Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I got sunburned on my arms today while doing ranch work, and the heat and pain from it are gradually getting more and more intense.

And my back and shoulders are sore from the work. I am a sentient brain in a husk of pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
My mother swears (well-diluted) apple cider vinegar is the answer to a bad sunburn but I’ve never tried it and can’t speak from experience.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

burial posted:

My mother swears (well-diluted) apple cider vinegar is the answer to a bad sunburn but I’ve never tried it and can’t speak from experience.

Apple cider vinegar will cure just about anything depending on who you ask.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aloe is the way to go. Even in a hospital, it's what we use.

Lidocaine cream has poor absorption and is a scam, don't waste the money. You can also try something with a light eucalyptus, but not mint.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I'm allergic to aloe :(

I've been using an oatmeal eucerin lotion to stay moisturized and draping cold damp cloths on my arms and taking tylenol for the pain and thats about it.

Thanks for the treatment ideas though!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If allergic to aloe, I recommend plain old aquaphor if you can use that. Oatmeal is good, too, but I enjoy the results with aquaphor/hydrophor. It maintains the correct moisture content, too, so the skin doesn't macerate (turn white and soft). It actually absorbs moisture, keeping it away from the skin. Change daily or twice daily.

work in a burn center as a wound care tech

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Look, just because you’re a professional and my crazy mom read something on the internet and/or just has an apple cider vinegar fetish doesn’t mean you’re automatically right and she’s automatically wrong.

I’m sure there are several other good reasons too.

e: I am also grateful for the tips. Pretty much everyone in my immediate family but me seems to burn horribly no matter how often they reapply sunblock.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Unfortunately American made sunscreen is just not as effective as ones made in Europe or Australia (who need to be hyper vigilant about sunscreen effectiveness as the Aussie sun wants to kill you).
I would look at reviews for the brand you get and see how it fares. Hopefully you can get something stronger and better and that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Get at least a factor 30 cream and apply a teaspoons worth to all exposed body parts at least 20 mins before going outside.
The best prevention is also to cover up, wear long sleeves and trousers and a hat.
As the Aussies say Slip (on a shirt) Slop (on a factor 30+ cream) and Slap (on a Hat)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I think part of the issue may come from not applying far enough of ahead of time. The other part is that generally this occurs during situations where a hat and shirt aren’t really in the mix. The beach, for example.

I’ll really stress the waiting period next time, even though it’s kind of fun to be all “man, look how tan I am, lobster family.” (I’m not actually that tan. I just don’t burn as easily.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unroasted and roasted almonds are priced the same at the closest supermarket.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was having a really good time playing games last night and got so wrapped up in things that I stayed up way too late, so I only got 4 hours of sleep.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How busy can you be with a urinal

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've mentally checked out of my job so hard that I feel bad about the fact that I don't feel bad anymore.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We wanted to adopt a new cat but all the shelters are closed for the holiday. The husband and I are also working opposing shifts all week so we don't have any time to go together until next Sunday.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got all excited over a Facebook ad that had something cool for cheap before I realized it was a scam.

I didn't spend any money or anything but I was mad cause I really wanted the thing on sale.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I got all excited over a Facebook ad that had something cool for cheap before I realized it was a scam.

I didn't spend any money or anything but I was mad cause I really wanted the thing on sale.

There are a poo poo ton of ads on every bus stop saying g things like, fake ads aren’t your friends, Facebook is eliminating them immediately; Facebook is a place to talk to friends only or something along those lines. Clearly the ads are a scam as well.

Anyways I have :words: about alcoholics:

There are a LOT of alcoholics, more than people think, and it’s not just hobos or people who look disheveled. I went to [expensive grocery store that pretends it’s fancy, and has a really good salad bar] to get a salad and, at 7 am on the dot, which is the legal time stores can sell alcohol, the line was over 15 people long cause there was only one line open, so the juice bar lady came over and was like, I can ring you out if you don't have alcohol and literally me and some other lady were the only ones that could go, cause we were just getting salads. There was an old guy with a 24 case of Budweiser, another old guy with a bottle of cheap vodka and some Coca Cola, and a bunch of rich-looking ladies with wine. It was interesting. Not like [other grocery store that’s close by and cheaper, but doesn’t have a salad bar and is in a sketchier neighborhood] though where it's all hobos standing in front of the register at like 6:50 waiting for 7:00 to hit. There are more alcoholics than people think. And I KNOW they're driving too cause I can tell. They either go super super slow or are swerving everywhere but our local police are so scarce and/or don't care. And they only pull over brown people for DWBs (Driving While Black). Fun fact.

E .....Honestly I’m kind of an rear end in a top hat cause I sometimes go at 7 just to see if my observation is true and it always is. It’s very sad :(

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jul 3, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Suicide rates are up as well. I think our country is going through tough times.

Also there are more efficient ways to get drunk than loving budweiser.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mu Zeta posted:

Such as drinking it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nordick posted:

Such as drinking it.

Ironically this is actually the less preferable way.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

Suicide rates are up as well. I think our country is going through tough times.

Nordick posted:

Such as drinking it.

Isn’t it like 4% ABV? You’re better off getting one of those $8 gallons of wine like we used to back in the day. It at least tastes tolerable. Budweiser tastes like metal. Or those bottom shelf vodkas mixed with soda like the one dude was getting.

Yeesh it’s sad thinking that’s how they spent their day. And I didn’t know suicide rates were up. gently caress this country :911: the eagle is crying if you can’t see it cause you’re on your phone or similar

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

Isn’t it like 4% ABV? You’re better off getting one of those $8 gallons of wine like we used to back in the day. It at least tastes tolerable. Budweiser tastes like metal. Or those bottom shelf vodkas mixed with soda like the one dude was getting.

Yeesh it’s sad thinking that’s how they spent their day. And I didn’t know suicide rates were up. gently caress this country :911: the eagle is crying if you can’t see it cause you’re on your phone or similar

Addiction is up, overdose deaths are up, and suicide is up. poo poo is hosed.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Addiction is up, overdose deaths are up, and suicide is up. poo poo is hosed.

TRUMP 2020!!!

E: the captions to the Simpsons says S-M-R-R-T instead of S-M-R-T. This is a bad oversight and not very smrt.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 4, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Look man I have never even touched Budweiser, I was just making a silly joke okay

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Alcoholics don't drink Budweiser to get drunk, they drink it to stave off withdrawal symptoms and get back to what you or I would consider "baseline".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Things like bud light, coors light, or natty light are what are called "volume beers." Those are things drank by people who want to go "heeeey maaaaan, I drank like 50 beers last weekend, it was greeeeaaaaaaaaaat."

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Things like bud light, coors light, or natty light are what are called "volume beers." Those are things drank by people who want to go "heeeey maaaaan, I drank like 50 beers last weekend, it was greeeeaaaaaaaaaat."

The one time I drank Natty Ice I was 18 and it had been in a fridge that I guess was too cold so it froze up and when I drank it I got a bunch of ice crystals in my mouth. I don’t know if that’s the point or what but I thought alcohol wasn’t supposed to freeze.

Speaking of alcohol, gently caress “lets get wasted” holidays like today. Nah I dunno what this day is about but WOOOOO BEEEERRRRR it’s ok if I hurt a bunch of people or animals in the process (already read a bunch of bad stories yay)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have a bugbite/scratch from work on my arm that I scratched, and it's half under my work badge, and band-aides get sweated off. But I finally got it to scab over...and woke up with my arm under me so the scab was all mush from sweat and GAH it won't loving heal before the band-aid falls off again.

The rear end in a top hat coworker who trashed my work van and stole/lost my phone charger needs a ride tomorrow and I am already working a 10 hour shift and the ride to get her to where she needs to be is about an hour or so, so I already told her I am leaving by 5pm sharp and if she is ready for this pickup anytime after 4, it is not getting done. or, you know, SHE COULD loving ASK THE DUDE WHO WORKS TILL 6.

The friend who I barely speak to anymore seems happy if I msg or text her once a week. I seriously don't understand the point of it because I told her so many ways we could have kept in contact over the past year, but she brushed it all off until a few weeks ago when she had a meltdown.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

The one time I drank Natty Ice I was 18 and it had been in a fridge that I guess was too cold so it froze up and when I drank it I got a bunch of ice crystals in my mouth. I don’t know if that’s the point or what but I thought alcohol wasn’t supposed to freeze.

Speaking of alcohol, gently caress “lets get wasted” holidays like today. Nah I dunno what this day is about but WOOOOO BEEEERRRRR it’s ok if I hurt a bunch of people or animals in the process (already read a bunch of bad stories yay)

Water freezes before alcohol so that was just water ice in the drink. In the case of beer, especially beers like that with a low alcohol content, ice formation is pretty normal.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Water freezes before alcohol so that was just water ice in the drink. In the case of beer, especially beers like that with a low alcohol content, ice formation is pretty normal.

I was figuring they just water it down as course of process and then add in some chemical to keep them constituted cause alcohol and water don’t mix nicely; the cheapo companies probably all do that though. Years later I used to keep a bottle of top-notch gin in my freezer and every so often, pulling it out of the fridge, I would remember crunching on some natty ice. *shudder*

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've been keeping my Extremely Online time to a relative minimum lately, which definitely has its advantages, but I miss keeping up with y'all.

That's my FWP : coming back to, like, literally thousands of unread posts.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've been keeping my Extremely Online time to a relative minimum lately, which definitely has its advantages, but I miss keeping up with y'all.

That's my FWP : coming back to, like, literally thousands of unread posts.

There’s so many threads I want to read but I don’t have enough time for them all so some are sitting at like, 20,000 posts. I think the idiots on social media is stuck at pre-primaries.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

I was figuring they just water it down as course of process and then add in some chemical to keep them constituted cause alcohol and water don’t mix nicely;

Alcohol and water mix extremely nicely up to a certain concentration on both ends of the scale. They're miscible. You can take 100ml of water, add 5ml of alcohol, and end up with 104.5ml of total volume because the molecules lock together so tightly like puzzle pieces through hydrogen bonds with the OH groups on the first 3 major alcohols, including ethanol.

Natty ice is just that lovely.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jul 5, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Alcohol and water mix extremely nicely up to a certain concentration on both ends of the scale. They're miscible. You can take 100ml of water, add 5ml of alcohol, and end up with 104.5ml of total volume because the molecules lock together so tightly like puzzle pieces through hydrogen bonds with the OH groups on the first 3 major alcohols, including ethanol.

Natty ice is just that lovely.

Thanks for the super chemistry post. I didn’t pay attention in high school and greatly regret it. This is cool to know.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored.

Bored bored bored booooored boooooooooooooooored.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's so insanely busy at work (a zoo). We have a bunch of wheelchairs to rent to people but not enough for everyone who needs one, to the point people are stealing them from each other if they're left unattended for even a second. We now have our biggest tourist attraction about to happen and we just opened a new exhibit and we had over 15,000 people here today and it's just going to get worse! Save me oh god

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I quoted myself ahhhhh

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored.

Bored bored bored booooored boooooooooooooooored.

I just watched the first season of Sealab 2021 again and so this is a timely Captain Murphy quote.

My fwb is that no matter how much I sleep, I always want to sleep MORE.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Made egg fried rice Tuesday and hosed up by adding way too much soy sauce.

Made it again today because eggs are on sale and not ENOUGH soy sauce and didn't cook it long enough for the rice to get the egg taste.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was all hyped up for a spooky movie that had a good premise and it turned out to be a piece of poop.

Also, I'm getting in all the extensions for my pressure washer in before I'm getting in the actual pressure washer by a few days. That's just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Apparently getting an erroneous transaction fixed takes talking to every person that is currently alive and getting bitchy about it.

No you fuckers I won't just sit back and eat a mistaken double charge on something that was overpriced in the first place.