Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I spent the morning trying to convince my brother's friends that you don't need google maps to find the Byward Market from the National Art Gallery. Herding cats and it's fecking hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ottawa in the summer in a place with no a/c was preeeetty close to hell for me.

I liked Ottawa otherwise but gently caress the summers, goddamn.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
drat near got heat stroke while cleaning up and decorating the garage with some swag from races I've done over the past year and also installing a doodad to hang fishing poles from the ceiling.

Gonna spend the rest of the weekend with family sitting in the back yard grilling meat and relaxing.

Unless those thunderstorms that Environment Canada says might happen do happen, in which case it's batten down the hatches.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

priznat posted:

Ottawa in the summer in a place with no a/c was preeeetty close to hell for me.

I liked Ottawa otherwise but gently caress the summers, goddamn.

Thank god for my basement room and strategically positioned desk fans.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arcsquad12 posted:

I spent the morning trying to convince my brother's friends that you don't need google maps to find the Byward Market from the National Art Gallery. Herding cats and it's fecking hot.

Depends on how peckered you are.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

infernal machines posted:

Holy poo poo. It's 33° in the shade here in Toronto, with just under 60% humidity.

I was just outside and the heat is suffocating and I live in northern Oshawa.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Southern Ontario humidity is another thing I really don't miss. 30c above? Find some shade and you're comfy, or just drink water and the sweat will keep you cool. I did the last 25km of a 100km gravel race at 30c no problem. 30c below? You can dress to be comfortable out in that for an entire day.

In the GTA being outside in either of those extremes would be unbearable for any significant length of time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Come up to Barrie where the temperature peaked at 37 and the humidity at 70%.

In the spirit of Canada Day lets travel back in time to when I was young and went to Ottawa with some friends to watch these guys play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV1X0eo190U

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah the weather in Vancouver right now is pretty much perfect. I went out at 8am to get some antihistamines and juuuuuuust barely didn't need a hoodie. That's basically the perfect weather if you ask me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm always hot anyways so today was sweltering but not unbearable.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally cracked open a bottle of Dillon's three oak rye whisky. Honestly, I'm not sure I care for it. Should've cracked open the duty-free scotch I've been holding on to for a year.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm supposed to be predisposed to like Dillon's because they're local and whatever, but outside of their rose gin, dry gin, and absinthe, everything tastes kind of strange. That unfiltered gin for instance comes off like a whisky somehow.

Anyway that's like Canadian politics becaus

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Happy Canada Day!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope you all enjoyed national cultural genocide day. I’m enjoying my day off as we speak with a Tim Horton’s coffee :toot:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

littleorv posted:

I hope you all enjoyed national cultural genocide day. I’m enjoying my day off as we speak with a Tim Horton’s coffee :toot:

So you are celebrating two genocides?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yellow Ant posted:

Happy Canada Day!

I love everything about this.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

What a day! A little cool and overcast here in Edmonton after the rain we had last night, but at least the fireworks went off and I was able to see some of them from the strip club downtown. I just saw this posted on my Facebook feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiG211tR01w

Electioneering at the AGM for the Provincial riding of Calgary-NE, ballot boxes being stuffed, votes being bussed or driven in from other ridings, ballots disallowed en masse, general pandemonium ensues when people try to address it. Business as usual in Alberta, I guess.:canada:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some international papers have started to pick the Trudeau sexual assault story. Going to be hilarious if Trudeau gets thrown out of office before trump.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If he'd acknowledged the truth and renewed his apology for the thing he definitely did, this would be a non-story.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

If he'd acknowledged the truth and renewed his apology for the thing he definitely did, this would be a non-story.

No, the usual suspects would still be calling for his resignation. He should do it anyway, but it wouldn't make any difference

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zapplez posted:

Some international papers have started to pick the Trudeau sexual assault story. Going to be hilarious if Trudeau gets thrown out of office before trump.

Lmao what the gently caress, he's not going to get "thrown out of office"

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bring on Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland and an easy 2nd liberal victory.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Justin Trudeau will win a majority in 2019 :toxx:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau will win a majority in 2019 :toxx:

Someone doesnt get why Harper has been down talking to Trump so much.

He wants his house back now that the smell of cat urine has been eliminated.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao what the gently caress, he's not going to get "thrown out of office"

But, but, but, there was an article in the Buenos Aires Mundo about it!!!!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Our PM might be a rapist lol no big deal

-canpol 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

patonthebach posted:

-canpol 2018

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Our former PM is probably undermining the current administration by colluding with a foreign terrorist organization.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
doug ford 2024

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

EvilJoven posted:

Southern Ontario humidity is another thing I really don't miss. 30c above? Find some shade and you're comfy, or just drink water and the sweat will keep you cool. I did the last 25km of a 100km gravel race at 30c no problem. 30c below? You can dress to be comfortable out in that for an entire day.

In the GTA being outside in either of those extremes would be unbearable for any significant length of time.

:eng101:

Actually, below -10 or so, water vapour has a really tough time hanging in the air and humidity drops like a rock. Ottawa is loving cold at -5 let me tell you that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

patonthebach posted:

-canpol 2018

Inappropriate groping, that thing that's definitely the same as rape.

Math You posted:

:eng101:

Actually, below -10 or so, water vapour has a really tough time hanging in the air and humidity drops like a rock. Ottawa is loving cold at -5 let me tell you that

It's not cold until your eyelashes freeze together from your own breath.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I grew up in Yellowknife so talk of humidity at all bemuses me.

That said it's got the cold in spades.

Segue
May 23, 2007

To go along with his hiring freeze, Doug Ford has also gone forward with a pay freeze for managers and other non-unionized employees

Note that the Liberals already had a five year pay freeze for managers through 2017 so if you thought the government had a hard time attracting talented leaders before...

The freeze also includes

The Globe and Mail posted:

a stop to any pay adjustments for employees with compensation linked to union contract increases.

which sure seems like a general pay freeze as well.

This is nothing compared to the general misery of cancelling OHIP+ for youth, but the fact that both those things were announced immediately into the new government in the media dead zone before a long weekend means we have a very long road ahead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We're in for a rough ride.

This morning on CBC there was a guy talking about appliance costs going up by at least 4% not including the "tariff fee" companies can impose so their bottom line remains the same while us consumers get hosed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Because American products weren't already arbitrarily overpriced up here.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Segue posted:

To go along with his hiring freeze, Doug Ford has also gone forward with a pay freeze for managers and other non-unionized employees

Note that the Liberals already had a five year pay freeze for managers through 2017 so if you thought the government had a hard time attracting talented leaders before...

How much do these managers get paid on average and how does their compensation compare against the same job in the private sector? I don't have enough information to know how emotional to feel about this pay freeze.

quote:

This is nothing compared to the general misery of cancelling OHIP+ for youth

The general misery manulife will feel? Y'all get so dramatic

quote:

In a further move to reduce government spending, Health Minister Christine Elliott announced on Saturday afternoon that the OHIP-plus pharmacare program created by Ms. Wynne’s Liberals would now be more limited.

The plan will now only provide free drugs to Ontarians aged 24 and under who don’t have access to prescription drug benefits. The program was previously open to all people in that age range, regardless of benefits.

Children and youth who are not covered by private plans will still receive prescriptions for free, according to a statement from Ms. Elliott’s office. Those with private insurance will need to use that first and the government will cover the difference.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I don't see a problem with means-tested pharmacare, especially when it's a private insurer's means being tested and not the patient's.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lol. How much more are they going to waste trying to determine eligibility for that bullshit and reviewing claims rather than just having blanket application to people under 24?

flakeloaf posted:

I don't see a problem with means-tested pharmacare, especially when it's a private insurer's means being tested and not the patient's.

How long until they float "OHIP, but only for people without private insurance"?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Lol. How much more are they going to waste trying to determine eligibility for that bullshit and reviewing claims rather than just having blanket application to people under 24?

Oh, much more than it would've cost them to just buck up and give someone their drat test strips I'm sure, but if you don't create inefficiencies you can't find efficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

but if you don't create inefficiencies you can't find efficiencies.

Good point. DoFo's mission in Toronto was to prove that government didn't work, I have absolute faith in his ability to succeed as Premier of Ontario.