Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

let's just dissolve uranium oxide with nitric acid in some buckets we found laying around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s no funnel between the bucket and flask so I can only assume they just tipped the bucket into the flask

Edit Or they dipped the flask into the bucket

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 2, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

swordfish duelist posted:

Yeah, wasnt the elephants foot in Chernobyl something ridiculous like 5 minutes of exposure would give you a dose large enough to kill you in 2 days?

I know even just one minute was a fatal dose, but it took a while. Radiation is hosed.

Something lile that, and yet there were a few operators who surveyed the foot in the years after the accident with no ill-effects. Radiation is weird like that.

The first samples of the foot were collected by shooting it with an AK and fishing out the chunks with a pole.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Foo posted:

holy wtf is that procedure

When budget cuts and lack of training get together to have a horrible radioactive baby.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Speaking of radiation deaths. I'm sure some of you know if the terrible death of Hisashi Ouichi.

:nws:
https://imgur.com/a/JH4hJ

this looks like one of the worst deaths imaginable. I mean that picture of him in the hospital bed with his limbs up. He doesn't even look human and he's still alive there :smith:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Goodyear?

https://i.imgur.com/m8Kd7Lh.mp4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

giant vat of shite piss cum and blood, gently caress having to scuba dive into that poo poo. Zero visibility.
"Could have been a lot worse"? I hate to think of what environment could possibly be a worse job for the FDNY dive team.

For the president of the United States of America, it was a Tuesday.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Speaking of radiation deaths. I'm sure some of you know if the terrible death of Hisashi Ouichi.

https://imgur.com/a/JH4hJ

gently caress every doctor that tortured this guy
what the everloving gently caress

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

DrPossum posted:

but think of the overtime pay

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

After being treated for a week, Ouchi managed to say, “I can’t take it any more… I am not a guinea pig”. However, the doctors kept treating him and taking measures to keep him alive, which only ensured a very slow and very painful death.

:stonk:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i imagine someday in the future doctors will just run over pedestrians for the extra work

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I was waiting for a third one to show up out of nowhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

A solar flare or other major stellar event.

On Earth, I think you might reach those levels of radiation by standing inside the large hadron collider.

Well Anatoli Bugorski survived - they thought he had taken enough radiation that he was definitely dead, but he lived long enough that they realised he wasn't going to succumb to it. He lost his hearing in one ear, suffered major nerve damage to his face and gets exhausted more quickly from mental activity, but has lived a long and fruitful life despite getting 76 GeV in the face.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Japanese doctor 1: "How long do you think we can keep this man with no skin or chromosomes alive?"

Japanese doctor 2: "What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Don't speculate! Measure it directly by any means possible. Baka"

edit:

Japanese doctor 1: "OK, let's take this poo poo international"

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 2, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DrPossum posted:

Japanese doctor 1: "How long do you think we can keep this man with no skin or chromosomes alive?"

Japanese doctor 2: "What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Don't speculate! Measure it directly by any means possible. Baka"

Well you know there were other countries involved in this as well, the article did mention they were using medicines that were not available in Japan. So someone was out there wanting to know if it was possible to save someone in that state.

Zil fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 2, 2018

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A large part of the entire medical field is built upon the suffering of SOMEONE.
poo poo is all theoretical until you get a chance to actually test poo poo out, and how often do you get a chance for this?

It is cruel, inhumane, and horrifying, and absolutely 100% necessary.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The poo poo people survive.

Concentrated hydrofluoric acid enema

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

holy wtf is that procedure

Looks like it was a management directed one.

E:

DrPossum posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that they kept him in a medically induced coma, so slightly better, but still monstrous.

EE:
Yeah. "Ouchi said, “I can’t take it anymore. I am not a guinea pig.” He was in extreme pain despite medication. At this time, he was put on a ventilator and kept in a medically induced coma."

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 2, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You failed to mention that he was high on cocaine.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol "Ouchi" is a pretty appropriate name

Abbott: You know they give these nuclear plant workers funny names these days.
...2min of setup...
Costello: I know he's in pain but what's the guy's name working at the ractor?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
In that case sign me the gently caress up

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BattleMaster posted:

There's no documented dose of radiation that kills you faster than several days later, so even if diving into a reactor pool was particularly dangerous you would survive just fine until your body begins to rot later
Theoretically, you can be exposed to so much high powered ionizing radiation that you are vaporized by the energy blowing apart the atoms of your body, but that's a cosmic scale type of event. You could get blasted hard enough to immediately enter shock and die I guess, but you'd probably need some favorable comorbidities to have that happen.

Initially they were hoping to see if some fancy new stuff like them stem cells would be a silver bullet for radiation exposure, but it should have been ended way before 3 months.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

A large part of the entire medical field is built upon the suffering of SOMEONE.
poo poo is all theoretical until you get a chance to actually test poo poo out, and how often do you get a chance for this?

It is cruel, inhumane, and horrifying, and absolutely 100% necessary.

Yeah that’s basically the argument people used to defend Nazi and Japanese human experiments in WW2

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
A brutal reality is that a lot of breakthroughs in medical science were due to vivisection and atrocities :smithfrog:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

quote:

This case demonstrates that a hydrofluoric acid enema can cause fulminant acute colitis and chronic colonic strictures.
Well. Glad we figured THAT out.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s basically the argument people used to defend Nazi and Japanese human experiments in WW2

sneakyfrog posted:

A brutal reality is that a lot of breakthroughs in medical science were due to vivisection and atrocities :smithfrog:

Those experiments intentionally injured and killed perfectly healthy people and didn't actually produce any usable data.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

Those experiments intentionally injured and killed perfectly healthy people and didn't actually produce any usable data.

Yeah the Nazis would probably do a better job today

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I don't know enough on this topic firsthand to even remotely start. Either way it's horrific

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Memento posted:

Well Anatoli Bugorski survived - they thought he had taken enough radiation that he was definitely dead, but he lived long enough that they realised he wasn't going to succumb to it. He lost his hearing in one ear, suffered major nerve damage to his face and gets exhausted more quickly from mental activity, but has lived a long and fruitful life despite getting 76 GeV in the face.
I suppose that's the thing about how radiation kills you - it's linked to mutation, obviously, and there's a lot of mutations that are going to be silent or damaging but survivable. It's just rolling the dice over and over and over where the wrong rolls are death. Some people are bound to get lucky.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PetraCore posted:

I suppose that's the thing about how radiation kills you - it's linked to mutation, obviously, and there's a lot of mutations that are going to be silent or damaging but survivable. It's just rolling the dice over and over and over where the wrong rolls are death. Some people are bound to get lucky.

no

mutations are what can lead to cancer, not what kill you in the short term. the more immediately cause of acute radiation syndrome is stem cell death.

the reason this guy didn't die is because the dose was very localized rather than a full body dose; it didn't for example blast his gut or most of his bone marrow which are the more dangerous places to get dosed

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

That said, while I believe ethically Ouchi should have been granted assisted suicide and not a medically induced coma, I don't imagine any of the doctors working on him were happy. The problem with the medically induced coma is that it's hard to judge if that's truly cutting the person involved off from pain, iirc, but by the time he requested euthanasia it could be argued that he wasn't in a lucid state of mind to really go over the pros and cons due to the horrific pain of dying. I still think it should have been respected, I just think it has to be acknowledged that the people making that decision weren't monstrous sadists, they did what they could to eliminate his suffering, and what they learned was important. Whether or not you think that makes it worth it depends on your model of ethics and on whether you think potential future results that did pan out justify a choice at a time where that is still unclear. Like, it could easily have been that the damage Ouchi suffered was so severe and unique that keeping him alive would have produced data that was applicable to pretty much nothing else.

Do we know if they went to his next of kin to make the decision? That's usually who gets to make the call in cases where someone's mental state is compromised, iirc.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

A lot of what we know about internal dosing of radionuclides like Radium andPlutonium came from accidental or intentional dosing of humans :smith:.

To say the data was useless is too simple an answer.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

no

mutations are what can lead to cancer, not what kill you in the short term. the more immediately cause of acute radiation syndrome is stem cell death.

the reason this guy didn't die is because the dose was very localized rather than a full body dose; it didn't for example blast his gut or most of his bone marrow which are the more dangerous places to get dosed
Oh. I'm still just an undergraduate in biology and we didn't have any classes on radiation damage so I've mostly just heard about it in the mutating DNA and why that's very bad if it's happening a lot way, and the cancer stuff.

So the stem cell death is a delayed cause of death because it only shows up once your old cells have depleted and need to be replaced, right? And depending on what got hit that's going to have different effects? I can see why the bone marrow would be a very bad spot to get dosed, considering all the cell production that still happens in there. Is there a lot of cell differentiation in the gut? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm genuinely interested.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There was a good post on the last page, I think.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Blindeye posted:

A lot of what we know about internal dosing of radionuclides like Radium andPlutonium came from accidental or intentional dosing of humans :smith:.

To say the data was useless is too simple an answer.
Agreed, I just think saying the data turned out to be useful also ends up being too simple an answer, even if you're basing your ethics on the greater good. Future results are hard to predict and immediate suffering is easy to see.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TTerrible posted:

There was a good post on the last page, I think.
Thank you, I just looked at that. I'm wondering exactly what cells get replaced in the gut so fast, but if BattleMaster doesn't want to answer I can look it up. I understand the bone marrow, hair, and skin stuff.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Agreed, I just think saying the data turned out to be useful also ends up being too simple an answer, even if you're basing your ethics on the greater good. Future results are hard to predict and immediate suffering is easy to see.

Not in Plutonium; that's why there were voluntary and involuntary (men and women assumed to have <1 year to live) subjects who were given material to see where it absorbs to develop means of creating industrial hygiene practices during the Msnhattan project.

It was a terrible decision, but oddly enough I have yet to find any of those individuals having had a death easily attributable to it. The one person given a massive dose after a car crash lived into his 80s, absorbing over his lifetime the equivalent of 2-3 times Ouichi's dose with no ill-effects. Radiation damage in chronic cases is probabilistic.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 2, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PetraCore posted:

Thank you, I just looked at that. I'm wondering exactly what cells get replaced in the gut so fast, but if BattleMaster doesn't want to answer I can look it up. I understand the bone marrow, hair, and skin stuff.

The intestinal epithelium is renewed every 4-6 days.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PetraCore posted:

Oh. I'm still just an undergraduate in biology and we didn't have any classes on radiation damage so I've mostly just heard about it in the mutating DNA and why that's very bad if it's happening a lot way, and the cancer stuff.

So the stem cell death is a delayed cause of death because it only shows up once your old cells have depleted and need to be replaced, right? And depending on what got hit that's going to have different effects? I can see why the bone marrow would be a very bad spot to get dosed, considering all the cell production that still happens in there. Is there a lot of cell differentiation in the gut? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm genuinely interested.

the intestinal lining is a really rough place and lining cells at the top of the villi constantly slough off and need to be replaced. the stem cells in the crypts between villi produce cells that differentiate into villi lining cells and gradually make their way to the top of the villi.

without replacement, the villia begin to flatten and disappear. I assume this has really bad long term consequences for your health, but what tends to kill you more immediately is severe infection as bacteria in your intestinal tract are able to invade the rest of your body through the compromised intestinal lining.

a full body dose of about >10 Gy results in gastrointestinal syndrome that is fatal in about 3 to 10 days in most subjects. a full body dose of >2.5 Gy results in hematopoietic syndrome where your marrow got dosed enough that your supply of white and red blood cells and platelets is diminished enough to be perilous but not a guaranteed death; the LD50 dose is about 5.3 Gy and deaths peak at about 30 days in.

Note that doses big enough to cause gastrointestinal syndrome also cause hematopoietic syndrome, it's just the intestinal damage is the more immediate concern that results in death. the depletion of blood cells probably doesn't help though.

there are no recorded instances of someone surviving gastrointestinal syndrome, so that's why a full-body dose of about 10 Gy is considered to be a guaranteed death

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

the intestinal lining is a really rough place and lining cells at the top of the villi constantly slough off and need to be replaced. the stem cells in the crypts between villi produce cells that differentiate into villi lining cells and gradually make their way to the top of the villi.

without replacement, the villia begin to flatten and disappear. I assume this has really bad long term consequences for your health, but what tends to kill you more immediately is severe infection as bacteria in your intestinal tract are able to invade the rest of your body through the compromised intestinal lining.

a full body dose of about >10 Gy results in gastrointestinal syndrome that is fatal in about 3 to 10 days in most subjects. a full body dose of >2.5 Gy results in hematopoietic syndrome where your marrow got dosed enough that your supply of white and red blood cells and platelets is diminished enough to be perilous but not gauranteed deadly; the LD50 dose is about 5.3 Gy and deaths peak at about 30 days in.

Note that doses big enough to cause gastrointestinal syndrome also cause hematopoietic syndrome, it's just the intestinal damage is the more immediate concern that results in death. the depletion of blood cells probably doesn't help though.
Okay, thanks! I'd assumed bad enough damage to your gut would result in starving as the ability to absorb got disrupted, but I hadn't considered the bacterial angle. The gastrointestinal system can be pretty delicate...

EDIT: Well, and now that I think about, an inability to absorb nutrients intestinally could be treated with IV nutrition. It wouldn't be pleasant, but it'd be treatable.The bleeding and massive infection, not so much.