Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People enjoy Deus Ex for different reasons, so your criticism is valid. What I enjoy is the gameplay and exploration, and for me that had nothing to do with the plot. The plot of Deus Ex was never anything special to me because there was so much I wanted it to do, but it didn't. Namely, the fact that nonlethal stops being factored after the first part of the game, you couldn't stay with UNATCO, saving Paul didn't really do anything and was super buggy. I once had to save Paul in the hotel but I had this bug where as soon as I wasn't physically looking at Paul he would just vanish from the game.

Open world games are similar for me. I tend to engage with the gameplay stuff and ignore the plot for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

:tipshat:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So I just learned something new (because that happens every time you play Deus Ex):
You can actually skip the Castle Clinton objective entirely and never recover the Ambrosia! Just go straight to the subway, rescue the hostages and travel to Hell's Kitchen.
Then you can complete all the objectives there and return to UNATCO, at which point Manderly and Navarre will get really pissy with you. There's also a nice little exchange with Carter where JC talks about how he decided he couldn't work with someone who talks about "slaughtering".
You can also skip meeting Alex on your first visit to UNATCO, but that doesn't appear to have any actual effect.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

The_White_Crane posted:

So I just learned something new (because that happens every time you play Deus Ex):
You can actually skip the Castle Clinton objective entirely and never recover the Ambrosia! Just go straight to the subway, rescue the hostages and travel to Hell's Kitchen.
Then you can complete all the objectives there and return to UNATCO, at which point Manderly and Navarre will get really pissy with you. There's also a nice little exchange with Carter where JC talks about how he decided he couldn't work with someone who talks about "slaughtering".
You can also skip meeting Alex on your first visit to UNATCO, but that doesn't appear to have any actual effect.

I hate that i cannot bring myself to skip anything at NYC since the munchkin needs that quest completion XP

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The_White_Crane posted:

Try sneaking or running for the train doors without bothering to rescue the hostages.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Try sneaking or running for the train doors without bothering to rescue the hostages.

:aaa: I wish I'd thought of that!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Try following Simons down to the prisoner interview in UNATCO.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BrandorKP posted:

Try following Simons down to the prisoner interview in UNATCO.

Get in the cells too. There are good people in there.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Try running away from Simmons whenever you see him near the end of the game. Every encounter with him after you leave UNATCO is completely optional.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Another thing that blew my 10 year old brain was expecting a crazy boss fight with Simmons, firing the GEP gun, and having him just loving explode into gibs. I was so used to "gamey", ultra-scripted boss encounters where suddenly a human being would have the hitpoints of a dozen armored robots and you'd need to hit the glowing weak point to win. It was amazing to play a game where the systems always held true.

That's part of the reason I thought Human Revolution was kinda garbage. Ten years later, we somehow went backwards with ultra-gamey boss encounters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm pretty sure that if you gave Simons time to juice up, he would have used that Shield aug that blows up explosives. Sounds like you tagged him before he got a chance

It's also weird that you say that about Human Revolution because the gamey boss tactic is just to blast them immediately with the Typhon and they instantly drop

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

friendly 2 da void posted:

Another thing that blew my 10 year old brain was expecting a crazy boss fight with Simmons, firing the GEP gun, and having him just loving explode into gibs. I was so used to "gamey", ultra-scripted boss encounters where suddenly a human being would have the hitpoints of a dozen armored robots and you'd need to hit the glowing weak point to win. It was amazing to play a game where the systems always held true.

That's part of the reason I thought Human Revolution was kinda garbage. Ten years later, we somehow went backwards with ultra-gamey boss encounters.
That was one of my memories from my first Deus Ex play-through too.

Just one more thing that made the game great, and that future games in the genre failed to "get."

Nomenclature fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 3, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you gave Simons time to juice up, he would have used that Shield aug that blows up explosives. Sounds like you tagged him before he got a chance

Yeah, he does exactly that, in fact. Aggressive Defense should shoot down incoming GEP rounds, so you have to be either really close or shoot him before he has it up. Never been able to use plasma on him either, he's got energy shield.

I do also really love that about the 'bosses' in the game though, they're not really that much tougher than a normal enemy, they just have more tools. Anna and Gunther are the same way. It's a part of the same design philsophy that says when you shoot someone in the head with a pistol they should die; unless they're wearing a helmet, then it takes two hits. Improving your skills with guns just makes you more accurate, and I like that.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Nomenclature posted:

That was one of my memories from my first Deus Ex play-through too.

Just one more thing that made the game great, and that future games in the genre failed to "get."

The bosses in the original game always felt like more of a consequence of the engine than anything else, considering that the final boss is an invincible puzzle boss nestled in a sprawling maze of infinitely-respawning enemies and the game also ends with you hitting one of three buttons just like Human Revolution is criticized for.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I... are you talking about Bob Page? I don't think I would call him a "boss".

Also you are supposed to turn the infinite enemies off, are you not?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Erotic Wakes posted:

The bosses in the original game always felt like more of a consequence of the engine than anything else, considering that the final boss is an invincible puzzle boss nestled in a sprawling maze of infinitely-respawning enemies and the game also ends with you hitting one of three buttons just like Human Revolution is criticized for.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that it's not the engine, since it's Unreal Engine and Unreal had very traditional-style boss fights in it, and a robust trigger system.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I mean, I guess he's a boss in that he is the owner and chairman of Versalife and the literal managerial supervisor of the antagonists.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Fun Note I found with my like 5th playthrough: sawn-off shotgun is surprisingly deadly. You can totally take on Every non-robot enemy in game with it and rifle skill high.

Also am I the only one who mariostomped the Chinese boss chick to death with speed enhancement? Because lvl3 onward you jump high enough to do damage and lvl 4 you can instakill humans without taking damage If you have a ledge

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Valtonen posted:

Fun Note I found with my like 5th playthrough: sawn-off shotgun is surprisingly deadly. You can totally take on Every non-robot enemy in game with it and rifle skill high.

Also am I the only one who mariostomped the Chinese boss chick to death with speed enhancement? Because lvl3 onward you jump high enough to do damage and lvl 4 you can instakill humans without taking damage If you have a ledge

With sabot ammo you also take every robot enemy too. And modding 90-100 accuracy on the sawn off is, uh. Not how shotguns work IRL, but I'm glad thats how it works in DX.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's also weird that you say that about Human Revolution because the gamey boss tactic is just to blast them immediately with the Typhon and they instantly drop

Yeah I shot him from super far away because I was scared to get close.

Human Revolution locked you in a room after a cutscene. It's not the same and you know it. :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

With sabot ammo you also take every robot enemy too. And modding 90-100 accuracy on the sawn off is, uh. Not how shotguns work IRL, but I'm glad thats how it works in DX.

It's a really, really, aggressive choke! You, uh, pretty much just unsaw-off the shotgun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

To be fair the HR team said the boss fights were last minute and poorly done, and they revised them later. They wouldn't argue with you about them being bad, and they didn't make that mistake again in the next game.

I don't mind a mistake so much when it's owned up to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

To be fair the HR team said the boss fights were last minute and poorly done, and they revised them later. They wouldn't argue with you about them being bad, and they didn't make that mistake again in the next game.

I don't mind a mistake so much when it's owned up to.

It was also a different studio.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Get in the cells too. There are good people in there.

I did that one already.

This may be dependent on Shifter or an unmodded game because I couldn't replicate it on GMDX, but if you stand really close to one of the prisoners and use some cigarettes, JC will blow smoke in their face and they will instantly drop dead, which makes Simons' "Jesus Christ, Denton!" really apt.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Downloaded MD to my xbox and ran into an apparently common bug where, after you get your augs and the overclocking system and all that, suddenly you can't use any of that. And it doesn't matter if I reload a previous save, it still happens. I suppose I can reinstall the whole game but it really just made me say gently caress it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Late into the game or in the intro

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

Late into the game or in the intro

Like two, three hours or something like that into the game, where you go into the basement of the library or whatever it was

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Nameless Mod is good but yeah the plot/audio is a bit hilarious

edit: I always found it a bit funny that people didn't know about the couple at the 'Ton because they didn't manage to save them from the hostage situation.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 4, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've run into a bug in deus ex shifter: several times now when doing some inventory tetris and dropping something big like the GEP gun, I've ended up with item duplication. This wouldn't be so bad but I also have a situation where I'm full on tazer ammo (can't pick any more up) while simultaneously the tazer only has 7 shots left in it. I'm still only in hell's kitchen so I can restart but I want to be certain this bug won't pop up once I get to Hong Kong for example

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Lemon-Lime posted:

Biomod is still better than Shifter. :colbert:

IIRC Biomod removed Shifter's skulgun aug, so Shifter is better hth

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Grillfiend posted:

I'm 99% sure it doesn't but it's been a while since I last replayed the game. There's nothing in the biomod readme about removing it, at least. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grillfiend posted:

IIRC Biomod removed Shifter's skulgun aug
Nope.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe the people who are incapable of recognising the rightful superiority of Biomod would go so far as to spread malicious, slandering lies like this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Grillfiend posted:

u biomad?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I never really used Biomod much because I liked shifter's extra skill points system for kills/doing poo poo more and I could never recall offhand how to turn that back on with biomod.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

I never really used Biomod much because I liked shifter's extra skill points system for kills/doing poo poo more and I could never recall offhand how to turn that back on with biomod.

It's in the biomod readme:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was never a fan of that. It really encourages you to kill as many people as you can for XP reasons, which feels wrong in DX. That's one of the things I never liked about the new series of games either.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

aniviron posted:

I was never a fan of that. It really encourages you to kill as many people as you can for XP reasons, which feels wrong in DX. That's one of the things I never liked about the new series of games either.
Wasn't there some sort of reward for sneaking near people and letting them live?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't there some sort of reward for sneaking near people and letting them live?

Yes there is and the game gives you plenty of praxis points regardless of approach so you can still play how you want and be rewarded. If you’re a min maxer that’s a different issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

Yes there is and the game gives you plenty of praxis points regardless of approach so you can still play how you want and be rewarded. If you’re a min maxer that’s a different issue.

Care to elaborate on that? I'm a freaky OCD completionist type, which is the major reason I've never played a Pokemon game in my life.