Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Apparently I just hadn't found my character. Tried Rosalina and my win percentage is at 50% in standard now and I just made it to the finals. I lost but now I'm having exciting rallies, using charge better, and not always being on my back foot.

It gets better goons! :unsmith:

Finally clicking with a character is a great feeling eh? I'm still flying high with Luigi. As long as I pass v defensive characters most of my matches are fun.

I also changed my mindset when playing against people who clearly out class me. Instead of getting hung up on losing I focus on what they're doing to me so I can try it out myself in the next match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for the recommendations!

I am really enjoying the mindgames that racket damage can create. Just played a Chain Chomp who was thousands of points higher than me, and I don't know if it was arrogance or what, but in game 1, my serve, I was already down 0-30 but had full energy so I special shotted them and broke their racket. I thought, OK at least I might be able to get a few free points off this or at least make them burn more energy.

Then I was down 15-40 and had full energy again, so I special shotted again... and the Chomp broke their racket and KO'ed. In a game one that they were ahead :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love how shocked the crowd gets when you break a racket.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I love KO'ing the other player. It's such an awesome feeling. Especially when they risked their last health bar on the racket unnecessarily and broke.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I managed to use a trick shot to block a special shot without the racket breaking. Granted I still lost the match, but I felt pretty awsome doing that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just won my first tournament and it was a perfect experience. Good goddamn that was a rush.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Is there certain players who’s full meter special shot pushes you back more than others? I was playing a Luigi and even when I blocked it it sent me back super far but some other peoples didn’t.

Also I played a toadette with like 20k points and they drop shotted me every time and it was infuriating.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
btw if you have time to charge up against a drop shot, I believe top spin is the best shot to use as far as like what returns the best shot

(I mean don't do anything 100% of the time but you know what I'm saying)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I still the only one that constantly runs into people blatantly cheating? 50% of the time I end up matched up against someone that's doing poo poo like returning every single shot with a special.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I still the only one that constantly runs into people blatantly cheating? 50% of the time I end up matched up against someone that's doing poo poo like returning every single shot with a special.

I have not run into any cheaters :shrug:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

you mean an actual special or a trick shot?

i'm going to reserve judgment but I haven't seen anyone that looks like they're cheating and suspect you may need to git gud

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The actual specials that require 100% meter and play a long animation.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've only played like 30 matches but I've never run into any cheating.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The actual specials that require 100% meter and play a long animation.

then yeah I guess those people are cheating but I dunno how, I don't do any piracy but I've read the thread about it and it sounds like people get banned pretty quickly for running hax

I guess if you see someone do specials without meter again hold down your screenshot button to take a clip and upload it because i haven't heard of that yet and I've played like 280

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Koopa Troopa seems pretty good, I think his drop shot charges like twice as fast as everyone else's or something, you get the dead stop drop shots very fast

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone else feel like trick shots should literally never reward the other player with energy? Either you are way out of position, which shouldn’t be rewarded no matter how early you press to do a trick shot, or you are in position but taking advantage of the trickshot mechanic to gain energy and have a really good shot, which is just OP in combination.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I agree. I think balancing of how much charge shots and the special shot give to meter could maybe also help. I.E. lower the amount it fills the meter. Make it take a bit longer to earn a full meter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I assume the function it's supposed to fulfill is like a coinflip in fighting games. Since you can't cover the whole court at once (unless you're Bowser Jr.) the trick shot is supposed to be a hard read, that is, you're claiming that you know where your opponent will aim before they actually hit it. The energy boost is supposed to balance the fact that if you're wrong, you lose the point.

As long as the timing actually works out like that I am OK with it

Edit: Also who is the high-ranking NA player that did some streams with Peach, someone mentioned them in the Switch thread, was it one of the people posted before

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume the function it's supposed to fulfill is like a coinflip in fighting games. Since you can't cover the whole court at once (unless you're Bowser Jr.) the trick shot is supposed to be a hard read, that is, you're claiming that you know where your opponent will aim before they actually hit it. The energy boost is supposed to balance the fact that if you're wrong, you lose the point.

As long as the timing actually works out like that I am OK with it

Edit: Also who is the high-ranking NA player that did some streams with Peach, someone mentioned them in the Switch thread, was it one of the people posted before

sunseeds?

J_miller also isn't NA but mains peach and has like a 95+ winrate or something

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

JackDarko is gonna get mad I didn't text him this but I've figured out how to mostly block Zone and Power shots. If you look at the ball, it has a shadow with a glowing ring underneath it. If you wait until you are mostly in that ring to hit, you will almost always block it with no damage to your racket. I'm still missing on occasion but I'd say I probably block at least 80% of the time now.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Koopa Troopa seems pretty good, I think his drop shot charges like twice as fast as everyone else's or something, you get the dead stop drop shots very fast

I thought you couldn't get him until playing in the July tourney that starts tomorrow?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's already started

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I thought you couldn't get him until playing in the July tourney that starts tomorrow?

It’s officially July 1 in most of the world.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I can't help but feel a little bad, but he did this to himself (I could only record the last 30 seconds of a rally that went on like this for a while while I laughed)

https://twitter.com/JadeMageSwitch/status/1013269471291588612

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I'm bad enough to be impressed that he was able to keep getting the ball back after those trick shot lobs, I usually get put away after one be ause I keep on doing that before I notice that I have zero energy and they are at max

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's the consensus on Koopa Troopa so far? Bowser isn't really doing it for me anymore so I'm trying out the rest of the roster.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I really like Koopa Troopa but he's very difficult to use.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jade Mage posted:

I can't help but feel a little bad, but he did this to himself (I could only record the last 30 seconds of a rally that went on like this for a while while I laughed)

https://twitter.com/JadeMageSwitch/status/1013269471291588612

That's just how it be sometimes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Aquasnake posted:

I dunno how this quote happened, but I guess it just did

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 1, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Almost beat a mildly incompetent Jr. That they never break form is an ace in the hole for sure. I think Daisy's my girl. A bit weaker than the Mario Bros, but I love her jaunty victory skip.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

What's the consensus on Koopa Troopa so far? Bowser isn't really doing it for me anymore so I'm trying out the rest of the roster.

His running animation is best-in-class

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

I think Koopa Troopa has the potential to be really strong in the right hands. He's probably the fastest member of the cast, feeling faster than even Yoshi and Toad. However, his speed comes at the cost of control since there is a floatiness that you probably need to get used to or you overshoot and put yourself off form. However, his insane speed is probably going to be really good at keeping yourself on form as you can easily move to star shots or where the ball is going and hit it back, especially if you decide to use drop shots. That in tandem with his really strong drop shot could lead him to playing a game where he just stays on form and smashes star shot after star shot back, eventually using a fully charged topspin or slice shot to knock the opponent back and then follow up with a quick dropshot.

He's fun, but not easy and I feel like in the right hands, he can be a little monster.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I decided to stop passing against def characters. After losing 3 of 3 games against people who were bad at this game I'm going back to passing on those match ups. Defensive characters don't have any drawbacks as far as I can tell and are not fun to play against. It turns out as long as you can return a ball from anywhere on the court the rest of your skill set barely matters.

Also, since yesterday evening my connection to the game has been bad. I have to skip several matches until I find a good connection, which usually is a Waluigi or Jr, thus my willingness to play against them again. Is anyone else having very bad connections? Three games that started as 5 bar connections turned into laggy poo poo shows as soon as the matches started.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 1, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Koopa Troopa is my new main until Paratroopa shows up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bowser Jr can eat my rear end

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Quick tip I got a lot better since I have started like automatically using zone speed if I see someone get a full charge off. Just realize that like if they are able to get a full charge, you already hosed up and to do damage control you do have to use just a little bit of zone speed. Use the least you can to determine where the ball is going and get to it and that will also make sure you do the right type of shot to return it so you don't get knocked back a huge amount, or you can do a trick shot if you want to not give them a star. By doing this you can avoid getting snowballed on where they just keep knocking you out of form over and over and building up huge meter, which is an advantage that can translate into multiple points. If you have enough meter you can also get your own max charge off, and start putting them on the back foot instead if they don't counter with their own meter (a lot of people won't)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's been one day, how are people already to 10000 points

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, I love the way Troopa moves!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

There have to be other people only just starting to play online (I was on vacation last week). I appreciate the game's faith in me but I feel like it shouldn't be matching me with people with thousands of tournament points when I have like 40 and a 20% win rate. I guess I can learn through losing a lot to start off.

Evil Eagle posted:

Koopa Troopa is my new main until Paratroopa shows up.

That's pretty much where I stand as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also how does a stadium crowd of Goombas, Spikes, Koopas, and Toads make human crowd sounds