Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

They didn't, and you can still do it but you have to get to the back of the unit to do so. You need to fabricate a dongle, I believe, to send the commands in that way. I looked into it briefly before the announcement that it was coming officially and since I'm buying a 2019 it was all academic to me which is why I don't have specifics.

That's why I'm saying if that if you were willing to get to the back of the unit to install the block yourself that opens it up to working officially you are probably also willing to plug into the back and send the command that unlocks it now.

I'd definitely want to go the official route though because the speculation is the block will send more power to the phone and that's certainly better. I guess I'll know when the upgrade comes and I check with Ampere.

The 'easy' way of getting it running stopped working after one of the software updates (fair enough really because it was a security issue). People got all butt-hurt because when you take your car to the dealer they may or may not update the CMU and if they do so it'll stop AA from installing.

I'm on an iPhone now anyway so will have to see how much the official upgrade costs - CarPlay isn't as good as Android Auto anyway so I won't be paying top dollar for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What exactly do I need to do to sell a Pixel 2? My father passed away a couple weeks ago and I need to sell the Pixel I got him for Christmas. It was paid in full when I bought it, cell service was disconnected when I ended his plan, sim card is removed, and I factory reset the phone. Am I missing anything?

Did you remove his Google account first before factory resetting?

If not, the next time it's set up, it'll ask for his Google password and will be a brick until then.

If you manage to get access to the Google account and have to change its password, there's a waiting period before you'll be able to use it on the phone to get past the factory reset protection. It's either 24 or 72 hours, I can't remember. The idea is to make sure that if someone steals your phone they can't also quickly change your Google password too in order to bypass FRP.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 1, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

kitten smoothie posted:

Did you remove his Google account first before factory resetting?

If not, the next time it's set up, it'll ask for his Google password and will be a brick until then.

If you manage to get access to the Google account and have to change its password, there's a waiting period before you'll be able to use it on the phone to get past the factory reset protection. It's either 24 or 72 hours, I can't remember. The idea is to make sure that if someone steals your phone they can't also quickly change your Google password too in order to bypass FRP.

I did not, I assumed the reset did that. I'll have to do that then

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aNfvIIl8o

The HTC U12 Plus's cloth speaker grills can easily fall out (they're held in by simple adhesive), the fake "buttons" can also fall off as they're apparently glued on as well, and the entire back of the phone can be pried off by hand as the adhesive they use on it is absolute garbage...all you have to do is bend the phone a little bit and just pull the back off.

It's supposed to be IP68 but I think they're lying.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

incogneato posted:

Does anyone have any of those Google store coupons still unused? Was looking at getting a Google Home.

The coupon was only good for the Pixel 2, although some people were able to get a Google Home Mini for free as an add on.

If you do want a coupon still, check here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7z6ibj/loyal_nexus_owner_code_sharing_megathread/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

teagone posted:

On my Mate SE I'm having an odd video playback issue. When I play videos/livestreams in the phone's native video app, everything runs solid. Though, when I watch videos in the Plex app, or open a livestream in the Twitch app, the video plays fine but sometimes there's a bit of judder(?) every now and then. Think that's the best way to describe it, but like for instance, on a Twitch livestream that's playing at 720p60, it'll run butter smooth 60fps, but then for a few seconds it'll get slightly suttery and then go back to being butter smooth. It consistently goes back and forth like that. It's not super bad or distracting, but it's definitely noticeable.

What's also weird is when I open up the same 720p60 stream that's being broadcasted on Twitch in the YouTube Gaming app (for example, Capcom Pro Tour), the video runs smooth with no judder/jitter in YouTube Gaming. Is this a hardware related issue? Or software? Or both?

Sometimes it's the app, sometimes the streamer's bitrate is high enough that some apps/hardware just choke on it. Twitch specifically can have playback issues with uploaders running high bitrates. My Chromecast can give choppy playback on this one csgo (don't judge me) stream, but play fine on Mac Safari. I've run mk8d at 4-6mbps, and depending on how they're watching it, it'll play like poo poo even if they have good internet.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 1, 2018

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The coupon was only good for the Pixel 2, although some people were able to get a Google Home Mini for free as an add on.

If you do want a coupon still, check here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7z6ibj/loyal_nexus_owner_code_sharing_megathread/

Ah gotcha, thanks. I had misremembered what the code was about.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmm, Google missed their own vague before-July deadline for DP4.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

azurite posted:

I took a look at my Pioneer head unit's open source components and found out that it actually does run Android. It's heavily skinned, but it's Android.

That makes me really happy. Now install iOS on it for lulz.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What exactly do I need to do to sell a Pixel 2? My father passed away a couple weeks ago and I need to sell the Pixel I got him for Christmas. It was paid in full when I bought it, cell service was disconnected when I ended his plan, sim card is removed, and I factory reset the phone. Am I missing anything?

I don't think you're missing anything for sale of the phone. Sorry for your loss.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Verge posted:

That makes me really happy. Now install iOS on it for lulz.

It also has Quake tucked somewhere in there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I went ahead and started the initial setup of my dad's Pixel 2, and skipped everything except connecting to wifi. There seemed to be no Google account on it at all, so a factory reset must've removed it. As far as I can tell, its bone stock now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I went ahead and started the initial setup of my dad's Pixel 2, and skipped everything except connecting to wifi. There seemed to be no Google account on it at all, so a factory reset must've removed it. As far as I can tell, its bone stock now

Then it's good to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

IIRC if you factory reset from within Android you're fine, if you reset from recovery you need the Google account password.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ilkhan posted:

IIRC if you factory reset from within Android you're fine, if you reset from recovery you need the Google account password.

Yep, that's what I did, unlocked the phone, went to settings and reset the phone

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Folks, little help: the GPS on my phone (Moto G 4+ dual SIM) is misbehaving. It suddenly stopped getting a GPS lock a couple days ago. Both Maps and Waze only get location data from cellphone towers, and when I try with a specific app (GPS status) it seems like it can see satellites, but can't lock onto any of them.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

Folks, little help: the GPS on my phone (Moto G 4+ dual SIM) is misbehaving. It suddenly stopped getting a GPS lock a couple days ago. Both Maps and Waze only get location data from cellphone towers, and when I try with a specific app (GPS status) it seems like it can see satellites, but can't lock onto any of them.

Assuming you're using GPS Status & Toolbox, try clearing the A-GPS data with it. I don't have my phone next to me to walk you through it, but if you can't figure it out reply back here and I'll look it up. Basically you want something that says "refresh AGPS" or something like that.

Somewhere in the settings is a "Time to lock" toggle that's disabled by default. If you turn that on it will show what kind of GPS performance you're getting from a warm startup. (It will always be slow the first time after clearing A-GPS data though.) . Either way as the A-GPS data becomes stale, it's good to have that option already enabled so you can see if your performance is degrading over time.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mikl posted:

I had that happen on my Z1 Compact. I restarted it, started a navigation route in google maps then just left it sitting on the table for hours hooked up to a charger. I figured that a navigation screen constantly on would mean it does the most work to find its position. At some point it sorted itself out. No idea if it actually helped or if it will work for you, but it's easy to try.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the answers! :)

I'll try them as soon as I get home from work, I'll let you know if they solve things. (I had tried everything: turning GPS off and on again, rebooting my phone, putting it into flight mode and into normal mode again... Everything short of doing a full phone reset, which I'd like to avoid because it's a pain in the rear end to set everything up again later.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

Thanks for the answers! :)

I'll try them as soon as I get home from work, I'll let you know if they solve things. (I had tried everything: turning GPS off and on again, rebooting my phone, putting it into flight mode and into normal mode again... Everything short of doing a full phone reset, which I'd like to avoid because it's a pain in the rear end to set everything up again later.)

I just checked for you, it's in the hamburger menu off to the left "Manage A-GPS State". Hit download. Time to fix is in the same hamburger menu, Settings, Display & Tools, toggle at the bottom. I'd do that before downloading just so you can see exactly how long it takes once you do. There are readings for satellites visible and how many are locked, that number should steadily increase as you run the app.

Remember that the Moto G doesn't have a compass which will negatively affect GPS locking time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hey why the gently caress does Google's own Podcast app not support casting?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will probably come in the next couple updates before they abandon the app altogether.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Case post to follow:

I'm going to the beach soon and I'm looking for some kind of water-proof case, mostly to keep sand from scratching things. Have any of you guys had any experience with these cheaper chinese knockoff waterproof cases I see popping up these days when I search on Amazon.... I am leary of quality control on these things, but also don't know if I want to drop 50 bucks on a LifeProof case just to keep sand from scratching my screen....

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It will probably come in the next couple updates before they abandon the app altogether.

But will they abandon it before or after they add a chat feature?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I just checked for you, it's in the hamburger menu off to the left "Manage A-GPS State". Hit download. Time to fix is in the same hamburger menu, Settings, Display & Tools, toggle at the bottom. I'd do that before downloading just so you can see exactly how long it takes once you do. There are readings for satellites visible and how many are locked, that number should steadily increase as you run the app.

Remember that the Moto G doesn't have a compass which will negatively affect GPS locking time.

Alright, thanks for this. Using the app you linked and placing the phone next to a window I was able to get a lock after a minute or so. Tomorrow I'll check if it still gets the GPS fix when I use Waze when driving, maybe it was a temporary glitch.

As an aside: I've traveled quite a bit, internationally, in the past few weeks; could this be the reason my phone had trouble finding a GPS signal?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Case post to follow:

I'm going to the beach soon and I'm looking for some kind of water-proof case, mostly to keep sand from scratching things. Have any of you guys had any experience with these cheaper chinese knockoff waterproof cases I see popping up these days when I search on Amazon.... I am leary of quality control on these things, but also don't know if I want to drop 50 bucks on a LifeProof case just to keep sand from scratching my screen....

When I go to the beach I just keep the phone in a freezer bag. It keeps sand/water from wet hands out, but I would not trust submerging it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I was going to ask if you really need a form fitting case or just a dry pouch to put the phone in. The latter is going to be more versatile down the road.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

elmer chud posted:

When I go to the beach I just keep the phone in a freezer bag. It keeps sand/water from wet hands out, but I would not trust submerging it.

Yeah, I used to do this also, but I'm looking for something a little more robust that I can actually use my phone with, at least to take photos. I suppose I should have specified this...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My first gen pixel's battery is having trouble holding a charge. I probably have 500-600 cycles on the battery. I deep discharge it probably 8 times a week. Phone is great otherwise.

Do I

1) replace the battery, wait for Pixel 3
2) get a pixel 2
3) wait for Pixel 3 in Octoberish
4) get a Moto g 6

I'm on project Fi. I require an equal or better camera than i have right now. I heard the G6 has the same camera as some old Samsung halo phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's only $80 to get the battery replaced at ubreakifix. It's by far the cheapest of the options.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hadlock posted:

My first gen pixel's battery is having trouble holding a charge. I probably have 500-600 cycles on the battery. I deep discharge it probably 8 times a week. Phone is great otherwise.

Jesus. Are you glued to that thing 24/7?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bronin posted:

Jesus. Are you glued to that thing 24/7?

Millenials. drat kids too busy eating rear end and staring at their phones

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
DP4 is now available:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/02/android-p-developer-preview-4-now-available/

So far no OTA on my 2XL but it should arrive pretty soon.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I was at an airshow over the weekend and, although some are blurry messes, I'm so impressed at some of the photos I was able to catch:

Pixel 2, unedited. I noticed from some of the video I shot that you can tell when an image was captured, as there's a slight stutter: like it's dropped a single frame or something. Still, being able to catch clear images of small objects going at high speeds across a blue smear of sky, using a phone camera, is some amazing stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Uthor posted:

A bug with smart lock? :ohdear:

Now that it's been seventy-two hours, I know what the problem was, with the forced lockout requiring a pin.
I had added my address as a trusted location and forgot about it, but it was incorrect; the street address was right, but the postal code (which matters more in Canada for geographic location) was not.
And Google, in their infinite wisdom, won't let me change the postal code to the one I actually have, and would rather I use theirs, so gently caress them. I removed address as a trusted location, and the lockout hasn't reappeared.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2018

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shai-Hulud posted:

DP4 is now available:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/02/android-p-developer-preview-4-now-available/

So far no OTA on my 2XL but it should arrive pretty soon.

Nice

Also you can't factory reset this version without removing all Google accounts first, just in case anyone needs to

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's only $80 to get the battery replaced at ubreakifix. It's by far the cheapest of the options.

I don't know if I would trust ubreakifix. There's been a lot of incidents on /r/GooglePixel about them breaking phones and wanting more money to fix what they broke.

Also, when I went to the one here in Omaha, the guy didn't even seem to know what the Pixel 2 was and decided "Oh your phone is fine. That's normal" when it was blaring static right in front of him.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh, just got the p4 OTA on my OG pixel

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know if I would trust ubreakifix. There's been a lot of incidents on /r/GooglePixel about them breaking phones and wanting more money to fix what they broke.

Also, when I went to the one here in Omaha, the guy didn't even seem to know what the Pixel 2 was and decided "Oh your phone is fine. That's normal" when it was blaring static right in front of him.

That seems like something you take to Google then since they are the official partner for warranty and repair work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey guys, I have a device question. Looking into getting a new phone.

My current phone is a Moto 5GS+ which I've had for about 6 months. I picked it up cheap because AT&T wouldn't accept my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Active) as a trade-in since its screen cracked badly after I dropped it in a parking garage once, which is something I would have expected a phone whose marketing heavily features people taking it mountain-climbing and kayaking etc to be able to handle, and the entire experience kind of left me feeling bitter at Samsung (and at AT&T's "Next" plan). So I just got the 5GS+ unlocked as a one-off from Newegg and thought that was the end of it.

The main problem is that it tends to lose cell and LTE signal much more easily than other AT&T phones do -- sometimes it'll fail completely at getting me directions home or traffic data when I'm out driving; sometimes while I'm sitting at work I'll get like 6 or 7 SMS messages at once which I was supposed to have received over the course of the day. Sometimes it vehemently refuses to load web content when everyone else's phone can do so with no issue. I looked into it and it looks like the 5GS+ receives cell data on fewer frequencies and LTE on fewer bands than a lot of other phones do, which (a) is exactly the kind of tech spec I would normally completely ignore, and (b) suggests it's a problem with the specific phone I bought. So I'm considering getting a new one even though it's only been 6 months since I got this one. I'm traveling abroad next month or so and I don't really want to have to worry about where I can or can't get cell service.

The options I'm considering are:
a) just getting the Moto G6, as its specs indicate more frequencies and bands etc than the 5GS+'s do, which might solve the problem cheaply. $215 on Newegg, which seems insane since the 5GS+ cost more than that 6 months ago. Amazon only sells the kind that is preloaded with their lovely bloatware, so this option is Newegg-only.
b) coming crawling back to Samsung and getting the Galaxy A8 -- I'm still salty that I sprung for the Galaxy S6 "Active" and the thing couldn't even handle a parking garage, and I don't like Samsung bloatware, but Samsung phones have historically been very reliable for me in ways that my current phone is not. About $400 on Newegg/Amazon.
c) calling the whole budget-phone idea a failed experiment and just getting a loving Galaxy S9. Around $700 on Newegg/Amazon, or I could pay AT&T $26 a month for a while. I'm mostly only considering this option because I'm operating under the assumption that you can't do Wi-Fi calling on a non-carrier-branded phone (it certainly doesn't seem to work on the 5GS+); let me know if I'm being stupid on that one.

Which of these options would be my best bet, or barring that am I being an idiot even considering getting a new phone at this phase at all and/or would doing so not even solve my cell-signal problem? Thanks in advance for any help!