Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Scyantific, what character screen add on is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I'm thinking it's this one.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Rollersnake posted:

On an XBox controller, do yourself a favor and remap bar swap to B, Ability 3 to left d-pad and stick your least-used skill (magelight, expert hunter or whatever) there. It is much easier to deal with rotations and maneuvering while performing them if you do this.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Beefeater posted:

I'm thinking it's this one.

Hey, this is a nifty little mod!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

It makes perfect sense, and if anyone has a better solution I'd love to hear it. When you're moving with the left stick, it's cumbersome as gently caress having left d-pad as one of your most frequently used buttons in combat.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 30, 2018

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

It makes perfect sense, and if anyone has a better solution I'd love to hear it. When you're moving with the left stick, it's cumbersome as gently caress having left d-pad as one of your most frequently used buttons in combat.

I guess if you have small hands or something. Hey, if it works for you, though, then great.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
On an Xbox controller, specifically, because the stick is above the d-pad. Like, regardless of the size of your hands, I can't comprehend how you'd use the d-pad while moving unless you had some weird claw grip or an extra finger on the right side of your thumb. :psyduck:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

On an Xbox controller, specifically, because the stick is above the d-pad. Like, regardless of the size of your hands, I can't comprehend how you'd use the d-pad while moving unless you had some weird claw grip or an extra finger on the right side of your thumb. :psyduck:

Right thumb. It's pretty easy for me.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
What in the actual gently caress.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Am I reading correctly that in Summerset now, melee weapons for magicka characters has gone from dual swords to 2h? Was going to make a casual magblade and wanted a good melee option, even though I know fire staff is the recommendation. Also, how does fire staff compare with shock or ice staves for just casual solo play? I guess my confusion comes from reading guides which are all mostly written as min/max group performance so I don't know how much it matters if I just want to do my own thing to quest and explore.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

JackBadass posted:

Right thumb. It's pretty easy for me.

I want to beat you to death with a sock full of nickles.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

graynull posted:

Am I reading correctly that in Summerset now, melee weapons for magicka characters has gone from dual swords to 2h? Was going to make a casual magblade and wanted a good melee option, even though I know fire staff is the recommendation. Also, how does fire staff compare with shock or ice staves for just casual solo play? I guess my confusion comes from reading guides which are all mostly written as min/max group performance so I don't know how much it matters if I just want to do my own thing to quest and explore.

You only want to use ice staves if you're tanking. Fire or shock staves are both fine, just depends what bonus you want (single target or AoE damage).

If you're playing solo most of the time, or even just sub level 50 groups, use whatever you find fun to play. You'll be plenty effective no matter what weapon you choose.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a few questions related to early/mid level group content. I remember doing the fungal grotto (or something like that) with goons back when I was playing before quitting for a while. The last couple of days I’ve been having fun mucking around solo but I’d like to play with other people a bit and was thinking about trying the dungeon finder. Are people going to be ok with a half decent at best magblade dps in the party who is totally unfamiliar with dungeons? I don’t want to ruin other people’s nights if there’s the potential of me loving up and getting others killed. Also, other than the dungeon finder, is there any other multiplayer pve content I should be checking out? My magblade is approaching level 30.

On a side note, I was having a lot of fun with warden and got up to level 8 but it seemed like a shame to miss all of the quests I had already done on my other characters. I wish there were a class change option in the crown store because I would totally do that.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just hop into dungeon finder, it’s chill as hell. You’ll be fine.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Just hop into dungeon finder, it’s chill as hell. You’ll be fine.

Cool, thanks. Didn’t know how serious to expect it to be.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

I want to beat you to death with a sock full of nickles.

Guess I don't have small hand problems.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rio posted:

Cool, thanks. Didn’t know how serious to expect it to be.

I’m bad at this game and I’ve found that most dungeons are fine but for some of the dlc dungeons, especially newer ones, people get a little prickly. At my level of noobishness I’d just drop out of them but I’m probably over cautious.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Snowy posted:

I’m bad at this game and I’ve found that most dungeons are fine but for some of the dlc dungeons, especially newer ones, people get a little prickly. At my level of noobishness I’d just drop out of them but I’m probably over cautious.

Always stay silent, and if someone starts to complain, blame it on the role you're not playing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The base game is on sale on Steam for $10. Is it worth just picking that up and playing around to see if I like the game?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Very much so. The base game has, imo, way too much content in it, it's daunting.

Fernando Frantegro
Oct 9, 2007
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem. That is Consulting
Picked up the base game from steam the other week. Now i'm debating if I should get Summerset and go ESO+ are they worth it?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Fernando Frantegro posted:

Picked up the base game from steam the other week. Now i'm debating if I should get Summerset and go ESO+ are they worth it?

If you're choosing just one, Morrowind is better than Summerset imo, though Summerset is good.

If you're willing to spend the money and are enjoying the base game, getting Summerset and ESO+ (for a month, anyway) are definitely worth it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

The base game is on sale on Steam for $10. Is it worth just picking that up and playing around to see if I like the game?

If possible, I'd recommend not getting it from Steam.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Here it is straight from The ESO store for tenbux https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store/product/eso_morrowind_edition

Steam has been having issues with logins lately or something. $10 for this is absolutely worth it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Boy I wish I had checked the thread before hitting the buy button.

Maybe I can get a refund.

Fernando Frantegro
Oct 9, 2007
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem. That is Consulting

Blockhouse posted:

Boy I wish I had checked the thread before hitting the buy button.

Maybe I can get a refund.

Same here. I ended up getting Morrowind with my purchase. I think i'm going to go ahead and get Summerset and eso+.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

they're good

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

somethingawful bf posted:

If possible, I'd recommend not getting it from Steam.

Yeah, Steam has been... sketchy lately, to say the least. Still, I'd rather have the Steam version just to have all my games together in one place.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How out of date is the OP?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, Steam has been... sketchy lately, to say the least. Still, I'd rather have the Steam version just to have all my games together in one place.

You can always add non-steam games to steam.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DJ Dizzy posted:

How out of date is the OP?

It’s two years old, good sir.

Veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

A good site with decent builds and some good newbie guides: https://dottzgaming.com/
A good site with excellent power builds: https://alcasthq.com
The very best stuff for aspiring tanks: https://woeler.eu
Auction house item price tracking: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
Item sets to fuel your dreams: http://eso-sets.com/
THE most important FSO site: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/
Add ons! http://www.esoui.com/addons.php
I think this came from Reddit, not sure who wrote it, but it’s a v good healer guide:

quote:

GEAR AND poo poo
5p Sets
• Spell Power Cure (White Gold Tower): The most important set, you always want to have it active. Massive boost to dps as it adds over 250 weapon and spell damage.
• Worm's Raiment (Vaults of Madness): Made its way into the healer meta back when trials were dominated by magicka DPS. Now that stamina dominated groups are more common, I think it will fall off as a set you should keep, but you don't always need active.
• Healing Mage (Aetherian Archive): Amazing set. It is a noticeable difference when Mending is active and when its not. One healer should always have Mending in trials, and I almost never change it for dungeons either.
• Kagrenac's Hope (Crafted, Earth Forge): The best starter set for healers in my opinion. Health, Magicka Regen, Max Magicka, and a bunch of Spell Damage. All of the stats you need to start building a healer.
• Armor of the Seducer (Crafted, 2nd Alliance Zone): If you feel like you are having resource issues, you can use Seducer until you learn how to manage them. Law of Julianos (Crafted, Wrothgar): Gives raw power to healing. If you don't have access to Kagrenac, this would be my 2nd choice.
• Eyes of Mara (Crafted, Eyevea): Suffers the same blight as Light Speaker, looks like a good set on paper, but it only affects 2-3 skills. 12% reduced cost may seem like a lot, but really the cost of Restoration Staff skills is offset by the magicka return from Healing Springs.
• Draugr's Rest (Falkreath Hold): If the sacred ground had a larger radius it would be a very strong set. Right now, it's just too small to be useful over another set.
• Master Architect (Halls of Fabrication): Your ulitmates now carry Major Slayer for the 2 closest DPSes. Positioning is very important.
• Inventor's Guard (Halls of Fabrication): Your ultimates now carry Major Aegis for the 2 closest DPSes. Positioning is still very important.
• Infallible Mage (Aetherian Archive, Sanctum Ophida, Hel Ra Citadel): This set was popular before shock damage allowed us to get the same debuff (Minor Vulnerability). On certain fights (Lightning Storm Atronach, Foundation Stone Atronach, Ra Kotu) it is still useful because these bosses can't be concussed, and therefore they can't get Minor Vulnerability the normal way.
• Twilight Remedy (Maw of Lorkhaj): Orbs, Shards, Rituals, Novas, and any other synergies you throw out now carry Minor Force and a huge heal. Wearing this set can give ranged magicka characters Minor Force, which is a huge buff.
• Light Speaker (Elden Hollow): It seems like its a very strong set on paper, but once you realize that it only buffs Healing Springs, Combat Prayer, and Rapid Regeneration it falls short.
• Stendarr's Embrace (Eastmarch): I like this set on healers in pvp. Free purge every 30 seconds is a bit weak in pve, but in pvp its actually really strong if you can time the cooldown with a push through a keep wall.
• Combat Physician (Wayrest Sewers): Again, it seems like it would be good. I tried it, but the shield size and only affecting one person at a time really limits its usability.
• Trinimac's Valor (Wrothgar): This set is bugged or something. I can spam Healing Ward or any other shield and it procs maybe 1 out of 20 times. Not a 20% chance from my testing. Sees moderate use on DK due to Igneous Shield.
• Meritorious Service (Yes I am serious)(Tel Var Merchants): If it gave more resistances or had a longer duration I could see it being useful for certain fights. Currently its only use is in Zerg VS Zerg.
• Sanctuary (Banished Cells): It may seem like a good set, but its way overkill. In a good group, you won't need the extra healing so its just wasted spots.
• Healers Habit (Dragonstar Arena): This set is absolutely useless on Templars and Nightblades. On Warden, DK, and Sorc it sees SOME (but very little) use as there is no 'easy' way to get Minor Mending, outside of a potion or something.
• Prayer Shawl (Spindleclutch): This set suffers the same fate as most of the other healer sets. It's just simply outclassed by SPC/Mending or SPC/Worm. If the shield was stronger or longer then maybe it could be useful, but right now it's just too weak. Many old sets are like this.
• Gossamer (Cradle of Shadows): Major Evasion is nice, but a 10% proc chance for 6 seconds makes this set not as viable as it could be. Make no mistake, this set will add to survivability, just less so than say Mending or Twilight.
Weapon Sets/Monster Helmets
• The Master's Restoration Staff (vDSA): The Stamina restoration makes this very strong. Especially since stam is meta again. Has an 8m radius to the caster.
• The Maelstrom's Restoration Staff (vMA): This is a very situational item. In places like vASS this is an amazing item because you'll be off by yourself sometimes and you won't have any way to get a heavy attack off. Everywhere else its kinda meh because you can just HA.
• The Asylum's Restoration Staff/Perfected Restoration Staff (nAS, vAS, vHM AS): The sustain from this set is good in very healing heavy fights (such as Asylum). If you need to fill a slot because you have body/jewelry for your sets, this is an easy one to acquire.
• Earthgore (Veteran Bloodroot Forge): Massive amount of healing. If it procs, it will keep someone from dying.
• Nightflame (Veteran Elden Hollow II): Again a large amount of healing over a short period of time. I feel that if this set had another effect (such as a resource return) it would be a very strong set for new healers.
• Chokethorn (Veteran Elden Hollow I): The problems with the healing monster sets are that they are only extra healing. Almost all of the healer monster sets could become viable if they had a secondary effect, like Sentinel of Rkugamz. Chokethorn at least gives one piece magicka recovery.
• Troll King (Veteran Blessed Crucible): Health Recovery is a useless stat, unless you buff the hell out of it. This set is more like a 750hps hot (1500 recovery, ticks every 2 seconds).
• Ancient Grace (PvP Jewelry Rewards): This is a very underrated set. Sometimes it is viable to use 2/3/5 on a healer, like if you have a stamina dominated group and would like to use a monster set over Worm Cult. I've seen some Wardens use this set and reach 50k Magicka, which is unheard of for most 5/5 setups.
• Sentinel of Rkugamz (Veteran Darkshade Caverns I): Restores Stamina when group members stand in the spider. It has a small range, but it is very strong. Good for tight stacks.
SKILLS AND poo poo
Different skills for different stuff. Always adapt to your group, don't make them adapt to you.
COMBAT PRAYER:
This is your main buff skill. Everyone standing in it will get minor berserk, which will increase their damage by 8%. ALWAYS have this down on someone.
SPRINGS:
This is your main healing skill. It hits 6 people and can stack up to 3 times, making it one of the strongest skills for a healer.
BREATH OF LIFE/FUNGAL GROWTH/TWILIGHT MATRIARCH:
This is your burst heal. Self explanatory.
ELEMENTAL DRAIN:
Minor Magickasteal. Huge sustain buff.
SHARDS/ORBS:
These are your main way to add to group sustain (outside of the Master Staff and Elemental Drain). Orbs are also this nice little thing called the best heal in the game. Ticks 879 every .5 sec and explodes for a poo poo ton of healing? No other reason needed.
PURGE:
Healing is very situational. For Craglorn I will use ritual but for things like MoL/HoF/rear end I will use purge. Just use purge if you're unsure.
HORN:
MAJOR Force, 15% extra critical damage and 10% extra max resources. It's a huge buff, which is why optimized groups will have nearly perfect uptime on it.
NOVA:
Lots of trials can have everything go to poo poo really fast. Nova, Sleet Storm, and Consuming Darkness will reduce damage by 30% (Nova is a boss debuff, SS/CD are player buffs. Yes they stack.) If you see everything about to fall apart, drop a nova on it and save the day.
MY BARS AND poo poo
TEMPLAR
Setup 1: 5/5 Setup (No vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Luminous Shards, Ritual of Retribution, Channeled Focus, Solar Prison.
• Restoration Bar: Dampen Magic, Healing Springs, Combat Prayer, Breath of Life, Energy Orb, Aggressive Warhorn.
Setup 2: 5/5 (vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Luminous Shards, Ritual of Retribution, Energy Orb, Solar Prison.
• Restoration Bar: Mutagen, Healing Springs, Combat Prayer, Breath of Life, Dampen Magic, Aggressive Warhorn.
WARDEN
5/5 (vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Budding Seeds, Lotus Blossom, Blue Betty, Aggressive Warhorn.
• Restoration Bar: Mutagen, Healing Springs, Combat Prayer, Dampen Magic, Energy Orbs, Northern Storm.
NIGHTBLADE
5/5 (vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Refreshing Path, Funnel Health, Energy Orb, Aggressive Warhorn.
• Restoration Bar: Combat Prayer, Mutagen, Healthy Offering, Healing Springs, Dampen Magic, Bolstering Darkness.
SORCERER
5/5 (No vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Twilight Matriarch, Efficient Purge, Boundless Storm (Flex, I prefer the armor buff, can also slot orbs here and use Mutagen with vMA Staff), Absorption Field
• Restoration Bar: Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, Twilight Matriarch, Empowered Ward, Energy Orb, Aggressive Warhorn.
DRAGONKNIGHT
5/5 (vMA):
• Lightning Bar: Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain, Cauterize, Dampen Magic, Energy Orbs, Aggressive Warhorn.
• Restoration Bar: Combat Prayer, Mutagen, Healing Springs, Efficient Purge, Igneous Shield, Reviving Barrier.

Edit: yep, from here https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/7uiz3f/best_healer_build/

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 1, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Coldforge posted:

It’s two years old, good sir.

Veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

A good site with decent builds and some good newbie guides: https://dottzgaming.com/
A good site with excellent power builds: https://alcasthq.com
The very best stuff for aspiring tanks: https://woeler.eu
Auction house item price tracking: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
Item sets to fuel your dreams: http://eso-sets.com/
THE most important FSO site: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/
Add ons! http://www.esoui.com/addons.php
I think this came from Reddit, not sure who wrote it, but it’s a v good healer guide:

Edit: yep, from here https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/7uiz3f/best_healer_build/

Sweet. Thanks!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this will be helpful as I make my sneaky stablizard

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
The skill disparity in this game is kind of insane. I hit CP160 on my Mag Sorc two days ago and was getting 5-6K DPS on a dummy if I really tried. This was with light weaving and what I thought was a decent rotation. I slightly changed my rotation and relaxed my light attack -> ability timing, and now I'm getting 16-24K depending on if I'm using a potion and my Ultimate. That's like a 400% increase in DPS by timing things slightly differently and applying my DoTs in a different order.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Regarding eso+, it’s pretty good even if you are just doing it for the crafting bag.

I have been super hooked since coming back. Still have over 20k crowns after spending 10k already due to having been subbed to eso+ the whole time I had quit - some day when Somerset comes to the crown store do you think it will be included with eso+ at that point too or will it likely only be available for purchase with crowns? I am probably going to hoard a lot of the crowns anyway but I’ll set some aside if it seems like I will need them for Somerset at some point.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

rio posted:

Regarding eso+, it’s pretty good even if you are just doing it for the crafting bag.

I have been super hooked since coming back. Still have over 20k crowns after spending 10k already due to having been subbed to eso+ the whole time I had quit - some day when Somerset comes to the crown store do you think it will be included with eso+ at that point too or will it likely only be available for purchase with crowns? I am probably going to hoard a lot of the crowns anyway but I’ll set some aside if it seems like I will need them for Somerset at some point.

Is Morrowind free with Plus now? Summerset will probably be the same.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alright, I was bored outta my mind till I had tons of fun when I joined Goons in Warframe, and i'd like to do the same here, because ESO is kinda boring me right now.

User ID @Mugsy182

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I had no idea that because my game came with Morrowind it just drops you off in Morrowind instead of doing what is (according to what I looked up) the normal tutorial/starting zone.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

ESO+ is also good for reducing crafting research times by 10%. It may not seem like much at first but when things start taking 30 days (even with skill points) it really is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Coldforge posted:

Is Morrowind free with Plus now? Summerset will probably be the same.

Yes, I actually wrote support because I was getting conflicting info in game and out. I found being characters to Vvardenfell but my new characters would still start in the old starting area and tutorial and in the crown store it had an option for Morrowind to “unlock permanently” for crowns despite being an eso+ subscriber. I didn’t really get an answer with why my characters are starting in the old areas but support did confirm that Morrowind is included. I didn’t know if Somerset was since there are posts floating around about how you can’t get them with crowns and it isn’t technically DLC but maybe that was the case for Morrowind too - since I had quit before Wardens I wasn’t around for the Morrowind discussion to see the wording they used for what it was, if it would ever be in the store in the future etc.