Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Pick posted:

every time someone says "the sisko" i want to stab myself in the flaps

The Pick is not of Bajor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pick posted:

every time someone says "the sisko" i want to stab myself in the flaps

Looks like UKMT has a new shitposter, Stabflaps!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
You guys ever think the guy from star trek 3 ever told anyone that uhura locked him in the closet

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
He probably told his friends he was locked in the closet with her.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I guarantee you there is a full report on it.

naem
May 29, 2011

*heavy breathing* "S-star date 201-sev-seven thre-three oh two. I w-was l-l-locked in a" *gasping, shuddered breaths, lip smacking sounds* "in a cl-cl-closet b-by Uhuuruuuuuuuaaahah" **inarticulate moaning noises**

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
What's the story on this now? I've never heard it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mycomancy posted:

What's the story on this now? I've never heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPQvVBaOx2E

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oh hey Odo is in ENT. Same voice, unmistakable face, but with a beard. And some alien foreheadding too I suppose.

It's a really strange casting decision.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

james cromwell is in star trek

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sure we all know him from that episode where he wears pajama and can't control his super soldier and gets left in the cold to be slaughtered by him thanks to picard, but he also tells whorf his father is a bitch and to look out for tree snakes, he tries to get out of first contact by pissing on a tree, he gets taught how to gamble by quirk, and i think he even plays a borg at one point.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

simplefish posted:

Oh hey Odo is in ENT. Same voice, unmistakable face, but with a beard. And some alien foreheadding too I suppose.

It's a really strange casting decision.

He was also a Starfleet colonel in The Undiscovered Country. To be fair, that was before DS9

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

In hindsight, The Search for Spock stands up very well today as a well-produced and good movie. As compared to The Voyage Home, which is incredibly dated.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I can't believe that old man Sisko has the audacity to tell Ben to his face that he'd never join an organization like Star Fleet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

I can't believe that old man Sisko has the audacity to tell Ben to his face that he'd never join an organization like Star Fleet.

Ben Sisko heavily infers his father is dead for the first two seasons, so I think it all balances out.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

he was dead, the emissary gives no fucks about linear time and its bullshit rules.

been the same pot of jambalaya for like a decade by season two.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Facebook Aunt posted:

Make peace, of course. Take away involuntary assimilation and the federation has no reason to interfere in the borg's internal affairs.

For a few hundred years involuntary assimilation was the most efficient way of pursuing their goals, but it isn't the only way to pursue knowledge and perfection. The borg are perfectly capable of producing their own infants, they just don't bother because they assimilate more drones than they need. Technology can be acquired through trade. Even biological samples can be acquired through trade -- those species that object to allowing individuals be assimilated would mostly be fine with trading away blood samples or whatever, and the borg can clone from there. And for those species that won't trade, well, there will surely be criminals willing to steal a few hairs and trade them. Even if delta species were all dumb dumbs with no imagination, the borg have now assimilated enough humans, ferengi and orions to figure this out.

The borg have a lot of cultural inertia, but they can adapt. When brute force stops working they will try something else.
See also: The Borg from the 27th Century

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Probably the one where Lister meets his female version from a mirror universe and fucks her, resulting in him becoming impregnated with himself, whom he leaves at a bar in the past.

:perfect:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

rndmnmbr posted:

In hindsight, The Search for Spock stands up very well today as a well-produced and good movie. As compared to The Voyage Home, which is incredibly dated.

Having just watched this a few days ago, I totally concur. Granted I didn't also just watch III, but yeah I don't think it'd feel like that. Although the soundtrack might feel dated, from what I remember of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Star Trek reuses it's actors constantly. Remember when the ancestor of Worf (named Worf) was a lawyer who defended Kirk, and then before that Martok (not named Martok) was also a lawyer who defended the Quantum Leap guy?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Mark Leonard was a Romulan captain, Spocks dad and was the Klingon captain at the start of the motion picture

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jeffrey Combs has played 7 different characters. More if you count they various Weyouns as different characters.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jeffrey_Combs

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 1, 2018

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i always liked how daxs klingon friends were the same characters and actors that fought kirk in tos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i always liked how daxs klingon friends were the same characters and actors that fought kirk in tos.

Wait, really? I never knew that :magical:.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never realized Combs was on Enterprise too.

Also, the fact that Brunt's entry on Memory Alpha is not

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Brunt_(FCA)

is profoundly disappointing to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

I never realized Combs was on Enterprise too.

Also, the fact that Brunt's entry on Memory Alpha is not

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Brunt_(FCA)

is profoundly disappointing to me.

Combs is by far the best actor on Enterprise, and he makes Andorian episodes fun to watch. Most of the rest of Enterprise is boring.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The pink skins on that show were the worst

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The pink skins on that show were the worst

Shran 2020

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Peachfart posted:

Combs is by far the best actor on Enterprise, and he makes Andorian episodes fun to watch. Most of the rest of Enterprise is boring.

Er, right. I knew about Shran the best character on Enterprise, I mean I never realized he was a ferengi on that bad ferengi episode as well.

mycomancy posted:

Shran 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Apparently they were pretty surprised when they were expected to get done up in the new Klingon costumes and prosthetics.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

As a linguist I wish Ho Shi got more screen time and the translator didn't just kick in after 2 sentences all the time in ENT. But from a "what's interesting to people not like me" sure, it's a nice nod that not everything works straight away even if very condensed, which it has to be for lmited-time episodes about more than linguistics.

I suppose I'll have to live with Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

As a linguist I wish Ho Shi got more screen time and the translator didn't just kick in after 2 sentences all the time in ENT. But from a "what's interesting to people not like me" sure, it's a nice nod that not everything works straight away even if very condensed, which it has to be for lmited-time episodes about more than linguistics.

I suppose I'll have to live with Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel

I suppose the problem is that "Captain the translator doesn't work with these dudes" is a pretty lame crutch. It's used quite a few times in ENT and while I get that it makes sense logically if you're meeting someone for the first time the translator may not work when it's only got data for like 10 species (whereas in TNG and TOS it's got data for thousands) it means you can't get the classic "Sir they are hailing us!" "On screen" "Listen to me Federation cowards, retreat now or I'll blow you up" that let's you see the bad guys and understand what they are doing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Ok so with the universal translator you can just talk whatever your language is and everyone else just hears the language they need to hear because it's tv sci fi magic. So why does it let Worf say "Qapla" instead of them all just yelling "success"??

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

mods change my name posted:

Ok so with the universal translator you can just talk whatever your language is and everyone else just hears the language they need to hear because it's tv sci fi magic. So why does it let Worf say "Qapla" instead of them all just yelling "success"??

Because it's TV sci fi magic, duh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mods change my name posted:

So why does it let Worf say "Qapla" instead of them all just yelling "success"??
Foreign Loan words are a thing, capische

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Well it's a BUNCH OF BULLSHIT

Edit: oh yeah, it looks like Babylon 5 is a available to view on Amazon Prime now.

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 2, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Qapla is "SUCCESS" but also kind of a swear word and the computer won't translate swears you P'tak

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Qapla is "SUCCESS" but also kind of a swear word and the computer won't translate swears you P'tak

'gently caress yeah'?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll have a "loving coffee" old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Sitting here thinking about the time Data was in the design stage of Lal and he briefly considered making her an Andorian mummer