Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
so after getting my BV herald witch to t15s, I decided I wanted to make a snowflake build; specifically, my plan was to be an attack assassin that stacked bleed/poison to take advantage of 20% of phys as chaos and go to town.
However, although I am crit capped in maps and have 460 crit multi with dual varunastras, I'm not sure how to improve this character. (and there is a TON of room for improvement)

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Maddot_66/characters (lacerbates is the char in question)

Any tips/suggestions/adjustments would be immensely helpful. I don't know if what attack skill I want to stick with since none of them feel right, I think I want to use temp chains, but am not sure and have no idea if casting as an aura is worth it. No idea how I'm going to buff up defense since I'm not sure what kind of defense I want to use. Hell, I haven't even figured out what supports my main skill will use outside of crit and melee phys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/beach_bum/characters
Looking for a hot tip on my next cheapest upgrade on PentaSeal. One thing to keep in mind is ToH/WiseOak interaction (need +50FireRes% over ColdRes%). Mainly looking for survivability. I could spend an ex or so on a couple more %life/x2aspd jewels straight off, of course. I think I've already hit all my implicit gear with Blessed.

Is there something I'm missing for PoB to make it show me combined Cyclone and Molten Burst DPS when experimenting with optimal damage mods? Aspd seems to be king poo poo for Cyclone, but I wonder if %firedmg over 3-5 aspd would give me overall better DPS.

This dude already beats the poo poo out of t16 maps and Elder, so there's nothing critical. I think I'm right up against the wall of diminishing returns for spending, but I haven't played in forever and I might be missing something.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 1, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I can't tell how many of those posts are being extremely sarcastic and how many are just clueless

I guess everyone found out from that post how good Ele Hit + AoF is.

or poe.ninja finally disaggregated the three different jewels with the same name

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Beach Bum posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/beach_bum/characters
Looking for a hot tip on my next cheapest upgrade on PentaSeal. One thing to keep in mind is ToH/WiseOak interaction (need +50FireRes% over ColdRes%). Mainly looking for survivability. I could spend an ex or so on a couple more %life/x2aspd jewels straight off, of course. I think I've already hit all my implicit gear with Blessed.

Is there something I'm missing for PoB to make it show me combined Cyclone and Molten Burst DPS when experimenting with optimal damage mods? Aspd seems to be king poo poo for Cyclone, but I wonder if %firedmg over 3-5 aspd would give me overall better DPS.

This dude already beats the poo poo out of t16 maps and Elder, so there's nothing critical. I think I'm right up against the wall of diminishing returns for spending, but I haven't played in forever and I might be missing something.

I'm bad at this, but maybe grab an Impresence of the fire variety? (They're about 100c) The damage will probably be a bit down from your current amulet, but it'll make Flammability reserve no mana so you can slap on some other aura like Anger or whatever you prefer.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

When someone asks if Ele Hit traps is good:

https://gfycat.com/JubilantConventionalAsp

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ughh. I already thought Death and Taxes was terrible. Now I've experienced Death and Taxes with a Morbid Tempest. The invulnerable guy kept stopping and backtracking to kill skeletons that got summoned.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay I'm looking into blade vortex to replace cold snap and...what the gently caress is this skill? I'm bad, can you explain how it works to a toddler because all I can see is: hit blade vortex a bunch, then start moving into enemies, and then you have to recast blade vortex to keep the number of blades up? Repeatedly? And where does the damage even come from, BV seems pretty low damage overall.

Maybe I'll just start an ele hit trapper or something. Ugh. Anyone have any sort of guide they might trust for that?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 1, 2018

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Ultima66 posted:

And thats with double increased life roll on the map. Not bad.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm looking into blade vortex to replace cold snap and...what the gently caress is this skill? I'm bad, can you explain how it works to a toddler because all I can see is: hit blade vortex a bunch, then start moving into enemies, and then you have to recast blade vortex to keep the number of blades up? Repeatedly? And where does the damage even come from, BV seems pretty low damage overall.

dont poo poo on a proven good skill without posting your character

10 bux says your character is poo poo instead

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

dont poo poo on a proven good skill without posting your character

10 bux says your character is poo poo instead

What? Obviously that's true. Did you not see my "I'm bad, please explain this skill to me like I'm 3"? I'm asking because I can't find a build that explains how to goddamn use the skill, they all assume you know already.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

What? Obviously that's true. Did you not see my "I'm bad, please explain this skill to me like I'm 3"? I'm asking because I can't find a build that explains how to goddamn use the skill, they all assume you know already.

Then you posted the gist of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lemme give you an example. Arc totems: "you link arc with spell totem, get four totems through hiero and ancestral bond, and then you place down totems ahead of you and just keep running, totem placement gets pretty fast with ascendancy"

I want one of those, but for blade vortex, because I'm dumb and bad.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Don't worry, I play arc traps and I see people dropping guardians in 5 seconds and I have no idea how/why.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Lemme give you an example. Arc totems: "you link arc with spell totem, get four totems through hiero and ancestral bond, and then you place down totems ahead of you and just keep running, totem placement gets pretty fast with ascendancy"

I want one of those, but for blade vortex, because I'm dumb and bad.

silvergoose posted:

hit blade vortex a bunch, then start moving into enemies, and then you have to recast blade vortex to keep the number of blades up? Repeatedly?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Do you stand in enemies? Run past them? Do you charge, bv a few times, repeat? Do the stacks stay up a while or do you have to refresh them every pack?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You have to constantly refresh them. For regular mobs having like 3 stacks is completely enough though, you only need to go to the full 10 for map bosses. So you need to cast like 3 times every 8 seconds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Blade Vortex is basically a damage aura that stacks. The damage looks low because of the stacking. If you have enough stacks you can just run through mobs, if you don't you might have to stand in them. The stacks stay up for 5 seconds each so you will have to periodically refresh them depending on how quickly you're moving.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thank you two, that explains the concept of the skill very nicely.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Things I like about Blade Vortex: The absolutely batshit insane crazy hardcore damage

Things I hate about Blade Vortex: Everything else

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Ultima66 posted:

I seriously have no idea why reddit hasn't cottoned on to CI trapper builds

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm tempted to gear up an alt even though I'm not done with my main yet.

I was thinking of trying BV but this previous discussion seems kinda 50/50 on it. Also I'm lazy as balls so I'll be using the witch that's leveled past act 10 and just orb of regret her into a new build. Not sure what to do with her. She's bog standard arc (the spell) so maybe I should stop being lazy and actually gear her up, she just felt so squishy and enemies have so much random ele resist that it's not like my scion which just shits on everything with physical damage. On the flip side I kind of want something that can clear entire rooms from range. BV sounded fun because I liked the idea of running around with a bunch of herald auras but it's melee so it wouldn't be a departure from what I'm doing now.

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013
Does anyone use the discord channel linked in the op? I'm looking for people to play with.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

silvergoose posted:

Do you stand in enemies? Run past them? Do you charge, bv a few times, repeat? Do the stacks stay up a while or do you have to refresh them every pack?

One thing that I think is getting lost in this conversation is the current meta of elementalist bv. With elementalist proliferation, herald of ice with a few damage links and inpulsa's explosions the skill functions quite a bit differently. You basically run into a pack with one bv stack and the whole screen explodes. With an inc duration gem and duration cluster on the tree you don't even have to push the button that often. The difference in play style between that and normal bv is night and day.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Jinnigan posted:

I seriously have no idea why reddit hasn't cottoned on to CI trapper builds

It's probably hard to make a dent in the years of 'trappers are trash builds don't do them' that's built up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nah traps are popular now its just most people do life+mom instead of ci

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

One thing that I think is getting lost in this conversation is the current meta of elementalist bv. With elementalist proliferation, herald of ice with a few damage links and inpulsa's explosions the skill functions quite a bit differently. You basically run into a pack with one bv stack and the whole screen explodes. With an inc duration gem and duration cluster on the tree you don't even have to push the button that often. The difference in play style between that and normal bv is night and day.

This is another good post that helps me understand!

Wonder if I should respec my occultist over to elementalist, then...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

As someone who's done occulist and elementalist bv this league, yes you should

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

occultist seems more like a hc survivability choice. if you are sc elementalist will probably be more fun

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i've got like 9ex or so to spend on a deadeye build. i'm thinking... tornado shot. i already have the ruby flask (my 1st ever shaper kill!). what else do i need to know. death's opus? there's a lot of windripper builds on poeninja but i think those are all bots. ventors, sadima, etc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a lot of builds you can run if you just want to do Tornado Shot. You could do Windripper, you could do Chin Sol / Opus, you could do a dex stacker build.

edit: a tshot enchant is probably expensive as gently caress still

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
How do ranged attack totems fare these days? I can't imagine they're great unless you're a Hierophant/Chieftain that can easily fit a lot of totem nodes into their tree anyway, but also with Mirage Archer around it kinda feels like that's a more useful way to go as a dex-side of the tree build.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Please list how much your gear costs or I could do the same with a good amount of skills with unlimited money.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2178742

7 ghosts :eyepop:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Can't wait to open some fuckin boxes!!!

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I'm still fairly new to this game, and was playing with a friend on an alt character and had a Poet's pen drop (and it's already fully linked; blue blue green). From what I can tell it is by far the most valuable single item I've found.

How exactly does it work and why is it so good? What kind of builds benefit from it? Is it just used for leveling?

I'm wondering if I should keep or sell it, but it sounds cool enough that I might want to try it out. My main (lvl73) is a ST Slayer and my alt is an arc trapper, I'm guessing the pen doesn't really help either of those?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It lets you poo poo out spells like no one's business and ignore things like cast speed or mana costs. Very much an item you build around.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You really want two Pens, since both will activate every time you attack, so it's doubling your (already absurd) cast rate. Just about any spell works with Pens, and it's one of the best leveling experiences.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Keru posted:

How do ranged attack totems fare these days? I can't imagine they're great unless you're a Hierophant/Chieftain that can easily fit a lot of totem nodes into their tree anyway, but also with Mirage Archer around it kinda feels like that's a more useful way to go as a dex-side of the tree build.

Well, EE just posted a RAT ehit build lol.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThePineapple posted:

I'm wondering if I should keep or sell it, but it sounds cool enough that I might want to try it out. My main (lvl73) is a ST Slayer and my alt is an arc trapper, I'm guessing the pen doesn't really help either of those?
correct.

its a fun item but you usually want 2. its not a terribly uncommon drop though so you could keep it and hope for a 2nd. ive found 3 so far in incursion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Tormented spirits never drop anything so why even bother making a room with them. Boxes are cool though.