Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

dogstile posted:

You guys should dream more

Stag door spoiler:

lore level 6

Again, I'm dreaming a lot, but I can't get consistent lore drops. I dream about the White Door a bunch and randomly get new lore, but it's inconsistent as hell. Is this part of the grind that I have to do to make it through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Again, I'm dreaming a lot, but I can't get consistent lore drops. I dream about the White Door a bunch and randomly get new lore, but it's inconsistent as hell. Is this part of the grind that I have to do to make it through?

When you start dreaming about the White Door, click on the new card slot that appears, and read its description.

Edit: sorry, this is more an answer to OscarDiggs, I thought you mean't you're having trouble starting the dream progression.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Oldstench posted:

Dreaming is not directly the way to get new Lore. I assume you're getting Secret History scraps out of the White Door? Wait for all your verbs to be available, and then pick one of those up and wave it around to see all the things you can do with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oldstench posted:

If you don't have what I posted in my spoiler, you need to study secret history's (occult scraps, etc) and do expeditions, which can give you more lore.

You can also subvert lore, there's a guide on reddit somewhere.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The stag door's riddle changes with each new game. I believe clicking on the riddle's card reveals the actual riddle. If you've been paying attention to the scraps of lore you've picked up from clicking and reading things, it should give you some idea of what it wants.

Since passing the Stag Door makes you a Know, it stands to reason that the answer to the riddle is some kind of knowledge of a sufficiently hidden and occult nature.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dogstile posted:

If you don't have what I posted in my spoiler, you need to study secret history's (occult scraps, etc) and do expeditions, which can give you more lore.

Or you can look at the second slot when you're trying to study lore and see what it will take. Study doesn't have startup, you can freely boot things in and out before you push the button.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

dogstile posted:

Lantern eats Moth
Moth eats Grail
Grail eats Heart
Heart eats Winter
Winter eats Edge
Edge eats Forge
Forge eats Lantern

Knock eats anything, nothing can eat knock.
Nobody cares about secret histories

minema
May 31, 2011

The Bramble posted:

The stag door's riddle changes with each new game. I believe clicking on the riddle's card reveals the actual riddle. If you've been paying attention to the scraps of lore you've picked up from clicking and reading things, it should give you some idea of what it wants.

Since passing the Stag Door makes you a Know, it stands to reason that the answer to the riddle is some kind of knowledge of a sufficiently hidden and occult nature.

I just tried all the different lore types until it told me I passed. I didn't have to wait for the timer or anything, you can freely move them in and out as fast as you want.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
So two questions about mechanics:

1) What determines whether or not something can be pulled out of another action? Like Notoriety being pulled into the Hunter action even though it is in use elsewhere. Or like if you're trying to get rid of evidence it gets pulled out of the Talk action even though you're trying to get rid of it.

2) What's the order stuff gets pulled into actions? If you have multiple Notoriety, how does the game pick which to pull in?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

1) What determines whether or not something can be pulled out of another action? Like Notoriety being pulled into the Hunter action even though it is in use elsewhere. Or like if you're trying to get rid of evidence it gets pulled out of the Talk action even though you're trying to get rid of it.

Magnet slots (like an Investigation), can only pull from non-magnet slots, like paintings or dreams. They can't pull from other magnet slots, those cards are fully locked in.

OGS-Remix posted:

2) What's the order stuff gets pulled into actions? If you have multiple Notoriety, how does the game pick which to pull in?

IIRC it's entirely random

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I expected the penalties for losing control of a summon to be more serious, but it never seems to do anything permanent. Have I just not lost control of a big enough summon to see real consequences, or are the only consequences just tying up one of your attributes or followers for a bit?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Are you all doing expeditions? That's really important to getting more lore.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

I expected the penalties for losing control of a summon to be more serious, but it never seems to do anything permanent. Have I just not lost control of a big enough summon to see real consequences, or are the only consequences just tying up one of your attributes or followers for a bit?

They can murder or drive people mad. Curses work the same way, where sometimes they'll just hold a stat for like 10 seconds, and sometimes they'll just destroy it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There are two bugs with rogue summons. First, the summon uses aspects to kill someone or drive them mad the way it would in any other scenario. Problem being, a rogue summon isn't actually the thing itself, so none of them have Edge scores or whatever when they're trying to eat people. But the way the verbs work, any Edge (or any other aspect) that gets into an action counts for whatever that action wants Edge for, no matter where it comes from.

Which means that a summon can eat your guys... but the victim has to supply the Edge themselves.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe I've just been lucky then. Cool!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Our last expedition turned up an... oddity. The maker could only have been of the Know, so why then did they not simply pluck a nine-sided shape from the Mansus-dream for their work? Unless... unless the last face is meant to represent Nothing.

It bears the Grail far more often than one finds comforting.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 2, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That's neat!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, after like 30 hours of gameplay, while I was well on my way to a Forge/Power victory, I found a Rite I never found before. "Rite Incursus" or something like that? Looked like a screaming face with a blindfold. It required me to sacrifice something from every category. Influence, tool, ingredient, follower (I used my powerful Forge demon), *and* knowledge. drat. Worth it to stack up my Forge lore way past 36 for the victory though.

Anybody know what that possible achievement nobody's gotten yet does?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Speedball posted:

Wow, after like 30 hours of gameplay, while I was well on my way to a Forge/Power victory, I found a Rite I never found before. "Rite Incursus" or something like that? Looked like a screaming face with a blindfold. It required me to sacrifice something from every category. Influence, tool, ingredient, follower (I used my powerful Forge demon), *and* knowledge. drat. Worth it to stack up my Forge lore way past 36 for the victory though.

Anybody know what that possible achievement nobody's gotten yet does?

Intercalate, and yeah, I won my Forge victory the same way. In my current run I'm almost up to 36 Lantern (could plug away at Peacock for an Influence, I guess) but I want to see what all the Expeditions and summons are for myself.

The achievement is probably tied to the mystery thing they talked about earlier and hasn't been enabled yet. Looking forward to whatever new content they put out.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
The achievement is probably just a marker that says, "Hey, we're not officially Early Access anymore, but the game isn't finished yet so check back later." When it's enabled it's almost certainly going to be granted for the victory condition related to the tagline, "Bring the Dawn," which shows up on the start screen, buried within the store page, and is hinted at within the books and dreams of the game.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I figured out the Mansus and I have to say, it really opened the game up.

Also, I had a lot of luck with Glimmering and Mystique and am currently making a killing off of painting. Unfortunately I now have about 8 minutes of Mystique on the board, so the moment I get a bit of Noteriety I'm sunk. What can I do to deal with Noteriety in the early stages of the game?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

OscarDiggs posted:

Also, I had a lot of luck with Glimmering and Mystique and am currently making a killing off of painting. Unfortunately I now have about 8 minutes of Mystique on the board, so the moment I get a bit of Noteriety I'm sunk. What can I do to deal with Noteriety in the early stages of the game?

You can't really that I'm aware of. You can deal with the resulting evidence or investigator with high enough Moth or Edge respectively. At the early stages you'll just have to have your followers pounding the pavement until they find the right hireling.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
How do you do, fellow Longs? Just got my first 'real' victory with a Sensation ascnesion. It took a bit of scummery at the end because I lost my sixth mark like 5 seconds before I found the Grail influence I needed (when I had another prisoner almost on the way), and I didn't really feel like another bajillion trips through the Peacock door to find it again, so I painted it it until my Ambition came up again, but I don't regret it at all. I think I'm probably going to wait for a major update before I make another go at it, unless the other ascensions are really different.

Is there anything I can read to look into the whole bird/worm thing? I know that's mostly going on in a private discord, but I'd love to get up to speed on it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

If you have a Heart-element cultist, put them to Cult Work. Their job will be to absorb Mystique and Notoriety from the board, cleaning up your reputation.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

How do you do, fellow Longs? Just got my first 'real' victory with a Sensation ascnesion. It took a bit of scummery at the end because I lost my sixth mark like 5 seconds before I found the Grail influence I needed (when I had another prisoner almost on the way), and I didn't really feel like another bajillion trips through the Peacock door to find it again, so I painted it it until my Ambition came up again, but I don't regret it at all. I think I'm probably going to wait for a major update before I make another go at it, unless the other ascensions are really different.

Is there anything I can read to look into the whole bird/worm thing? I know that's mostly going on in a private discord, but I'd love to get up to speed on it.

I have spent the last 2 hours going through Morlands, buying up all the books, and writing down the information and descriptions they have in various stages. (God knows why). I've found Worms get mentioned specifically capitalised a few times but nothing on Birds. If you like I'll make a google doc.

EDIT: Also, wheres this Discord located?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

The Worms are, as much as i can tell, traditional cthuloid horrors from beyond understanding. Creatures of the Nothing that hunger and infest, and a main purpose of the Hours is to oppose them.

The birds, some of the Hours have aspects (not Names, alternate bodies) that are... well, birds. The Beachcomber, i think is the Witch-and-Sister, and the Ivory Dove the Meniscate. There's another one or two i don't recall offhand, but a few of the books in the harder languages speak specifically about them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
MERCY SAITH THE WATCHMAN IS FOUND ONLY IN HAVING FINALLY BEAT THIS loving GAME.

god, what a ride. i absolutely cannot recommend this game to anyone but i also cannot stop thinking about it. every time i try to explain it to someone, i end up sounding like a lunatic and that's such a brilliant piece of design.

i agree that it is ultimately a puzzlebox, i'm of two minds as to whether or not i want to replay it again.

i used some googling at times and i don't particularly regret that. most of what i was missing was just right idea in the wrong way, or how to accomplish basic tasks at the start. there are a few things that just don't make sense to me. like, after summoning King Crucible I have to use Study instead of Talk to learn Deep Mandaic? And then I get a bowl five minutes later that accomplishes the same drat thing. I ended up using rites only twice? I'm not particularly sure what they accomplish. Summonings aren't really needed for stat values if you have a developed cult. Potentially I can see them being awesome early game, but you're probably not going to have them early game. it's unfortunate that some puzzles are just solved by tedious trial and error, the brute force approach feels somewhat intentional in that's how you have to get started. by the time the more elegant stuff started appearing, i was just hammering away at different choices instead of really thinking on the text. i guess that's probably a personal problem to an extent.

and yeah, gently caress the ui. i only realized i could drag groupings by selecting the number about twenty minutes ago, on accident. having to manually reassign physician constantly instead of it just being able to auto-run was so annoying. I know it's a plate-spinning simulator but come on.

Oh, and I think physician is just the best character? it's just incredibly straightforward and i absolutely never had to worry about money. I don't think I fell below 7 funds even in the back half of the game, where I was running back to back expeditions. Big shoutout to the random tome that gave me max Lantern lore.

I was there was a physical guidebook for this game just chock full of lore.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I decided to see if I had actually solved cultist simulator like I thought I had on my ascension run, and ascended to forge in one try, so yes I have.

There's almost no RNG in the game except for how long it takes to get your kit together (which is a lot but), the lose conditions are basically entirely solvable so you just have to go get your pieces and win.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Having progressed a tiny bit, you're not going to get anywhere without the Discord, unless you know a little about Fallen London. Have you checked your save file recently? If not, make a new game and look it over. Your looking for something off, but with a full game there'll be a ton of nonsense in the way.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 1, 2018

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

like, after summoning King Crucible I have to use Study instead of Talk to learn Deep Mandaic?

It follows the same logic as learning a language from one of your human patrons, but i agree that it's easy to get locked in on 'languages come from books' and miss the tag that says 'this person has valuable knowledge they can teach me'.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I definitely had no idea you could learn languages from Patrons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clicking on the empty slot will reveal all cards that can be used in those slots. Use it all the time! :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OscarDiggs posted:

If you're only getting Notoriety one at a time, just grab it in your mouse cursor when the investigator is looking for something. They'll be sure to grab a Mystique instead, while the Noto timer runs down.

This only works if you have enough Mystique to cover for yourself, of course.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can easily get four notoriety and paint with only those four indefinitely and never have to worry about detectives loving you over as long as they're in use

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Verviticus posted:

you can easily get four notoriety and paint with only those four indefinitely and never have to worry about detectives loving you over as long as they're in use

It leads to the Detectives Never Ever gently caress Off chore, due to the infinite mystique feeding them forever, so you can never actually use Work for anything OTHER than painting.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah. i guess in my games i tend to just work until im super wealthy and never deal with that poo poo again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's the other option.

Throw the notoriety at them. THEN stab them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Languages from patrons is a little under developed. Maybe if the language books were removed it would be better but my first move is always to exhaust the book shop and the auction house and both have the language books all three patrons teach so it’s kind of useless.

Maybe if instead learning a language cost more or you could pay patrons to translate for you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the run. On one I couldnt get aramaic before I exhausted both the auction house and Morlands, so a tutor was my only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The various decks should probably be more spread out and randomised.