Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terrible Opinions posted:

Politics and grand plans of the first season were bad because most of the jobbers lacked personality or enthusiasm. Princess crazy face and the lizardmen who are clearly the heroes of a shonen show fixed that for the most part.

It's really funny because when the LNs were being translated a lot of people in various places complained bitterly about the lizardman arc as taking too much time away from Nazarick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Nobody seems to like the lizardmen arc right away, it's usually only in reflection people think highly of it. Even reading comments on the anime people were going "what does this have to do with Ainz?!"

I think it's a brilliant set up that takes a bit to soak in. It still has everything to do with Ainz and gang, but it's about another perspective of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I loved it from the word go, but my favorite parts of Overlord are the side characters. It's hard for me to really like or invest in the Nazarick characters because they have no struggle to overcome or arc to complete because of their invulnerability and power, but the author is pretty good at side characters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Lizardmen arc was great because the anime (haven't read the novels) made sure to show that the Lizard Shonen Adventure was gonna get their fight on against the Nazaricks no problemo. Sebas was also surprisingly fun as an MC whenever he got the spotlight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sebas was great because he couldn't quite reconcile his basic decency with his absolute loyalty to a kinda lovely dude

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He reconciled it by letting the absolute loyalty win out completely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kanos posted:

He reconciled it by letting the absolute loyalty win out completely.

yeah, but he struggled a bit first

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Besides, I can't really get mad with the Punchmaster. He punches, and heads fly, explode, or get caved-in.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

If you dislike jobbers, this is not the show for you. If you find it interesting despite the fact, you'll have a good time.
I just want jobbers with enthusiasm.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
People are gonna love the stuff with Enri. Also the stuff with the emperor.

They probably will not love the Worker Arc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

People are gonna love the stuff with Enri. Also the stuff with the emperor.

They probably will not love the Worker Arc.

I think it gets kind of a bad rap. There was a good bit of it that I did like, and the ending wasn't even that bad. It's nothing like volume 13 chapter 1. gently caress that poo poo was much worse to me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

I think it gets kind of a bad rap. There was a good bit of it that I did like, and the ending wasn't even that bad. It's nothing like volume 13 chapter 1. gently caress that poo poo was much worse to me.
Well it's way worse in the web novel, but this is the first time Ainz and co do something really awful to an empathetic group of good characters that we get backgrounds on who aren't lizards- and there's no take backs like with them.

The rear end in a top hat worker party is fairly cathartic but the more neutral ones get it pretty horrifically.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 2, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

It gets a bad wrap because it takes up most of a volume and has effectively no payoff besides "Hey, world, Nazarick exists!", which could have been done with some faceless mooks offscreen.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know why, but this silly show captivates me like no other. I'm really looking forward to see what antics these insanely overpowered tyrants get up to next season. That being said, I'm annoyed at how hollow Albedo's, and to a lesser extent Aura and Mare's, presence has been for two whole seasons. Will any of them get a bigger part anytime soon or will they remain as a gimmicky background characters for a while? (I've been avoiding spoilers)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I don't know why, but this silly show captivates me like no other. I'm really looking forward to see what antics these insanely overpowered tyrants get up to next season. That being said, I'm annoyed at how hollow Albedo's, and to a lesser extent Aura and Mare's, presence has been for two whole seasons. Will any of them get a bigger part anytime soon or will they remain as a gimmicky background characters for a while? (I've been avoiding spoilers)

Albedo develops as a side plot, though it's slow burn and may not see much payoff next season depending on how much they decide to adapt and what they decide to portray. Aura will be doing some stuff in the next part, though neither Aura nor Mare are really major characters; they're mostly supporting cast members.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Negatory on all three if I am remembering which books are which correctly. Aura gets more "screentime" in one of the later volumes but ymmv on if it makes her any less hollow.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It seems likely Aura and Mare will get a whole big adventure at some point. The author has been foreshadowing the country of the elves for awhile now. Nothing has happened with it yet though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They got a small adventure on the audio book, which I recommend people watch/read. Uses the same cast as the anime.

Albedo isn't getting much development because she's just made to fill in for Demiurge and is a fanservice character.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

That's a shame. I figured, going by how these past two seasons were constructed, that each arc would be dedicated to fleshing out a different Guardian, like with Shalltear and her rampage/mind-control or Cocytus and the Lizardmen. Feels like wasted potential to let some of the major side characters remain sidelined, but there's enough at least to keep me engaged with this campy power-fantasy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

They got a small adventure on the audio book, which I recommend people watch/read. Uses the same cast as the anime.

Albedo isn't getting much development because she's just made to fill in for Demiurge and is a fanservice character.

Not quite the role she was doing was originally filled by Demiurge, but Albedo was an extra addition, while Demiurge is still very active. As a result Albedo does not do too much.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Season 3 off to a good start.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it funny that Ainz accidentally made Albedo's Bicorn mount useless by changing her settings.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 10, 2018

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I wanted more Albedo and I guess wish fulfilled...? Regardless, I really enjoyed this filler-ish episode. It's the little things that make this show really appealing to me, like the Lizardmen making a cameo and Zenberu (and the brother I assume) being revived, Solution desiring innocent people to satisfy her hatred for Tuare, and Mare taking advice from Cixous on how to flatter Ains (revealing that everyone knows he's practicing kingship).

Also the opening song is as excellent as always.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 10, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ainz doing his villlain practice ftw

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How is the quality for this episode? I remember the last episode of S2 having gutter-animation.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's Mad House, so uh, good?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It's Mad House, so uh, good?

Grouchio posted:

How is the quality for this episode? I remember the last episode of S2 having gutter-animation.
I believe the implication was "is there any more of the really bad cg and fire effects".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The CG at the end of season 2 was used sparingly and wasn't as awful as say Berserk's cg animation, so I dunno. It doesn't really bother me if it used in a clever manner.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

The CG at the end of season 2 was used sparingly and wasn't as awful as say Berserk's cg animation, so I dunno. It doesn't really bother me if it used in a clever manner.

There is going to be at least one more large battle scene SPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLAT where we're almost see more CG. Can't speak for the quality of it though obviously.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

linall posted:

There is going to be at least one more large battle scene SPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLATSPLAT where we're almost see more CG. Can't speak for the quality of it though obviously.

At least two, the battle for Cairne Village is also in the OP.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

"Not as bad as Berserk's cg" is something that literally everyone should be able to clear. It's like saying that the Pacing in Jurassic World isn't bad because it's better than Birdemic's. Like Overlord's cg isn't a deal-breaker for me but it is certainly a noticeable drop in quality from their normal animation, and it'd be nice if it could be avoided. Though I know the stupidity of the anime production schedule means that it's necessity.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

At least two, the battle for Cairne Village is also in the OP.

Ah, good catch. I completely missed that the first time I watched the OP.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

"Not as bad as Berserk's cg" is something that literally everyone should be able to clear. It's like saying that the Pacing in Jurassic World isn't bad because it's better than Birdemic's. Like Overlord's cg isn't a deal-breaker for me but it is certainly a noticeable drop in quality from their normal animation, and it'd be nice if it could be avoided. Though I know the stupidity of the anime production schedule means that it's necessity.

I guess? I don't think it frankly matters since they accomplish roughly what they need to do. I thought the CG dragons were rougher, but they still served their purpose and were some of the first things they did.

I dunno, I just feel like cutting them some slack because generally quality of animation is a bit much to expect from a weekly scheduled anime in a world of overworked employees.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean the show is still good, but I'm gonna still complain. Still going to pine for the possibility of a medium where these things can be scheduled out far enough in advance that this sort of corner cutting isn't necessary.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only ones who read your complaints are us, your fellow watchers. It's not going to cause a wave in Japan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well no poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The CG is very berserk-like but unlike berserk it's not the only animation there is and only seems to be pulled out for when they need to do a lot of movement (either by one character or lots of characters) in a scene. It's fairly consistent in that regard.

It's still worse than the normal animated stuff though which is indeed a shame.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The CG hasn't really bothered me, I thought they did a good job with the Lizard's Hydra for instance.

Random skeletons still don't look great, but it hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the show.

I think eventually a proper 13-26 episode anime is going to do super good CG that blends seamlessly into the animation style and we'll finally have a true symbiosis of traditional animation and CG, but it's probably going to be awhile until someone comes up with a way to do it at that level of quality. I feel like you need to have the "normal" animation style be very similar to CG so it's not so jarring, but at that point you're probably better off going all CG anyway.

I've enjoyed a lot of the all CG animation that I've seen come out of Japan, and I have high hopes for the future there. You can look at any kind of CG from even 10 years ago and it's significantly better now except for a few outliers that really pulled off amazing stuff with it, and I'm old enough to remember the really ugly stuff from stuff like the Spider-man cartoon on Fox Kids, so I think in another 10 years it will have improved to be noticeably "prettier" than what we typically have now, both in high-budget OVAs and ongoing series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The problem with 3D is generally the same as it always was, it takes longer to model things than it does to draw things. I suppose we can improve things like mapping materials, rigging skeletons and have better tools for keyframe animations, but these things are still difficult to do well. The more detail you want to add, the longer it takes too. Even game development which primarily uses 3D assets take years to finish and it often done at the same as everything else.

For something like anime, which has seasonal airings, it just isn't viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, all CG tv shows almost always have the problems of barren and lifeless backgrounds. It way easier to add in tiny little details when its a static 2d background.

I'm actually kind of alright with the CG in overlord though. Its mostly reserved for the nameless mooks. I'm ok with them sometimes cutting corners if its more likely we will get more seasons.