Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All of the NJPW regulars, even the flyin talent are light years ahead of the ROH only guys. Even dudes I absolutely love like Silas Young are nowhere near where they should be in stature because ROH is this weird black hole they fall into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
ROH somehow found a way to make me even less interested in their world title

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

ROH somehow found a way to make me even less interested in their world title

they streamed it live on Honor Club sooooo congratulations to Jay Lethal

because you needed it

or something

god the ME scene just utterly blows

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Put the belt on the guy fans wanted to see win it a year before
Have his first title defenses not main event cards in favor of Bullet Club, and even when they do have it only be main eventing because Bullet Club members are in the match
Falsely advertise champ for tour he's hurt for the entirety of, knowing he can't compete in it
Have champ work for months after the injury, not having time to properly heal and aggravating the injury in the process
Have him finally drop it to Jay Lethal

Yeah, they did everything they could to have me disinterested in Dalton's reign, even when him getting a reign was the big/only thing I looked forward to happening all last year from the company

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ring of Horror!

e: Ring of hogwash

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 1, 2018

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There hasn't been a good ROH world title reign since the last time Lethal had the belt.

After that you had:

- weird Adam Cole -> KOR -> Adam Cole belt swap
- Christoper Daniels run I forgot about already
- Cody doing Cody stuff
- Dalton Castle

Yeesh. Dalton's reign could have been great if he got the title a year earlier and hadn't gotten hurt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

marty should have won it in april

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just have Naito win it and toss it in the ocean with IWGP IC belt

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was about to wax poetic about how much I miss Lethal's world title run from a few years ago, completely unaware that he won the title today. I miss when ROH had that weirdly amazing run in 2014/2015.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bring Back Truth Martini

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont think roh has had a really exciting world champion since steen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont think roh has had a really exciting world champion since steen.

they haven't really had exciting anything unless somehow the Bucks are involved since Steen

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I was about to wax poetic about how much I miss Lethal's world title run from a few years ago, completely unaware that he won the title today. I miss when ROH had that weirdly amazing run in 2014/2015.

Yesterday me and my roommate were talking about how great lethal was as champ and how much we missed him. I wished he was champ but not like this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait they gave Lethal the title with almost no build? LMFAO.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait they gave Lethal the title with almost no build? LMFAO.

they've been building to it for the past few months with lethal going over everyone who has beaten him since losing the belt before. im guessing dalton hit his wall and cannot go anymore so they pulled the trigger earlier than they were planning to.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Put the belt on the guy fans wanted to see win it a year before
Have his first title defenses not main event cards in favor of Bullet Club, and even when they do have it only be main eventing because Bullet Club members are in the match
Falsely advertise champ for tour he's hurt for the entirety of, knowing he can't compete in it
Have champ work for months after the injury, not having time to properly heal and aggravating the injury in the process
Have him finally drop it to Jay Lethal

Yeah, they did everything they could to have me disinterested in Dalton's reign, even when him getting a reign was the big/only thing I looked forward to happening all last year from the company

:negative:

my dude Dalton Castle deserved better, god drat it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh is not very good at booking babyface champions, or at least they've shown an inability to. actually thats not really true, i thought briscoe's two reigns were done really well. dunno why he didnt break out more.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh was late on getting the belt to tyler black, they were late on getting the belt to elgin, they were late on getting the belt to kyle, i dunno if i'd say they were late getting the belt to dalton because i dont know that i ever felt he was there yet, but roh has a history of waiting too long to pull the trigger on the babyface. they got it extremely right with edwards and richards though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2011 underrated year for roh.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

roh is not very good at booking babyface champions, or at least they've shown an inability to. actually thats not really true, i thought briscoe's two reigns were done really well. dunno why he didnt break out more.

Briscoes torpedo’d themselves by going on social media.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Monkey Paw booking

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Dalton you deserved better :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they've been building to it for the past few months with lethal going over everyone who has beaten him since losing the belt before. im guessing dalton hit his wall and cannot go anymore so they pulled the trigger earlier than they were planning to.

I know the first part but like I consider that the first act of a build, then [SCENE MISSING] then act 4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know the first part but like I consider that the first act of a build, then [SCENE MISSING] then act 4.

What was act 2 and 3 supposed to be then, because honestly, the logical next step is "I challenge the champion now that I've redeemed myself"? They obviously rushed through the build to the actual title match, but that was because Cody and Marty's New Japan roles don't allow them to be the ROH champion right now so they had to have Dalton retain and then drop to someone else.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

What was act 2 and 3 then, because honestly, the logical next step is "I challenge the champion now that I've redeemed myself".

Let's see. Any direct promo exchange leading up to the match, any decent sized stage whatsoever (i.e. not a nothing show immediately after a much bigger built title defense at a PPV), any promotion at all on TV about where and when the match would take place (and you could apparently watch it on Honor Club so they'd have been smart to really drive that home), anything on TV to drive home what Lethal was doing other than a mediocre ROH promo package...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Dalton's injuries are so bad you have to get the belt off him ASAP, and they don't want Cody being the champ when everyone knows he's jobbing at Cow Palace, why not just give it to Marty at the PPV? It's not like he's doing anything in Japan right now with the G1 coming up, and you could easily use him to transition the belt to Lethal without making it feel so random.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

If Dalton's injuries are so bad you have to get the belt off him ASAP, and they don't want Cody being the champ when everyone knows he's jobbing at Cow Palace, why not just give it to Marty at the PPV? It's not like he's doing anything in Japan right now with the G1 coming up, and you could easily use him to transition the belt to Lethal without making it feel so random.

Marty's doing the job on a tag match on the undercard of the same SF show. He's tagging with Adam Page against Tanahashi and KUSHIDA, and they're not going to job out Hangman or Tana before the G1. And having an active junior on the New Japan roster holding the ROH world title doesn't look great when he's going to consistently be the fall guy in multi-mans over there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Convince people to subscribe to Honor Club, anything can happen at the house shows, type of deal. Imagine that's the logic at least. Still feels a bit of a hotshot but I can see what they were thinking at least. Not sure it'll actually help any

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

if the direction is to put the title on cody after the cow palace show, or if it's austin aries or matt taven or someone else, jay lethal makes total sense. it's another babyface champion who can fight the same challengers dalton would have, it works as a culmination of his whole redemption storyline, and he's already had a long title reign so if this one winds up being transitional it won't really hurt him.

also, i think this is actually the first time the world title has ever changed hands on tv, so now the next time they do a title match it won't feel like as much of a foregone conclusion. sometimes doing stuff out of nowhere is good. sometimes you should surprise people.

also also, jay lethal is an extremely good wrestler and he's really over with roh crowds so, like, why not

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a strong feeling that Lethal's transformation into Black Machismo on Being the Elite is leading to Black Machismo vs. Cody (who Lethal thinks is Dusty and therefore wants to murder)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I have a strong feeling that Lethal's transformation into Black Machismo on Being the Elite is leading to Black Machismo vs. Cody (who Lethal thinks is Dusty and therefore wants to murder)

Could be a misdirect and he goes in as Flair. (Admittedly, Cody's gimmick basically already is Ric Flair, which is kind of genius. Dusty's son becoming the spitting image of his greatest rival?)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh God I just realized Lethal would recognize Brandi as Sapphire

They almost have to do that

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

STONE COLD 64 posted:

roh was late on getting the belt to tyler black, they were late on getting the belt to elgin, they were late on getting the belt to kyle, i dunno if i'd say they were late getting the belt to dalton because i dont know that i ever felt he was there yet, but roh has a history of waiting too long to pull the trigger on the babyface. they got it extremely right with edwards and richards though.

Ugh now I’m sad again that Eddie got sucked into the black hole that is TNA

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
A big past for days for ROH. They had a PPV with match of the year candidates and then a huge title change the next night. Both nights with over 3000 fans in attendance.

Here's a great column talking about the title change from Saturday.

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/0...major-spoilers/

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Roque11 posted:

A big past for days for ROH. They had a PPV with match of the year candidates and then a huge title change the next night. Both nights with over 3000 fans in attendance.

Here's a great column talking about the title change from Saturday.

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/0...major-spoilers/

Not that I know anything of the deals they got on the venues, but they were 3000 people in a 6000 and 10000 seater each. That had to hurt.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

OGB posted:

Not that I know anything of the deals they got on the venues, but they were 3000 people in a 6000 and 10000 seater each. That had to hurt.
Look buddy it's still 3,000 more people than you or I had come to watch our wrestling promotion, furthermore I know I never even had Kyle O'Reilly signed to a contract so that's another reason ROH is a better wrestling promotion than me and I should not criticize their decisions until I've walked a mile in their shoes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

your ring ropes are fresh

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Calling anything involving Jay Lethal or Dalton Castle MOTYC worthy is a bit of a reach.

But thanks for the chuckle, Roque.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
ROH parted ways with their biggest star last night

https://twitter.com/DeonnaPurrazzo/status/1013557233819488259

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Calling anything involving Jay Lethal or Dalton Castle MOTYC worthy is a bit of a reach.

But thanks for the chuckle, Roque.

Dalton, maybe, but Lethal is legit a fantastic worker. With the right opponent, he could absolutely have a MOTYC.

• Locked thread