Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for an autism simulator, where like the game would be fun for anyone, but the characters in the game react like you're some kind of weirdo for liking the game, and the dialogue trees are unintuitive

Your posts would fit that bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Your posts would fit that bill

You think this is a loving game????

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for an autism simulator, where like the game would be fun for anyone, but the characters in the game react like you're some kind of weirdo for liking the game, and the dialogue trees are unintuitive

Drakengard, actually. Dynasty Warriors, but people are appropriately disgusted you're a mass murdering serial killer who gleefully enjoys fighting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's also not a fun game, but definitely interesting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

signalnoise posted:

Try LISA

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

Fallout 4
LA Noire
Mass Effect Andromeda

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fallout 1 and 2 with intelligence set to very low might provide a form of those dialog options. Ain't played 3 or later, so maybe they do too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Let's change the subject. You fasting for Yom Kippur, Mr. Kalou?

You're not denying you're a Jew, Mr. Kalou?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

doctorfrog posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 with intelligence set to very low might provide a form of those dialog options. Ain't played 3 or later, so maybe they do too.

Fallout 3 really doesn't do anything fun with dumb player characters, but New Vegas does.

Although most of the dialogue is retarded in Fallout 3, so maybe it still counts--heyooooooooo :smug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any elder scrolls game

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

ShakeZula posted:

I forgot to mention it, but I did play and enjoy Yakuza 6, so this is a possibility. How do they compare?

Yakuza 6 was the first game built on a brand new engine for the PS4, while Yakuza 0 was something like the 4th or 5th iteration on an engine for the PS3. As such, they are pretty different despite still being similar (due to both being mainline Yakuza games). All the core concepts are the same, I'd just say Yakuza 0 is a little more feature rich while being more limited technically. More mini games, two playable characters, combat is a bit deeper with multiple fighting styles for each character and more heat moves overall, you can carry weapons in your inventory and whip them out whenever instead of having to rely on what's in the area. On the minus side the graphics are a little less impressive and you have loading screens when entering buildings and finishing battles. The substories are just as good if not better than Yakuza 6's, though I guess that comes down to personal opinion.

In other words if you like Yakuza 6, definitely get 0. Then maybe Yakuza Kiwami. And Yakuza Kiwami 2 in August.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Worth noting, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are being ported to PC, in case someone's been thinking "man, that sounds extremely like my poo poo but I don't own a PS4."

It'd pobably be wise to hold off until we know if the port is any good, though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

my dude have you tried Going Outside In Real Life

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm a big fan of games that are a little out there and are more like experiences / art exhibits than something you have to win at. e.g. Journey, Everything, etc. What are some titles in that realm that I might also enjoy?

Neverending nightmares or Alan Wake

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey guys, I am looking for a couch co-op racing game on PC, using joypads. No strict preferences, in the past I liked the need for speed games (the ancient ones up to underground 2), motorstorm and burnout but I am willing to try almost anything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: I read good, none of these were raving games lmao.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Is there a game out that has a better version of the Assasins Creed 3 homesteading system? I really liked the whole set up of finding people as you played the main story to build up your home (which you saw the effects of), but in ac3 all it did was just make the numbers go higher. Similar to that was playing Mount and Blade with some mods that allowed you to get a castle and build/recruit more.

I guess I just want more stardew valley but less cheerful and with more violence/consequences?

god dammnit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUQfLJiuw4

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys, I am looking for a couch co-op racing game on PC, using joypads. No strict preferences, in the past I liked the need for speed games (the ancient ones up to underground 2), motorstorm and burnout but I am willing to try almost anything.

When you say couch co-op you mean duel I suppose? I enjoy Blur and Sonic Racing transformed the most as couch 1 to 1 racing games

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

doctorfrog posted:

Arcanum also does this, + there's a Savant character background that lets you play a high int character with the dialogue options of a low int character.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What are my options if I want something similar to X2/X3, but more accessible?

I've played the usual suspects -- Escape Velocity, Endless Sky, Rebel Galaxy, Space Rangers 2 -- but something I missed in all of those was delegation. You can hire wingmates, but X2/3 let you hire entire fleets you can send off to do your bidding, build new space stations, hire transport ships to do supply runs or even act as self-directed free traders with you bankrolling them and taking a cut of the profits, and so forth. It lets you work your way up from "fighter pilot" or "independent courier" to "owner of an interstellar transport and manufacturing conglomerate with a side of mercenaries". Fundamentally, I think, the difference is that X2/3 let you build something while the other games listed merely let you become unstoppably powerful and fantastically rich.

The problem is that the UI doesn't scale up with you; it starts out overly complicated and obtuse and deteriorates rapidly as the amount of stuff you're managing goes up. This seriously limits the amount of fun I can extract.

So, is there anything like that out there? Astrox: Hostile Space Excavation, Drifter, and Evochron Mercenary look like they have the same issues as Escape Velocity et al. Someone elsenet recommended Starpoint Gemini: Warlords, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, and it looks more like a Freelancer-meets-Risk sort of thing, not unlike Space Rangers. What am I missing? Is Egosoft the only developer making games like this?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I could use a cheerful game. Been playing WAY too many dark and serious games lately, and now I could use something lighter for a change, you know? Like a palate cleanser so to speak.

I usually prefer action/adventure type games but I've also been on something of an RPG binge. PC Preferred. Any and all recommendations are super welcome.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 2, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

khy posted:

I could use a cheerful game. Been playing WAY too many dark and serious games lately, and now I could use something lighter for a change, you know? Like a palate cleanser so to speak.

I usually prefer action/adventure type games but I've also been on something of an RPG binge. PC Preferred. Any and all recommendations are super welcome.

Stardew Valley is one of the most wholesome, sweet games I've ever played. It's a Harvest Moon-like, and is just the fuckin best. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check out Evoland 2. It's a genre mashup game (literally, like, there's overhead Zelda, 2D platformer, turn-based strategy, top-down shooter, street fighter segment, etc.) but the majority of gameplay is the Zelda view and it's more of an RPG than anything else. It's a pretty fun little romp, and while it has its serious moments it keeps things light most of the time.

For that matter, if you haven't played Ittle Dew or Ittle Dew 2, they're both worth checking out. The first is basically a big series of Zelda-style block puzzles (except actually good and requiring substantial thought), while the second is a lot more action-oriented. If the puzzles don't sound like your kind of thing, you won't be missing anything of importance plotwise if you skip the first. But it's short and IIRC the really tricky puzzles are reserved for people trying to skip nominally-required items. Both have really goofy writing.

Uhh...let's see. Sam & Max Season 3 is good. Classic adventure game, reasonably polished. I don't know that I'd call it cheerful necessarily, but it's pretty funny.

Yeah, that's all I got.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

Okami HD: it's like Zelda, except you are a magic dog whose spells make flowers grow and charm people into running up to give you pets

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ni No Kuni 2. Cheerful, colorful, and feelgood as hell.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Really Pants posted:

Okami HD: it's like Zelda, except you are a magic dog whose spells make flowers grow and charm people into running up to give you pets

Oh poo poo, I was just thinking about Okami the other day. I played it and beat Orochi but never completed the game beyond that part. If there's an HD version for PC I should get on that quick

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ToxicFrog posted:

I've played the usual suspects -- Escape Velocity, Endless Sky, Rebel Galaxy, Space Rangers 2 -- but something I missed in all of those was delegation. You can hire wingmates, but X2/3 let you hire entire fleets you can send off to do your bidding, build new space stations, hire transport ships to do supply runs or even act as self-directed free traders with you bankrolling them and taking a cut of the profits, and so forth. It lets you work your way up from "fighter pilot" or "independent courier" to "owner of an interstellar transport and manufacturing conglomerate with a side of mercenaries". Fundamentally, I think, the difference is that X2/3 let you build something while the other games listed merely let you become unstoppably powerful and fantastically rich.

The problem is that the UI doesn't scale up with you; it starts out overly complicated and obtuse and deteriorates rapidly as the amount of stuff you're managing goes up. This seriously limits the amount of fun I can extract.

So, is there anything like that out there? Astrox: Hostile Space Excavation, Drifter, and Evochron Mercenary look like they have the same issues as Escape Velocity et al. Someone elsenet recommended Starpoint Gemini: Warlords, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, and it looks more like a Freelancer-meets-Risk sort of thing, not unlike Space Rangers. What am I missing? Is Egosoft the only developer making games like this?

You might think I'm tricking you, but in terms of good delegation and building up an empire like that...

Euro Truck Simulator 2. For real. It's good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Brainamp posted:

Ni No Kuni 2. Cheerful, colorful, and feelgood as hell.

The game begins with New York City being annihilated by nuclear weapons.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

khy posted:

West of loathing

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Papers, please is a hilarious game.

Serious reply now: I haven't played them but I think the Divinity Original Sin games are quite light-hearted on top of being good RPG. Then you have the South park games which are OK RPGs. Otherwise if you like (non-action) adventure games, Tales of Borderlands and all the remasters of the LucasArts games are sure bets.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 2, 2018

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

khy posted:

Yoku's Island Express is an extremely chill & relaxing little pinball adventure. It's also gorgeous. I don't usually love pinball, but they keep it pretty easy.

I haven't finished Creepy Castle, but from what I've played it's an extremely charming little puzzle/adventure/rpg/warioware game with good writing and cute characters.

Lovely Planet doesn't have a story to speak of but is a very fun arcadey first-person shooter with very katamari-damacy-esque visuals and music.

Roundabout is just your usual spinning limo simulator, but it's pretty cheerful.

Rayman Legends is just an incredible game by any standard but also keeps it very light and easygoing. Sort of a donkey-kongish platformer.

Guacamelee is a metroidvania that trades the recently-popular "dark souls but 2d" style for more of a festival feel, and also trades all the guns and weapons for Wrasslin' moves!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This is more of a general recommend ation, but everyone should be aware that EDF 4.1 is on sale for $20 on Steam until the 5th.

It's an absolute blast to play in addition to being a goofy as hell pastiche of the old school Japanese giant moster/disaster movies. If you haven't played it yet, you really should correct that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The game begins with New York City being annihilated by nuclear weapons.

My game didn't start like that, just sayin'

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Serious reply now: I haven't played them but I think the Divinity Original Sin games are quite light-hearted on top of being good RPG.

They are, the first one in particular. Like, they have their share of grim topics and events, but the overall vibe is quite silly and quirky.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

khy posted:

If you're a South Park fan, either of the two recent games may be a fun diversion. The combat balance isn't the best but if you just want a laugh, and can handle gross humor, I imagine they're pretty cheap these days.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nordick posted:

They are, the first one in particular. Like, they have their share of grim topics and events, but the overall vibe is quite silly and quirky.

I wouldn't recommend Original Sin 2 for someone who wants to be light-hearted, it's brutal if you like animals at all. So many sad moments.

I wasted all my 'resurrect' potions trying to wake up that mama bear, I didn't care. But nothing works, you have to walk away leaving the helpless traumatized cub all alone. And there's that inconsolable dog that just lost it's master, that stuck with me.

No way, there's too much darkness that pops up randomly for those to be light-hearted.

e - not a bad game, just doesn't fit the request

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You might think I'm tricking you, but in terms of good delegation and building up an empire like that...

Euro Truck Simulator 2. For real. It's good.

Not enough space. :(

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

You could try Avorion, you can build a space empire or just build a big ol' dreadnaught fleet.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Not enough space. :(

American truck sim is like <2GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

khy posted:

Trails in the Sky or Ys