Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
A lot of people seem to consider banner 4 the worst fest banner or even an outright bad banner. Let’s see.

Two chains even if the other is Snow’s, two Teedus 6* relics and Squall’s absurd asb which is also an ice sword.

Looking at the 5* selection there’s two more ”6*” relics in teedus and squall bsb2s. Their LMRs are excellent and the glints great. Squall’s will see more use once usb2 is out(lmr+glint+usb2 with sss is murder).

Moving down Snow’s bsb1 is.. an ice armor and a lifesiphonable guts.

At the rock bottom we have Rikku’s meh bsb and the garbage LMR which is literally + 10 atk.

Seems good to me. I’d pull if I didn’t have half of the banner already.

E: I agree that it’s not the best ice banner of course since 75% of the banner is waterstuff

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Seems good to me. I’d pull if I didn’t have half of the banner already.

I think that's at least partly why the banner has a bad rep - a lot of people already have good set-ups for Squall and Tidus, which takes the shine off this one.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
My reasoning is that if you've been playing for a few months, we've had like two or three water banners including and since last Fest that have been chock full of Water (the same SBs even) and other than Squall ASB the Ice options aren't the best. If you're totally new, you can score Squall BSB2 from AAs or gem draws and you don't need element specific stuff yet. The only relevant newbie item here is Snow BSB but if you're pulling for that...

This is a last-ditch effort banner for someone who needs to kill Marilith right now.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 2, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I like the banner for new players because it has the hone free Squall BSB2 and the rest of his incredible kit alongside Teedus relics who is the best damage dealer in the game.

You can’t pick Squall BSB2 from AA and gems cost real money which not everyone is okay using on a free to play game. That bsb select costs 30 bucks which is the price of a few entire games from a steam sale. His kit is entirely repeats from last fest, that much is true.

Tidus ASB and GSB were released after last fest and usb has recurred very little.

But let’s leave it at that. Sometimes the dual element banners line up for you and sometimes they don’t.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The thing with Banner 4 is that the relics on it, outside of the arcanes and glints, have shown up over and over and over, to the point where it's dupe city.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

putting the water chain on a tidus+squall banner is both clever and vicious.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

ceaselessfuture posted:

Pretty sure it was temporary. I'm not sure when it ended, but if he didn't get it that's probably why.

I got the 100 mythril on a brand new account a few days ago as soon as I got out of the tutorial. It looks like that gift was sent out on May 30 though, and it's now been over a month since then.

Between the gift dungeons and the first realms, a new player can still pull on banner 4 and banner 5 and all the realms on parade before the end of fest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Two of Rikku's thingy. Well, could be worse. I do use her in Literally Every Fight.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Actually got somehing from the obs dream draw - Dorgan usb, this seems quite strong, plus it’s on a +earth sword. Got even less reason to draw on Tifa banner now, too.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm finally in the process of diving Shelke for the sake of end-game content. How do Entrust bots typically work and are there any particular things to keep in mind?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My most common setup is rw wall, then wrath - entrust - repeat, or wrath - wrath - entrust - wrath - entrust - repeat if I want someone started of right away. Run her with ace striker usually, but ocasionally with mako might.

It’s mainly about figuring out who you and when to entrust.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
That LMR select banner would be so much more tempting if I could pick up Seifer's enDark.

Kain's OSB is tempting since I picked up his USB. Is it as good a combo as it looks? I don't have his chain.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm pretty new and it feels like I have a lot of pieces for something but I'm not quite sure how they all fit together.

I pulled on the recent festival banner 4 and got Squall's AOSB, Glint and BSB2 (as well as Tidus' USB and Glint). Do I try building around water/ice when worrying about elements is a thing? Just to know ahead of time that I should aim for this type of banner.

My healing options are pretty slim too, and I made some poor choices before, so all I really have to work with is Porom and her USB. Is there anything there I should aim for getting?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Not an emptyquote.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Still working on tweaking my teams with the new stuff from fest, but my Marilis team sure is strong(er) now...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh hey that's right, ASBs are mono-elemental, not element+none

also ultima weapon has 90% resist all. squall hit him for 3k damage :flaccid:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
From my own personal experience :flaccid: sums up Squall nicely

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Colgate posted:

I'm pretty new and it feels like I have a lot of pieces for something but I'm not quite sure how they all fit together.

I pulled on the recent festival banner 4 and got Squall's AOSB, Glint and BSB2 (as well as Tidus' USB and Glint). Do I try building around water/ice when worrying about elements is a thing? Just to know ahead of time that I should aim for this type of banner.

My healing options are pretty slim too, and I made some poor choices before, so all I really have to work with is Porom and her USB. Is there anything there I should aim for getting?

For most high level fights you'll want a team based on one element and you want to bring 2-3 people of that element (usually but not always sticking to either physical or magical - hybrid teams are tougher to make work), 1 buffer/support, and 1 healer (and possibly 1 debuffer/utility slot). You definitely have one very good person each for ice and water but you'll partners for them eventually - getting a good spellblade USB like Bartz or Celes can help in that regards as spellblades can do solid damage in many elements. There IS a FFV event coming up near the end of July I think where you could try for Bartz stuff which you might want to save up to make a few pulls on. Don't feel pressured too hard to focus on these 2 elements though - even a single good DPS can be enough for a lot of fights, so if you want to try Banner 5 for Lightning/Earth stuffs feel free.

As for healing stuff, that's harder to plan specifically for since there's usually at best one healer with ~2 relics on any given banner and you want to aim for good instant cast USB's or strong BSB's - Porom USB isn't awful, it's just not amazing since one of it's benefits is Reraise which isn't a very good effect. Instant last stand is still great to have though and it should be usable for now. The only other healer USB's coming up soon are Selphie and Ovelia and they are both instant last stand also, so they would be small upgrades, and Lenna USB2 on the Bartz banner which is non-instant last stand + stoneskin, so probably worse than Porom's.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
There is a small chance we'll get the Golden Week Lucky Draws, one of which was a Healer Lucky. It wasn't exactly a fest in the sense there weren't Fest banners attached, but it might actually line up with Black Friday for Global. There's also the chance they'll be tied into the next proper fest or changed in some way.

Golden Week included:

• Free 33-pull with two guaranteed 6* relics
  • Dream Selection Gem Draws with USB, BSB and LMR options (USB list includes Godwall, Ellara USB, Aerith 2, Onion p/mUSBs)
  • 500 Gem Draw with OSB/BSB + Helaer BSB selection (Ace/Deuce pair is probably the best but lots of decent options)
  • Physical Lucky (Pecil, Locke, Cloud, Tidus, Squall)
  • Magical Lucky (Terra, Ashe, Shantotto, Rinoa)
  • Healer Lucky (A lot, but USBs for Aerith 2, Ovelia, Larsa, Rosa and Relm)

The main difference with these Lucky Draws is they were all fixed banners with 14 relics (5 USB/ASB/Chain, 5 BSB/Glint, 4 LMR), and also allowed for subsequent full price pulls. It's not really worth waiting this long for a good healer but if you din't happen to stumble upon one the Healer Lucky would be a really nice backup.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 2, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Sell all your salt stocks right now because they're going to crash in price when I start pulling for Garnet's chain.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tifa LMR and Staff of Ramuh are the only dupes, I have enough for 2 pulls and maybe another tomorrow, let's go

have her bsb, should be good

another Ashe thing, I think I have Aphmau's LMR, Maria BSB is solid magical earth. about as good a set of pulls as I could hope for without getting any 6* relics.

but man, I wanted some 6* relics. Tempted to pull again, even with 6 dupes

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

:getin:

Chasing more Ashe stuff is tempting, but also a lot of dupes, so probably won’t push my luck.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Tifa AOSB
Tifa USB2
Tifa Glint
Ashe LMR

:goofy:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
3/11: Ashe glint :goleft: Garnet BSB :goleft: Tifa USB :shittydog:

So for 200 mythril I’m walking away with a total of 2 LMRs (Seifer, Squall), 2 Glints (Cloud, Ashe), 1 BSB (Garnet), 1 AOSB (Cloud), and one hell of a USB triumvirate (Cloud, Aerith, Tifa), which is about 1500% of a better haul than I expected.

Bless this fest, always pull.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
i knew this fest was gonna be crap when I got three USBs in RoP that perform breaks, and when I pulled two of Metamorphosis Claws in banner 1, that were added to the banner and are stuff everyone and their mothers already have.

Yeah I got Rikku CSB in banner 4, but, man, I'm never gonna beat Tiamat.

Never pull. Ever.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

End of fest report:

Nothing too game changing on RoP, and luckies. Highlights were:
Gabranth OSB (+dark sword)
Ingus BSB (earth radiant shield)
Sephiroth USB
Shantotto Chain (already have Kain chain)

Banner 1 - 3/11:
Tyro USB/LMR
Elarra USB

Banner 3 - 1/11:
Cloud USB2

Banner 4 - 5/33:
Tidus AOSB
Rikku BSB x3
Rikku LMR

Banner 5 - 2/11:
Ashe USB
Garnet BSB (dupe)

Overall I am supper happy with this! I had considered doing multiple draws on any of those banners, but with the exception of banner 4 I got great things on my first draw!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Banner 5 was always the one I was looking the most forward to. I had 200 Mythril going into it, so let's see.

Pull 1: Ashe LMR, Ashe Glint... Tifa Arcane? Okay, sure, that works I guess. Would have been funny to have a full-suite pull.
Pull 2: Ashe LMR again, and then Ashe Ultra! Hell yeah, I've wanted this relic for forever. Goes great with her other tools! But there's one relic I really want from this banner.
Pull 3: Ashe Glint, all by itself. Ugh... should I really keep going?
Yes, yes I should.
Pull 4: Tifa LMR... TIFA ULTRA... AND GARNET CHAIN! WOOOHOOOOOOOO!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fucksticks. 2/11, dupe aphmau BSB and useless garnet lmr.

Godwall and ramza csb this fest, and gently caress all besides.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I picked up the Garnet chain and now my lightning team has the best magicite clear time out of all my groups, even better than my Tidus Chain + Yuffie USB2 + Bartz USB water team by nearly a second.

Ashe USB + Palom USB + Aphmau USB gets work done with a chain.

I'd like Tifa's USB or AOSB or Ashe's AOSB but I'm not sure I can justify chasing at this point. I'm down to 47 mythril.

I'm finding it really awkward building teams around the new chains without godwall. Having at least 3 dps to contribute to the chain while also getting defensive buffs, hastega, and healing isn't easy.

My dark team is based around using Edge SSB to provide hastega and last stand while everyone tries to stay alive with dread weapon. No room for healers.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 3, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I need holy damage badly. Hades is the only 4* magicite I can't sub-30. All the current and future banners suck for me. I really should have gone harder on Banner 1 :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This was the banner I was the least interested in (aside from 4 which I skipped) and only pulled cuz i didn't have too many dupes but...

...holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I also am not super excited about any of these characters but one pull for kicks: Garnet chain, Garnet BSB, Ashe LMR. Cool. I look forward to endless garbage when we hit stuff I actually want to make up for this luck.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Final festival haul (new relics only):

Enelement lucky: Bartz BSB3, Celes BSB1
USB lucky: Serah USB, Strago LMR
Free 8-pull: Minfilia USB, Josef BSB, Tellah BSB, Shantotto BSB

Banner 1: Orlandeau USB, Elarra USB, Elarra BSB
Banner 2: Locke USB1, Gilgamesh USB2, Terra LMR
Banner 3: Zack Chain, Noctis ASB, Aeris USB2, Aeris LMR
Banner 4: Tidus Glint, Rikku LMR
Banner 5: Garnet Chain, Ashe USB

650 mythril spent total. Kinda bummed that my only gen 2 chain was in an element I already had and I really wish I could have those last two pulls I made on banner 1 back, but otherwise I'm pretty drat happy with these results.

Now that I'm not really planning on pulling on anything for months except for maybe the next IX event and I still ended with almost 300 mythril left over, I'm kinda mulling going back and doing the RoP...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
This banner was the big ticket of the fest for me: my lightning and earth options aren't great, I like all the characters, and I only had one dupe (Garnet's BSB). Managed to get just enough mythril together for three pulls.

100 gems: Ashe's USB :toot:
1/11: Ashe's glint
1/11: Maria's BSB

At this point I had a very bad feeling about my last pull, but:

3/11: Ashe's LMR, Tifa's glint and Tifa's USB :toot:

Now I'm flat broke but happy. Didn't luck into any chains but overall this fest has been great, and having fun new toys has really got me back into the game.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
My pre-Fest was a joke and I only came out of it with Larsa USB, Cecil OSB, and Agrias OSB. Also included was some random BSBs that I was happy enough to get.

My actual fest pulls are what really turned it around for me:

Chains: Seifer, Zack, Garnet
USBs: TGC, Tyro, Aeris
ASB: Terra
Usable BSBs: Aphmau (got her LMR from RoP too!), Garnet 2, Vivi 2,
Glint: Noctis (Funny enough, one of my most wanted items of the fest!)
LMR: Garnet, Aeris

Still seems a pretty steep price for 450 myth, but I'm more than happy with the results. 75 myth per disco, including other relevant relics, is just fine with me. Got Terra's ASB on the dollar draw and it'll be a great stat stick for now.

All in all, very much a successful fest this time around! Can't wait to fish for Celes in three months.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Six pulls, no Garnet chain.

Everything else on the banner, including three Tifa Arcanes.

But no chain.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My notable fest haul is Ramza chain, Elarra bsb, Raines bsb, Kuja usb, Ysaye USB, Terra glint and OSB, Cloud USB2, BSB2, glint, Zack chain, Dorgan USB, Kelger USB, Ingus bsb2 plus some crap I don’t care to remember.

Biggest disappointment was rop and whiffing all the six stars on banner 2 and neither Aeris/Elarra usb... But very happy about finally having a kit to make Cloud shine at wind stuff, plus two new chains is awesome. 200 mytril left over, hope that will be enough to grab Vincent’s chain next month.

Should also look into finally making a dark mage team, and hone up some dark zones.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Got the two things I was hoping for: good Earth kit on +earth gear (Tifa USB, twice) and Garnet's CSB. Not even the dupes could get me down after that point.

I'd argue that was even worth my skipping the other 4 banners for because I'm bad at saving mythril. Total 6* fest haul, including RoP and lucky banners, was chains for WoL and Garnet along with USBs for Ysayle, Rikku, Garnet, Faris, Onion Knight, Lulu, Ace, Machina, Jecht, Lightning, and Tifa.

Sometimes the gacha giveth. (Mostly it taketh away, but sometimes you get really lucky.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is this the final banner? As a returning player (who might as well be a new player), should I dump what I have into it?