Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:bisonyes:

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/1013737788620066816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Release clauses are worthless anyway. If Barca come in with £150m offer and Mo decides he wants to win a kid of trophies in the Sun I doubt the five year commitment will prove a major obstacle.

The reason the tweet mentions the release clause is because sometimes if a player is really good, a release clause is a way of telling them "stay for one season with a pay rise and we'll let you move for £Xm in a year's time" which was rumoured (not sure if it was ever confirmed) when Suarez signed one the year before he left and after the Arsenal stuff. No release clause gives the selling club an advantage if someone else comes in. They can negotiate the price or can stand firm and refuse to sell (the former is more likely these days, but either way it's good for the club assuming he's as good next season as last).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Release clauses are worthless anyway. If Barca come in with £150m offer and Mo decides he wants to win a kid of trophies in the Sun I doubt the five year commitment will prove a major obstacle.

no, but if it turns out that Mo becomes egyptian pele and his release clause is only 150m that's bad business

"only 150m" is a thing that one has to consider in this day and age

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

no, but if it turns out that Mo becomes egyptian pele and his release clause is only 150m that's bad business

"only 150m" is a thing that one has to consider in this day and age

£150m sounds great if he's unable to perform though?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ninpo posted:

£150m sounds great if he's unable to perform though?

yes? it isnt a maximum release clause, if you want to accept a lower offer you always can

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mickolution posted:

The reason the tweet mentions the release clause is because sometimes if a player is really good, a release clause is a way of telling them "stay for one season with a pay rise and we'll let you move for £Xm in a year's time" which was rumoured (not sure if it was ever confirmed) when Suarez signed one the year before he left and after the Arsenal stuff. No release clause gives the selling club an advantage if someone else comes in. They can negotiate the price or can stand firm and refuse to sell (the former is more likely these days, but either way it's good for the club assuming he's as good next season as last).

Depends on the player though, Cesc Fabregas had an 8 year contract with no release clause but once he decided he wanted to go that was pretty much that. The selling club only has an advantage while the player is happy to stay, clubs like Barca have shown they have no problem upsetting players and coming back later. I don’t think Salah is enough of a poo poo heel to claim he is a slave and down tools if he wants a move but you never know.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Depends on the player though, Cesc Fabregas had an 8 year contract with no release clause but once he decided he wanted to go that was pretty much that. The selling club only has an advantage while the player is happy to stay, clubs like Barca have shown they have no problem upsetting players and coming back later. I don’t think Salah is enough of a poo poo heel to claim he is a slave and down tools if he wants a move but you never know.

True, but it's not 100% (gentleman's agreement, i know) like a release clause and there can be negotiation over the price.

Look at Coutinho & Van Dijk. Both clubs dug their heels in last summer and refused to sell. That the players moved in January proves your point, but that both went for fees that would have been unbelievable when they last signed a deal (when a clause would have been added) proves mine. There's also the possibility of the buying club throwing in £10m or so more as the closing of the window gets closer.

We all know players hold 99% of the power these days and if they want to move they can, but release clauses can be dangerous. Wasn't Neymar's €200m put in place because Barcelona thought nobody would ever hit it? If he didn't have one (I know everyone does in Spain, but you get what I mean), him leaving becomes less likely.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 2, 2018

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Sokratis to Arsenal is a Done Deal https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1013815513082933250

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah swings and roundabouts I guess. I just think it’s funny when fans believe contract extensions = security regarding a player leaving, which has been proven not to be the case these days.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/arsenal/status/1013815002720014336?s=21

E:f,b

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The state of Turkish football:

https://twitter.com/Akhisarspor/status/1013471672215760897?s=19

(Elvis Manu to Akhisarspor)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've heard only bad things about Sokratis, but he was also Dortmund's captain and first-choice centerback. Is he any good at all

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

yes? it isnt a maximum release clause, if you want to accept a lower offer you always can

whoosh

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I've heard only bad things about Sokratis, but he was also Dortmund's captain and first-choice centerback. Is he any good at all

Did you see Arsenals centerbacks last year basically anythings an improvement.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah swings and roundabouts I guess. I just think it’s funny when fans believe contract extensions = security regarding a player leaving, which has been proven not to be the case these days.

Yeah, all it really means now is that the player isn't leaving in this window.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Real Betis don't seem to have taken up their option on Jordi Amat, even though he was a regular in the side that qualified for the Europa League.

So we've still got 5 senior centrebacks and the worst of them was considered a superstar when on loan at Leeds. I think 100 points is a conservative target for the season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, all it really means now is that the player isn't leaving in this window.

Bony signed a new contract 3 weeks before Man City bought him. It's no guarantee, sometimes it's done because they're expecting movement.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Man Utd look to be buying Lee Grant from Stoke for £1.5m. Stoke are bringing in bad keeper Adam Federici to replace him on the bench. I thought that Grant was going to be Stoke's no. 1 this season with Butland almost certainly leaving. I don't know if Butland is staying now or if we've got someone else lined up.

Also Rory Delap has joined the coaching staff. Can't wait to see some long throws being blasted in.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

He was good but by all accounts had a poor season last year. At this stage though I think you have to give Emery the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows what he's doing and thinks he can turn the player around or whatever. And yeah, our center backs are trash and literally anyone with even a single leg is probably an improvement. Also I think Emery really rates our young defenders and so isn't going to spend big on that position.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

He’s going to play chambers in the middle and I’m going to do a lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On the other hand, our defenders being sent out with detailed instructions, adaptive game plans, and extensive practise and tape review over their previous one line task of "Express yourself on the field" could make the existing players play better too so :shrug: Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos, and Sokratis means someone is on the way out, and since the last two are Mslintat picks and Chambers is being tapped by Emery to earn a starting spot by the season opener, imo Mustafi is almost certainly gone

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, our defenders being sent out with detailed instructions, adaptive game plans, and extensive practise and tape review over their previous one line task of "Express yourself on the field" could make the existing players play better too so :shrug:

I mean fair enough but even with training I still think our centerbacks would be poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, our defenders being sent out with detailed instructions, adaptive game plans, and extensive practise and tape review over their previous one line task of "Express yourself on the field" could make the existing players play better too so :shrug: Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos, and Sokratis means someone is on the way out, and since the last two are Mslintat picks and Chambers is being tapped by Emery to earn a starting spot by the season opener, imo Mustafi is almost certainly gone

Koscielny is dead until at least December

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This is true, but I still think we're going to sell Mustafi or send Holding on loan, four plus Monreal plus Koscielny returning from the grave is enough

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

This is true, but I still think we're going to sell Mustafi or send Holding on loan, four plus Monreal plus Koscielny returning from the grave is enough

This requires playing either Chambers or Mavropanos as first choice immediately, and probably through most of the season, and that's insanity.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

Bony signed a new contract 3 weeks before Man City bought him. It's no guarantee, sometimes it's done because they're expecting movement.

True, but that was very much an exception. In this situation, it's Salah getting a pay rise for being very good and a statement saying he's going nowhere this Summer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bournemouth have bought David Brooks for north of £10m.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The lack of a release clause is not going to stop a move if the player wants a move, but it does at least make it harder for a player to move and screw over the interests of his present club. Raiding clubs can't point to some minimum amount and force Liverpool to talk if Liverpool don't want to talk. And if the player wants to force through the move, he has to throw a strop and put a transfer request in, which should save Liverpool some money.

Player power rules, so Liverpool fans shouldn't be surprised if Salah or Mane or anyone else starts batting their eyelashes at more successful clubs, but at least Salah has agreed to make any transfer saga in the next season or two as advantageous as it can possibly be for Liverpool.

sassassin posted:

Bournemouth have bought David Brooks for north of £10m.

If that means this rear end in a top hat will stop writing columns, I'm all for that.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1013838134604427264

Dreamboat Ruben Neves re-ups for 5 years.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Norwich City have bought Moritz Leitner from Augsberg who we had on loan last season he's good, winger Ben Marshall from Wolves who is supposedly good, Finnish striker Teemu Pukki who is supposedly shite, and loaned Felix Passlack from Dortmund which is apparently something of a coup but I have never heard of him. We have so many Germans.

We're also in talks to loan Chelsea midfielder Kasey Palmer and Liverpool winger Harry Wilson.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blue Star Error posted:

Norwich City have bought Moritz Leitner from Augsberg
I remember him he had really orange skin

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I remember him he had really orange skin

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

lol thank you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

You know what, you're probably right. Mustafi and Sokratis play with similar aggressiveness, constantly chasing the ball, and it'd be stupid to play them together.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol I thought that was a joke post

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star Error posted:

Liverpool winger Harry Wilson.

He's way better than Brooks but he's never going to get anywhere rotting at Liverpool poor lad.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Apparently Liverpool are in for Donnarumma? Weird.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Apparently Liverpool are in for Donnarumma? Weird.

Yeah right. Raiola will want way too much money to let that happen.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
He's poo poo now anyway.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Gigi Galli posted:

He's poo poo now anyway.

Just like the forum Mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sturaro agent said that Newcastle are interested

• Locked thread