Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

underage at the vape shop posted:

The reports of apex gang are all lies and media hype to sell papers to racists if thats something they were worried about. Melbourne is incredibly safe.

Not exactly correct. I dunno if they are apex or not but I've sure as poo poo experienced, first hand a pack of 50+ sudos/their kids breaking poo poo and fighting (each other) on the street.
There is more of this that goes on than is actually reported on.

I had neighbors sell up and get the gently caress out after their kids (Rangas to be fair) were attacked multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

fist4jesus posted:

Not exactly correct. I dunno if they are apex or not but I've sure as poo poo experienced, first hand a pack of 50+ sudos/their kids breaking poo poo and fighting (each other) on the street.

I had neighbors sell up and get the gently caress out after their kids (Rangas to be fair) were attacked multiple times.

I've seen this with white people a lot too. Your thinly veiled racist bullshit anecdote isn't proof of anything.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 2, 2018

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:chloe:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Friendly Fire posted:

I've seen this with white people a lot too. Your thinly veiled racist bullshit anecdote isn't proof of anything.

Check mate I guess.

Personal experiences are bullshit anecdotes.
And anything in the media is fake news.
Guess it isn't a problem.

brb after I go tell the people 5 door from me that were home invasioned last year that they are racist too.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

Check mate I guess.

brb after I go tell the people 5 door from me that were home invasioned last year that they are racist too.

They are racist if they assume that all Sundanese people are going to be a problem / part of "apex gang"

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

fist4jesus posted:

gently caress off idiot

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Also, the apex gang was pretty made up by the right wing media in order to sell clicks over outrage to easily led idiots.

Even the cops came out and said they weren't a thing.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

fist4jesus posted:

Check mate I guess.

No, your anecdote is bullshit because you try to use it to prove a trend that has been roundly disproven by anyone who's actually looked into it. You don't even try to provide any proof to back it up.

Your anecdote is a racist dog whistle much like your home invasion poo poo. I also know several people who have had this happen to them, all by other white people. Does this mean white gangs are terrorising the suburbs?

tldr; gently caress off you racist piece of poo poo.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Kids fight and break stuff because they are literally incapable of understanding their actions. Parents letting their kids outside says more about the neighbourhood safety than the fact that literal children had a fight.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

NPR Journalizard posted:

Also, the apex gang was pretty made up by the right wing media in order to sell clicks over outrage to easily led idiots.

Even the cops came out and said they weren't a thing.

I never said apex were a thing, and I personally don't believe it. They aren't some super organised group.
Its mostly kids/young adults egging each other on and escalating because they can get away with it.

I honestly think that in 10-20 years it'll settle down.
Going to shut up now though, I could list a bunch of little stories of things I've seen and been told in my local community, to justify why I feel there is a problem.
They don't "prove" anything though and the word "racist" basically ends any conversation.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Say it with me now

The plural of anecdote is not data.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The fucken sudos are taking over the streets but the word "racism" shuts down any conversation

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Welcome to Melbourne!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's no real "bad side" to Melbourne is there, besides north I guess? Like in my home town the further southeast you get the worse it is, but it seems a little less simplistic there. Geography also plays a huge role in what's nice here, i.e. being near mountains and/or beaches, but Melbourne beach areas aren't necessarily nice, and there's no tangible separation between neighbourhoods?

Currently living in an airbnb just counting down the days until I can move...

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There's no real "bad side" to Melbourne is there, besides north I guess? Like in my home town the further southeast you get the worse it is, but it seems a little less simplistic there. Geography also plays a huge role in what's nice here, i.e. being near mountains and/or beaches, but Melbourne beach areas aren't necessarily nice, and there's no tangible separation between neighbourhoods?

Currently living in an airbnb just counting down the days until I can move...

na not rly just a never ending labyrinth of suburbs and train lines

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We're traveling to Australia from Seattle soon, is weed legal in Australia yet? Google's not super clear to me, it looks like maybe medical marijuana is legal?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chainclaw posted:

We're traveling to Australia from Seattle soon, is weed legal in Australia yet? Google's not super clear to me, it looks like maybe medical marijuana is legal?

Nope.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chainclaw posted:

haha hell no

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Chainclaw posted:

medical marijuana is in some states but its hard as poo poo to get from what I hear. Still, weeds everywhere you just can't smoke it in public.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

queef anxiety posted:

medical marijuana is in some states but its hard as poo poo to get from what I hear. Still, weeds everywhere you just can't smoke it in public.

I drove through Nimbin and managed to score some decent weed from a shady group of people in a public park. Was good fun, and only slightly sketchy.

Was enough for my wife and I for the rest of our vacation.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Sort of decriminalised in Canberra.

inquis eisenhorn
Sep 11, 2001
So im told that you can make good money on working holiday if you haul rear end out to the desert towns around mining areas and just work in pubs all day long. Is this accurate? I know it would be a little grindy but I'm about to finish college with a low amount of debt I'd like to kill off quickly and I'm a desert rat since birth so if the place has a big sky in the day and stars at night I end up kinda just zenning out in whatever I do day to day. Fuckin east coast U.S. offers little in that regard.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

inquis eisenhorn posted:

So im told that you can make good money on working holiday if you haul rear end out to the desert towns around mining areas and just work in pubs all day long. Is this accurate? I know it would be a little grindy but I'm about to finish college with a low amount of debt I'd like to kill off quickly and I'm a desert rat since birth so if the place has a big sky in the day and stars at night I end up kinda just zenning out in whatever I do day to day. Fuckin east coast U.S. offers little in that regard.

Compared to the us, you will be rolling in it yeah. You will be on 24ish aud an hour minimum wage before tax, and foreigners have the same workers rights AFAIK so don't let anyone pay you a dime less. The problem is that you are going to be in the Australian desert, theres like nothing to do. You gotta remember that Australia is like 80% as big as the USA, but we have 23 million people versus your 320 million, and all the toruisty things in Australia are going to be far far away. Wouldn't surprise me if those jobs are very hard to get because you're also competing with all the kids who live in the town. Last i heard, accomodation in mining towns is ridiculously expensive, because of limited supply and the owners knowing how ludicrous miner pay can be. What most people like you do is pick fruit, for instance if you stay in coffs harbour you can pick bananas and volunteer at a hostel in exchange for free/reduced stay. The volunteering will be things like running a pub crawl or taking some people down to the beach, or driving the tour van. Stuff like that, easy jobs where you'll meet a tonne of fun new people

You definitely need an rsa to serve alcohol in Queensland and NSW, I'm not sure about the other states. Most bars have pokies too, so you'll need an rsg. Both can be done online pretty cheap but they don't transfer across states.

E: For example

Mount Isa is one of the bigger mining cities, I live between the gold coast and brisbane. Those grey dotted lines are state lines, Australia is loving huge. I'd strongly recomend you work closer to the coast, where the vast majority of the population is, save your money, and hire/buy a car to drive to the sites you want to see. What do you want to see and do while you are here?

E: again, here's that same route in satelite view

the desert and the classic red outback is a gently caress off long way from where people actually live. Like, the fastest way for me to get to uluru is to go to the outskirts of adelaide and back up, a 34 hour trip (or you could fly). But to get to where most australians would consider the outback, you only need to go a few hours outside of any major city really. If you like the heat, everywhere will be hot, just pick how humid you like it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 19, 2018

inquis eisenhorn
Sep 11, 2001

Compared to the us, you will be rolling in it yeah. You will be on 24ish aud an hour minimum wage before tax, and foreigners have the same workers rights AFAIK so don't let anyone pay you a dime less. The problem is that you are going to be in the Australian desert, theres like nothing to do. You gotta remember that Australia is like 80% as big as the USA, but we have 23 million people versus your 320 million, and all the toruisty things in Australia are going to be far far away. Wouldn't surprise me if those jobs are very hard to get because you're also competing with all the kids who live in the town. Last i heard, accomodation in mining towns is ridiculously expensive, because of limited supply and the owners knowing how ludicrous miner pay can be. What most people like you do is pick fruit, for instance if you stay in coffs harbour you can pick bananas and volunteer at a hostel in exchange for free/reduced stay. The volunteering will be things like running a pub crawl or taking some people down to the beach, or driving the tour van. Stuff like that, easy jobs where you'll meet a tonne of fun new people

You definitely need an rsa to serve alcohol in Queensland and NSW, I'm not sure about the other states. Most bars have pokies too, so you'll need an rsg. Both can be done online pretty cheap but they don't transfer across states.

Mount Isa is one of the bigger mining cities, I live between the gold coast and brisbane. Those grey dotted lines are state lines, Australia is loving huge. I'd strongly recomend you work closer to the coast, where the vast majority of the population is, save your money, and hire/buy a car to drive to the sites you want to see. What do you want to see and do while you are here?

the desert and the classic red outback is a gently caress off long way from where people actually live. Like, the fastest way for me to get to uluru is to go to the outskirts of adelaide and back up, a 34 hour trip (or you could fly). But to get to where most australians would consider the outback, you only need to go a few hours outside of any major city really. If you like the heat, everywhere will be hot, just pick how humid you like it.

The suggestion of working on a more coastal city makes a lot of sense. I had a friend recommend Darwin as a good balance of work availability and cost of living. As for what I would want to see in Aus, I actually have put little thought into it. Like I said I'm big on anything desert, and would probably follow my friends gf who is studying conservation/reptile stuff around.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

inquis eisenhorn posted:

So im told that you can make good money on working holiday if you haul rear end out to the desert towns around mining areas and just work in pubs all day long. Is this accurate?

Don't they usually prefer women for those jobs?

Also, as a working holiday visa holder, you are now taxed 15% from the first dollar (no tax free threshhold) and they take 65% of your superanuation when you cash it in on your way out. So in additioned to the aforementioned cost of living, may not be as lucrative as you think.

IDK what visa laws are like in the Middle East but maybe see if you can get a job teaching English there. Or maybe somewhere in Western China, dunno.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

inquis eisenhorn posted:

The suggestion of working on a more coastal city makes a lot of sense. I had a friend recommend Darwin as a good balance of work availability and cost of living. As for what I would want to see in Aus, I actually have put little thought into it. Like I said I'm big on anything desert, and would probably follow my friends gf who is studying conservation/reptile stuff around.

If your friends gf is studying reptiles or conservation out of Darwin and you get to tag along, I'm insanely jealous, there's a lot of interesting wildlife up there. Is she studying crocodiles? You've got Kakadu right there, a national park the size of Slovenia (as in the country). I don't know much about the city itself but I can't imagine it'll be too hard for you to find work in the city. Just prepare for the humidity.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 20, 2018

inquis eisenhorn
Sep 11, 2001

If your friends gf is studying reptiles or conservation out of Darwin and you get to tag along, I'm insanely jealous, there's a lot of interesting wildlife up there. Is she studying crocodiles? You've got Kakadu right there, a national park the size of Slovenia (as in the country). I don't know much about the city itself but I can't imagine it'll be too hard for you to find work in the city. Just prepare for the humidity.

Thats the basic jist of it. Where I am not certain is if she is in darwin proper herself and what exactly she is studying regarding herp/conservation, but they met at a herpetology conference and they are both very outdoorsy. The bf is currently doing a masters in something conservation related in West Virginia which is great because I visit him often and most of the places he goes herping are places I can bring a gun and shoot at stuff from time to time. My main concerns are finding cheap accommodations (is there any means by which to find roomates/get into a shared lodging to reduce costs) and what the most economical forms of transportation are for when I do choose to get out and see far off parts of the continent.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

inquis eisenhorn posted:

Are you a woman? Because i've heard that the punters at these pubs are less than respectful to woman, particularly young female backpackers.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/22/i-was-crying-and-i-was-angry-hotel-coolgardies-shocking-portrait-of-sexism-in-the-outback

Alternatively, if it doesn't bother you, the less you wear the more money you can make.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 21, 2018

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

inquis eisenhorn posted:

True, but bar work is probably the least amount of money you'd earn going out to mining areas. Get in touch with a mining company support recruiter and snag yourself a FIFO (fly in/fly out) cleaning job. You'll do 2-3 weeks up there with all flights, accommodation and food provided, then 1 week off to do whatever you like back in the city. Starting salary: $80K + benefits.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ok the Melbourne move is getting real, looking at airbnbs for mid February for our first three months while we get set up. Found one on Jeffcoat st and King st. Looks a bit industrial to the west but crime and that poo poo is ok I hope? More worried about that for my wife than me since I've lived in lots of sketchy places. Basically a block from the CBD should be nice? Yeah nah or nah yeah, my fellow Aussies?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Ok the Melbourne move is getting real, looking at airbnbs for mid February for our first three months while we get set up. Found one on Jeffcoat st and King st. Looks a bit industrial to the west but crime and that poo poo is ok I hope? More worried about that for my wife than me since I've lived in lots of sketchy places. Basically a block from the CBD should be nice? Yeah nah or nah yeah, my fellow Aussies?

You'll be right in the thick of it that's for sure. It's very close to Southern Cross station and King Street is a busy city artery during the day and full of seedy bars, clubs and strip clubs at night. Don't worry about the Docklands you'll never be heading that direction anyway. As for crime, Melbourne is pretty safe but it is still a city of 5 million people. I'd say it would be great if you're solo and want to get stuck in but if you have a wife/family it might be a bit much. Saying that my gran stayed at some poo poo hole hotel she booked herself on King St and she loved it. Found her hanging out with a bunch of drag queens in a bar after dark.

If I were you I'd try and get something in Prahan or St Kilda or Fitzroy/Brunswick. Might be a more gentle way to get your bearings and they have a lot more character and substance than the CBD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I went to Docklands once.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

queef anxiety posted:

You'll be right in the thick of it that's for sure. It's very close to Southern Cross station and King Street is a busy city artery during the day and full of seedy bars, clubs and strip clubs at night. Don't worry about the Docklands you'll never be heading that direction anyway. As for crime, Melbourne is pretty safe but it is still a city of 5 million people. I'd say it would be great if you're solo and want to get stuck in but if you have a wife/family it might be a bit much. Saying that my gran stayed at some poo poo hole hotel she booked herself on King St and she loved it. Found her hanging out with a bunch of drag queens in a bar after dark.

If I were you I'd try and get something in Prahan or St Kilda or Fitzroy/Brunswick. Might be a more gentle way to get your bearings and they have a lot more character and substance than the CBD.

Thanks, we ended up going with a place in South Yarra at the north end of Chapel St. Looks like a much nicer area, more in line where my wife is from in Vancouver (Kitsilano if anyone is familiar).

We'll be there for 4.5 months looking for jobs before probably having to move into a sharehouse on the west side with a bunch of Somalis. Can't wait!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Thanks, we ended up going with a place in South Yarra at the north end of Chapel St. Looks like a much nicer area, more in line where my wife is from in Vancouver (Kitsilano if anyone is familiar).

We'll be there for 4.5 months looking for jobs before probably having to move into a sharehouse on the west side with a bunch of Somalis. Can't wait!

It's one of the most popular spots in Melbourne for a reason so you picked well. You'll also find it useful in being able to easily get to a bunch of other parts of Melbourne and figure out what kind of neighbourhood you prefer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fists Up posted:

It's one of the most popular spots in Melbourne for a reason so you picked well. You'll also find it useful in being able to easily get to a bunch of other parts of Melbourne and figure out what kind of neighbourhood you prefer.

Yeah looks super nice, especially with all the Victorian architecture. Vancouver missed out on that era and instead built lovely wild west style wood cabins that burned down or rotted away decades ago.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Ah if you guys are from Van than yea you'll fit right in.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is this where to ask about New Zealand?

I kid, I kid....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gatts posted:

I kid, I kid....

:getout:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gatts posted:

I kid, I kid....

We have our own thread. Come to Pub Quiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

cptn_dr posted:

We have our own thread. Come to Pub Quiz.

Where is Pub Quiz? I'm a dumbass.