Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, Yamaha exhaust systems are rube goldberg devices that wind up being more useful as ballast weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
Replaced the stock can with a stainless Arrow Pro-Racing slip-on. The 8th gen was well refined prior to, but now the output feels more linear and polished across the entire power band. I removed the baffle prior to install because there are no neighbors and it suits the VFR’s V-4 extremely well in my opinion.

Because it’s out, I also feel like I’m walking a jagged line between :rice: and :whatup: with the gen pop... so going forward I’m going to try really hard and limit my rev bombing to once every 30 seconds instead of every time I see someone when riding in the city.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fixed my dead cooling fan.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

chicagobutters posted:

Replaced the stock can with a stainless Arrow Pro-Racing slip-on. The 8th gen was well refined prior to, but now the output feels more linear and polished across the entire power band. I removed the baffle prior to install because there are no neighbors and it suits the VFR’s V-4 extremely well in my opinion.

Because it’s out, I also feel like I’m walking a jagged line between :rice: and :whatup: with the gen pop... so going forward I’m going to try really hard and limit my rev bombing to once every 30 seconds instead of every time I see someone when riding in the city.

I love the gurgle and pop off throttle at around 4k rpm...

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

chicagobutters posted:

I don't feel bad about riding with no baffle on my ex500 in neighborhood, which is pretty loud, but probably less loud than your vfr, and hilariously quiet next to my buddy's straightpiped shadow 1100.

Mostly because there's a guy who works on his mustang in the mornings and revs the piss out of it for 5-10 minutes at a time, so I'm basically Mr. Rogers in comparison to that anus.

I just commented so I could say your bike is gorgeous and I've been looking hard for a new old-stock VFR to show up somewhere for cheap as my next bike, but it's been really hard finding a DLX, since I really want ABS, and the heated grips would be nice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I changed my mind about selling it. So,

$40 r6 calipers off a racer that was cleaning house

$free crg levers from work

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You have made the right choice, friend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
painted the faded hosed up front sprocket cover with the ole rustoleum semi gloss, it came out great, and of course now the engine looks like poo poo in comparison, lol.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cleaned up the last couple maintenance items on my 300 XCW after doing the 24 hour enduro

-New air filter
-Transmission oil change
-Dropped the power valve exhaust spring to the pussy spring
-removed smashed headlight housing from the mask
-changed counter shaft seal to fix a drip issue
-clean and lubed chain
-cleaned up engine area from oil grime and caked dirt

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I'm so bad at motorcycle. Finally got the exhaust refitted onto the Wee, with new gaskets this time. Will power up this afternoon and if it still leaks I'm just loving taking it to a mechanic. Gotta get her sold while there's still sunshine. Meanwhile it's also got leaky fork seals so I'm gonna snab one of those thin plastic cleaner tools since I don't actually have any 35mm film on hand.

Also put a set of radiator brackets on the Rex, except I need to cut down or find two smaller screws. Forgot to bring them in to work this morning to check against our stock.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed some shinko 705s to my 1290 SAR

also did the first service without a funnel 😎

wings shorty can gets installed tonight :mrgw:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
determined that my wiring harness is hosed, replaced the same fuse twice, moved it into the basement and started to rip the electronics apart

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty generous calling anything on an Enfield electronics.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed this. slovenians ship packages quick

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No leaks from the Wee's exhaust. Fork seals still leaking after running the plastic around the inside. Boo to that.

Big thanks to Slavvy for recommending I use a mechanic's pick to get the carb boot springs back on for the ZRX. I used a strongly hooked pick to get the far side of the spring into place, and spring tension kept it in place so I could roll the rest of it around with my fingers. Turned a drat near impossible and demoralizing task into 30 seconds of work.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Slavvy posted:

Pretty generous calling anything on an Enfield electronics.

"assorted bundles of colored wires"

After taping a couple worn spots, letting it all dry out and then ziptieing it back together, it's running like a champ again. Did the few mile roundtrip to the local sand pit to dump some .22lr mags before work today, tomorrow I'll ride the ~20 mile round trip to town, and if that goes well I will assume I have a somewhat functional bike again.

Looking forward to hopefully being in a position to upgrade next season.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tim Raines IRL posted:

After taping a couple worn spots, letting it all dry out and then ziptieing it back together, it's running like a champ again. Did the few mile roundtrip to the local sand pit to dump some .22lr mags before work today, tomorrow I'll ride the ~20 mile round trip to town, and if that goes well I will assume I have a somewhat functional bike again.

Where tf do you live, this sounds like how I grew up.

Cobbled together farm vehicles and all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

No leaks from the Wee's exhaust. Fork seals still leaking after running the plastic around the inside. Boo to that.

Big thanks to Slavvy for recommending I use a mechanic's pick to get the carb boot springs back on for the ZRX. I used a strongly hooked pick to get the far side of the spring into place, and spring tension kept it in place so I could roll the rest of it around with my fingers. Turned a drat near impossible and demoralizing task into 30 seconds of work.

Awesome :)

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If you had half your extended family on the back, that's pretty much what the bike designed for.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where tf do you live, this sounds like how I grew up.

an area of vermont that's up on a mountain, quite rural, and mostly working/middle class with occasional 1%er lavish estates dotting the landscape.

I routinely drive by some guy ~10 miles away on an even crazier dirt road, who has what appears to be a home-made gondola on lines ~15' in the air, fashioned out of some kind of scavenged vehicle cab. I am always tempted to stop by, seems like someone I'd like to know.

Slavvy posted:

If you had half your extended family on the back, that's pretty much what the bike designed for

I keep telling my wife this but she still won't let me put our 18 month old on my back while I ride.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

an area of vermont that's up on a mountain, quite rural, and mostly working/middle class with occasional 1%er lavish estates dotting the landscape.

I routinely drive by some guy ~10 miles away on an even crazier dirt road, who has what appears to be a home-made gondola on lines ~15' in the air, fashioned out of some kind of scavenged vehicle cab. I am always tempted to stop by, seems like someone I'd like to know.

I keep telling my wife this but she still won't let me put our 18 month old on my back while I ride.

Really little kids go in the front. Just make sure they don't touch the header.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ugh. Got on i25 to run down to Performance Cycle and buy a Sena. About 7-8 miles into a 70-75 cruise, started noticing power loss and then it started straight stumbling, and died on the side of the road. Had a smoke, waited five, got it back up with some choke and side-roaded it home.

Step 1: clean the air filter at least.

holy god. That was clean water and purple power when i started.

Step 2: pulled tank, pulled PETCOCK, the filter elements on the end were ok but the tubes were heavily varnished. I disassembled it as much as I could and assaulted it with carb cleaner. No inline filter stock on this biek; going to add one once we get it running smoothly. I would have picked up a new PETCOCK locally, but they want 93 bucks and Amazon wants 13.

The vac line to the petcock is one size up from what it should be, and with the clamps there's an adequate but not confidence-building seal at the fittings. I'm going to buy some size-down vac line and replace that today.

It's the oddest thing, bike has gone 450 miles in the past 2 weeks on <55 roads just fine, but dies on that freeway after 5-10 minutes in 6th - happened twice now. Temp gauge has never gotten past halfway - matter of fact it was about 40% when I was on I25. I'm suspecting there's either an air or fuel delivery problem, hopefully this will knock some sense into it. Next step is a week ride break while i rebuild the carbs and build a sync gadget.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you're not forgetting about the reserve setting on the petcock, right?

thinking about it a little more: the vacuum line not being fitted correctly sounds fishy...your symptoms are exactly what happens when the engine starts to run out of fuel, and at high speeds and wide throttle you're gonna have reduced vacuum, so i could imagine that your already-leaky vacuum line + long highway ride with reduced suction is closing off the petcock juuuust enough to starve it of fuel after x minutes. Definitely replace that first before you dig into the carbs, because carburetor fuel problems would show up pretty much immediately according to throttle position, not after extended running.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, we've slacked about it and evidently it's a smart play to go to a normal gravity petcock without the goofy vac diaphragm in the mix, so i'll order one of those, but in the meantime, i'm going to replace the vac line today and see if it starts to play ball. It's definitely not on reserve or off; i topped the tank last night, rode five miles, and today when it fell over and I checked the tank, still within 1/2" of the filler neck collar thing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Check the vents in the tank too, Nerobro of old rattle canned a gas tank and blocked off one of the tank vents. When he got near WOT, it would act starved of fuel until we got in there and opened it back up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep. that's gotta be it. Cap vent is hosed up. but it's by [mis]design!

ex500.com:

quote:

Symptoms are:
- The motorbike seeming to run out of fuel, causing you to pull up at the side of the road scratching your head wondering what the problem is, then after 5 minutes pondering the bike starts up again as if the issue never occured

I've pulled the little offending orange diaphragm (it was stiff and brittle) and we'll give it a rip tonight after work. I suspect it'll run fine. I've been told that if I invert my bike now, a couple of drops of gas might leak out the cap. bother.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Be careful about those generic gravity-feed replacement petcocks. I ordered one for my GS750 10 years ago, and it worked fine for a year. Then, the action of rotating the valve from OFF to ON over time wore a groove in the valve face, which allowed the valve to go out of alignment with the passages inside. After that, it leaked gas through the valve face until I replaced it with a new OEM petcock.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out yesterday is the grossest conditions ever. And then got stuck for 45 minutes just trying to get off the drat highway when an accident blocked off the entire westbound 401. Took 2 hours to do an hour trip, with the humidex in the mid 40s. Bleagh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have to ingest about a half liter of water every hour to keep equilibrium here in desert-ish Denver, but i'd never trade it for that poo poo.

---

Fixed my bike. EX500 tank caps have a little diaphragm one-way vent for air intake that hardens over time. Deleted it and the bike's run fine over 45 miles today, including 15 miles at freeway speeds. Good to go.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Yep. that's gotta be it. Cap vent is hosed up. but it's by [mis]design!

ex500.com:

I've pulled the little offending orange diaphragm (it was stiff and brittle) and we'll give it a rip tonight after work. I suspect it'll run fine. I've been told that if I invert my bike now, a couple of drops of gas might leak out the cap. bother.

Would you take through your history and a link to this thread please? I'm not getting any hits on Google. My old EX500 that I sold buddy does the same poo poo sometimes

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.
I added stompgrips which are thankfully nearly invisible once you take a step back. Also I got lazy during application and ended up with two air bubbles.

Something I didn't think about buying a 2015 with 99 miles is that the KTM warranty is expired and the first service never happened. So today I changed the oil at 700 miles.

I think I will lube the chain next, but I'm not sure what else to do. I guess the first service includes valve adjustment, but some rc390 forums posts make it sound like its unnecessary until 3k miles.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

added a left side ktm powerparts pannier. and then put ~400mi on it riding to and from la pine. oh and another 100 or so on OHV trails, single track, and gravel :D

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I have to ingest about a half liter of water every hour to keep equilibrium here in desert-ish Denver, but i'd never trade it for that poo poo.

Grew up in Calgary, folks lived in Littleton for a while. I'll take dry & mountainous over this poo poo any day.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New tank! Can't wait to smash my nards into it.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Cylon Dinner Party posted:

I added stompgrips which are thankfully nearly invisible once you take a step back. Also I got lazy during application and ended up with two air bubbles.

Something I didn't think about buying a 2015 with 99 miles is that the KTM warranty is expired and the first service never happened. So today I changed the oil at 700 miles.

I think I will lube the chain next, but I'm not sure what else to do. I guess the first service includes valve adjustment, but some rc390 forums posts make it sound like its unnecessary until 3k miles.

Last time I had an air bubble like that I just stuck a thumbtack in it and pushed the grip down.

advion fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 2, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I dumped the bike last week the only really annoying damage was bending the shift peg backwards. Kind of tricky to ride home but I made it.

Anyway when I tried to bend it back today it snapped off. Oh well. Ground the old peg remnants off, pounded the whole shifter arm flat on the anvil, cut down a 3/8" partially-threaded bolt, ground the head into a rivet-like shape, and welded that on. Works great.

The rubber bit on the peg was also pretty chewed up, so I thought about that for a bit, and then decided to 3D-print a new one out of Ninjaflex. I've got a couple of other parts on the bike made from that material, mostly rubber isolation mounts and some non-critical gaskets, but nothing that actually needs to stand up to repeated stress. This part gets kicked and stepped on hundreds of times on every ride so it'll be a neat experiment to see how long it lasts. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at just how much abuse the material can take. And I can always print another one in an hour if I need to...

Anyway here's the broken bits of the old peg with the 3D printed part and the new peg welded on (forgot to take a before pic)

Add some grease and heat and you can easily force the rubber thing over the peg

Looks great

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 3, 2018

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Waiting for the day “So I saw some flaws with Honda’s design and decided to 3d print my own motorcycle...”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like what you've done there in practice, it's a good solution and looks tidy and clean.

I hate what you've done there on principle cause no matter how much you dress it up you're still one of those terrible people that use a bolt for a broken off pedal tip :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I literally had a chunk of 3/4" steel rod in my hand and was staring at the lathe before I decided that I wasn't that kind of person.

I like to do things the right way, but a steel shaft with a nub on the end is a steel shaft with a nub on the end, no matter what form the stock originally took.

This is better than the original part anyway because the original peg was only brazed into place, while this one is TIG-welded :science:

e: y'all also apparently didn't notice the non-stock VFR passenger pegs I'm using as the main pegs because I did such a solid job machining those to fit

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 3, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait the stock one is brazed? :psyduck:

That's totally understandable, you're upgrading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shifter bolt crew checking in :hfive:

It was a P.O. fix but it’s done well so I leave it.