Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

Games so good they sell consoles and sell like crazy but no third party wants a piece.

It's not a question of profit, it's a question of scale. Like Horizon Zero Dawn got all kinds of great reviews, won tons of awards and sold 8 million units in a year, which is about equal to... *checks notes* the lifetime sales of video game pariah and object of mass ridicule Star Wars Battlefront II. And it doesn't have the microtransactions or lootboxes that are responsible for the vast majority of money EA makes. Even if they lost every single one of their other licenses they'd still make $700mil a year from FIFA cards, poo poo's ridiculous. And they can keep churning out the same FIFA with the same monetization model year after year, whereas single-player games have to take creative risks all the time and there's always the danger that the next game may not be as big of a hit. When it comes to pleasing your shareholders, nobody is gonna simply like "lots of money" when "metric shitton of money" is the other option. They're gonna re-up on the metric shitton every time, and what's more they're gonna say gently caress you to the studios only making lots of money, go make a game more like the metric shitton of money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

last year had a ton of good non exclusive aaa single player games, like maybe more than ever...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Colonel posted:

good third party aaa titles are mostly dead and most big third party western publishers don't see making a greater number of cheaper games as an alternative worth bothering with despite it being something other corners of the market have found plenty of success doing

so now we have the new beyond good & evil 2, a game distinguishing itself from the original beyond good & evil and the original scrapped bge2 by being nothing anyone who liked bge1 wanted from bge2

Have they even shown anything about that game aside from the gently caress-monkey trailer? Like, do we know what the game is actually going to be?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

Have they even shown anything about that game aside from the gently caress-monkey trailer? Like, do we know what the game is actually going to be?

Its literally a nms clone

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Moon Monster posted:

that's up to you, the content creator

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh and re: dishonored 2 flopping

Dont release a niche sp game in fall up against a million other fps games, put it in january.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh and re: dishonored 2 flopping

Dont release a niche sp game in fall up against a million other fps games, put it in january.

January 2019 is a Thunderdome because everyone is trying to avoid Red Dead 2

Edit: well more February I guess

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Speaking of which, have they detailed the RDR2 online functions at all yet? I have a sneaking suspicion that, given how much money GTAO made, interacting with the online functions will be a lot less optional.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Falling back into a Cities Skyline hole, maybe this time I will make a city that doesn't fall apart in on itself.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm still not sure which DLCs are worthwhile for Cities Skylines, please help.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Falling back into a Cities Skyline hole, maybe this time I will make a city that doesn't fall apart in on itself.

The fate of all of man's creations is collapse and decay.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heartcatch posted:

I'm still not sure which DLCs are worthwhile for Cities Skylines, please help.

The main expansions apparently add some gameplay stuff that’s super useful for QoL, as far as I understand it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Moon Monster posted:

after the first trailer, michel ancel said it would be a wide open space sandbox rpg where you start from scratch on a random planet and you can build yourself up from a janitor to having a full pirate crew and also it's a prequel story that might have some bge1 things in it

and then at e3 2018 they showed a trailer with pey'j and jade in it so that people who actually wanted something vaguely related to the first game would care and then joseph gordon-levitt walked on stage and said "hello Content Creators. make things for our game and then we'll pay you if we use them" and then every independent artist who has a vague concept of what spec work is vomited in disgust

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the jade thing is a fakeout, its probably jade's mom. pey'j would be in a bg&e prequel for sure because he knew her parents before they came to system 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i still hate it because no matter where bge2 goes at this point they've completely loving tainted it trying out a business practice that's already lovely enough in other fields and didn't need to be introduced to loving aaa game development

gently caress ubisoft so hard

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

the jade thing is a fakeout, its probably jade's mom. pey'j would be in a bg&e prequel for sure because he knew her parents before they came to system 4
Nah, its Jade. They establish at the end of the first game that Jade isn't human, but is actually some kind of living superweapon that Pey'j and Jade's adopted parents saved from the DOMZ. The real question the new trailer brings up is how Pey'j knew Jade before that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did Michel Ancel abandon Wild in order to go whole hog on this Star Citizen-level bullshit

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Colonel posted:

i hope hk gives me the wall jump soon

I thought the Wall Jump was the second ability everyone got, after the initial Dash, but I've seen people breaking the order of Hollow Knight by accident so often I honestly don't even know if there's a true, definite path you should be following. Follow your guts, I guess.

Also, the boss that gives the Wall Jump is the one where you realize that Team Cherry put some loving effort into these fights, so enjoy it, it's going to be great.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So is No Mans Sky worth $30 in the Steam sale if I'm angling for a dumb "gently caress off in space" game as a way to zen out for an evening?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skypie posted:

So is No Mans Sky worth $30 in the Steam sale if I'm angling for a dumb "gently caress off in space" game as a way to zen out for an evening?
$30 is a little high but yeah its good for that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Michel Ancel abandon Wild in order to go whole hog on this Star Citizen-level bullshit

Seems like it. Rip snake tit goddess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm OK with that, Wild looked like something they shouldn't be doing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Skypie posted:

Subnautica is $20 and by most reports a better survival game if you aren't super attached to space.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

I'm OK with that, Wild looked like something they shouldn't be doing.

I was down for a cool weird game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild would've been better than whatever the gently caress bge2 is

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I looked up wild
https://www.google.com/amp/s/waypoint.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/zmgzze/what-happened-to-wild-michael-ancels-open-world-game-from-2014

Ancel posted to social media that he was working overtime at wild sheep productions in december 2017, and someone from wild sheep said the game exists still in very unhelpful pr speak for this april 2018 article.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ubisoft got very close to not existing in 2018 so who even knows.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Hey I'm looking to get a couple cheap USB controllers, chiefly so the wife and I can play Overcooked without hunching over a single keyboard. What's a good bet that's also pretty cheap?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, I used to collect PEZ because I'm a pop culture nerd and I like all these little mascots. Lately, Funcopops (??) or whatever they're called are popping up all over the place, and I would be all over them except that there probably isn't an aesthetic I find more wretched than big stupid heads on little stupid bodies. At least the PEZ things looked like what they were trying to look up, sometimes, a lot of the time.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to know if there is some competing pop-culture mascot doodads that don't look like a tofu cube with eyes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

Hey, I used to collect PEZ because I'm a pop culture nerd and I like all these little mascots. Lately, Funcopops (??) or whatever they're called are popping up all over the place, and I would be all over them except that there probably isn't an aesthetic I find more wretched than big stupid heads on little stupid bodies. At least the PEZ things looked like what they were trying to look up, sometimes, a lot of the time.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to know if there is some competing pop-culture mascot doodads that don't look like a tofu cube with eyes.

Nendos? Which are vastly superior.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Colonel posted:

i still hate it because no matter where bge2 goes at this point they've completely loving tainted it trying out a business practice that's already lovely enough in other fields and didn't need to be introduced to loving aaa game development

gently caress ubisoft so hard

It's really amazing how they managed to get me to go "I'm interested in that!" with what little the showed of the game, and then immediately just tanked it into the ground with the announcement of the fan created stuff. On top of annoucning that, they didn't mention monitization at all.

And then later when they were like "okay you're right we didn't talk about it, here's the deal" it turned out to be exactly what everyone thought. Ubisoft you are too big of a company to pull that poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nendoroids actually look nice and have a bunch of different expressions and lots of little doodads that you can pose them with, they own

Macaluso posted:

It's really amazing how they managed to get me to go "I'm interested in that!" with what little the showed of the game, and then immediately just tanked it into the ground with the announcement of the fan created stuff. On top of annoucning that, they didn't mention monitization at all.

And then later when they were like "okay you're right we didn't talk about it, here's the deal" it turned out to be exactly what everyone thought. Ubisoft you are too big of a company to pull that poo poo

the best part is that if it's successful then that'll establish a precedent for other aaa western pubs to take advantage of which will only make the already lovely situation with working in game development actively shittier for everyone except the publishers

so. i'm probably not going to buy another ubisoft game now

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh Obduction, you so crazy. Also some of the trippiest imagery I've seen in a while.

Should I be blowing up all of the information beacons around the first area? The game definitely lets you do it but I can't tell if it's for a purpose or just for an achievement.

E: Spoilers for something you can figure out in the first hour of the game I guess.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 2, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
These Nendoroids do look a lot better. But they still are using the same kind of aesthetic :\

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I have a no-Nendo rule. Mostly to preserve my already spotty financial self control.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

credburn posted:

These Nendoroids do look a lot better. But they still are using the same kind of aesthetic :\
the nendo people make another line of figures that's a little less stylized called figmas, that are more expensive but still cheaper than buying the Serious poo poo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

It's not a question of profit, it's a question of scale. Like Horizon Zero Dawn got all kinds of great reviews, won tons of awards and sold 8 million units in a year, which is about equal to... *checks notes* the lifetime sales of video game pariah and object of mass ridicule Star Wars Battlefront II. And it doesn't have the microtransactions or lootboxes that are responsible for the vast majority of money EA makes. Even if they lost every single one of their other licenses they'd still make $700mil a year from FIFA cards, poo poo's ridiculous. And they can keep churning out the same FIFA with the same monetization model year after year, whereas single-player games have to take creative risks all the time and there's always the danger that the next game may not be as big of a hit. When it comes to pleasing your shareholders, nobody is gonna simply like "lots of money" when "metric shitton of money" is the other option. They're gonna re-up on the metric shitton every time, and what's more they're gonna say gently caress you to the studios only making lots of money, go make a game more like the metric shitton of money!

It’s classic share-holder wanting quarterly profits and obscuring the possibilities of the future. There is never as much money in single player games (Skyrim aside) but darlings like HZD, Breath of the Wild, and God of War improve the quality of your brand, get you good press, and make it easier for players to swallow DLC/microtransactions, as we’ve seen in action with Nintendo. If Battlefront 2 been accompanied by that Amy Hennig-written single player game or the lost Lucas Arts bounty hunter game, it would have been easier to forgive and not depended on 50%+ sales two weeks from release to get the same sales numbers that HZD and BotW got.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

And it doesn't have the microtransactions or lootboxes that are responsible for the vast majority of money EA makes.

EA actually told shareholders that DLC, lootboxes, and microtransactions barely make them any money. The majority of their profit comes in straight game sales. EA can make all of their DLC free and it would change nothing for their bottom line.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It’s classic share-holder wanting quarterly profits and obscuring the possibilities of the future. There is never as much money in single player games (Skyrim aside) but darlings like HZD, Breath of the Wild, and God of War improve the quality of your brand, get you good press, and make it easier for players to swallow DLC/microtransactions, as we’ve seen in action with Nintendo. If Battlefront 2 been accompanied by that Amy Hennig-written single player game or the lost Lucas Arts bounty hunter game, it would have been easier to forgive and not depended on 50%+ sales two weeks from release to get the same sales numbers that HZD and BotW got.

Also as people have pointed out before, platform holders like Sony can basically treat their single player AAA games as "loss leaders" (as if selling millions is a loss) because having those kinds of exclusives increases the value and appeal of your console ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey fellow Hollow Knight players: when i finish the game, if i go for a non-secret-boss ending, what happens? do i have to start all over again, or can i resume before the boss fight and pick up where i left off? are there any quests that can be skipped, or broken? (so far it doesn't seem so but i may have already bungled it).

• Locked thread