Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Professor of Cats posted:

I'm waiting for hellcat64. more polygons

Struggling to put together a "Hellcat 360" and "three red rings of death" joke, but I got nuthin. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

tetrapyloctomy posted:

For more per month than my medical school loans.

Yeesh are you taking 20 years to pay them off? My payments are $3k-ish over 7 years and I went to a relatively cheap med school

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

For more per month than my medical school loans.

At $1100 a month they'll be like 30-40% of what I'll make as a doctor until I specialize. But on the other hand, my total student loans are ~40k @ 0-1% interest. In other words, inflation is paying my student loan. On the other hand I'll probably never make more than $100k a year even as a highly specialized doctor nearing retirement.
This being in the land of the Volvo. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Not only that, they're only being offered as a subscription service at $1100/mo. You can't actually BUY one.

To me, that's about the stupidest thing I've heard this week. I hate the X as a service poo poo going on these days that exists purely as an ongoing means of rent-seeking for something that used to be a one-and-done kind of deal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag posted:

To me, that's about the stupidest thing I've heard this week. I hate the X as a service poo poo going on these days that exists purely as an ongoing means of rent-seeking for something that used to be a one-and-done kind of deal.

:hfive:

Seriously.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eh, I can see it. Some people would rather pay a monthly fee to not have to think about anything. At some point, your time becomes more valuable than the money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The car subscription model is interesting because now they own everything. Hook up to the car WiFi and they’ll sell the poo poo out of your data.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It could work really well, and I would be interested since owning a car is a big hassle for how infrequently I actually need it, but traditional rental is too expensive.

There are some car share outfits around here that are OK and don't seem to be outrageously mining personal information. Maybe I should look into those.

Or I could just get a 5-10 year old econobox beater, I guess.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

dyne posted:

Yeesh are you taking 20 years to pay them off? My payments are $3k-ish over 7 years and I went to a relatively cheap med school

Thirty, but I consolidated at 3% and it dropped to 2% after 36 months. So while I'm overpaying a little, it doesn't make sense to pay them off faster when I can invest the money instead (or pay off higher-interest loans, like the mortgage at 3.675%).

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

KillHour posted:

Eh, I can see it. Some people would rather pay a monthly fee to not have to think about anything. At some point, your time becomes more valuable than the money.

Yeah, this is just another rich guy tier above leasing. It mirrors the always-get-a-new-iphone plans, which I think we can all agree def cater to an active market, whether or not its personally too rich for your own blood

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I for one will continue to applaud Dodge. While other car companies are all 'no more cars, more CUVs instead' or 'everything will be hybrid by 2020' they're all 'lol 800hp in a car that shouldn't have more than 400 wut'

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Speaking of non traditional sales, I saw a Genesis G70 pop up shop the other day at the Toronto airport.

I was really impressed.

The cabin is put together beautifully and the machine has a wide, low aggressive stance in the flesh.

They should have hired Richard Attenborough to do the commmercials because they spared no expense.

What really got me interested was the price is all in including 5yrs of maintenance. No bullshit doc fee, PDI, no shipping fee. They ship it directly to your door and will pick it up for servicing and drop off a loaner. You don't step foot into a dealership.

Comparing trim levels and factoring in the maintenance and no fees these things are 10-20k CAD less than the Germans.

I guess the the only thing that gave me pause was the panel gaps:

Pretty wide but consistent. I guess a darker color would hide that.

I haven't even driven it yet and I'm sold.I'm not an enthusiast driver, but I demand thrust.
After getiing reamed on my S4 I want to give these guys a shot.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm scheduled for a G70 manual rwd test drive just for shits and giggles next week. $45k CDN MSRP sounds half decent.

I am very much interested. They're a little heavier than I'd like, but everything is these days.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Death on foot: America's love of SUVs is killing pedestrians

quote:

Our investigation found:

- Federal safety regulators have known for years that SUVs, with their higher front-end profile, are at least twice as likely as cars to kill the walkers, joggers and children they hit, yet have done little to reduce deaths or publicize the danger.
- A federal proposal to factor pedestrians into vehicle safety ratings has stalled, with opposition from some automakers.
- The rising tide of pedestrian deaths is primarily an urban plague that kills minorities at a disproportionate rate.

I wonder if pedestrian safety regulations could see a return to more sedans. Or weird short-nosed SUVs.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

prom candy posted:

I wonder if pedestrian safety regulations could see a return to more sedans. Or weird short-nosed SUVs.
The front end on the new Ford heavy duty pickups is taller than my whole car. Wonder if that's so it can use my roof to block some of the impact in a crash.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Struggling to put together a "Hellcat 360" and "three red rings of death" joke, but I got nuthin. :shrug:
Red-eye of Death? :dunno:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nickbunkley/status/1014144544999460864

Jeep is killing it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Oh no! Who this time?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Oh no! Who this time?

Masculinity itself :(

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the appeal of Jeep?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

prom candy posted:

Opposition from automakers, "It's just the minorities who cares"

If pedestrian safety standards killed giant SUVs it would not bother me one bit.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Rugged penis extentions

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Off roading on a convertible kicks rear end

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Opposition from automakers, "It's just the minorities who cares"

If pedestrian safety standards killed giant SUVs it would not bother me one bit.

Rugged penis extentions

On the other hand they made every new car look like poo poo and should be opposed at every turn

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DonkeyHotay posted:

On the other hand they made every new car look like poo poo and should be opposed at every turn

Sorry, in the future (it's already started to happen) the cars we think look like poo poo will be seen as awesome and cool as gently caress by our kids. No generation is immune to it and neither will we be.

People are already getting nostalgic about jellybean Taruses

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

prom candy posted:

20mph speed limit everywhere that isn't off-limits to pedestrians and bicycles or outside a city + the hardware onboard to strictly enforce it

~fin~

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I was thinking last night - 10 year old Goober Peas wouldn't believe you if you told him he could have a sedan that made over 300hp and got 36 mpg on the highway. 30 years ago 300hp was exotic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I was thinking last night - 10 year old Goober Peas wouldn't believe you if you told him he could have a sedan that made over 300hp and got 36 mpg on the highway. 30 years ago 300hp was exotic.

Hell, try even telling your 10 years ago self that dodge will make a good looking dodge charger with 707hp that does over 200mph

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Sorry, in the future (it's already started to happen) the cars we think look like poo poo will be seen as awesome and cool as gently caress by our kids. No generation is immune to it and neither will we be.

Whoa a mint jelly bean Taurus WOULD be kinda cool now

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KakerMix posted:

We've failed our children.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Old cars were pretty much all pieces of poo poo compared to modern cars and driving one is probably the fastest way to cure most people of nostalgia

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wheeee posted:

Old cars were pretty much all pieces of poo poo compared to modern cars and driving one is probably the fastest way to cure most people of nostalgia

See you say that but plenty of us are driving around objectively worse-than cars and trucks and wouldn't have it any other way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Hell, try even telling your 10 years ago self that dodge will make a good looking dodge charger with 707hp that does over 200mph

And that it'll be basically the same as a 2008 Charger but with new head & taillights and a new stereo.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

20mph speed limit everywhere that isn't off-limits to pedestrians and bicycles or outside a city + the hardware onboard to strictly enforce it

~fin~

When did this subforum go from people who liked cars to people who clutch their pearls at the thought of someone speeding in a vehicle they consider too large?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Murdering pedestrians in my egomobile to own the libs

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BloodBag posted:

When did this subforum go from people who liked cars to people who clutch their pearls at the thought of someone speeding in a vehicle they consider too large?

It feels good when I clutch my pearls

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Murdering pedestrians in my egomobile to own the libs

Perhaps 'don't walk in the road in the middle of the night while also drunk' is a not unreasonable standard.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BloodBag posted:

You can both enjoy cars and support restrictions on cars which would drastically improve cities and the safety of the pedestrians / bicyclists therein.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I love driving and I love cars. My dream car might be a 2,000 HP HyperCar or it might be a cube on wheels with level 4 autonomy and a recliner for me to nap in while it drives me to work. I feel equally excited about both.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Perhaps 'don't drive in the middle of the night while also drunk' is a not unreasonable standard.

Yeah it isn't but boy people keep doing it

eyebeem posted:

I love driving and I love cars. My dream car might be a 2,000 HP HyperCar or it might be a cube on wheels with level 4 autonomy and a recliner for me to nap in while it drives me to work. I feel equally excited about both.

Dunno man we have to consult the AI Handbook to see if this is correct

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Have to agree with this. I love cars and driving, but I would also love to be able to do whatever while a car drives itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

My dad had a '71 Cutlass convertible and although it looked and sounded really cool it drove like complete dog poo poo and his wife refused to ride in it because it always smelled like gas.

He ended up selling it for a slightly used Mustang vert :v: