Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

I see some reports that the 5,000th Model 3 wasn't 100% complete until hours after the "deadline". Someone put an asterisk on that Elon tweet!

Since it looks more likely that the Roadster 2 might actually see daylight, I'm getting more and more torn about hanging on to my original Roadster or not. I don't think it will be worth anything near term, but I could see having the first production Tesla being very cool in 20 years if they end up taking over the world.

At the very least you're going to end up with the equivalent of a DeLorean, or a Bricklin, but more likely an AMC Javelin or Matador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Finger Prince posted:

At the very least you're going to end up with the equivalent of a DeLorean, or a Bricklin, but more likely an AMC Javelin or Matador.

Cruising the beach today and hearing "I've never seen a Tesla like THAT!" Makes me want to keep it. Wonder how prevalent the R2 will be compared to the original.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Ioniq PHEV as far as I know doesn't exist outside of the northeast and CA

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

eeenmachine posted:

Someone needs to print up some "Abolish ICE Vehicles" bumper stickers. I wonder how quickly your car would get keyed...

Ooh that's clever, I love it

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Cockmaster posted:

Who would have thought that getting set up to produce thousands of cars per week would be so expensive?
It *is* pretty normal. Tesla is just fine and would be profitable I'd they weren't spending bookoo bucks on R&D and growth. Amazon didn't make any money the first, what, 10 years? Growth is expensive.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Cruising the beach today and hearing "I've never seen a Tesla like THAT!" Makes me want to keep it. Wonder how prevalent the R2 will be compared to the original.

If you aren't having any mechanical issues or unusual battery degradation, I'd keep it.

Hell, if you ever decide to get rid of it, throw me a PM with a price. They're neat cars and will be a piece of history.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Drove 32 miles today electric only. Did errands in the morning then charged up during the day then drove to fireworks and back. drat this just feels good man. The AWD from the EVO came in handy did some mild off roading to park for the fireworks, complete confidence.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Koirhor posted:

The Ioniq PHEV as far as I know doesn't exist outside of the northeast and CA

I saw one the other day that said "electric" on the back. Was that the PHEV or BEV? Seattle area, forget which state the tag was.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Isn't part of the issue that Teslas by a car production standard just, not innovative? I mean in the sense that they are mass produced electric cars sure but they are using outdated laptop cells (Albeit with newer formulations) that no one else is using good reasons and construction techniques that are basically ancient by high end automobile standards.

Which is all fine if they were using those older technologies to drive down cost and increase production but the reality is they are struggling to build expensive cars that without their electric drivetrains MB/BMW/VW wouldn't even consider as modern platforms.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 2, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oh, hey I guess I stirred up some poo poo, I don't want to ruin this thread it's a good resource. I'm happy to admit I'm a Tesla fanboy and talk about it, but it's so hard since it seems like you are 100% wanting Tesla to make it or 100% want them to fail. Difficult circumstances to have a calm, rational conversation around.

Anyhow, I drove down to the oil refinery (Commerce City, CO) this evening. Pics are not as good as I wanted but it was fun anyhow:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I want Tesla to make it but I also want them to stop making some of the stupid choices that they keep on pushing at and I want Elon Musk to stop being a douchebag (the last two may be related)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Post beautiful EVs ITT

Kinda bummed I've never done a real shoot in all the years I've had mine.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Post beautiful EVs ITT

Saw this one yesterday.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Saw this one yesterday.

Holy crap, I've always wanted to drive one of those! Can't imagine they'd do very well in a collision with an amurrican SUV/truck though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

I saw one the other day that said "electric" on the back. Was that the PHEV or BEV? Seattle area, forget which state the tag was.

BEV. Best EV.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Isn't part of the issue that Teslas by a car production standard just, not innovative? I mean in the sense that they are mass produced electric cars sure but they are using outdated laptop cells (Albeit with newer formulations) that no one else is using good reasons and construction techniques that are basically ancient by high end automobile standards.

Which is all fine if they were using those older technologies to drive down cost and increase production but the reality is they are struggling to build expensive cars that without their electric drivetrains MB/BMW/VW wouldn't even consider as modern platforms.
I don't think so. As I understand it they have had issues with build quality, and I vaguely remember there might be an issue with one part of the 3's chassis in terms of potential future reliability issues due to the material it was made out of(??) Also the quality of their interiors isn't as good as equivalent priced models from established manufacturers.
But from what I've read the batteries are good, and construction techniques are fine?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

El Grillo posted:

I vaguely remember there might be an issue with one part of the 3's chassis in terms of potential future reliability issues due to the material it was made out of(??) Also the quality of their interiors isn't as good as equiv

The pictures from the S accident where the cast control arms had snapped and looked really bubbly?

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

RZA Encryption posted:

That's the BEV I've got the (non plugin) Hybrid and really like it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
First Tesla I ever saw was when Fresh 'N Easy (the Tesco market that tried a go in the U.S.) was around. Someone had a roadster with colors themed to the market in the lot one day. I wondered how they ever charged the thing.

kimbo305 posted:

The pictures from the S accident where the cast control arms had snapped and looked really bubbly?
Wasnt that from some weirdo that just reposts that photo all over and makes cray claims about being in Tesla accidents??

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Three Olives posted:

Tesla biggest problem is that it has tried to build a highly automated manufacturing process that is unrealistic, expensive and in reality less efficient. There is a reason the largest automakers in the world still rely on a large portion of human labor to build their cars: because it works.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-robots-are-killing-it-2018-3

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eeenmachine posted:

Someone needs to print up some "Abolish ICE Vehicles" bumper stickers. I wonder how quickly your car would get keyed...

I will put one on my M5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tesla platforms are fine it's the manufacturing process and the fact that they tried to standardize a production model as they were ramping production. It's all solvable and it was all avoidable.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Wasnt that from some weirdo that just reposts that photo all over and makes cray claims about being in Tesla accidents??

Yes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Saw this one yesterday.

What the hell am I looking at here?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

El Grillo posted:

I don't think so. As I understand it they have had issues with build quality, and I vaguely remember there might be an issue with one part of the 3's chassis in terms of potential future reliability issues due to the material it was made out of(??) Also the quality of their interiors isn't as good as equivalent priced models from established manufacturers.
But from what I've read the batteries are good, and construction techniques are fine?

Someone will probably correct me but my understanding is using cylindrical cells for a car is less than ideal for a number of reasons including energy density, cooling, safety, etc. As far as Tesla's overall goals right now which include fixed storage the fact that it is proven technology that Panasonic can poo poo out a lot of cells cheaply it's, fine, but it's far from ideal if you are building batteries for an electric car.

NY Times posted:

In another bid to push the limits of technology, Tesla at times pulls robots off the line and tests them operating at speeds greater than specified by the supplier, said Charles Mwangi, Tesla’s director of body engineering.

“We are actually breaking them to see what the maximum limit is,” Mr. Mwangi said. The idea is to find ways of accelerating production without spending capital on new machinery. In the future, rather than adding more machines to increase output, “we can just dial up our equipment,” he said.

This seems like a fine plan to reliably produce high quality cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Three Olives posted:

This seems like a fine plan to reliably produce high quality cars.

It's absolutely silly because the bottleneck to producing more cars has almost never been the cycle time of process robots.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What the hell am I looking at here?

I’d guess it’s a Tango t600.

:agesilaus:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Someone will probably correct me but my understanding is using cylindrical cells for a car is less than ideal for a number of reasons including energy density, cooling, safety, etc. As far as Tesla's overall goals right now which include fixed storage the fact that it is proven technology that Panasonic can poo poo out a lot of cells cheaply it's, fine, but it's far from ideal if you are building batteries for an electric car.

That’s my understanding, but I’m far from an engineer. The goal was to settle on a standardized cell type to be used across platforms in the hope of it becoming commoditized and driving prices way down (as you might see in the semiconductor business).

It wasn’t a bad idea at the time but I don’t think it worked for them as well as they’d have liked. Battery costs are stubborn.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

FilthyImp posted:

The craziness of the person posting photos doesn’t change the poorly cast parts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

blugu64 posted:

The craziness of the person posting photos doesn’t change the poorly cast parts.

one person posting the same photo over and over again doesn't indicate a trend, though, just a single incident.

it's possible that tesla control arms are fundamentally flawed or poorly made and it's also possible there was a bad batch and the rest are fine.

i base my opinions on the data we have, and that situation in particular isn't one in which we have enough data to really make a sweeping judgement. the fact that tesla has made owners sign an NDA before agreeing to perform warranty work (i.e. "yes this was broken out of the factory but you can't tell anyone under penalty of lawsuit") really complicates the matter, though. that's an example of elon's douchebaggery that i was referring to, btw.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Agronox posted:

That’s my understanding, but I’m far from an engineer. The goal was to settle on a standardized cell type to be used across platforms in the hope of it becoming commoditized and driving prices way down (as you might see in the semiconductor business).

It wasn’t a bad idea at the time but I don’t think it worked for them as well as they’d have liked. Battery costs are stubborn.

Everyone uses cylindrical cells. They’re the best design overall when you take into account cost/weight/density/safety/

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Everyone uses cylindrical cells. They’re the best design overall when you take into account cost/weight/density/safety/

No they don’t. Bolt, Leaf, i3 are all pouch. Actually I don’t think anyone goes cylindrical at all now other than Tesla (somebody correct me if I’m wrong on this, can’t look it up at the moment).

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Agronox posted:

No they don’t. Bolt, Leaf, i3 are all pouch. Actually I don’t think anyone goes cylindrical at all now other than Tesla (somebody correct me if I’m wrong on this, can’t look it up at the moment).

Oops, you’re right. I’m wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

it's possible that tesla control arms are fundamentally flawed or poorly made and it's also possible there was a bad batch and the rest are fine.

i base my opinions on the data we have, and that situation in particular isn't one in which we have enough data to really make a sweeping judgement.

Agreed on that latter point. The unknowable question is how big that bad batch was, and if they were able to get them off the road.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Oops, you’re right. I’m wrong.

No worries.

Now if someone can explain to me the difference between “pouch” and “prismatic”...

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Doesn't Tesla have the lowest battery costs of any manufacturer combined with the highest capacities? Their cooling and management (cooling ribbons between the cylindrical cells) have also provided better longevity than anyone expected.

Not trying to fanboy, just honestly doubting they'd go back and do anything differently if they could start from scratch. I could be totally wrong though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Doesn't Tesla have the lowest battery costs of any manufacturer combined with the highest capacities?

Unknown. They haven’t disclosed cost specifics. (Nor have others.)

Pack costs can be significant too and I don’t think they’ll ever tell us what those are, as it’s trade secret.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Agronox posted:

Unknown. They haven’t disclosed cost specifics. (Nor have others.)

Pack costs can be significant too and I don’t think they’ll ever tell us what those are, as it’s trade secret.

Speculation from Jun this year that they will achieve a cell cost of $100/kWh by the end of this year.

electrek posted:

In comparison, GM is currently buying battery cells from LG Chem for the Chevy Bolt EV at $145 per kWh and Audi says that it is buying batteries at $114 per kWh for its upcoming e-tron quattro that has yet to launch.

And with the caveat of being an Elon prediction:

'"electrek" posted:

As for the cost at the pack level, Musk sees Tesla achieving that important price point of $100 per kWh for the overall battery pack in less than two years.

Musk also added that he sees Tesla achieving a 30% improvement in volumetric energy density within 2 to 3 years using current proven technology that “needs to be scaled and made reliable.”

Such an improvement in volumetric energy density would mean that Tesla could, for example, fit 130 kWh of energy capacity in its current Model S and Model X 100 kWh battery packs and push the range of those vehicles over 400 miles on a single charge.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/09/tesla-battery-energy-density-cost-breakthroughs/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
When it comes to Tesla discussion, we really should act like Electrek doesn't exist. The editor is rabidly pro-Musk. He had a 40k/year department store job in Canada before starting the site and glomming specifically onto Tesla. He makes a ton of money off of Tesla referrals (80-100k I think) and doesn't really disclose it on Electrek's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

That just sounds like "stuff he hopes comes true".

A 30% increase in battery density in two years. Sure, sure. Why not!

• Locked thread