Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Help, I can't stop saying "Alqualonde" and "Taniquetil" and "Ancalagon," they are all perfect words.

e: a shameful snipe. To continue the film adaptation discussion, I remember reading somewhere that the Uruk-hai-before-Isengard noise was based on PJ having the crowd at a rugby match in NZ perform various chants and roars. I want this to be true! Does anyone know anything else about it...?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

Help, I can't stop saying "Alqualonde" and "Taniquetil" and "Ancalagon," they are all perfect words.

e: a shameful snipe. To continue the film adaptation discussion, I remember reading somewhere that the Uruk-hai-before-Isengard noise was based on PJ having the crowd at a rugby match in NZ perform various chants and roars. I want this to be true! Does anyone know anything else about it...?

This is a conflation of two different stories; he used two different crowds. The voices of the orcs in The Two Towers came from a cricket crowd (NZ v England one-day international in 2002), and the voices for Return of the King are from a rugby crowd (Wellington v Southland provincial championship match in 2003). Both were recorded at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, which is dual-use.

https://movieweb.com/rugby-fans-in-wellington-get-ready-for-the-sounds-of-return-of-the-king/

IIRC he took a camera crew with him to the cricket match and there's footage of him leading the chants in the DVD special features, probably in the Sounds of Middle-Earth bit.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I live maybe 10 minutes from the Stadium, and every time there is a noisy rugby game, I think of this story and feel happy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

poo poo like that is why I love those drat movies. They may not have batted 1000 on some of their choices, but they clearly gave a drat and always went above and beyond.

I may have already mentioned it but the fact that the inside of Theoden's armor has a sun motif embroidered on it just encapsulates the overall attitude they brought to the movies. Hell they even did a bunch of elaborate embroidery on the nazgul robes because they were former Kings and thus should have kingly clothing. Details matter and they drat near hit all of them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I rewatched the trilogy recently and it's frankly stunning just how good the movies are. I feel like they have no business being this good, considering the work that Jackson had produced beforehand.

(talking about LOTR here).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I rewatched the trilogy recently and it's frankly stunning just how good the movies are. I feel like they have no business being this good, considering the work that Jackson had produced beforehand.

(talking about LOTR here).

The music helps and they basically hit a gold mine with New Zealand location shots.

Also LotR is way way way more cinematic than the hobbit

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The ending to RoTK holds some of my favorite music in the trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMWnDC__o4s

For some reason I like that a series that pretty much defined the 21st century movie epic, can end on such a mundane thing as a old, closed door.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 5, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The way LotR begins can be hosed with as befits the medium, and Jackson did so to great effect. However the ending of the book was perfect and he didn’t touch it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Trin Tragula posted:

This is a conflation of two different stories; he used two different crowds. The voices of the orcs in The Two Towers came from a cricket crowd (NZ v England one-day international in 2002), and the voices for Return of the King are from a rugby crowd (Wellington v Southland provincial championship match in 2003). Both were recorded at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, which is dual-use.

https://movieweb.com/rugby-fans-in-wellington-get-ready-for-the-sounds-of-return-of-the-king/

IIRC he took a camera crew with him to the cricket match and there's footage of him leading the chants in the DVD special features, probably in the Sounds of Middle-Earth bit.

Wow, thanks. It must have been amazing to be in those crowds.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Faramir stuff wasn’t perfect, but I like the base change of having him tempted to take the ring before ultimately letting Frodo go. In a way that feels much more noble to me than him just being untempted from day one and it’s more consistent with how just about every other non-hobbit/non-Bombadil reacts to the thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think it’s important that Tolkien provides an example of a man who is fundamentally decent and refuses to play Sauron’s game. Faramir is proof that Sauron’s moral outlook that everyone is possessed of this dominating will to power that would lead them to seize the ring is just plain wrong. It’s all the more important that the movies leave this out because they also cut Tombom and make a hash of Galadriel’s temptation. There winds up being nobody in the movies who really truly gives the lie to the ring’s power. They almost do something like that with Aragorn at the end of Fellowship but it doesn’t go much of anywhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the idea of overcoming temptation rather than simply rejecting temptation outright.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah so did Tolkien, which is why there is already a character in Lord of the Rings whose primary plot purpose is to confront and overpower her (extremely understandable) temptation to take the ring for herself, and another one who actually gets the ring and sees off its temptation by simply reminding himself that it’s not his station in life to become a wizard king and remake the world.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

Yeah so did Tolkien, which is why there is already a character in Lord of the Rings whose primary plot purpose is to confront and overpower her (extremely understandable) temptation to take the ring for herself, and another one who actually gets the ring and sees off its temptation by simply reminding himself that it’s not his station in life to become a wizard king and remake the world.

Sam and Faramir are remarkably similar in their moral outlook.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In some ways, but Sam articulates his refusal of the ring on a social/identity level while Faramir articulates it on a moral/historical level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sam has been conditioned to believe there is no greater pleasure in life than serving men of better breeding. His mind instantly rejects the idea that he might have more than his father did (a patch of garden, a barrel of beer, and a thick-figured wife to lay with).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

sassassin posted:

Sam has been conditioned to believe there is no greater pleasure in life than serving men of better breeding. His mind instantly rejects the idea that he might have more than his father did (a patch of garden, a barrel of beer, and a thick-figured wife to lay with).

Sam’s lack of ambition is portrayed as virtuous, while the Orcs, who lack even the least of these, merely want a better lot than they currently have in the foul pit of Mordor and are considered evil for it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

VanSandman posted:

Sam’s lack of ambition is portrayed as virtuous, while the Orcs, who lack even the least of these, merely want a better lot than they currently have in the foul pit of Mordor and are considered evil for it.
You're leaving out the crucial distinction that the Orcs hate everyone and everything, including themselves, while Sam doesn't.

And lol if you don't think having a plot of garden that's the work of your own hands, the best beer that'll be remembered for decades hence, and a blissful family life isn't the essence of happiness. More power is not the prerequisite for happiness - in most cases more power is the destroyer of happiness.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Taking the ring to use it to make the world better is the only sensible thing to do if you ask me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Orcs have a lot of ambition, like the ones that carry Merry and Pippin around. They wanted to fly around on the fel beasts the Nazgul ride and murder their bosses.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shibawanko posted:

Taking the ring to use it to make the world better is the only sensible thing to do if you ask me.

Therein lies the trap. The Ring's power was not in creation (or sub-creation) but in domination: in over-powering the will of others. Those who use the Ring remove free will from others, and a world without free will is an evil place.

Edit: typo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Friar John posted:

You're leaving out the crucial distinction that the Orcs hate everyone and everything, including themselves, while Sam doesn't.

The orcs that capture Frodo don't seem to hate themselves. They're afraid of their bosses and dream of leaving army life behind to become bandits, labouring only for their own profit (the American dream).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

The temptation to do so is entirely natural (and mastering the temptation is a mark of outstanding character), but not to Tolkien's idealised member of the servant caste. Sam instinctively knows his place.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

sassassin posted:

The temptation to do so is entirely natural (and mastering the temptation is a mark of outstanding character), but not to Tolkien's idealised member of the servant caste. Sam instinctively knows his place.
It's too bad the Hobbits themselves couldn't see his true nature as a servant when they elected him Mayor for 7 consecutive terms.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Friar John posted:

It's too bad the Hobbits themselves couldn't see his true nature as a servant when they elected him Mayor for 7 consecutive terms.

A mayor is a public servant. Power in Hobbiton (and the Shire as a whole) was still held by the Tooks and the Brandybucks: landed gentry with close ties to the King.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Mayor of Hobbiton isn't exactly the sexiest, most powerful position in the world. I don't think it would even get you laid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Free admission to the mathom house. That’s it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

The Mayor of Hobbiton isn't exactly the sexiest, most powerful position in the world. I don't think it would even get you laid.

Rosie could walk into any shoe shop in the Shire and have anything she liked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love too be the mayor in a benevolent anarchy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mayor in this sense is more like justice of the peace or magistrate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

Every tolkien character is a volcel so

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Every tolkien character is a volcel so

Pippin surely fucks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pippin surely fucks

Pippin isn't even an adult as Hobbits count it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

euphronius posted:

Free admission to the mathom house. That’s it.

I like how their only landmark is just a building full of fondue sets and bath salts

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don’t the main hobbits end up donating cool poo poo like their gondor/rohan getups, the mithril coat, sting, and so on to it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Mayor in this sense is more like justice of the peace or magistrate.

Nah that would have been the purview of the self-appointed Thane and Marshal, as with the Old Took and the ruler of Brandybuck Hall before them.

The mayor organised raffles, made sure the post office had enough trustworthy posthobbits, and gave short speeches during ribbon-cutting ceremonies.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some real contempt for local government by the people for the people itt

Centralists :argh:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Thane definitely has all the real power in the Shire and is not appointed in any democratic way at all.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

More protests today over the presence in the Shire of Captain Peregrin Took, a known special forces officer for the tyrant "King in the West". While he has publically claimed to be visiting family, he has been sighted several times in uniform.

Took is best known for his role in the assassination of the previous king of Angmar alongside horse lord insurgents...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Here, from my own copy of the Fellowship:

"The Thain was the master of the Shire-moot, and captain of the Shire-muster and the Hobbitry-in-arms; but as muster and moot were only held in times of emergency, which no longer occured, the Thainship had ceased to be more than a nominal dignity."

And about the mayor:

"The only real official in the Shire at this date was the Mayor of Michel Delving (...) As a mayor almost his only duty was to preside at banquets, given on the Shire-holidays, which occured at frequent intervals. But the offices of the Postmaster and First Shirriff were attached to the mayoralty, so that he managed both the Messenger Service and the Watch"