Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still using a Justice/Mab combo for Guild Wars and they're severely lacking after Glaycion and the undead dwarf king arrived. What are some alternatives for all-blue teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Well I sailed through 4 fights almost completely untouched with Forest Troll, Apothacary, Khorvash and Hyndla but the guy with the divine team today wiped me on turn 3.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just started on iOS, are there any good newbie guides for getting cool monsters and stuff? Also wtf I got a treasure map and had no idea what I was doing lol rip

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Xun posted:

I just started on iOS, are there any good newbie guides for getting cool monsters and stuff? Also wtf I got a treasure map and had no idea what I was doing lol rip

Step 1: join a guild. You get tons more stuff in a guild than you could on your own. One Goon guild is full, but the other should have open spots. Turambar?

Step 2: don’t stress out over maximizing treasure maps. Eventually you’ll get so many you won’t be able to use them all.

Step 3: cards that transform one color into another are incredibly useful at most stages of the game. Alchemist, Valkyrie, Green Seer, etc. If you wait until you can get a 4- or 5-match from a cast, you can fill your heavy hitters and keep the turn.

Step 4: if you are flush with cash, the Deathknight armor pack isn’t the worst way to spend money in the game. More efficient is daily gems, though you can only have one active at a time. Then save up for the 500-gem Dragon Armor.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
The other guild, Gem Blossums, has plenty of room. Somewhere I can't seem to remember you can find some sort of invite code, post it here and someone will send you an invite to the guild. While I imagine we don't get quite as much free poo poo as the main guild it's still a pretty sizable amount of stuff each week, especially for a new player.

Newish player question: I have my Dragon Armor now, what's generally my next best use of gems when I'm new? The weekly Bounty/Boss Killing Troops? Soulforge jewels? Just straight up buying the bulk gem keys? Also, I've been spending all my glory on the event key bundles after getting the new troop each week, is this the best way to spend it right now?

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

This did not go well...

E: I didn't know health capped out at 1000. I do now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Should I be focusing on doing the quests when I’m just starting out? Or should I try to fight dudes in constructed pvp as soon as possible?

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014
Hi, any chance of an invite to the Gem Blossoms guild? I'm a new (level 87) player, but active. I was in a random guild but it was completely inactive so I left it. My invite code is MRTUNDRA_GWFD
tia

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Xun posted:

Should I be focusing on doing the quests when I’m just starting out? Or should I try to fight dudes in constructed pvp as soon as possible?

Do quests + unlock all the kingdoms + level all kingdoms to 3, 5 and then 10 to maximize your tributes. Finishing a kingdom's quest unlocks a troop (often not very good, sadly) but more importantly unlocks Explore mode for that kingdom.

The benefit of doing PVP (besides fun) is to get Glory, which is then used to unlock new troops (but really to buy traitstones en masse). It's more of a mid-game concern.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Disillusionist posted:

Do quests + unlock all the kingdoms + level all kingdoms to 3, 5 and then 10 to maximize your tributes. Finishing a kingdom's quest unlocks a troop (often not very good, sadly) but more importantly unlocks Explore mode for that kingdom.

The benefit of doing PVP (besides fun) is to get Glory, which is then used to unlock new troops (but really to buy traitstones en masse). It's more of a mid-game concern.

Wait how do you use Glory to buy traitstones?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait how do you use Glory to buy traitstones?

To clarify, you buy multiple packs of the Event Troop for that week in order to get multiples of that specific Arcane traitstone (in order to trait a different troop requiring it, usually.)

So it's limited to one (rarely two) traitstones a week but it's really useful if you're trying to trait a legendary or mythic because it saves a lot of grinding.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Glory is primarily used for purchasing multiple copies of the weekly event troop. The gold is useful, the event troops can vary wildly from useless to awesome, but the arcane traitstones can save hours of grinding. (Some people spend glory on the Spoils of War event key bundle, but it isn’t something I do regularly.)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks everyone! Oh and should I worry about which color to pick as I level up? I’ve just been trying to keep them relatively even and I assume I can’t have hosed anything up this early.

Someone invite me to a goon guild! My invite code is xun468_kcwv

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Xun posted:

Thanks everyone! Oh and should I worry about which color to pick as I level up? I’ve just been trying to keep them relatively even and I assume I can’t have hosed anything up this early.

I keep them even; you generally use all the colors in the late-game so having high gem masteries in all colors is beneficial.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Hey, I'm lazy and bad at picking teams - what are you guys using on the Class Event?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

porktree posted:

Hey, I'm lazy and bad at picking teams - what are you guys using on the Class Event?

Came to ask this. Don't have krystenax.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I'm using Lord Ember/TDS/Divinia/Dragotaur, so far so good but I'm not terribly far yet.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
The Dragon Soul
Flesh Ripper (Dragon class Hero)
Asha
Lord Ember

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Disillusionist posted:

The Dragon Soul
Flesh Ripper (Dragon class Hero)
Asha
Lord Ember

That's what I needed - thanks all.

edit: Oh, drat, spamming the Dragon Soul is spectacular.

porktree fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 28, 2018

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Flesh Ripper is totally unnecessary. I spent 100 gems and played until I ran out of tokens and never once encountered a troop with a higher starting life total. YMMV, but just use a weapon that will hit everything.

Lord Ember
War & Peace(Dragon Guard) - or - Asha
The Dragon Soul
Divinia

I lost one troop and switched to casting Divinia over Lord Ember for the life gain. It's probably not worth another 300 gems to push for the final tier for the Orb.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MrTundra posted:

Hi, any chance of an invite to the Gem Blossoms guild? I'm a new (level 87) player, but active. I was in a random guild but it was completely inactive so I left it. My invite code is MRTUNDRA_GWFD
tia

Xun posted:

Thanks for joining the secondary Goon Guild. I promoted you both so you can enjoy invasions and the potential for more loot.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Flesh Ripper is totally unnecessary. I spent 100 gems and played until I ran out of tokens and never once encountered a troop with a higher starting life total. YMMV, but just use a weapon that will hit everything.

Lord Ember
War & Peace(Dragon Guard) - or - Asha
The Dragon Soul
Divinia

I lost one troop and switched to casting Divinia over Lord Ember for the life gain. It's probably not worth another 300 gems to push for the final tier for the Orb.

Bah, I've spent 1k of gems trying to draw Divinia - I've got 7 more battles in the event, and no more sigils - no losses so far. Like you I don't think I'll spend any more to advance.

Also, in tragic news I used an orb to get the first trait on some troop this morning. I nearly wept.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Ubastet I hate you.

I'm mostly mad because I didn't get one for myself.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Depends posted:

Ubastet I hate you.

Replace Ubastet with Dragon Soul and Pharos Ra and you got me.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I pulled 2 more TDS this week with event keys, finally made mine mythic.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Depends posted:

Ubastet I hate you.

This, but also Divine Protector, wherever the gently caress that weapon came from (and is likely to never appear again if it's like other special event weapons).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
It was from an Invasion week for Divines.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How do I get souls to level my cards with? I have been doing quests but now that the enemies are level 7 I have just barely enough souls to level one team to that, which I don't think is right?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Xun posted:

How do I get souls to level my cards with? I have been doing quests but now that the enemies are level 7 I have just barely enough souls to level one team to that, which I don't think is right?

Certain troops let you gain souls when you caat their spell. Pharos Ra is the best, Valkyrie is pretty good, and there are a handful of others, The Dragon Soul is pretty good too. .

Other troops can unlock the Necromancy trait, which grants an extra 50% souls. Armor can provide a bonus as well, as can your guild.

Combining these two yields a nice soul gain. A good early game team is Warlock x3 and Valkyrie.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I need another break from this game, it is starting to feel like a chore and I will soon be without internet access for a while.

I will probably be back at some point. :)

(Bondski is my name in game, I will quit myself)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Dang. Sorry to see you go. We’ll probably still be here when you get the itch again. Devs just did a stream on the future of GoW, and they are targeting PvP as a facet of the game that will be improved next.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Ok, so what are you using for this weeks Raid Boss - I've got:

Mang +3 Archer
Kraken ***
Scurvy Seadog ***
Kendrala BloodJewel (who thinks of these names?) *

All are Mythic except Kendrala and Seadog; I can't bare to spend the gems to get her past Legendary. Or trait her past the first trait.

So far up to level 165 with no losses. I have to hit the boss once with Mang and twice with Kendrala.

I welcome suggestions.

porktree fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 2, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I've got nothing really. Unleveled Mang, Kraken, Scurvy dog, and a shoktopus. Literally all level 5 and like no souls.

When should I be selling troops I don't use for souls so I can level up other things? Is there a way to do so in bulk?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I've got nothing really. Unleveled Mang, Kraken, Scurvy dog, and a shoktopus. Literally all level 5 and like no souls.

When should I be selling troops I don't use for souls so I can level up other things? Is there a way to do so in bulk?

Honestly I wouldn't sell troops for souls until they are ascended to Mythic and you have more than 4 copies. You get a paltry amount of souls for selling.

Early on, gold keys, Arena, and any soul-generating troops are much better ways to get souls.

As far as I know the only way to mass-sell is to select "Disenchant all" and it will only sell your extra copies of mythics.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

porktree posted:

Ok, so what are you using for this weeks Raid Boss - I've got:

Mang +3 Archer
Kraken ***
Scurvy Seadog ***
Kendrala BloodJewel (who thinks of these names?) *

All are Mythic except Kendrala and Seadog; I can't bare to spend the gems to get her past Legendary. Or trait her past the first trait.

So far up to level 165 with no losses. I have to hit the boss once with Mang and twice with Kendrala.

I welcome suggestions.

Mechanist Mang would be better, if you have it traited. Shocktopus is a Mech as well.

This is a fairly terrible raid for troops. Kraken is great, but can't devour the boss. It only gets worse from there. No tanks, no summoners. Just a bad Mercy and a bad God-Killer.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

voodoo dog posted:

I need another break from this game, it is starting to feel like a chore and I will soon be without internet access for a while.

I will probably be back at some point. :)

(Bondski is my name in game, I will quit myself)
I was starting to get back into it, no that the arena runs actually have more variety, and I don't get matched up against every jerk with a Dawnbringer.

Then today's update broke the the daily quests I was having fun making crazy teams to fulfil. :downsgun:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm playing around with

Dragon Guard Mang
Sea Dog
Skull beard
Event Troop

With the Urskaya banner. This week is going to be annoying.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Mechanist Mang would be better, if you have it traited. Shocktopus is a Mech as well.

I do, but I’m not gonna blow 50 gems to change it ;)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I will do my best to contribute, but I also accept that this week is crappy.

Still liking the Divine Ubastet team for PVP. I can actually grind gold that way at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

limited posted:

I was starting to get back into it, no that the arena runs actually have more variety, and I don't get matched up against every jerk with a Dawnbringer.

Then today's update broke the the daily quests I was having fun making crazy teams to fulfil. :downsgun:

My quests weren't updating but restarting the app updated and completed them, I received the rewards as soon as I opened it back up.