Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Yeah seriously. I've seen so many people be like this is super dark, nothing is sacred, yadda yadda and it's just... did they even pay attention? Not only is the achievement named metamorphosis but the sounds you hear are definitely not sad sounds, they're happy sounds. The game didn't pull some "sike u were bad" :twisted: twist, that would be super tonally inconsistent.

I totally disagree. Metamorphosis and the Grubberfly pin are both deliberately misleading setups to the punchline that he just ate them. It's funny. The happy one is the Grubfather himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I totally disagree. Metamorphosis and the Grubberfly pin are both deliberately misleading setups to the punchline that he just ate them. It's funny. The happy one is the Grubfather himself.

you can literally hear the grubs making happy sounds

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Grubfather endgame: Both now and at launch I saw people talking about the Grubfather eating the grubs or whatever. When I went back with all the grubs he just gave me the rewards and nothing happened. I left and came back and they were all just chilling there. Is there something I have to do to make whatever everyone else is seeing happen, happen?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rest at a bench.

Re: Grey Mourner, I tried the Fog Canyon path and it is MUCH better than trying to go through Greenpath. I hosed up the very last jump but that is on me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m going to guess you’re missing a grub or you hit a bug (lol). did you get the badge?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cowcaster posted:

i’m going to guess you’re missing a grub or you hit a bug (lol). did you get the badge?

Yeah, I definitely have all grubs. I'll try it having rested at a bunch as the post above yours suggested. Thanks.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Hey all, just picked this up for the switch like other gamers and I'm Loving It. It's such a lush game.

I'm only like, halfway into the game (just got the Dream Nail) and I understand that any answers would probably constitute spoilers, but I was reading that the dream stuff was added in a later DLC and was curious how the game handled that scene with the Sleepers before then. Was it just like...a short cutscene and then cutting back out to you in the graveyard?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

Hey all, just picked this up for the switch like other gamers and I'm Loving It. It's such a lush game.

I'm only like, halfway into the game (just got the Dream Nail) and I understand that any answers would probably constitute spoilers, but I was reading that the dream stuff was added in a later DLC and was curious how the game handled that scene with the Sleepers before then. Was it just like...a short cutscene and then cutting back out to you in the graveyard?

the dream mechanics existed from the start, they've just been expanded with time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

The dream gate and two dream bosses were added later, but everything else was there from the start.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Was the bee hive always there from the start? Just feels like an optional area they patched in after the fact.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It's always been there.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hive Knight is new but I think the Hive was an OG thing?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

^burtle posted:

Hive Knight is new but I think the Hive was an OG thing?

Yup, that's right. Hive was always there but the boss is new.

One of my favorite things about this game is that they have all these unique areas with unique art and assets and they just put them in a out of the way places that most people will miss. It really makes exploring rewarding when you stumble into a place like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had read that the hive had a visual redesign at some point? Is that true.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I wish the Switch version had re-mappable controls. When I played through last year on PC, I put slash on the left shoulder trigger, and it worked really well. I’m having trouble with nail arts now that it’s a button. Or, rather, I’m having trouble dashing and double jumping as naturally as I’d like while being charged for a nail art.

And was it always the case that soul doesn’t build up against Failed Champion, or is that new? I don’t remember that.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

veni veni veni posted:

I went in there with the dark dash and quick focus, so they were pretty much a piece cake all though it took me three tries still.

I think boss difficulty varies wildly on when you run into the fight, and what your personal weaknesses are. I think most of them have felt pretty much where I would want them to be. Like, Flukemarm is a nightmare if you go too early, but I came back more powered up and it dropped like a sack of potatoes in seconds. Nosk I just found a safe place to stand right after the fight started which game me plenty of time to heal and get a few hits in.

The only one I have been really drat stuck on, and still haven't beat is Crystal Guardian 2 which people have told me is the "easiest boss in the game" I think he's a loving nightmare. I have so much poo poo now I could probably go back and kill him pretty easy though, but I was at about 100 attempts when I gave up.

Crystal Guardian 2 is probably the boss I’ve seen the most complaints about in this thread and in surveys he ranks highly as one of the more difficult bosses.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's really weird because I would honestly rank him below the big city guard enemies. I have to assume it's down to people running around and making things harder on themselves instead of just hitting him.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Crystal guardian 2 is hard

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I think I brute forced it with quick nail and just power spammed it or something.

Might’ve dodged a few times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Darox posted:

It's really weird because I would honestly rank him below the big city guard enemies. I have to assume it's down to people running around and making things harder on themselves instead of just hitting him.
people who have trouble with bosses you didn't have trouble with aren't morons. Bosses in these games tend to punish different playstyles differently. It shouldn't be confusing that people approach bosses differently and are punished by different things...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
For a while I was able to get by with rushing bosses and mass attacking them while eating the hits, then trying to heal when I have a second. Doesn't work that well for the later bosses to I had to switch it up.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

people who have trouble with bosses you didn't have trouble with aren't morons. Bosses in these games tend to punish different playstyles differently. It shouldn't be confusing that people approach bosses differently and are punished by different things...
I didn't call anyone stupid.
People can have different experiences (l find Hollow Knight to be a more stressful fight than Radiance) but there's a pretty big gulf between 'one of the hardest bosses in the game' and 'easiest boss in the game, easier than several regular enemies'. Doing things the wrong way can make them harder (Stalking Devouts!) but its weird how big the gap is for the Crystal Guardian.

And yes I am including Gruz Mother, I'm more likely to be hit by her than Crystal Guardian 2.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

I had read that the hive had a visual redesign at some point? Is that true.

Yeah they added all the furniture and changed some of the backgrounds.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I think I brute forced it with quick nail and just power spammed it or something.

Might’ve dodged a few times.

Yeah that's how I beat him too. There's no time to heal so just build offense and bum rush him. If I remember right cause it's been a while, the beams do 2 damage but contact damage with him does 1, so its better to get in his grill than get hit by a laser. You only need to be able to dodge a few lasers that way which is easier cause the fight will be much shorter.

Also unless they fixed it I'm pretty sure the right most part of the room is safe from almost all of his attacks cept one or two of them

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 3, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Crystal Guardian 2 ranks down there with the Grey Sleeper's quest as stuff I will hold off as long as possible. I never used strategy on him I just whaled on him with whatever charm-combo meant I could win through attrition.

Has there been a good flowchart that lays out the critical path of the game, as well as side content, like how some guides did with Super Metroid and Zero Mission?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Also unless they fixed it I'm pretty sure the right most part of the room is safe from almost all of his attacks cept one or two of them

He only has two attacks total so I'm not sure that it would help much. The place to stand is directly in front of him one nail-length away so you can hurt him. He never blocks, counterattacks or moves suddenly and all his attacks are telegraphed so staying next to him is perfectly safe, plus his attacks are room-length lasers with no travel time so there's no reason to move away anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I eventually brute forced Crystal Guardian via fragile strength and he dropped in seconds . I honestly never got a rhythm with him and still consider him one of the hardest bosses in the game, sans just using cheap tactics by making myself op. Him and Traitor Lord have given me the most trouble by a pretty wide margin. I also think both of them are trash, or at the very least completely at odds with what I enjoy about the game. To me the fun of this game is learning patterns but also the brief openings for respite where you can reposition yourself or pop off a brief healing session and score an extra mask or 2.

I've found most of the bosses to be more forgiving in this aspect, and even if they are tough and I die, I walk off going "well, shouldn't have made that jump or got greedy with the healing. Better do x next time instead of y" and I'm generally enjoying myself. With those two I feel like I'm just getting slam hosed all over, taking double damage and getting hit a second time while I'm trying to get my wits about me. I even felt like I had a good grasp on what to do for both of them, but I'll get hit once and it's an instant snowball effect towards death. I found it much harder to avoid CG's lasers than some other people for some reason. Traitor lord is the same deal with the frisbees and double damage, not to mention the run to him is super annoying.

I think part of why I find them hard is that I just flat out don't enjoy them and don't want to fight them again because I don't feel like I'm actually making progress towards getting good at them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Lol, I finally beat traitor lord using hiveblood and spiderbros! I let the spiderbros and my NPC ally do all the work while I just concentrated on dodging.

:smug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually missed the ally :( wonder I can still go find him. Only talked to him once I think.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a point near the end of the game where, as far as I could tell, bosses stopped giving you the opportunity to heal, and while I bashed my head on it for a while, after getting past it, I appreciate how it's less of a more demanding execution like the dream bosses, it's just asking you to apply the skills you've been learning the whole game longer and more consistently.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I think part of why I find them hard is that I just flat out don't enjoy them and don't want to fight them again because I don't feel like I'm actually making progress towards getting good at them.

Don't worry. The important and most difficult fights in the game are not like that guy. They are absolutely not forgiving but do encourage you to learn the fight and make gradual progress until you get it. Then you want to fight them a couple more times just cause it feels good to execute the fight once you've learned it. Just don't mind all the deaths before that point though! My advice once you get to these kinds of fights (you'll know when you get there, they are all 2+ damage fights) is to focus safety over damage racing. If you can dodge all their attacks its a matter of time before you win but if you get reckless, getting hit even once can cause a chain reaction that can gently caress you over for the rest of the fight.

Also for the ally you can still find them. It's just you can't finish their arc now that the traitor lord is dead.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Ok, I guess I got a bad ending, that particular boss wasn't *too* hard.

Reloaded my save after being very salty about it, and took down Traitor Lord (good fight) and Failed Knight (garbage fight designed by garbage jerks), trying to find the next big boss fight after Traitor Lord but I've lost sight of any rails I had leading me around.

Also, it doesn't help vs. Crystal Guardian or Failed Knight but in my experience bosses are trivialized by spitting flukes all over them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For some dumb reason I thought the dream fights were all end/post game difficulty, so I ignored them until the end of the game. had no idea a bunch of them were really easy. Wish I had just tried some earlier on, because they give you a ton of wagon wheel macaroni ,which I could have used, because I've been like 700 shy of the dream gate for the whole game. Went from 300 I'd farmed from those trees, to 800 in under 5 minutes.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The trick to cheesing the failed champion with flukes is using the dream nail (and dream nail charm) to recover all your soul between rounds by nailing his dumb face. The flailing attack he does whenever he recovers lasts long enough for you to knock him down again with a full volley of flukes, so after you get him down once you can just trap him in a loop.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mister No posted:

Ok, I guess I got a bad ending, that particular boss wasn't *too* hard.

Reloaded my save after being very salty about it, and took down Traitor Lord (good fight) and Failed Knight (garbage fight designed by garbage jerks), trying to find the next big boss fight after Traitor Lord but I've lost sight of any rails I had leading me around.

Also, it doesn't help vs. Crystal Guardian or Failed Knight but in my experience bosses are trivialized by spitting flukes all over them.

Get more dream essence.

If you need more direction After you get a certain amount of essence you'll be able to awaken the dream nail which will let you use it on some things you weren't able to before. Enjoy the "fun" of the section that comes after that.

If you need even more Go to Ancient Basin after you awaken the nail

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 3, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

For some dumb reason I thought the dream fights were all end/post game difficulty, so I ignored them until the end of the game. had no idea a bunch of them were really easy. Wish I had just tried some earlier on, because they give you a ton of wagon wheel macaroni ,which I could have used, because I've been like 700 shy of the dream gate for the whole game. Went from 300 I'd farmed from those trees, to 800 in under 5 minutes.

The dream fights are endgame difficulty. The ghost warriors are not. Go fight all them and get you some good stuff!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Yooooo are there any checkpoints in the Path of Pain? I thought I was hot poo poo beating the White Palace.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boosh! posted:

Yooooo are there any checkpoints in the Path of Pain? I thought I was hot poo poo beating the White Palace.

Nope. Staying alive isn't an issue thanks to the infinite soul statues but there's no stopping once you've started.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dumb question: do you get anything for maxing out your bank account? I’m thinking of Majora’s Mask where you get a piece of heart for depositing 5000 rupees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Dumb question: do you get anything for maxing out your bank account? I’m thinking of Majora’s Mask where you get a piece of heart for depositing 5000 rupees.

Yes you get a pretty good ROI once you max it out.