Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

DreadCthulhu posted:

Got it, that helped! Just had to disable skirmish.

Ok, day 2, my strategy is to figure out what the hell the team sucks at and make up for that. I enjoy playing both healers and tanks, and usually those are the two categories lacking the most. Orisa or Reinhardt seem like pretty safe choices for most teams, and Mercy seems to get the job done most of the time. Otherwise it's situational, Winston can be super annoying for certain types of compositions, same with Symmetra and certain maps that have a lot of bigger rooms that people HAVE to get into, and Bastion can be super annoying given the right spot.

What you just wrote already makes you better than the majority of OW's playerbase. Healers and tanks are always useful, just don't burn yourself out by picking them every time because you feel like you have to.

I may sound like a broken record when I say this, but be aware that you can mute individual text chat chanels by pressing P during the match and choosing which one to silence. Sometimes that's all you can do when someone is being a poo poo. I'm not saying that Overwatch's players are all toxic idiots, but since this is the internet, you will certainly meet plenty of angry dumbasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok, day 2, my strategy is to figure out what the hell the team sucks at and make up for that. I enjoy playing both healers and tanks, and usually those are the two categories lacking the most. Orisa or Reinhardt seem like pretty safe choices for most teams, and Mercy seems to get the job done most of the time. Otherwise it's situational, Winston can be super annoying for certain types of compositions, same with Symmetra and certain maps that have a lot of bigger rooms that people HAVE to get into, and Bastion can be super annoying given the right spot.

You typically want 2 tanks, a main tank and an offtank. Main tanks are the ones with the shields mitigating team damage winston, orissa, rein. If you're filing in for no tank, pick one of these. Offtanks can't provide the same amount of mitigation but usually have other advantages like damage and utility. If you have a very mobile team you may want a winston and dva. If you have a team that'll stick together you may want something like a rein and zarya instead.

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 1, 2018

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ginette Reno posted:

b) talk on the mic. His point about people never talking is bullshit. People talk all the time about who is gonna play what. Just. talk.

I'd bet hard money that there are people who would otherwise talk on mic who clam up when they hear him. Why make yourself a target when you don't have to be one?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nickhimself posted:

I remember when this game was still new and good to me

:hmmyes:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

You're not going to get the most team-focused experience in QP, so try not to get too frustrated when teammates don't communicate or cooperate. Try deathmatch when it's available, or try competitive when you reach the appropriate level.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Or to put it another way, QP is the game damned souls play while waiting for Charon to row back and get on with taking you to hell already, and you should not play it after level 25.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
So I guess I’m a Symmetra main now

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Took a while but I am now finally getting used to the new Symmetra. Am liking using her ult to splice half the area up and throwing turrets at the light wall, as people can't seem to break then and get zapped.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The most important thing about the Symm rework is that her ult callout is now incredibly badass

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Apparently all you have do to get an endorsement is have a pulse. I'm ok with it

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Field Mousepad posted:

Apparently all you have do to get an endorsement is have a pulse. I'm ok with it

That part was confusing. You get experience for endorsing people, even when they're not that great. Perverse incentive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you’re in a group for more than one round you have to give them to the enemy team or not do anything at all

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I've discussed this here at more length before the thread turned towards Hamster Chat with Hammond's reveal, but the endorsement system is cheesy as hell, easily manipulated and means nothing except how much you play because you are going to be levelling up whatever you do, unless you're permanently trolling. Plus, it also manages to punish you for sticking together with the people you've found that you've actually enjoyed playing with.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Field Mousepad posted:

There's a total 33 endorsements others can give. Unless you're really toxic, one of them is likely to land on you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

adhuin posted:

There's a total 33 endorsements others can give. Unless you're really toxic, one of them is likely to land on you.

I mean, it seems like most people are likely to give their three endorsements to the people who annoyed them least. If nothing else, the toxic person will have less than anybody else.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you aren't actively flaming your team you'll probably get a bunch.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, it seems like most people are likely to give their three endorsements to the people who annoyed them least. If nothing else, the toxic person will have less than anybody else.

Yeah. but he doesn't feel that bad, because he got one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If people endorse like they commend in FFXIV, I literally have no idea how you wouldn't get endorsements. That poo poo gets thrown around like hotcakes.

But if you wanna game it: play a healer. You will be MAINLINING that poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I was crushing it as junkrat. As usual :blastu:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm not sure if endorsements are meant to mean anything in the first place but as long as they seem like they do and people behave better because of it, the intended outcome of decreasing toxicity is pretty much the same.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Give it some time, this game will be a toxic shitheap again in some weeks

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Kanfy posted:

I'm not sure if endorsements are meant to mean anything in the first place but as long as they seem like they do and people behave better because of it, the intended outcome of decreasing toxicity is pretty much the same.
Yes, that's what I think. The system doesn't matter very much - hopefully maintaining a high endorsement level requires that you're consistently reasonably team focused and communicative and so on (since there is a bleed to endorsement level), and it seems clear that people with a lot of green and yellow are more active than people with a lot of purple, but the point is that folk are being significantly more active and positive in voice comms and I'm enjoying games more as a result. I dare say that there's a way to game the system, but it'd require a lot of effort compared to, say, just not being a dick. The only way to not get endorsements is to be so useless that people suspect you of throwing, or to be so ugly on comms that everyone just wants the game to end, so presumably people will avoid doing those things in order to play with decent players. Also, I dare say that the people who "deal with" toxic players on comms will get more of that delightful green and yellow in endorsements, so there's an incentive to call out bad behaviour rather than enduring it or having a stupid row.

If it evens out in a few weeks to "toxicity, but less of it" then I'm cool with that.

Klaaz posted:

Give it some time, this game will be a toxic shitheap again in some weeks

Then make hay while the sun shines, friend.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If it becomes a poo poo-heap again, they can almost certainly add fuel to the niceness fire by adding new skins you can only buy with commendation points.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rand Brittain posted:

If it becomes a poo poo-heap again, they can almost certainly add fuel to the niceness fire by adding new skins you can only buy with commendation points.

Add commendations as a requirement to maintain ranks above diamond

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The endorsement system + LFG go hand in hand imo, you can't talk about one without considering the other because they both feed into each other.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i am glad that the addition of the lfg and endorsement things has thus far been a completely optional component of the game and i can still just mash quickplay and ignore the systems entirely. making them mandatory in any shape or form would be a really lovely idea i m h o

edit:

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 2, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Has it been hinted what the benefits of high endorsement levels are yet?

Blizzard has said numerous times that they are not necessarily fans of rewards (i.e. Golden guns in comp), so I'm curious about the endorsement incentives.

Gold? The occasional loot box? Marginally increased chances for epic/legendary drops from boxes (corresponding with the matching colors of "good teammate" and "shotcaller" endorsements)?

Sprays. It's gonna be sprays, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think you get a loot box every time your level goes up, and then an occasional lootbox if your level stays at 5 or whatever the max is

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The endorsement system + LFG go hand in hand imo, you can't talk about one without considering the other because they both feed into each other.

i finally got to endorsement level 2, and after setting the min endorsement level to 2 on my LFG requests i've had at least two people tell me that they specifically joined because of it. it does take a little bit longer to find a group, though.

even if it doesn't reduce toxicity in the long run, i'm getting way more enjoyment out of the game right now than when the best i could do was solo queue

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Pink Reaper skin available only to players with Endorsement Level 5.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
The scenario that I can see is that you end up with the toxic and bad players sort of being ringfenced in the same groups. Give it a month and all the relatively decent players will have at least level 2-3 endorsements. If you're trollish or toxic at all then you'll probably struggle to get to level 2, and will be stuck trying to make the lives of other toxic & trollish players miserable.

One problem I have noticed is that people are now super-reticent to criticise bad play, though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

One problem I have noticed is that people are now super-reticent to criticise bad play, though.

That's good though? At my level (silver-gold) I wouldn't trust myself to give useful criticism on a VOD, let alone to a teammate during gameplay (and often in an entirely different role). And I certainly don't give any weight to anything my teammates have to say that isn't about themselves or their own play.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I don’t think it’s good that people are reluctant to criticize bad plays. I feel like if you have half a brain at any rank, you can tell that your dps can’t kill poo poo or that your Mercy rezzes at inopportune times.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you wouldn't trust an internet rando to criticize your performance then why would you trust their feedback of giving you a scratch and sniff sticker for a job well done

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

durrneez posted:

I don’t think it’s good that people are reluctant to criticize bad plays. I feel like if you have half a brain at any rank, you can tell that your dps can’t kill poo poo or that your Mercy rezzes at inopportune times.

You can still talk about it, there's nothing stopping you from going "Hey, the enemy is watching you rez, try to do it out of sight," instead of "poo poo MERCY YOU GOT US BOTH KILLED"

Similarly, "We need shield busters" or "They're hanging pretty far back, let's get some dive heroes" goes over a lot better than "No one is doing any damage!!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

durrneez posted:

"DPS can't kill poo poo" can also be the tank's fault for not creating space/sight lines and the healers' fault for not keeping everybody alive.

You can reasonably blame everyone if you're getting rolled. (and besides if your DPS can't kill poo poo but your tanks and healers are fine thats ok, every healer and tank can deal damage!)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 2, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's asking someone politely to swap and then there's being a dick and poo poo talking someone for being bad at their role. nothing about the endorsement system discourages you from working with your team to make changes

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

durrneez posted:

Depends, you might not be able to see what is happening from their POV. Yelling that your hitscans can't kill the Pharah that keeps killing you isn't helpful if you can't see what they're dealing with instead. Maybe they've got other poo poo to deal with, like your healers getting dived on regularly. Maybe you're not doing your job and healing/tanking for your DPS enough so that they can. Or maybe your DPS can't kill poo poo because their supports keep getting out of position, dying, and leaving them out to dry, or their tanks decide that what really needs to happen is a Rein charge across the map right as a Deadeye goes down, or or or. Mercy rezzes because she thought she was in a good position/had someone with her and that someone didn't think she was going for the rez. There are a ton of reasons that someone could make a play that looks like a miscalculation on their part from your PoV, but actually wasn't from theirs, or was someone else's mistake that ended up coming up on them.

You watch sports? I know in hockey its really easy for a goalie to look awful if their defense just can't clear the puck, can't block shots, and screens the shots, and conversely a really good defense can make even a mediocre goalie look good by forcing the other team to take bad-angle shots from a distance. Yes, the goalie's skill matters too, but you can't always point to a goalie in a blowout loss and say its his fault, even if he posts a terrible save percentage.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 2, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

durrneez posted:

How can you make that useful? How do you actualize "DPS isn't killing anything/table aren't making space/healers aren't healing anything" in the span of one game (which is the average average amount of time you'll spend with another person as a teammate)?

It's much more useful to point out the enemy's deficiencies imo. The best you can do is focus people's limited attention span on what problems the other team is causing to get people thinking about how it can be addressed. It could be as simple as rephrasing "dps can't confirm kills" to "focus mercy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think people will penalize you for actual constructive advice.