Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That was pretty cool. Lol at me for yelling die tilted die as the laser rocket fell to earth.

Edit: i was hoping it would cause immediate death to all players, kick everyone from the game and cause an patch and change the map.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did the piece of rocket that landed spawn anything in that match? I saw it land physically in the world but I was too distracted by everything else to find it.

I'm guessing it just acted like the mini meteors from the end of last season though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not sure, but people all went it in the next match and it was just a rocket rear end sitting in the ground. People broke it with nothing in it.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

People who streamed the rocket launch in 50v50 forgot that replays aren't saved in that mode. :laffo:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did the piece of rocket that landed spawn anything in that match? I saw it land physically in the world but I was too distracted by everything else to find it.

I'm guessing it just acted like the mini meteors from the end of last season though.

It landed in anarchy if you want to see it.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

here's a buck wild view of "the event"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjj1J6hwQ1E

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

AAB posted:

Wow, yeah, that's about as perfect of a video of the event as you can get. Awesome.

Wonder what that voice says around 1m30s in.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 30, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

People who streamed the rocket launch in 50v50 forgot that replays aren't saved in that mode. :laffo:

They are saved, you just need to enable replays for large modes explicitly in settings.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Fortnite takes place on flat earth

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
It's the Truman Show!

But seriously, that was amazing to watch live in game. I have no idea how Epic pulled off a stunt like that in a multiplayer game this big, but kudos! Talk about a way to show off the end of the season ( well close to the end ).

I wonder if they'll eventually alter Tilted again or if the threat of taking out Tilted was just a fake out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is a leak/rumor running around that something called "Leviathan" is coming and it has a ltm attached to it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a leak/rumor running around that something called "Leviathan" is coming and it has a ltm attached to it.

It would be pretty cool if elements of PvE got added to PvP. Or maybe a 20-50 PvE where some big stationary sky beast is raining meteors while the storm slowly closes in, and players have to find and fire off surface to air missiles to kill it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I watched from a mountain next to the launch base. With other 20 people or so. Has ben loving amazing. Probably the best mini event I have seen in a game in my life.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

el B posted:

I only just reached 65. I seriously doubt I'll hit 80 this weekend. Cest la vie

:(

Level 65 is something like 56% of the total XP needed to get to 80. It's dumb.

I realized I'm never going to wear the Omega skin anyway, so I'm done pointlessly stressing out over it. Just gonna chill with Carbide.

Philthy posted:

Wonder what that voice says around 1m30s in.

Here's the clearest recording of the audio and the translation. The noise burst spectragraphs out into binary that translates to coordinates pointing at a hill in Moisty, which I guess people are connecting to the Leviathan thing.

On top of the booster crashing at Anarchy, there's also a bit of residual energy in front of the lodge in Lonely Lodge.

The current pet theory is that season 5 is history/time travel oriented.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This video of the event is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MMXPZE3HE

This is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zAVjmi0Gc

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2018

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well that looks neat.

Also, we've been in a dome world this entire time?!

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

No we've been in a paulstretched music video of Coming Undone by KoRn this whole time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That event was pretty impressive. All the in-game background storytelling they've done the past two seasons has been great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its come to my attention that crossplay is now a thing. I dont really like the game, partly cause I dont understand it, but if it means I get to play with my gf on xbox and for once some IRL friends then I'm willing to learn.

Do I need to build? I mainly want to shoot people. Why does everyone build that same box with the ramp in the middle all the time? I also haven't made a lot of sense of the weapons and how to tell whats what. Just reading the tips in the OP here and yeah I guess I need to choose flight instead of fight more often, which will be most difficult for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

codo27 posted:

Its come to my attention that crossplay is now a thing. I dont really like the game, partly cause I dont understand it, but if it means I get to play with my gf on xbox and for once some IRL friends then I'm willing to learn.

Do I need to build? I mainly want to shoot people. Why does everyone build that same box with the ramp in the middle all the time? I also haven't made a lot of sense of the weapons and how to tell whats what. Just reading the tips in the OP here and yeah I guess I need to choose flight instead of fight more often, which will be most difficult for me.

You can get pretty far just being good at shooting but eventually you will be in the circle with players who are good at shooting AND good at building and most of the time they will win

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

codo27 posted:

Yes you need to build and the simple box with ramp is to protect yourself doing gunfights.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can get by without building to an extent. Stealth, using natural cover, and avoiding putting a big target on your head by standing at the top of a tall 1x1 are all sensible strategies that can get you places. As is refusing to play the builder game and either blowing poo poo up with C4 or just using obsessive builders' own structures against them.

But you're gonna need to wrap your head around at least the basics of building at some point. You can start pretty slow and immediately get results - slapping down not even a full 1x1 but just throwing down walls to give your team a breather, for instance. Or going with the absolute most basic battle structure: 1 wall, add 1 ramp, done. Alternately you can get creative and just spam random poo poo in the middle of a fight to confuse your enemy, block their shots, or otherwise frustrate them. You don't have to be a super twitchy muscle memory god building perfect 1x1s the second you hear a single bullet fired within a mile to get poo poo done.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

goferchan posted:

You can get pretty far just being good at shooting but eventually you will be in the circle with players who are good at shooting AND good at building and most of the time they will win

If you're on console I'd suggest switching to builder pro ASAP, I kept delaying it since I wanted to mostly play shootmans, with a side of building, but it really doesn't change the main controls during combat, just building. It's what lets people build those quick forts that shield them and allow for healing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think that's why the devs want to push other methods of gameplay outside of building. People are just macroing their way around it all and it has the potential to push people out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Building is fun, just embrace it

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Learning to build taught me a lot about shootmans, too. Turns out people feel really confident in their own buildings, you can take advantage of that.

When is Playground coming?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Not by default, but you can turn on the Large Matches replay option and save 50v50 match replays. :eng101:

...I learned this in an earlier 50v50 (v1 I think) where I managed to hit a ~240m headshot and then a 219m headshot seconds later, both with the hunting rifle, and wanted to rewatch only to see the replay didn't exist. :eng99:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I played a 50v50 match the other night where I met up with my team in the middle of the circle, we built a bunch of stuff, but the other team blew it all up and we were overrun pretty much instantly after that.

I and one other person got knocked into a 1x1 at the bottom of the fort. They built a ramp over us, and we got to just sit there, the final two, looking through damage gaps and watching the other team just run past us for way too long. Unfortunately, we were just barely on the wrong side of the final storm circle, so it didn't last as long as it could have.

In short, building is good and hiding in forts is fun.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

leviathan? I hardly know him!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best way to git gud at building is to switch to the builder pro control scheme and randomly build structures to get yourself places as you head to the center. See something high up? Build a thing to get there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I dont really play, can someone explain how he busted the ramp?

https://www.polygon.com/fortnite/2018/6/30/17521556/fortnite-new-solo-kills-record-missile-launch

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You don't see Elemental_Ray's breaking of the first ramp but he's running around with his pickaxe out after all those kills so he probably just hit them. The pickaxe lets you harvest resources and break stuff. You can also shoot things to damage them but that probably would've gotten more attention.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AAB posted:

I just watched this and holy cow!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If anybody wants to ball on PS4 I'll be on for the next few hours, on/off while I'm cleaning. Wangzilla27 add meeeee

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

If anybody wants to ball on PS4 I'll be on for the next few hours, on/off while I'm cleaning. Wangzilla27 add meeeee

Lmao

Edit: learn where friend requests are if you are looking to play with people.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 1, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao

Edit: learn where friend requests are if you are looking to play with people.

Haha, not sure why they didn't pop up in the first place :doh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha, not sure why they didn't pop up in the first place :doh:

I sent you another request so we will se what happens this time. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I sent you another request so we will se what happens this time. :shrug:

Gotcha this time :bubblewoop:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

How is there a dome over Fortnite just a couple months after it was struck by meteors? These are some questions that need asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How is there a dome over Fortnite just a couple months after it was struck by meteors? These are some questions that need asking.

Perhaps the dome was installed to prevent further meteors