Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm still keeping up with Railgun, it's not gotten bad or anything but there hasn't been too much of note to talk about in the last arc or two. But sure looks like they're gearing up for another big 'un as of this latest chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Railgun is so weird. I've read it off and on over time and have no context outside of the series itself, I think there's other series related to it, like Index? But I've never read those and heard they're bad. And it goes from hijinks to synchronized murdergirls within a single panel a lot of the time. It's very tone-whiplashy. That said, the fights are pretty amazing, my favorite is the Hunter girl vs the booby trap girl in the beret, in the mall. The final shot with Hunter girl having a bunch of grenades shoved into her mouth as she falls out a window and explodes in midair was INSANELY BRUTAL, I literally said HOLY poo poo! when I saw that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Index is the main series, yeah, and while I'm not really an expert on it what I have seen and what others have talked about with it does not paint a particularly kind image. Dunno if that's changed at some point because the are like 60+ light novel volumes or whatever. Railgun feels better to me because it focuses purely on the science/esper stories and it more or less focuses on one main cast rather than the hodgepodge/revolving door of Index where important characters gently caress off and disappear for volumes/seasons on end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
index is pretty bad, since it focuses on an insanely boring preachy mc who deals with insanely boring magic bullshit. there are other problems with index, but we'd be here all week if i started trying to list them all.

railgun is good, because it is mostly about a society which values scientific progress above all else, the main cast who are part of that society and the high concept disasters which result from science completely divorced from morality. the less serious parts are fun, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well most recent chapter of hinomaru is interesting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

railgun is good, because it is mostly about a society which values scientific progress above all else, the main cast who are part of that society and the high concept disasters which result from science completely divorced from morality. the less serious parts are fun, too.
it also deals with magic cards that you go to sleep with attached to your forehead and they make your boobs bigger

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kubo Tite is doing a new one shot in July called Burn The Witch. Link

I'm pretty excited cause I like his art and design work, and short form is great for him. Also Burn The Witch is such a good name.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the blonde girl's mouth weirds me out. what is that expression supposed to be?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm pretty excited cause I like his art and design work, and short form is great for him. Also Burn The Witch is such a good name.

Definitely-Not-Girl-Byakuya in the background is thicc af

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Ichigo let his hair grow.

But yeah, I like Kubota art a lot as well. Bleach had some stunning scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with a one-shot, kubo won't have enough time to go into extreme fart-huffing mode

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
we can't study end of the festival arc

And so the festival arc ends. I really enjoyed. It was funny and sweet.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I hope they do more longer arcs like this. This was a fun ride.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So this is obviously going to be a new girl, right?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Definitely-Not-Girl-Byakuya in the background is thicc af

I just checked and it’s true.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

So this is obviously going to be a new girl, right?

It was Uruka

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Eden's Zero chapter 2

In which Happy is a gun two guns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TriffTshngo posted:

Eden's Zero chapter 2

fairy tail 2 and erza is the villain maybe

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

the blonde girl's mouth weirds me out. what is that expression supposed to be?

I call it "mayuri"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

Eden's Zero chapter 2

Eh, I liked it. I've read enough Tezuka to not be urked by stuff like Erza cast as Luluco's mom.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2018

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Space Tale

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jose posted:

fairy tail 2 and erza is the villain maybe

Assuming she's even a villain, she'll be the villain for like 20 chapters before turning into a member of the Adventurer's Guild. I hope the guild is also named "Eden Zero."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Fairy Tail 2: Now with cosmic baps.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

are we being UQ holdered

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This would've been instacanceled if literally anyone but mashima was writing it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

other series' have lasted a while with reused characters and it's not even close to as bland/poorly written as something like junk the black shadow (which had one of the worst opening chapters I've read in a while)

I don't trust it to be good in the long run but these initial chapters have been fine

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

other series' have lasted a while with reused characters and it's not even close to as bland/poorly written as something like junk the black shadow (which had one of the worst opening chapters I've read in a while)

I don't trust it to be good in the long run but these initial chapters have been fine

Now you got me curious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

about junk? it's not bad in an interesting way. it's just black clover if it was more generic and not as well written

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Read the first chapter of that Battle Secretary manga, giving me early Hitman Reborn vibes in the best possible way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

about junk? it's not bad in an interesting way. it's just black clover if it was more generic and not as well written

I'm just curious about the opening chapter, but I was expecting something trashy, not super generic and boring.

I read the Eden Zero chapter and I'm going to stick with it, but there's reusing character design and then there's just slightly changing the name of one your past characters.

Elcy Crimson sounds like the name of a Chinese knock off action figure.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait is that literally her name? I may be biased because I like Erza, but that's so dumb it wraps back around to being great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Wait is that literally her name? I may be biased because I like Erza, but that's so dumb it wraps back around to being great.

Gonna be honest I would be a lot more into this if there wasn't an guild and it was more about Rebecca and Happy advancing their Space Youtube career.

Also find it funny that Junk the Black Shadow and Eden Zero both use Granbell as a location name.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
tokyo ghoul re; ended, with blurbs on the fates of all the characters (most of whom i wager no one remembers) of note. some of the characters still had arcs to go through but got left by the wayside. no threequel. apparently this released before it was published i n japan so all the "fan" sites are begging people not to tell the author on twitter heh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you want especially egregious copying of older character designs, check out ga-rei and that author's later series'. tho my favorite part is how he just straight up takes movie characters and puts them in his manga. the best one is literally yoda wearing a panda costume (his name is even yoda in the manga):

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, there are artists that will reuse designs sometimes, especially faces. Urasawa's a pretty well-known example of this

but when Epsilon showed up in Pluto he wasn't named Lohan Jiebert and he wasn't a hyper-charismatic serial killer

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The iconic Urasawa lovely old man face

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elcy Crimson is hilariously on the nose, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes full on AU (Edolas style) at some point in this and drags in (more like dragons in lol) the original cast for an arc or two.

I am down with Cat Guns, that flashback got dark for a bit there. And gravity control is neat. And gently caress it, I read Fairy Tail at its worst so I can deal with anything Eden Zero can throw at me, it's mindless fun and that's not so bad. I don't read Mashima for plot, I read it for punch time explosions and boobs and Eden Zero delivers.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 3, 2018

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Read the first chapter of that Battle Secretary manga, giving me early Hitman Reborn vibes in the best possible way.
Google can’t find this, what’s it called?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Seiji Tanaka
by Keiji Amatsuka

It debuted in last week's English Jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Relin posted:

tokyo ghoul re; ended, with blurbs on the fates of all the characters (most of whom i wager no one remembers) of note.
Man you aren't kidding. I recognize maybe one third of the characters.

By far the best part is Naki and Miza's kids.