Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Island seemed ok but the VN its based on is being translated so i'd probably just wait and read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Read the mood, coach guy!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really liked Hanebado so I made a thread for it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861935

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thread added to OP :toot:

quote:

Hanebado!
LIDENFILMS | Shinpei Ezaki | Taku Kishimoto | Drama, Sports | Manga | Jul 2, 2018
Ayano Hanesaki, a first-year student at Kanagawa Prefectural Kitakomachi High School, has a badminton ability able to surpass others effortlessly yet avoids playing the sport. She meets Nagisa Aragaki, a third-year student who practices day and night aiming to become the best player in Japan. Encouraged by coach Tachibana Kentarou, supported by club colleagues, and fired up by various rivals, the two engage in their youth and adored sport so thrilling like a shuttle flown at high speed!
PV
Thread

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Hanebado is kinda dark, like it's one thing to start out with a main character losing and it's quite another to frame the entire first episode around her brooding. Just this slog of painful melodrama for characters we've barely even met yet, and even the comic relief feels cynical.

None of that is what I'm looking for in a sports show, lol. I'm gonna give it chance though, cause there's some flashes of where they're going with all this and that might end up cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldnt really call it melodrama when its fairly down to earth about it. Like its not really an exaggerated amount of streaa and frustration, and its a fairly realistic scenario.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I wouldnt really call it melodrama when its fairly down to earth about it. Like its not really an exaggerated amount of streaa and frustration, and its a fairly realistic scenario.

Yeah if anything I'm worried it will drift too far from the tone of the first episode. It would be a bit of whiplash to go from pretty high tension to happy fun times. And aren't all sports shows fundamentally supposed to be about emotions?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I liked the melodrama and Nagisa unable to stop her self destructive side but the coach pulling his poo poo turned me off like it did early in Uma Musume. Plus I was not a huge fan of Ayano being dragged and told to do Badminton by her friend when she clearly didn't want to. It's still pretty good but I'm hoping those issues get fixed quickly

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sports melodrama is good! I just think the first ep of Hanebado has so so much of it, and it's so intense, and there's so little context for anything that I don't know what purpose all that served.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hanebado production studied badminton and its players really well, can say that much from one episode. Rather had a curling/squash/fencing anime done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Sports melodrama is good! I just think the first ep of Hanebado has so so much of it, and it's so intense, and there's so little context for anything that I don't know what purpose all that served.
I mean, how much context do you need for what is a fairly basic setup? And the tone is the context, the fact that things are so heavy tells you how these characters feel.

And, well, 'intense' - the entire storys incredibly intense, the mangas matches have the girls looking like theyre about to kill each other, full black panels with the characters drawn in white. Thats the story's tone. Its very tense. Its not like its some aberration or too heavy a tone for whats ultimately a goofy sports story, its super into the raw, visceral emotion, anger, and frustration that come with sports.

I wouldnt describe it as gritty or anything, but tense? Definitely.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't mind the melodrama per se, but it falls a little flat for me in the first episode when I can barely remember anyone's name, let alone invest in their emotional goals or anything.

Still, that's something time ought to be able to fix.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Hanebado production studied badminton and its players really well, can say that much from one episode. Rather had a curling/squash/fencing anime done.

Squash is not an Olympic sport, and curling is a winter olympic sport so is not in scope of trying to hype up for Tokyo 2020, op

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Skateboarding is going to make its Olympic debut at Tokyo, so obviously we need a Skate 4 anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the insane tension present in the hanebado manga is entirely why i'm interested in watching the anime if it can match that in the later episodes

the manga is funny cause apparently it just goes through a weird evolution in style where it does start out softer, and then after briefly trying to make it a fanservice manga they take a hard left and that's when everyone is drawn as loving tall, ripped badminton gods

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 2, 2018

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if i had to pinpoint a problem with the first episode it's one of perspective: you open with a scene that's highly subjective focused on nagisa, but then it drops that and jumps around introducing characters and setting up relationships in a way that's confusing. the scene where ayano hits the errant tennis ball is a good example; there are a lot of characters and potential storylines present and it's not as skillfully executed as it could be. it's ok, it's fine, i still liked the episode, in retrospect it feels like it could've been better

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah it kind of jumped around in a weird way but I enjoyed it and am excited for too-intense high school badminton

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

if i had to pinpoint a problem with the first episode it's one of perspective: you open with a scene that's highly subjective focused on nagisa, but then it drops that and jumps around introducing characters and setting up relationships in a way that's confusing. the scene where ayano hits the errant tennis ball is a good example; there are a lot of characters and potential storylines present and it's not as skillfully executed as it could be. it's ok, it's fine, i still liked the episode, in retrospect it feels like it could've been better

Yeah, even aside from the tone I probably would have enjoyed the ep way more if it had brought in fewer characters. As it is aside from Nagisa and Ayano I was having a really hard time trying to remember names or suss out who I was supposed to care about and why.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They seem like the main characters, I think that's all you really need to retain from a first episode

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does Aguu have an actual PV with footage of the show? The premise makes it seem like it might be a magical girl show but the promo art doesn't look like that at all, and I couldn't find a trailer or anything showing actual animation.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Justin_Brett posted:

I have no idea what it's like but the fact an RPGmaker game can get an anime in 2018 is still amazing.
where's the LISA anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does Aguu have an actual PV with footage of the show? The premise makes it seem like it might be a magical girl show but the promo art doesn't look like that at all, and I couldn't find a trailer or anything showing actual animation.

the second pv came out like a week ago

https://youtu.be/h0eNlKZt8N0

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I did like that pretty much everybody playing Badminton in the first episode of Hanebado either seemed to hate it or was super unhappy with it. Like nobody was out going 'Yay Badminton'

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I just hope thirsty glasses girl sticks around

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tbh the insane tension present in the hanebado manga is entirely why i'm interested in watching the anime if it can match that in the later episodes

the manga is funny cause apparently it just goes through a weird evolution in style where it does start out softer, and then after briefly trying to make it a fanservice manga they take a hard left and that's when everyone is drawn as loving tall, ripped badminton gods

i had to see these badminton gods so i checked the last translated chapter of the manga. lol badminton killed my mother!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

GodFish posted:

thirsty glasses girl

alright... you're starting to sell meo n this

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

badminton killed my mother!

:same:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i had to see these badminton gods so i checked the last translated chapter of the manga. lol badminton killed my mother!

hell yea that's the good poo poo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know a lot about Baki but the first episode was pretty good. Did a great job of selling these crazy deathrow fightmans.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the second pv came out like a week ago

https://youtu.be/h0eNlKZt8N0

Thanks! It looks like more of a straight action/horror show so probably not my jam, but the character designs are interesting.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

AnacondaHL posted:

Squash is not an Olympic sport, and curling is a winter olympic sport so is not in scope of trying to hype up for Tokyo 2020, op

Doh. Squash drat ought to be, that poo poo is on drugs.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So Island had enough to bring me back for episode 2, even if the art style isn’t really to my tastes. I’m intrigued enough by the concept, and I want answers. Hey, it’s Lost!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/youkiri/status/1013750935640727552

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

First episode of the new season was so good and pretty.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

2 more weeks

e: better version

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 3, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Doh. Squash drat ought to be, that poo poo is on drugs.

it's not at the olypmics cuz no one at the olympics would do A Drug

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/wwwdotyoutube/status/1011391689712394240

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Just like the movie, it works both as a parody and if you take it straight

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sick tat you got there, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

First episode of the new season was so good and pretty.

I adore the new ED. Hope the song comes out soon.

• Locked thread