Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wendell posted:

Wow, I love the way Troopa moves!

Yeah it's really cool, and the floatiness does add some challenge to using them, the best of the speedies.

I really like the nuances in the game. How Koopa has a particularly good drop ball. Daisy has slightly better reach, and is faster compared to the other two all-arounds, but she's weaker. Her slice is somewhat better than her top-spin, which is the contrary to Luigi, who has a mean top-spin but a mediocre slice.

I don't really enjoy standard gameplay. I think it's mainly because I'm absolute garbage at trick shots and at correctly blocking zone shots. I know it's a matter of practice, but it still feels a bit too gimmicky. I far prefer classic mode, you still get the arcadey fun, but it's less forgiving on positioning and I like the technique it demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I’m curious if this trick shot meta is how they planned. While it’s not a complaint against “get good”, it’s kind of annoying when games against most decently skilled players just play out the same way, trick shotting until one of us screws up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Holy moly is online doubles fun but does anyone have problems with the length of time it takes to get a match? It is like 15-20 minutes of searching for me on a Saturday night!

Edit: in Simple mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like it only works when organised. I'd be curious to find out what percentage of people play Standard versus Simple. I'm pretty much only ever on simple.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I tend to alternate standard and simple. I love simple because it’s more or less the tennis game I wanted but I also enjoy standard, up until I get sick of 1) declining bowser jr and 2) the trick shot meta which is just unfun against a lot of opponents.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also how does a stadium crowd of Goombas, Spikes, Koopas, and Toads make human crowd sounds

Their various squawk waves cancel each other out via interference and result in a generic murmur :science:

Also I think Nintendo should patch in one spectator Toad with a gambling problem, so you can clearly hear him over the crowd, losing his mind with one of two emotional inflections when a match is over.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Also I think Nintendo should patch in one spectator Toad with a gambling problem, so you can clearly hear him over the crowd, losing his mind with one of two emotional inflections when a match is over.

Also it should be Toadsworth

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also it should be Toadsworth

He passed away though :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There's a moment when all the mechanics of the game "clicks" for you and you start competing against the upper tier players consistently, even winning a few.

That is a wonderful feeling I wish on everyone.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kirios posted:

There's a moment when all the mechanics of the game "clicks" for you and you start competing against the upper tier players consistently, even winning a few.

That is a wonderful feeling I wish on everyone.

Heck yes it's a great feeling!! It happens for me on Friday. In one day I pulled my win percentage from high 30s to just shy of 50% before the June tourny ended.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

He passed away though :(

what thef uck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Luigi seems surprisingly tricky

Also watching Wimbledon while playing MTA during the breaks, maybe I'll learn something

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 2, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer standard but I decided to stick to simple online until the game balances characters and trick shots better.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a trick to reliably drop shotting when you're using zone time? There seems to be a 50/50 chance of me either hitting a drop shot or doing nothing. I can't figure out what the problem is and it's loving infuriating.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a trick to reliably drop shotting when you're using zone time? There seems to be a 50/50 chance of me either hitting a drop shot or doing nothing. I can't figure out what the problem is and it's loving infuriating.

Doing nothing as in not even swing or just a normal hit?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Doing nothing as in not even swing or just a normal hit?

Yes. I do what I do to make a drop shot happen and I just keep running. I don't charge I don't swing, I just keep moving.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes. I do what I do to make a drop shot happen and I just keep running. I don't charge I don't swing, I just keep moving.

I’ve had that happen to me a few times when attempting drop shots, but not specifically in zone time.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Wildtortilla posted:

I use the AB combo to drop shot, but I've still had it come out as either a slice or a topspin before in place of the drop shot I wanted. Nothing to do with zone speed though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have found that like if you can train yourself to occasionally use the single X for things like returning lobs at the net or returning special shots as drops, those are unique situations where a single X tap is best, but I usually use BA/AB also

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know a lot of people (myself included) are excited for Kamek but I'm actually getting more hyped for Boom Boom. His running animation is the best in the entire game and that's enough for me.

kidcoelacanth posted:

what thef uck

It was old age. Sad but at least he had a full life :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying it with both X and BA. Both are equally risky. I just lost two games in a row primarily to running passed shots that should have been a loving sure thing. I wish I understood if it's me or a semi-lovely control scheme for doing lobs and drop shots. It's probably some of both, but I haven't had this problem until literally this afternoon. It may also be lag. The game's been a laggy shitshow for me since the patch dropped. It's not unusual for me to pass on 5+ players before one of them has 3+ bars. Even if I agree to play someone with a good connection, I can't think of a single game of the ~10 I've played post patch that haven't devolved into freeze frame matches as the connection goes from 5 bars to 1 bar sporadically.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying it with both X and BA. Both are equally risky. I just lost two games in a row primarily to running passed shots that should have been a loving sure thing. I wish I understood if it's me or a semi-lovely control scheme for doing lobs and drop shots. It's probably some of both, but I haven't had this problem until literally this afternoon. It may also be lag. The game's been a laggy shitshow for me since the patch dropped. It's not unusual for me to pass on 5+ players before one of them has 3+ bars. Even if I agree to play someone with a good connection, I can't think of a single game of the ~10 I've played post patch that haven't devolved into freeze frame matches as the connection goes from 5 bars to 1 bar sporadically.

That sucks, but sounds like connection issue is more on your end based on my experience since the patch. Definitely a drop in connection quality as you only get matched with similar ranked players, but much better than what you’re describing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Trying to trick shot laterally and going up/downcourt, or vice versa, bones me so often. I can never tell if it's because I'm out of position and what I wanted to do won't work, or I fumbled the stick out of panic.

I would use left stick + XX but then I just end up trying to drop shot like a loser

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Trying to trick shot laterally and going up/downcourt, or vice versa, bones me so often. I can never tell if it's because I'm out of position and what I wanted to do won't work, or I fumbled the stick out of panic.

I would use left stick + XX but then I just end up trying to drop shot like a loser

Sometimes trick shots misfire. I often push left or right and instead move forward and backward. Its one of the few things that I cannot understand.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Managed to play the same Boo player in three consecutive rounds of A simple tournament since I'd managed to wait a bit between matches

Two good wins :/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still an incredible Bad online lol. I get to like 30 Love and then choke and lose 2 games in a row.

Might be because I'm still learning how to maneuver Chain Chomp, might be because I'm the worst :v:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Might I recommend coming onto the discord? We are more than willing to help you get better, and goon doubles is really fun, as well.

The discord server is https://discord.gg/4kvqfNR. Come say hi!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like this game would be so much better if trick shots didn’t exist.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RCarr posted:

I feel like this game would be so much better if trick shots didn’t exist.

I'm at this point too. High level play is endlessly farming meter with trick shots and that totally sucks and isn't fun.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yup. As said before, “trick shot” should only count as a desperation move that uses energy, and never gives you energy. Right now it has the benefit of farming energy and hits balls that are harder to return than most charged shots, all for flicking the stick at the general direction of the ball.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you know I almost wonder if the developers somehow didn't expect people to just trick shot 24/7

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Definitely remove the energy gain for doing a trick shot. Patch it out! Entirely!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Make trick shots burn meter no matter what but increase the energy gain for charged shots.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

make it so side tricks gain meter because you still gotta guess and predict for those, and make the cone for front and back tricks way more narrow. maybe even make them a straight line, i dunno

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen in normal play, but the COM tournaments are...weird. I kept losing meter for no apparent reason and barely gained any while the computer character would be at near-full charge all the time. There's nothing in normal tennis modes that makes your opponent LOSE meter, right?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
don't you lose meter if the opponent gets a charged shot and you counter it with the wrong type of shot?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

No, as far as I know, all countering does is keep you from getting knocked back as far.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
loving up the timing on a trick shot burns meter instead of building it. That's supposed to be what balances is buuuuut :shepface:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, the interaction I was seeing was I would charge up a shot, hit the ball across the court and gain some meter, then when the computer hits it back I LOST the meter I just gained. And sometimes a max-charge shot wouldn't give me meter, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The problem is there are a lot of situations where you can position yourself such that like I dunno how but you can like be around the net and get both lobs and drop shots successfully by just holding back on the stick so there's like no way to actually get anything past them, or at least this is how it seemed to me against a couple people that pulled it off

One thing I will say that seems to work is like fully charged lob shots will get around them better, sometimes it's ok to use a little bit of meter to make sure you get a fully charged shot off so that you can regain control of the momentum of the match and make them have to hard read instead of getting set up for these kinds of guaranteed trick shots

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 3, 2018