Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I accept your terms.

This was my big problem too. I dont have a problem with a big bad enemy, but the way they behaved with Tributary-ing everyone in Asia was a bit much and very a-historical.

I heard about the map changes but did not hear about the behavior changes - I thought I kept up with all of the Dev Diaries but maybe not, do you know where you heard that?

They mentioned during one of the dev MP games that Ming doesn't really try to tributary anyone that they don't border or something along those lines. There's new unpassable terrain in east Tibet and in Burma so this is significant.

The only interaction so far in the dev MP game between Ming and India was Ming deciding to ally Nepal for a while which, while annoying, I'm much more OK with than Ming making Nepal into a tributary as you can work around it more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
It's 1446, and

:getin:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

It's 1446, and

:getin:

I was happily stomping AI Transoxiana into the ground when they pulled one of these 6 shock nothing else generals out of their rear end and I suddenly had to start avoiding engaging them, it sucked :mad:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

RabidWeasel posted:

I was happily stomping AI Transoxiana into the ground when they pulled one of these 6 shock nothing else generals out of their rear end and I suddenly had to start avoiding engaging them, it sucked :mad:

Tbf, I'm using him for stomping the Irish, which I at the same time feel is a waste of an excellent general, but also a quite racist sentiment against the Irish.

#britain

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Basically everything you do in the game should be considered an atrocity.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Non edited timelasp, Scotland Rule Brittanina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edit

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Uziduke posted:

Non edited timelasp, Scotland Rule Brittanina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edit

Don't think that link is pointing to what you want.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
They make a british isles immersion pack and don't update the scottish national ideas? Boo to that, the isles get interesting highlander ideas, but scotland is stuck with vanilla boring. Comet? come on ...

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 1, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Jay Rust posted:

Basically everything you do in the game should be considered an atrocity.

So how attached are we to the current thread title?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ro5s posted:

So how attached are we to the current thread title?

using the royal “we” in the eu4 thread lol I get it!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Look man red indicates poo poo that needs fixing so if a culture shows up in red I fuckin smash that change culture button until it's green, as god intended

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wish colonial nations weren't so aggressive about eliminating any foreign cultures from their land. I guess the AI freaks out if a certain % of provinces aren't the official culture?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also why am I playing a game as Castile? I was just testing my graphics card, but it's 1550 and I should probably accept I'm playing for real now.

The Protestant Reformation still seems rather anemic, which is dull.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my Venice-Italy game the protestants took off like a rocket and declared the earliest almost instantaneous HRE war I've ever seen, which they easily won. Of course that may have just been an exception.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I've got an England game going at the moment, up to about 1635; the league war happened early and was a quick affair which the Catholic Emperor won handily, BUT basically all of Germany is Protestant (and the whole of France and Iberia are Reformed)! The only Catholic members of the Empire right now are the Emperor and the Electors. This doesn't look like a recipe for success.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also why am I playing a game as Castile? I was just testing my graphics card, but it's 1550 and I should probably accept I'm playing for real now.

The Protestant Reformation still seems rather anemic, which is dull.

In my current Brandenburg game France converted, which is pretty sweet. It took longer than usual for Scandanavia to convert but eventually Denmark went Reformed... right before being eaten by russia and their pu partner Sweden. That's a scary blob.

One thing I've been noticing for sure is that northern italy has been getting hit harder than usual lately. Also the papal states' provinces are more likely to be converted, which may actually hurt the reformation overall since it wastes time converting provinces belonging to a government that can't convert.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 1, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I had a few games where the reformation was really lovely, but all the major powers joined the protestant league and the HRE ended up with like three single province protestant countries rotating through emperor. :shrug:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well that's an interesting candidate.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Is the HRE meant to start the game in 1444 with 'Religious Peace'? That was the case in my current Brandenburg game and the religious leagues just... never fired. We had a heavy reformation and the empire is about 80% protestant now at 1656 but yeah absolutely no related events. Anyone can be emperor just fine and always has been. I only have graphical mods installed so I don't really know what's gone wrong.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is the HRE meant to start the game in 1444 with 'Religious Peace'?

Apparently this is a known bug that happens if you gently caress with the starting date before launching the game. E.g. set it to 1820 and then back to 1444.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is that me or Burgundy inheritance got rarer than it used to be?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is the HRE meant to start the game in 1444 with 'Religious Peace'? That was the case in my current Brandenburg game and the religious leagues just... never fired. We had a heavy reformation and the empire is about 80% protestant now at 1656 but yeah absolutely no related events. Anyone can be emperor just fine and always has been. I only have graphical mods installed so I don't really know what's gone wrong.

Yeah don't gently caress with the start dates too much before the start of the game it messes up a lot of stuff

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

Yeah my last few games Burgundy just dunks on France and the inheritance never happens. As opposed to it firing basically for sure every game pre-Rule Brittania.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah my last few games Burgundy just dunks on France and the inheritance never happens. As opposed to it firing basically for sure every game pre-Rule Brittania.
I'm okay with this.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kuiperdolin posted:

Seems to. In my latest Castile game I married and allied them thinking they'd just be a speedbump against our common enemy France, but they got pretty swole (and still have their PUs) and no sign of the inheritance yet, even though it's kind of early (1520)

Still hoping it happens because the random new world only sends trade to English channel so I kinda want a foothold there :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think they're safe from it after 1500.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TorakFade posted:

no sign of the inheritance yet, even though it's kind of early (1520)

it can’t happen after 1500 but is more likely to happen if they’re getting crushed in a war and have no heir. i’m fine with it not firing in most games because it’s just a huge boon

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Poil posted:

In my Venice-Italy game the protestants took off like a rocket and declared the earliest almost instantaneous HRE war I've ever seen, which they easily won. Of course that may have just been an exception.

Yeah, it looks like I was judging it too soon. Now it's the 1570s and there's a good religious war brewing in the Empire, as well as Reformed Prussia (and Hungary too, RIP). I joined the Protestants because all my enemies joined the Catholic side, which is a cute mechanic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

New dev diary. We'll be able to send colonists to our owned provinces for a small yearly chance to increase development, and to send "scornful insults" at a cost of 5 prestige, which will give an opinion penalty with the target, and an opinion bonus with their enemies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

"scornful insults"

If anyone out there can recall some IRL precedents/examples for this I think that would be fun to read about.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If anyone out there can recall some IRL precedents/examples for this I think that would be fun to read about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks probably the most famous?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Gonna tank my prestige the whole game doing nothing but insulting everybody.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is it supposed to take decades to do anything playing as a tiny weak <3 province nation outside of the HRE?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Is it supposed to take decades to do anything playing as a tiny weak <3 province nation outside of the HRE?

It depends but potentially yes. Odoyev is not a good start for example :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Calling someone the goat-fucker of Alexandria would be pretty fun. Of course there won't ever be enough prestige for it.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Next $15 dlc: dynamically generated insults.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

RabidWeasel posted:

It depends but potentially yes. Odoyev is not a good start for example :v:

I haven't played in a couple years so I thought to myself the best way to jump back in is to try to bang out one of them cheevos where you start as nothing and conquer the world etc.

A very solid plan if I do say so myself.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The insults in lords of the realm 2 were pretty good. I liked the Knight.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone have any tips for having an enjoyable game with RNW besides praying that the trade routes actually interact with the nation you pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Expansion ideas get a boost from this but not sure it's enough to ever take them as not Portugal or Spain.