Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Planet X posted:

I know that worm colors depend on water conditions. I've used green colored worms before but if you have colors that have worked, I'd love to know hear.

Green if the water is clear, Black/blue if its murky.

If it's sunny, use colors as above but add sparkles.

At least this is what the internet taught me

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

First Time Caller posted:

Green if the water is clear, Black/blue if its murky.

If it's sunny, use colors as above but add sparkles.

At least this is what the internet taught me

Pumpkin with green and black flake or anything brassy has given me the most sustained hits in my stained New England water.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Here, have 47.5 inches of muskellunge.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

nmfree posted:

gently caress you

(Great fish)

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

nmfree posted:

Tell us more. I want to get one of these in the upper potomac at some point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Planet X posted:

Go big or go home!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...xhoCXp8QAvD_BwE

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Planet X posted:

That was actually the fourth muskie that I had attracted so far: the first two I had follow my lure, but I lost them due to poor turns at the boat*, the third I finally made a good turn and hooked it boatside, but lost it (I let too much line pay out and the fish was about 6 inches too far away to net when it threw the hook); and the fourth was almost textbook**. The best part is that the three other guys I'm fishing with this week haven't seen a muskie yet :unsmigghh:

We have one more full day with the guide later this week, so here's hoping I catch another one!

* Our guide has his clients crank in the bait, and then make a circle at the side of the boat. Literally stick the tip of the rod in the water and make a 3-4 foot diameter counterclockwise oval dragging the lure. The guide estimates that 70-80% of strikes are while making the turn, and I was 4 for 4 on having fish approach my lure at the boat while turning.

**Narrator Voice: It wasn't.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I watched some Muskie videos online and I think all the muskies they caught were when they made a figure 8 in the water next to the boat too.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I watched some Muskie videos online and I think all the muskies they caught were when they made a figure 8 in the water next to the boat too.

Yep. I tried it down here in (FL) a murky cut off the side of a canal outflow and had a monster LMB follow it.

I also have resident snook at the end of my canal and they won’t touch lures or live bait but I have had a couple follows doing the figure 8 of all things, lol.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Any tips on how to not massively suck at beach fishing (in S. Fla.), particularly bait selection and what sort of rigs to use?

I know what I'm doing on the reef, intracoastal, or in freshwater, but on a beach I'm completely out of my element. All I ever manage to catch are lovely saltwater catfish (unlike freshwater this is not a good thing) and crabs.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enigma posted:

Any tips on how to not massively suck at beach fishing (in S. Fla.), particularly bait selection and what sort of rigs to use?

I know what I'm doing on the reef, intracoastal, or in freshwater, but on a beach I'm completely out of my element. All I ever manage to catch are lovely saltwater catfish (unlike freshwater this is not a good thing) and crabs.

Use a 2 hook (dropper) rig with pyramid weight on the bottom. Best general bait is filets of fingerling mullet or strips of bluefish belly, thread hook through a couple times but leave a “tail” that will wiggle in the current. Dig your hands into the sand after a wave breaks on shore and see if you can catch sand fleas. If you do throw the big ones on the hook and have fun!

For artificial I love nekid ball jigs off the beach, when the fish are really aggressive it even outfishes the bait described above.

You can expect bluefish, Spanish Mack’s, white trout, whiting, jacks, speckled trout, the occasional redfish, etc.

During the fall mullet run Tarpon and other big predators are reachable from the beach too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

tesilential posted:

Use a 2 hook (dropper) rig with pyramid weight on the bottom. Best general bait is filets of fingerling mullet or strips of bluefish belly, thread hook through a couple times but leave a “tail” that will wiggle in the current. Dig your hands into the sand after a wave breaks on shore and see if you can catch sand fleas. If you do throw the big ones on the hook and have fun!

For artificial I love nekid ball jigs off the beach, when the fish are really aggressive it even outfishes the bait described above.

You can expect bluefish, Spanish Mack’s, white trout, whiting, jacks, speckled trout, the occasional redfish, etc.

During the fall mullet run Tarpon and other big predators are reachable from the beach too.

Seconded for West coast surf fishing, too. 2-4oz sinkers, depending on current. Clam necks are good natural bait, and Gulp sandworms have a great reputation.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the tips, tesilential and A Pack of Kobolds. Dropper rig with pyramid sinker is what I've tried in the past, so maybe just rotten luck and inability to read the surf.

I didn't think redfish or trout came this far south. I've only ever heard of them being caught in the north half of the state.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Thanks, A Pack of Kobalds! I finally got the dick spoon yesterday. Sorry the Ann Arbor post office is total clown shoes - I didn't even get (or maybe didn't see, if it was slipped into a circular or something) the notice that it was at the post office before.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Question: I am looking for a cheap versatile rod I can lend a friend to do some perch fishing with me (off a boat) and then use for float fishing/ground bait/maybe dropshotting afterwards.

I have not bothered with gear in years, but my gut tells me to go for a medium size spinning rod, tele for mobility, something like up to 30g casting weight, stationary reel and 0.2/0.3 line

Any thoughts?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

Thanks for the tips, tesilential and A Pack of Kobolds. Dropper rig with pyramid sinker is what I've tried in the past, so maybe just rotten luck and inability to read the surf.

I didn't think redfish or trout came this far south. I've only ever heard of them being caught in the north half of the state.

Reading the surf is everything. Try a bunch of different places and don't stick to a spot that isn't productive. I love surf fishing and I'm not even that great at it, but I'm trying to put the time in to git gud. If you want to try some other rigs, there's a good book called Notley's Book of Saltwater Knots & Rigs, or something to that effect. Might see if you can get a used copy.

a foolish pianist posted:

Thanks, A Pack of Kobalds! I finally got the dick spoon yesterday. Sorry the Ann Arbor post office is total clown shoes - I didn't even get (or maybe didn't see, if it was slipped into a circular or something) the notice that it was at the post office before.

gently caress yeah, I'm glad you finally got it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Catching a bunch of small small mouths on a mepps spinner just casting towards cover near shore from our boat. Would like to catch some bigger ones but also happy to be catching at all! Having absolutely no luck with a wacky rigged Senko surprisingly. Not sure if I'm putting it in the wrong place or presenting it wrong or if it's just too big for the little fish.

Also, semi-serious question: I have a cheap small sit-in kayak and a shed full of miscellaneous tools. What's the bare minimum I would need to fish from it and not have a terrible time? I'm thinking at minimum I need a rod holder and a paddle holder. Tackle box can probably go between my legs. I was thinking of trying to macgyver something since right now we're using a pontoon boat and it's pretty dicey to get close to structure.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I found a rocky area at a jetty near the part of the beach I planned to fish and spent a couple hours soaking ballyhoo plugs.

Got two mutton snapper just short of the limit (biggest was 16", gotta be 18"), a good sized jack crevalle (one of the few fish I won't eat) and a keeper lane snapper. No mangrove snappers, which was surprising–almost as much as catching two muttons, which I've never caught from shore.

Gonna try again tomorrow.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Also, semi-serious question: I have a cheap small sit-in kayak and a shed full of miscellaneous tools. What's the bare minimum I would need to fish from it and not have a terrible time? I'm thinking at minimum I need a rod holder and a paddle holder. Tackle box can probably go between my legs. I was thinking of trying to macgyver something since right now we're using a pontoon boat and it's pretty dicey to get close to structure.
You can forgo the paddle holder if you fix the paddle to your body (waist maybe) with a leash. Or to the Kajak, however, I have no idea what a Kajak offers in terms of fixation points.

Also maybe a small anchor? I use a canoe for fishing in Sweden on a really quiet lake but even the smallest wind inevitably moves you in some direction.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

A pole holder is not needed but it is a serious quality of life upgrade to have you equipment out of the way. You can rest your paddle across your lap and if you want some gear leashes, hit up you thrift shops and grab some electronic spiral/expandable charges and some clips makes cheap and super effective gear leashes.

A good idea is to sit in the kayak, in the yard and play with layout as I personally do not like anything between my legs when I have to paddle, it just feels odd and is uncomfortable to me.

A neat way to go about it is carry the kayak on the pontoon, anchor and launch the kayak. You can carry minimum gear that way and cover lots of ground.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh that's a cool idea! My wife really likes to sit on the boat and read while I fish so bringing the kayak along would be perfect. The part about the wind might be an issue though, we were getting blown around like crazy even on the pontoon yesterday, it's a pretty windy lake.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You can buy pretty cheap foldable anchors and rope at building supplies stores with home and garden departments over here, should be the same in the US. Alternatively depending on the water body and dange of losing the anchor, I ahve used bricks with a hile and a lien through as weight. That won't help with strong winds or currents though.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

A drift sock is wonderful for kayaks especially if you can rig it where it's moveable from front to back. It will easily slow your movement to a crawl so you can fish a shore line.

Tying yourself off to submerged trees is nice if that's a option.

I have a foldable anchor but I rarely use it (I honestly have not seen it in years) having only one spot anchored causes the kayak to rotate in ways I never got used to so I prefer a drift sock. If its not windy i used to use a stake out pole, that I left in Texas when I moved, those have the added benefit of no line to tangle or an anchor getting stuck.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 2, 2018

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Picked up a new 7wt fly rod and reel on friday, got to break it in today. (took it out Saturday for carp but no luck)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Headed down to the Tar River, was fishing a live bream on the bottom in about 2 feet of water. Something took it and fought like a sonofabitch all the way in. Went to pull him up onto the pier and saw it was a bowfin...right before the 8lb test went kapow and snapped off :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

You can buy pretty cheap foldable anchors and rope at building supplies stores with home and garden departments over here, should be the same in the US. Alternatively depending on the water body and dange of losing the anchor, I ahve used bricks with a hile and a lien through as weight. That won't help with strong winds or currents though.

In reference to nothing, I've been in Germany for a couple of weeks and my goodness the fishing laws here are strict.

Nabokoffin posted:

Picked up a new 7wt fly rod and reel on friday, got to break it in today. (took it out Saturday for carp but no luck)

Beautiful! You may consider posting in the Post a Fish thread in the Take a Hike subforum.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Beautiful! You may consider posting in the Post a Fish thread in the Take a Hike subforum.

There are MORE fishing threads?!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

In reference to nothing, I've been in Germany for a couple of weeks and my goodness the fishing laws here are strict.

Don't get me startet. just getting my general fishing license cost me close to 400marks (200€) back in 1996 jusz for the mandatory lessons, which was a lot for a student. Plus the fee for actually issuing it for 5 years. And then you pay for every single body of water you want to fish in. Unless it is club owned, the you get to pay a membership and put in 14 days of work duty (cleaning, weeding, replacing fish etc).

It sucks and is drat expensive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why is it like that?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Part of it is because they want people to be educated on the laws surrounding fishing, and they also teach you about the local fish, about proper "ethical" killing, and about techniques and stuff in order to prevent overfishing and cruelty to animals.

I can see why you need a permit for each water body as well, we are 80+million Germans and we already managed to almost empty out some of our lakes and rivers in the past.

But a 6 weekend course and difficult test is overkill.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

Part of it is because they want people to be educated on the laws surrounding fishing, and they also teach you about the local fish, about proper "ethical" killing, and about techniques and stuff in order to prevent overfishing and cruelty to animals.

I can see why you need a permit for each water body as well, we are 80+million Germans and we already managed to almost empty out some of our lakes and rivers in the past.

But a 6 weekend course and difficult test is overkill.

Are there subsidies for poor people or is the price point meant to make angling unavailable to all but the most serious anglers with cash to spare? I get that overfishing has been a problem, but are fish hatcheries and stocking verboten?

I think about how many fudds where I live complain about license fees, and an annual license for saltwater, freshwater, and shellfish is only like $100 for any legal body of water in the state.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There are no subsidies as far as I am aware.

However, and this may be different in the states or Russia for example, people here don't (really) fish for food as far as I am aware, unless they are commercial fisherman.
Most lakes and rivers have strict daily numbers like "take home a max of 2 pike per day, plus 20 perch" (perch being really common and for some reasons most people don't see them as a tasty fish.

In terms of restocking, for most large water bodies, like lake Starnberg near me, fishing rights are with the conmercial fishermen, Lake Starnberg has 3-5 of those I think. They usually form a sort of board that hands out fishing licenses to hobbyists. You can get these on a day, week, month or season (May to Oktober for the lake mentioned) basis. Of course these fishermen are responsible for restocking and they do it because it is their livelihood.

Smaller lakes and minor rivers usually "belong" to a fishing club or clubs. These will also do restocking and hand out licenses. In many cases you need to become a member to fish. They also make rules on how many fish to take out.

Generally speaking, the fish populations in our lakes and rivers would not be able to survive unregulated fishing as they are too small.

Fun fact, fishing without a license is considered "fish poaching" and you can be taken to court for it and additionally charged with unlawful killing of an animal, because you are only allowed to kill fish if you have a fishing license.

On the upside, the system works. I am going on holiday soon to a lake that was nearly deserted 10 years ago due to unregulated fishing in the former DDR and now has a sizeable population of large pike, perch and other species again.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 9, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thank you for answering! I am glad that poachers are prosecuted. It's kind of a shame that eating one's catch isn't more popular though. It's an immensely satisfying thing to harvest one's own food.

Viel glück for your trip, and please post pics of your catch!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I will, if I catch anything. The lake is notriously difficult to fish for non locals. Bur I will rent a boat with depth-sounder or whatever you call it, to find swarms of smaller fish and then try to lure the predators out.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hopper, your country is awful. I just paid $325 for lifetime saltwater fishing in Florida including lobster and snook permits and it felt expensive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
yeah i'm sure germany wants to take advice from florida

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True, my lifetime fishing license cost me 250€ now that I am over 35. Plus seasonal tickets for any water body of course.
However, what I pay more for fishing I save in health insurance. You probably pay more if you nees a doctor after nicking your finger with a fishing hook than I pay for fishing in 5 years.

Plus the other obvious benefits we have like no Trump and also no Trump.

So I'd say I come out on top. ;-)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I pay my license fees happily every year because the department of fish & wildlife in my state is extremely kickass and I don't expect them to do the work that they do for free, and jerks who want to dump industrial waste into salmon rivers can suck the chili out of my rear end in a top hat.

Also extremely drinkable beer in Germany costs €1.80 per liter so yeah factor that in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Btw, you should all try Russian Fishing Simulator 4 on Steam, I am hooked. Its F2Play and you earn money for selling fish you caught to then buy more tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hopper posted:

Btw, you should all try Russian Fishing Simulator 4 on Steam, I am hooked. Its F2Play and you earn money for selling fish you caught to then buy more tackle.

"russian"?

What makes it Russian?