Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The setting of Mass Effect is better than the games or the story. I love the different alien races and the technology they don't really understand but all rely on, just a shame about the repetitive shooty combat and godawful story.

Little thing bugging me in XCOM: Enemy Within: why does reloading a gun take all your action points? I just want to be able to reload and fire in the same turn. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They changed that in xcom 2 so reloading as your first action doesn’t end your turn.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah that boss is terrible.

And for some reason they decided that this boss fight was the perfect time to introduce a new player power that's horridly unsuited to the fight. You activate it for the damage boost, then the boss probably flies off out of reach before you can get any hits in, and shoots you to death during your recovery period.

That's exactly what happened to me and I didn't touch berserker mode for the rest of my playthrough because it seemed crap.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Layers of Fear:

I got this game for free, which is great because I wouldn't pay for it.

It is just a linear sequence of rooms with the occasional puzzle. The alien geometries are supposed to unsettle you, but we never get to know the house as a normal place so it felt like going through the motions. A cool idea for a horror game is one where you are accustomed to a limited space, and as you progress the main plot the place becomes less familiar and more alien. Imagine if you wake up at night during a power outrage and you hear an intruder; your home suddenly becomes hostile and foreign.

The only part that elicits a chill is when you play the child's carousel toy in the nursery, Before or after that? Bleh.

Just when you think the game's over, and you bring the final ingredient to the canvas, you're painting you are suddenly plunged into a new room. Here you must spend 10 minutes pissing around and collecting Draught pieces for some reason.

The game tries to unnerve you with freaky paintings, with those portraits of the hairy Gonzalez people and all I could think about was Brass Eye: "Mandrills are protected under British law after Queen Elizabeth the First gave birth to a child resembling a mandrill by mistake."

Anatomy is a lo-fi horror game with a similar concept, it's short and good and just 3 bucks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mass Effect 2 just leans way too hard into the "Dark! Gritty!" thing for me- like they had the idea that this was a trilogy so this should be like Empire Strikes Back, but they overshoot. Way too many levels are festooned with rubble and convenient chest-high walls, you're forced into working for this crypto-fascist "human supremacy" faction, whatever character you were involved with in the first game has just sorta moved on, etc.

The first Mass Effect is kind of a mess, but it's a glorious mess- it has a great cheesy space opera feel, I had fun wandering around the Citadel and even steering the Mako in search of alien artifacts. 2 is in some ways more focused, but not to my liking- the RPG stuff gets diminished in favor of the shooting.

The prison station even has automatic folding chest-high walls that spring up when combat starts.

Someone like Kojima would at least have had fun with something dumb like that.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The great thing about ME1 is that it nailed the whole optimistic space opera kind of feel... which ME2 and especially ME3 completely poo poo all over. ME1's ending is literally the way the series should have ended.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

They changed that in xcom 2 so reloading as your first action doesn’t end your turn.

... goddamnit, I'm going to end up getting 2 as well, aren't I?

Another little complaint: when I call in an airstrike on a fixed location, why does that start an 8 move countdown? Why not just wait until my team is out of the area before nuking the gently caress out of it? I'm the loving commander, why is that jumped up dick, Central, making these calls?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
If it's the mission I'm thinking of, Chrysalids need to be dealt with NOW THIS SECOND due to the speed they reproduce. They're already munching on whale carcasses...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Safeword posted:

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, Chrysalids need to be dealt with NOW THIS SECOND due to the speed they reproduce. They're already munching on whale carcasses...

Yup, that's the one. I guess I'm just mad because I lost a guy on that one. Been save-scumming like a bitch, but he got killed when there was only him and one other guy one turn away from the extraction point. Couldn't be arsed to go load a save, so just accepted that some Captain will never be forgotten. Except by me, as I can't remember his name or anything about him. He might have been an assault class?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sunswipe posted:

... goddamnit, I'm going to end up getting 2 as well, aren't I?

Don't buy it for the Ps4, it is borderline unplayable. I got it for free and couldn't bear more than three missions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Safeword posted:

Note that if you bunker up, there is in fact a finite number of Chryssalids that will spawn, which makes the evac so much simpler. Just be prepared to kill, no joke, forty or fifty of the things, and you need to reliably put down about two a turn to keep from being overrun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Layers of Fear:

I got this game for free, which is great because I wouldn't pay for it.

It is just a linear sequence of rooms with the occasional puzzle. The alien geometries are supposed to unsettle you, but we never get to know the house as a normal place so it felt like going through the motions. A cool idea for a horror game is one where you are accustomed to a limited space, and as you progress the main plot the place becomes less familiar and more alien. Imagine if you wake up at night during a power outrage and you hear an intruder; your home suddenly becomes hostile and foreign.

The only part that elicits a chill is when you play the child's carousel toy in the nursery, Before or after that? Bleh.

Just when you think the game's over, and you bring the final ingredient to the canvas, you're painting you are suddenly plunged into a new room. Here you must spend 10 minutes pissing around and collecting Draught pieces for some reason.

The game tries to unnerve you with freaky paintings, with those portraits of the hairy Gonzalez people and all I could think about was Brass Eye: "Mandrills are protected under British law after Queen Elizabeth the First gave birth to a child resembling a mandrill by mistake."

I got that game for free, too. I want my money back. It was pretty boring, then I blindly walked into a basement and the door locked behind me and suddenly I had to solve a puzzle on a oujia board I had no clues, context or solution for at all.

Digirat posted:

Xcom 2 improves so much on the first game, but also throws in so many dumb things I could never decide if I liked it or hated it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't really like how almost every mission in XCOM 2 is timed. I guess they don't like people creeping through the map incrementally and carefully, but I like doing that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The great thing about ME1 is that it nailed the whole optimistic space opera kind of feel... which ME2 and especially ME3 completely poo poo all over. ME1's ending is literally the way the series should have ended.

I think the whole reaper thing should never have been an element in the Mass Effect games, I feel like most of the plot related stuff I loathed in the games finds its way back to them.

I would have preferred if it was entirely focused on the Star-Trek like thing where you had to handle the various races and their conflicting problems on their own merits instead of as a sideshow to stopping the big bad reapers. Mass Effect 3 basically being the story of an unimaginable hell-war didn't click at all in terms of how I wanted to interact with the universe and it's characters. They also didn't sell it that well with Shepard often getting caught up in some comparatively petty nonsense when literally everyone is dying around you.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't really like how almost every mission in XCOM 2 is timed. I guess they don't like people creeping through the map incrementally and carefully, but I like doing that.

The timer might have been a bit harsh (though I feel like it was made more lenient with the expansion?) but honestly I think it was for the better, for me at least, to be kicked out of the inch forward with overwatch traps rut and try and vary up my strategies.

Part of the problem is that the timer can sometime be truly lethal on Ironman.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I've been playing The Crew 2, a game that requires you be online, and populates the session with random people.

I can't see a way to race them.

I can invite them to my Crew and we can do events vs AI, but I can't race actual people. In a racing game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

Don't buy it for the Ps4, it is borderline unplayable. I got it for free and couldn't bear more than three missions.

Haven't bought a console since the PS3 and 360. Not to go all PC master race, but consoles now seem to have all the drawbacks of PC gaming and none of the advantages.

khwarezm posted:

I think the whole reaper thing should never have been an element in the Mass Effect games, I feel like most of the plot related stuff I loathed in the games finds its way back to them.

I would have preferred if it was entirely focused on the Star-Trek like thing where you had to handle the various races and their conflicting problems on their own merits instead of as a sideshow to stopping the big bad reapers. Mass Effect 3 basically being the story of an unimaginable hell-war didn't click at all in terms of how I wanted to interact with the universe and it's characters. They also didn't sell it that well with Shepard often getting caught up in some comparatively petty nonsense when literally everyone is dying around you.
Mass Effect 3 should have been nothing but Shepard slapping people in the face and screaming "The end civilisation is literally on our doorstep! I'm not going to gently caress around with your fetch quest, give me the drat thing I want or I'll shove you out an airlock!" or "The thing I've been warning you about for years is happening! I've been right about everything, so stop your loving bickering and fight the loving Reapers!" I appreciate the possible problem of aggressive Krogan expansion if the genophage is cured, but on the other hand, every sentient race in the galaxy is going to be obliterated if we don't, so maybe let's worry about the Krogan once we know we're not all going to die?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I still think Mass Effect 2 is very good but it's pretty nutty how little effect it has on the following game. it's one big ol' side story to the main conflict.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

rear end effect 2 holla miranda

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Miranda always dies. No way I'm not siding with Jack in their argument.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

Haven't bought a console since the PS3 and 360. Not to go all PC master race, but consoles now seem to have all the drawbacks of PC gaming and none of the advantages.

I dunno a friend gave me a better graphics card and since then I've had to:

Buy a new connecter to get the thing power
Get an ethernet card because the onboard one stopped working
Get a new power supply because what I had wasn't enough and it would just shut the computer down randomly when I was playing games
After a month of working fine Overwatch just decided it wasn't happy with my drivers and started crashing randomly

My PS4 I plugged in and it works

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mass Effect 2 just leans way too hard into the "Dark! Gritty!" thing for me- like they had the idea that this was a trilogy so this should be like Empire Strikes Back, but they overshoot. Way too many levels are festooned with rubble and convenient chest-high walls, you're forced into working for this crypto-fascist "human supremacy" faction, whatever character you were involved with in the first game has just sorta moved on, etc.

The first Mass Effect is kind of a mess, but it's a glorious mess- it has a great cheesy space opera feel, I had fun wandering around the Citadel and even steering the Mako in search of alien artifacts. 2 is in some ways more focused, but not to my liking- the RPG stuff gets diminished in favor of the shooting.

In fairness, there are some fantastic moments in 2 and the characters are great. But on the other hand Kashley end up wasted by way of stupid forced drama, the plot is contorted in pointlessly obtuse ways to justify everything that happens, and there's just enough retcons to piss me off. And the shooting, while certainly more accessible than ME1's weird hybrid gameplay, is clunky and poorly designed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My main problem with ME2 is that I played as a Vanguard and Charge has a 50% chance of clipping you into some scenery and trapping you there forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started playing Ni No Kuni 2 and while the general gameplay is good I hate how slow you move on the overworld map. Especially how they like to put chests and little pick ups all over the place.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Qwertycoatl posted:

My main problem with ME2 is that I played as a Vanguard and Charge has a 50% chance of clipping you into some scenery and trapping you there forever.

I too played a vanguard and my main complaint is there isn’t a vanguard option in every FPS.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Either that or oops you just can't charge those guys because they designed the map like an old timey shooting gallery and you're not supposed to go into the background, silly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is a faithful remake of the original three games and runs flawlessly on the pc version, but the updated graphics have the side effect of making it so you can still see where you're going in the dark during the firefly levels of Crash 2. On the Playstation version there were some tricks to the level design where you had to navigate in the dark either before getting the firefly or after one running out, in the remake you can see well enough that it doesn't really matter.

Also they removed one of his dance moves after getting a gem.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fortunately ME3 fixed the problems and showed what Vanguarding was supposed to be like.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is a faithful remake of the original three games and runs flawlessly on the pc version, but the updated graphics have the side effect of making it so you can still see where you're going in the dark during the firefly levels of Crash 2. On the Playstation version there were some tricks to the level design where you had to navigate in the dark either before getting the firefly or after one running out, in the remake you can see well enough that it doesn't really matter.

Also they removed one of his dance moves after getting a gem.

It's faithful but not in the aspects that really matter. Looks beautiful, the music's remastered but they hosed with hitboxes and jump heights so now mundane stuff like getting over those lava puddles require not just good but absolutely perfect timing. It's really noticeable if you played the originals.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Qwertycoatl posted:

Fortunately ME3 fixed the problems
There's a sentiment you don't hear very often.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sunswipe posted:

There's a sentiment you don't hear very often.

ME3's combat was a lot of fun. There's a reason people sunk so much time into the multiplayer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As someone who wasn't very invested into the Mass Effect world beyond kinda liking a few of the characters I thought 3 was a Good Game. The multiplayer was amazing, I think that was the last multiplayer shooter I gave a poo poo about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm overall enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn, but there are enough little things dragging it down that mean I dont love it as much as a lot of other people seem to. Most of them are small but if you add on enough small annoyances you spend a surprising amount of time being low-key annoyed. The difficulty is WILDLY uneven in places, with the stated level requirement of an activity/mission appearing to have been randomly assigned. Flying robots are never, at any point in the game, any fun to fight at all. Nor is the burrowing one. Theres a sidequest in the DLC to kill an amped-up burrowing one, and it spends like 60% of the time underground (and so untargetable, and also untraceable) and can emerge under your feet and kill you with a second hit while you are still stunlocked from the first hit. Combined with the load times this makes fighting him a supremely tedious chore.

In the DLC they decided to make like 90% of the robots... I forget what they call it (Damned? Possessed?), lets say its "Corrupted mk 2". This means they are immune to corruption arrows and overriding. Many of them in story missions also ambush you so you cant effectively use a lot of traps or stealth. So with 60% of your toolbox down it leaves the basic shooting combat, which is... fine. It just gets real old real fast because it boils down to "Shoot the thing until it reveals a weak point. Now shoot the weak spot for maximum damage" which is the combat loop for almost every boss fight in every video game for the last 30-odd years. Added to the DLC robots having obscenely long strings of attacks to hammer dodge through.

The decision to only allow saving at designated savepoints instead of anywhere in the world is an interesting one. And by interesting I mean "loving stupid and annoying".

Every quest reward is a magical mystery box. Even the ones where you get a specific fixed thing (a particular weapon or piece of armour say) give you it in a mystery box. Its fairly obvious that this was originally planned to be to be a "pay real money to get robodinobux, use those to buy lootboxes" system until they (thankfully) thought better of it. Whats left is essentially a two-step process to find out that the reward for a quest turns out to be some sticks, a small amount of currency and a health potion. Seriously, almost every quest reward ends up being very underwhelming.

Current quest I'm on is go into a place and find the source of the corruption mk 2. Everything is purple and black with red and blue lighting effects. A combination that tranlates roughly to "Cant see poo poo Cap'n".

And this one is properly petty, but its also not specific to HZD: Developers! You can EITHER give NPCs I'm accompanying "Hurry up player!" ambient dialogue on a short timer OR have the areas I'm accompanying them through have side paths with useful stuff which rewards thorough exploration. Not both! That makes you a loving annoying dick! I'm wandering around picking up lore collectables and restocking stuff I need to make ammo to a CONSTANT litany of "Are we lost?" "We need to get going" "the way to go is over there" "Are we lost?" "We should hurry" "Are we lost?". Motherfucker, I'm not the one that put a loving audio log in the opposite corner of the massive room from the critical path. An audio log I might add that you are best off standing totally still to listen to as its one of those where its incredibly easy to interrupt the audio log or have an NPC talk over it so you have to find it in the menu and play it again.

I am enjoying it (but this isnt the thread for that) but I was expecting so much more from the amount of praise it was getting. People were really surprised this "great" game came from the Killzone devs. Personally I can see it. Gameplay wise this is Killzone to FarCrys Halo if you see what I mean. I liked Killzone okay as well for the record.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

EmmyOk posted:

Forced combat in The Last of Us is generally fine and pretty fun once you get used to it but the area where you have to constantly run from the sniper who's invulnerable is unspeakably bad and I don't know how anyone ever thought "oh this would be a fun section"

You just run all the way to the left. Iirc there’s a video of a guy doing it in like 30 seconds.

What I hate more about that level is actually shooting guys AS a sniper. And I loving love being a sniper in games.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 2, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get that it's part of the charm and a built-in motivator to Always Be Playing (since it's a browser game and if you use third-party programs, you can basically automate huge chunks of it), but it's incredibly disheartening to come back to Kingdom of Loathing, stumble upon something you're excited about on the wiki or whatever... to find out that it was part of an event that happened a year and a half ago, for a month, and there's no way to get it. Sometimes you're lucky and its possible to get it for a large amount of currency in the in-game mall one way or another, but other times? You're SOL.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

As someone who wasn't very invested into the Mass Effect world beyond kinda liking a few of the characters I thought 3 was a Good Game. The multiplayer was amazing, I think that was the last multiplayer shooter I gave a poo poo about.

Yeah, for most of its duration it was legitimately good, up until the very last stretch. It carried with it all the expectations build up by two very good preceding games, and then hosed up the landing in an impressively terrible way that retroactively soured people on the rest of it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

In Mario + Rabbids, outside of combat, it's infuriating how frequently it takes away camera control from you and locks you in to a fixed 'cinematic' viewpoint. It's frequently used as a way to hide collectables and secret paths, which you will usually be able to spot once you've walked a certain distance past it and now you're in combat or you've hit a new chapter, meaning you have to now backtrack through a loading screen to check out whatever you've missed. Coupled with the lack of a map, it's irritating that you can't navigate by cardinal direction and have to remember a lot of extremely similar looking landmarks in order to figure out which way you need to go because it just stole camera control again.

General bitch about the Switch since it's the first time I've really played on it since buying it in January and being underwhelmed by Zelda: it's completely impossible to use outside during the day because the screen is glossy and really dimly backlit. Seems to defeat the entire point of a handheld console.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

I enjoyed all three games but yeah I loved the multiplayer. It was extremely generous with lootboxes and you never really needed to pay real money to get anything (I think I ended up spending like £20 over the course of two years just for the hell of it).

Then for Dragon Age:Inquisition, they took the squad-based co-op escalating waves of monsters concept and made it awful with lootboxes way less generously given out but pretty much essential to play, and only like three maps. Then they doubled-down even harder on lootbox poo poo for Mass Effect:Andromeda, which was pretty much DOA.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

I enjoyed all three games but yeah I loved the multiplayer. It was extremely generous with lootboxes and you never really needed to pay real money to get anything (I think I ended up spending like £20 over the course of two years just for the hell of it).

Then for Dragon Age:Inquisition, they took the squad-based co-op escalating waves of monsters concept and made it awful with lootboxes way less generously given out but pretty much essential to play, and only like three maps. Then they doubled-down even harder on lootbox poo poo for Mass Effect:Andromeda, which was pretty much DOA.

What really killed the DA:I multiplayer was that 3 long cooldown active abilities just wasn't enough to be interesting when the only other thing you could do was autoattack. Shooting is just a lot more engaging, and ME3 had a solid variety of guns.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I was looking forward to Andromeda's multiplayer because of the good poo poo I heard about 3's and was kinda hoping when the game tanked EA would pivot and release the MP as a standalone (maybe f2p?) and go all in on lootboxes. From what I heard about like 200+ characters they already did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Found a patch that finally gets The Saboteur running on >4 core processors, been wanting to play this for a long time.

It is indeed a very good early open-world game, except for one omission - a huge game map and no fast travel? Ok, the car driving is fun but I’d rather not have to drive Paris to Le Havre multiple times to start a new mission thank you.