Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda feel like Genos just going “nah” when Bang showed him Flowing Water Crushing Rock was real real dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

NowonSA posted:

and I hope it keeps Genos from being completely punked.

You know it won’t, right?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looking forward to seeing Genos go full Face Open some time.

He really oughta learn some martial arts though, Saitama style only really works for Saitama.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Mr. Lobe posted:

I appreciate that he is minmaxing his inherent glass cannonhood. If you accept that being chumped is inevitable, why not go all out before you get wrecked?

saitama minmaxed with written exams as his dump stat

genos dumpstats endurance

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

I appreciate that he is minmaxing his inherent glass cannonhood. If you accept that being chumped is inevitable, why not go all out before you get wrecked?

you can't get wrecked if the enemy's already dead . his master is a man that always wins in one hit so he must become one too

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Genos may always get wrecked by the most powerful monsters, but he still has cool fights which is all that matters. He is also clearly getting stronger

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fartbox posted:

He is also clearly getting stronger

To be fair that's mostly the good Doctor giving him better replacement parts whenever he gets smashed.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I respect genos for going maximum speed and power at all times

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda feel like Genos just going “nah” when Bang showed him Flowing Water Crushing Rock was real real dumb.

If FWCR was worth knowing, Saitama would know it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jerkface posted:

I respect genos for going maximum speed and power at all times

:same:

I also respect how he realized he keeps losing his arms and decided to weaponize his arms even after their removal.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Just picked up Vol. 14 yesterday and it was immensely satisfying to see Saitama just clown the former Kung-fu monster off-page

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bacon flaps posted:

If FWCR was worth knowing, Saitama would know it.

its worth knowing but saitama does NOT want to get stronger

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kild posted:

its worth knowing but saitama does NOT want to get stronger

In games where you can turn on a 1 hit kill godmode, it hardly matters if you get new moves

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Didn't the whole tournament arc start because he wanted to learn to fight for real so he could beat Garou?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SpacePig posted:

Didn't the whole tournament arc start because he wanted to learn to fight for real so he could beat Garou?

I thought it was just that it would be fun to see martial arts. You know, like going to the circus. Also maybe it would draw Garou out.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
All Saitama got out of the martial arts tournament is that maybe he should try spinning around and then booty bumped Suiryu.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SpacePig posted:

I feel like you've forgotten the manga you are reading. It's not "Try real hard so I can defeat the disposable villain of the week" Man.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Saitama literally went to the tournament in the hopes of finding someone who could beat him.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Keeshhound posted:

Saitama literally went to the tournament in the hopes of finding someone who could beat him.

It was this.

Maybe one of these masters will have the skill to beat Saitama up a little, maybe pose a challenge...

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I thought Saitama went to the tournament because he heard there was prize money.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
saitama learned that garou was strong because of his fighting technique and that garou was hunting the strongest heroes, so he went to see charanako because garou just beat the poo poo out of him and saitama asks about martial arts so charanako gives him his ticket

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 1, 2018

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man this has been a long loving arc compared to the Alien King. Almost forgot about the tournament.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sub Harrison posted:

Man this has been a long loving arc compared to the Alien King. Almost forgot about the tournament.

To be fair, this arc would probably be way less convoluted if ONE stopped planning in tangential fights for Murata to draw. The entire tournament was basically pointless otherwise.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not think the tournament was pointless.

It deals with the concept of how heroes are scene in society, which is a constant theme during this arc. You have a bunch of martial artists, Suiryu included, who look down on heroes. Both Inazuma and Sneck, who are A-Rank Heroes, are treated with scorn, and it's probably thematic that the one to take them both out of the tournament is Suiryu himself, who's pretty much on par with S-Rank Heroes.

But when poo poo goes down, and Suiryu goes up against monsters who are stronger than even him, the ones who save him are the very heroes who he didn't think much of. Sneck and Inazuma help him take down the 3 crows, and then tell him to make his escape while they hold off Gouketsu despite having no chance at all. Their reason for fighting against insurmountable odds being, simply, to save him. Then, when Suiryu's brought to near-death again by Bakuzan, he finally cracks and calls for help, it's Saitama, another hero, who saves him and completely changes his worldview.

Even during Suiryu's fight with Saitama, he talks about how heroes are worthless and meaningless, but that's juxtaposed with scenes of heroes protecting a hospital from the attacks of the Monster Association, invalidating his arguments that they're just in it for the fame and fortune, which is what pisses Saitama off.

You also get to see how Sneck's changed as a hero; he started out being a petty jerk who tried to crush Saitama as a form of hazing (the kind of hero that Suiryu looked down on), and during the Sea King arc he was hiding alongside civilians in the bunker, but this time around he (and Inazuma, who was also wrecked by the Sea King) willingly tries to go up against Goketsu, who is levels ahead of the Sea King.

I mean, I can understand if people aren't fond of the tournament arc or felt like it dragged out too long or have some other problems with it, but by no means do I think it was pointless to the overall plot of the series/arc.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The only real issue with the tournament stuff is that it kind of dragged on a bit due to OPM's erratic release schedule, not that the content was somehow bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're still at the start of this arc. It feels super long because the tournament and a bunch of other stuff has intersected the beginning.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The one version of the entire Garou fight coming up is so amazing, I can't wait to see it drawn by Murata.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked Garou's wolf mask in that one panel flashbacking a previous tournament

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hamelekim posted:

The one version of the entire Garou fight coming up is so amazing, I can't wait to see it drawn by Murata.

I can't wait for the tournament arc in the middle that just basically repeats the story beats presented in the meteor arc, Boros arc and Sea King arc.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Mordaedil posted:

I can't wait for the tournament arc in the middle that just basically repeats the story beats presented in the meteor arc, Boros arc and Sea King arc.

yeah but it'll be even sexier this time

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

yeah but it'll be even sexier this time

Good. I'm not really upset about the tournament, it was a fun rump that was drawn well, but I'd be lying if I said I thought it added to the plot.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Good. I'm not really upset about the tournament, it was a fun rump that was drawn well, but I'd be lying if I said I thought it added to the plot.

Forget about the plot, I don't think I've had any laugh out loud moments since that extra chapter where King went to a family restaurant. Murata draws amazing action, sexy ladies and cool mecha, but I don't recall very many additions to iconic gags like that time Sonic got punched in the nuts, sassy lost child, missing out on supermarket sales, and Saitama going "OK".

This is probably because we've been focusing on Garou as the protagonist of this arc. He's got no sense of humour or gag potential other than getting clowned by Saitama every time they meet, yet not remembering.

I was holding off on restarting the original because the end of the Garou fight was where I left it, and the redraw was consistently great at the time when it was adapting the webcomic. I hear great things about the next arc, about expansions to the lore, and most of all, I'm looking forward to new gags. Only downside is probably the glacial pace of updates once I'm caught up.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I like gags... But I also like tradition action comic stuff. So I don't really mind following Garou around in a traditional action-y storyline. His descent into the monster associations headquarters has been amaaazing

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's some good gags next arc, but we're not really in the meat of it and even after rereading it, I have a hard time telling where it is going.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
the problem with every arc is that it that the series is so goddamn good I always want to read what's gonna happen next and it's never here fast enough

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
There's not as many big gags as before, but there's still a lot of little things. The way some heroes act as super exaggerated versions of certain protagonist tropes is pretty funny to me. I laughed at this panel of Zombieman's over-the-top hard boiledness from the latest chapter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

It deals with the concept of how heroes are scene in society, which is a constant theme during this arc. You have a bunch of martial artists, Suiryu included, who look down on heroes. Both Inazuma and Sneck, who are A-Rank Heroes, are treated with scorn, and it's probably thematic that the one to take them both out of the tournament is Suiryu himself, who's pretty much on par with S-Rank Heroes.

But when poo poo goes down, and Suiryu goes up against monsters who are stronger than even him, the ones who save him are the very heroes who he didn't think much of. Sneck and Inazuma help him take down the 3 crows, and then tell him to make his escape while they hold off Gouketsu despite having no chance at all. Their reason for fighting against insurmountable odds being, simply, to save him. Then, when Suiryu's brought to near-death again by Bakuzan, he finally cracks and calls for help, it's Saitama, another hero, who saves him and completely changes his worldview.

Even during Suiryu's fight with Saitama, he talks about how heroes are worthless and meaningless, but that's juxtaposed with scenes of heroes protecting a hospital from the attacks of the Monster Association, invalidating his arguments that they're just in it for the fame and fortune, which is what pisses Saitama off.

You also get to see how Sneck's changed as a hero; he started out being a petty jerk who tried to crush Saitama as a form of hazing (the kind of hero that Suiryu looked down on), and during the Sea King arc he was hiding alongside civilians in the bunker, but this time around he (and Inazuma, who was also wrecked by the Sea King) willingly tries to go up against Goketsu, who is levels ahead of the Sea King.

I mean, I can understand if people aren't fond of the tournament arc or felt like it dragged out too long or have some other problems with it, but by no means do I think it was pointless to the overall plot of the series/arc.

I enjoy this series but you're analyzing it way more than I do with anything I watch/read. You're exactly right though. I don't even remember things like Sneck being in the civilian shelter when Sea King attacked.

TheChirurgeon posted:

the problem with every arc is that it that the series is so goddamn good I always want to read what's gonna happen next and it's never here fast enough

The curse of all media you become a fan of

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

yum posted:

There's not as many big gags as before, but there's still a lot of little things. The way some heroes act as super exaggerated versions of certain protagonist tropes is pretty funny to me. I laughed at this panel of Zombieman's over-the-top hard boiledness from the latest chapter

Also featured in this panel, my favorite recurring gag: Tatsumaki being ignored by everybody.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hate-Senpai posted:

I did remember all these things, and I did appreciate them during the tournament. It's a nice little detail. What do Sneck, Suiryu or the other martial artists have to do with Garou, though? At best they're tertiary characters in an already massive cast of heroes and bad guys. They're little tangents the manga goes on so Murata can draw cool fights. Sure, there is some world-building, but it's not exactly crucial.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cool fights, and I'll probably remember Metal Bat Vs Garou, Genos Vs Elder Centipede (Round 2, not Round 1) and Garou Vs Orochi for quite some time. Of course, there are also fights I won't remember because some of them are between one-off characters who never show up again.

This little offhand remark during the latest chapter for example:

I remember, there was a chapter where we saw all of this unfold complete with an introduction to ten new characters, long exposition sequences and a fight during which most of the characters died. One of the most laborious things I've ever read in Onepunch Man. Completely devoid of any emotional weight, no jokes. Very nicely drawn, though. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I was reading the OPM wiki and found this. Felt like posting it.