Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PetraCore posted:

Okay, thanks! I'd assumed bad enough damage to your gut would result in starving as the ability to absorb got disrupted, but I hadn't considered the bacterial angle. The gastrointestinal system can be pretty delicate...

Yeah if you were somehow able to stave off the infection I assume you wouldn't really be eating solid foods for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah if you were somehow able to stave off the infection I assume you wouldn't really be eating solid foods for the rest of your life.
Yeah, but at least IV nutrition exists. it sounds like the infection is going to start as soon as stuff starts sloughing off and the intestinal system is long enough and delicate enough there's not really a way to get in there and prevent that. :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I wonder what would happen if you were to fall into that. I want to see how fast radiation can mutate somebody.

Water's a really good radiation shield. It's pretty dense so it's good for gamma shielding and it's got a lot of hydrogen in it so it's good for neutrons as well.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

PetraCore posted:

Oh. I'm still just an undergraduate in biology and we didn't have any classes on radiation damage so I've mostly just heard about it in the mutating DNA and why that's very bad if it's happening a lot way, and the cancer stuff.

So the stem cell death is a delayed cause of death because it only shows up once your old cells have depleted and need to be replaced, right? And depending on what got hit that's going to have different effects? I can see why the bone marrow would be a very bad spot to get dosed, considering all the cell production that still happens in there. Is there a lot of cell differentiation in the gut? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm genuinely interested.

The chief method by which radiation fucks you up is fundamentally chemical. It's possible for a particle of ionizing radiation to directly impact a DNA molecule and damage it, but it's unlikely. What's far more likely is for that particle to smack into something else in the cell, like a water molecule, and generate a reactive oxygen species, which then goes on to react in a chemical cascade that can break up additional molecules while everything tries to get back to a neutral charge. This can result in breaking or cross-linking DNA. And for some reasons, cells that are currently undergoing mitosis are far more vulnerable to that sort of oxidative stress. The end result if you're lucky is a cell that's fatally damaged and successfully triggers apoptosis, or if you're unlikely winds up as the root cause of a malignant tumor. So cells that rapidly divide as part of their normal lifecycle (like the stem cells in your marrow, the endometrial cells in your GI tract, your skin cells, etc.) are far more susceptible to damage and oncogenesis than cells like muscle or nerve cells.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d0839f8a-a064-4d1e-ada2-0f69680da4e9

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 2, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

That's disappointing. I was hoping acute exposure to extreme amounts would result in somebody exploding or some poo poo.

Anatoli Bugorski posted:

As a researcher at the Institute for High Energy Physics in Protvino, Bugorski worked with the largest Soviet particle accelerator, the U-70 synchrotron. On 13 July 1978, Bugorski was checking a malfunctioning piece of equipment when the safety mechanisms failed. Bugorski was leaning over the equipment when he stuck his head in the path of the 76 GeV proton beam. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns" but did not feel any pain.

The left half of Bugorski's face swelled up beyond recognition and, over the next several days, started peeling off, revealing the path that the proton beam (moving near the speed of light) had burned through parts of his face, his bone and the brain tissue underneath. As it was believed that he had received far in excess of a fatal dose of radiation, Bugorski was taken to a clinic in Moscow where the doctors could observe his expected demise. However, Bugorski survived and even completed his Ph.D. There was virtually no damage to his intellectual capacity, but the fatigue of mental work increased markedly. Bugorski completely lost hearing in the left ear, save a moderate case of tinnitus. The left half of his face was paralyzed due to the destruction of nerves. He was able to function well, except for the fact that he had occasional complex partial seizures and rare tonic-clonic seizures.

Bugorski continued to work in science and held the post of coordinator of physics experiments. Because of the Soviet Union's policy of maintaining secrecy on nuclear power-related issues, Bugorski did not speak about the accident for over a decade. He continued going to the Moscow radiation clinic twice a year for examinations and to meet with other nuclear-accident victims. He was described as "a poster boy for Soviet and Russian radiation medicine". In 1996, he applied unsuccessfully for disabled status to receive free epilepsy medication. Bugorski showed interest in making himself available for study to Western researchers but could not afford to leave Protvino.

Bugorski is married to Vera Nikolaevna, and they have a son, Peter.

A lot of places say that side of his face never aged, but it might have just never got wrinkled up because all the nerves were obliterated and so there wasn't really a lot of flex action.

you can't really tell because every pic i found has 98% artifacts and 1% image. The remainder I assume are loose protons but imo it does look like his left side looks a little younger. Prob just permanent botox. This guy got screwed over. If you take a hadron to the face or some poo poo you should be taken care of for chrissake

fuckin beat but I had pics

Asproigerosis posted:

Theoretically, you can be exposed to so much high powered ionizing radiation that you are vaporized by the energy blowing apart the atoms of your body, but that's a cosmic scale type of event. You could get blasted hard enough to immediately enter shock and die I guess, but you'd probably need some favorable comorbidities to have that happen.

Initially they were hoping to see if some fancy new stuff like them stem cells would be a silver bullet for radiation exposure, but it should have been ended way before 3 months.

I guess if you got beamed in the brainstem you'd potentally be pretty hosed pretty instantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, but at least IV nutrition exists. it sounds like the infection is going to start as soon as stuff starts sloughing off and the intestinal system is long enough and delicate enough there's not really a way to get in there and prevent that. :(

I guess you could chug a gallon of antibiotics to try and kill it all before you lose your intestinal lining.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

There are doses of radiation that will kill you pretty much instantly -- thousands of Grays and up -- but they are levels that you're only likely to see from a nuclear bomb and they amount to just being hit with so much energy that you're barbecued alive.

I recall reading in a book awhile back that supposedly immediately after Reactor 4 exploded a couple of engineers and technicians ran to the ruins of the reactor core to see what happened and search for the coworkers, and were absolutely fried from the radiation. They immediately felt weak, sat down in one of the stairwells nearby to rest, and never got back up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jabor posted:

I guess you could chug a gallon of antibiotics to try and kill it all before you lose your intestinal lining.
Then you'd just get a ton of antibiotics into your bloodstream. I... don't think that's great?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A lot of places say that side of his face never aged, but it might have just never got wrinkled up because all the nerves were obliterated and so there wasn't really a lot of flex action.

you can't really tell because every pic i found has 98% artifacts and 1% image. The remainder I assume are loose protons but imo it does look like his left side looks a little younger. Prob just permanent botox. This guy got screwed over. If you take a hadron to the face or some poo poo you should be taken care of for chrissake

Good to know we can end our investigation into proton beams as weapons.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you can't really tell because every pic i found has 98% artifacts and 1% image.

What if that's just the way he photographed because of the beam hitting him? :tinfoil:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

edit: oh god tables why

edit 2: gently caress embedding. It's a harmless welder's prank

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp3TcrAlS6/

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 2, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kith posted:

edit: oh god tables why

edit 2: gently caress embedding. It's a harmless welder's prank

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp3TcrAlS6/

can't wait to see the sunburn on that dudes fingers

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
She's been raining a little in Guang'an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axpyRUIeGow

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Two things stand out from that video:

1) Why is there a giant blanket over the road? Is that supposed to help?

2) What loving lunatics see that happen directly in front of their highrise and do't immediately run like hell?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a giant tarp to divert the rain. Good idea if there'd been more complete coverage.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does anyone have a link to that crazy looking, but apparently safe, Russian welding practice where they join two big metal sections together by sprinkling thermite(?) along the seam, lighting it and it burns in a huge long line along the join but leaves an incredibly smooth weld?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Does anyone have a link to that crazy looking, but apparently safe, Russian welding practice where they join two big metal sections together by sprinkling thermite(?) along the seam, lighting it and it burns in a huge long line along the join but leaves an incredibly smooth weld?

Perfectly normal welding practice, doesn't even need to be Russian.

That's how they weld train tracks together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxsFglz2ig

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's not really crazy. When I was living in Munich, Germany all the tramways were repaired like this, by official policy.
The even did a demonstration of thermite welding for schoolchildren once a year.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Found the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvXUbcHBsY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaJi5yFAe8

They used that here when they were redoing all the city tram lines.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's not thermite, that's just an arc welding stick. Neat trick though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

That's firecracker welding, which is (a) quite cool* and (b) not really a problem OSHA wise.

*: This is a lie, it's quite hot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, this is a cool idea. On the other hand, would you want to be in one of these things when it malfunctions at high speeds?

https://i.imgur.com/g4Zq4gX.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
combat life expectancy: 12 minutes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

combat life expectancy: 12 minutes

Better than a lieutenant in Vietnam!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/1013847628851941376

Some more details in the twitter thread.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Two things stand out from that video:

1) Why is there a giant blanket over the road? Is that supposed to help?

2) What loving lunatics see that happen directly in front of their highrise and do't immediately run like hell?
1. Cold water unhealthy, warm water healthy

2. Warm water healthy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/02/thailand-cave-rescue-divers-search-for-missing-football-team-live

Thai Navy divers found a group of missing youth football players and their coach all alive in a cave they disappeared in....9 days ago.

The rescue operation is underway and expected to take hours per person.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

Those experiments intentionally injured and killed perfectly healthy people and didn't actually produce any usable data.

Actually the WWII Nazis(not to be confused with the clown show ones faffing about America today) kept meticulous records involving administered substances and schedules. Even discounting any pharmaceutical knowledge gained, the systemic, scheduled starvation and rationing of subjects produced a non-trivial amount of dietary information, and also helped establish the current 2,000 calorie diet we have today.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/02/thailand-cave-rescue-divers-search-for-missing-football-team-live

Thai Navy divers found a group of missing youth football players and their coach all alive in a cave they disappeared in....9 days ago.

That is fantastic news.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HKmMDNsso

I really did not expect a video like that would emerge

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it's pretty wonderful. I was sure they were dead.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mistle posted:

Actually the WWII Nazis(not to be confused with the clown show ones faffing about America today) kept meticulous records involving administered substances and schedules. Even discounting any pharmaceutical knowledge gained, the systemic, scheduled starvation and rationing of subjects produced a non-trivial amount of dietary information, and also helped establish the current 2,000 calorie diet we have today.

:wrong:
Nazi "scientific methods" were extremely shoddy and produced junk.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199005173222006#t=article

2,000 to 2,500 calories being needed to maintain an adult came from USDA food intake surveys, and even before the war "ideal" rations were sized in this range by governments and armies.

Late in WWI for example, US soldiers got "reserve rations" which were 14 ounces of canned bacon or beef, 16 ounces of canned bread/hardtack, and 2.4 ounces of sugar, which works out to around 3100 calories but was probably less due to lower quality meats and worse canning technology. In WWII the K-ration was developed which had around 2800 calories.

We can go further back to the American revolutionary war where soldiers were supposed to get 1lb of beef and 1lb of bread or flour a day, which I'd hazard works out to something like 2200 calories on the conservative side. They also received 3 pints of dried peas/beans or veggies and a half pint of rice per week, which works out to something like an additional 200 calories/day, plus a quart of Spruce Beer per day as a anti-scurvy thing but the beer would be another 50 calories. Plus whatever they were able to buy or loot/steal/forage.

And again, we can go even further back: Roman soldiers got something like 1lb of meat and up to 2-3lbs of grain per day plus other supplementary foods.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mistle posted:

how's it feel to be a nazi sympathizer

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mistle posted:

Actually the WWII Nazis(not to be confused with the clown show ones faffing about America today)

Oh, the good nazis.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TTerrible posted:

Oh, the good nazis.

Well, they certainly were snappier dressers.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TTerrible posted:

Oh, the good nazis.

Well, they are largely dead Nazis so...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

The recuse mission is apparently a logistical nightmare and they're saying it may take weeks, if not months to get these kids out. None of them can swim, there's zero viability in the water and they're in a pocket miles from the entrance.

They have the means and methods to keep them alive during the process but man it's going to be a very long few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't they just lower the water.