Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

other series' have lasted a while with reused characters and it's not even close to as bland/poorly written as something like junk the black shadow (which had one of the worst opening chapters I've read in a while)

I don't trust it to be good in the long run but these initial chapters have been fine

Junk has nice art though but agreed on how it's super bland and we probably know how the next few vol will play out. Also, the MC's name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Relin posted:

tokyo ghoul re; ended, with blurbs on the fates of all the characters (most of whom i wager no one remembers) of note. some of the characters still had arcs to go through but got left by the wayside. no threequel. apparently this released before it was published i n japan so all the "fan" sites are begging people not to tell the author on twitter heh

Wow, that's an abrupt ending. Feels like it pulled a bleach and just kind of skipped the last chunk to call it quits.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Space Erza is in Harlock cosplay ergo she's not the villain

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The most abrupt ending I've ever seen was that of Golem Hearts, followed by Robot x Laserbeam.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Seiji Tanaka
by Keiji Amatsuka

It debuted in last week's English Jump

Just read it, and wow, Tokioka is annoying (though in a very different way from Reborn's Tsuna).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Just read it, and wow, Tokioka is annoying (though in a very different way from Reborn's Tsuna).

On the plus side, if Tokioka improves at all, even the slightest bit, between now and the series cancellation, he will have have surpassed Tsuna as an MC. You wanna talk about shonen manga with dogshit endings, gently caress.

"You're still a pathetic sack of poo poo Tsuna, but at least you have some friends to support you and keep you from completely loving imploding due to your terribleness. My job as your teacher is done."

god drat it still makes me mad years later and that series spent 3/4 of its run as "not good" so it really shouldn't

The most abrupt ending I've seen in shonen is probably... Love Rush or Red Sprite? Those both ended in like 10-12 chapters though so I don't know if it's fair to compare them to abrupt endings for series' that lasted around a year.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Love Rush and Red Sprite dying is less that and more Jump being a fuckhaus for any new series.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Look we just want your first volume to sell literally millions. Is that so much to ask?

Eden Zero is still pretty stupid. But I hope New Lucy actually gets some agency. Having her go on a rampage with guns is pretty fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

The most abrupt ending I've ever seen was that of Golem Hearts, followed by Robot x Laserbeam.

those got canceled but I really doubt tokyo ghoul was

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All of the last several axed Jump series had hilariously abrupt endings.

U19's was the funniest because you could tell the mangaka was desperately trying to keep it alive and was writing it in such a way as to be able to keep it rolling well if it got a reprieve.

Full Drive was so unbelievably boring that as far as I know, no one has scanlated the entire less-than-a-volume run.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 3, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I deem Eden Zero harmless so far. Points are deducted for excess of friendship, and points are awarded for Gun Cata.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't find him annoying he didn't stand out as amazing or anything but he was just a slacker which imo is better than a spineless whiner and I liked that he's trying to live up to his future self already. Seiji is so pure and funny though and Authorisation Stamp ruled

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess it's more of a cultural thing but I'm kinda wondering why Nakama/tomodachi are used so much rather than "family". Like most of Eden Zero so far would feel more affecting if they just used the word family.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 3, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rodyle posted:

Gun Cata.
nice

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I guess it's more of a cultural thing but I'm kinda wondering why Nakamura/tomodachi are used so much rather than "family". Like most of Eden Zero so far would feel more affecting if they just used the word family.

It's not really any special or different from the variety of english words we have for friendship and family but fan translation groups made it enough of a staple that it's become acceptable and recognized as a substitute word.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's kind of fun reading the TG posts because it's baby manga readers first exposure to manga endings (which are usually unsatisfying). the author also forget several important characters in his ending but wrote blurbs for very minor ones. a lot of people posting seem to have poor reading comprehension and think dead characters are alive, which is partly the fault of the hack writer who brought several back to life (some were just pseudo rebirths) out of the blue

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Love Rush and Red Sprite dying is less that and more Jump being a fuckhaus for any new series.

Dunno about Love Rush, but Red Sprite was exceedingly mediocre. The art was good, but the premise and protagonist weren't that interesting and it very much gave the feeling of something someone directly set out to mold as a marketable shounen. The other series I think the same author did, Iron Knight, had the same feel to it, so I'm wondering if maybe that guy should just stick to art and let someone else write his series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've read that Mashima has another Fairy Tail spin off/sequel in the works, and some of his assistants have like another two that they are heading. Say what you will about him, but the dude and his team sure seem to be some real workhorses.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mashima at one point had 2 fairy tail spinoffs and the main series running concurrently and would still randomly toss out omakes, idk what that crew runs on

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they save time for doing the art by ignoring the plot entirely

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

they save time for doing the art by ignoring the plot entirely

I've had the same thought, heh. Though part of it may just be that he delegates more to assistants than most mangaka, and that he sticks to character designs he's comfortable drawing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with the exception of dragons, mashima's art style is very simple

dang if he can't draw the hell out of some dragons, though

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

For all the poo poo I give him. I gotta respect just how consistently he is. Mashima's stuff comes out by the bucket load, yet always looks good. I can't imagine a single instance where he had to rely on half finished work in order to get poo poo done in time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

For all the poo poo I give him. I gotta respect just how consistently he is. Mashima's stuff comes out by the bucket load, yet always looks good. I can't imagine a single instance where he had to rely on half finished work in order to get poo poo done in time.
This is a mangaka who packs the most T&A and fetish poo poo he can into his work while keeping it a G-rated kids series so please, phrasing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how impossibly huge lady is just Aschen from srw

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Rodyle posted:

Mashima at one point had 2 fairy tail spinoffs and the main series running concurrently and would still randomly toss out omakes, idk what that crew runs on

Mashima works fast enough he was able to take a weekend off to play through FFXV, and still come out with a complete chapter without delays or half-finished pages. He could probably get 500 chapters out in a month if he had the super dedicated ethic of other artists. Of course, he'd also probably die of exhaustion after that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/70/page/1

Read this chapter with the lights on folks. It's pretty spoopy.

Also, why do they insist on calling it we can't study? When even the actual manga uses the name "We never Learn"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/70/page/1

Read this chapter with the lights on folks. It's pretty spoopy.

Also, why do they insist on calling it we can't study? When even the actual manga uses the name "We never Learn"

Whew, thanks for the warning, that was 13/10 haunted. Also, adorable.

As for the title, I guess it's something like refusal to be wrong or to change after this long. It's been annoying to me since the bookmarks that came with the Japanese volumes 1-3 had "We Never Learn" printed on them, but recently it's even been blatantly on the color spreads so there's no reason to stick to it anymore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mulderman posted:

The direct translation of the Japanese is "we can't study" (it's still dumb as hell not to change it when the official title is "We Never Learn" though, and it's not like it's even a particularly bad localized title).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we can't study just plain isn't a very good title. it's got no impact.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we can't study just plain isn't a very good title. it's got no impact.
This. Plus, 'We Can't Study' only conveys the literal translation of the title, benkyou can also mean general learning and growing through life too rather than just academics. That's why We Never Learn is so perfect.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess Bleach isn't over yet???

Images for Kubo's new one-shot.

https://imgur.com/a/rVEw73F

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Minor design spoilers: That kid in the middle is impressively unappealing.

I'm seriously struggling to think of the last time I saw a design that bland and boring for a prominent character in a shounen series. Depicting him as a weenie to boot in the promo image doesn't exactly improve my confidence in the character.

C'mon, why couldn't mister badass in the back be the male MC? Or just focus on the girls entirely. Or if these are impossible, at the very least don't make Mr. Relatable-to-Japanese-teens the most generic looking guy with literally not a single quirk or detail to his design whatsoever visible even in the loving promotional spread showing off the characters.

E: It's extra bad since Ichigo's design was pretty good (at the start when Kubo put in effort anyway) and Bleach initially built a lot of its name on the fashionable character spreads he mastered. 'Some guy in a school-uniform' is wasting like the one thing Kubo seems actually talented at. Look at how cool he made the other guy!

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Insurrectionist posted:

Minor design spoilers: That kid in the middle is impressively unappealing.

I'm seriously struggling to think of the last time I saw a design that bland and boring for a prominent character in a shounen series. Depicting him as a weenie to boot in the promo image doesn't exactly improve my confidence in the character.

C'mon, why couldn't mister badass in the back be the male MC? Or just focus on the girls entirely. Or if these are impossible, at the very least don't make Mr. Relatable-to-Japanese-teens the most generic looking guy with literally not a single quirk or detail to his design whatsoever visible even in the loving promotional spread showing off the characters.

Weenie guy carted around against his will by girl(s) is anime tradition.

Burn The Witch:
"Bleach isnt over! Bleach isnt over!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Weenie guy carted around against his will by girl(s) is anime tradition.

Mirai Nikki will forever be my favorite example of this

Something about the protagonist being just a complete bitch and getting carted around against his will by a psycho and Literally Revy is just absolutely hilarious to me

quote:

Burn The Witch:
"Bleach isnt over! Bleach isnt over!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

they literally loving namedropped Soul Society

it's either a really weirdly close ripoff or the Bleach equivalent of UQ Holder/Fairy Tail guy's new thing

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Looking forward to 200 chapters of the next rescue arc (this time with guns instead of swords).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this time, for a change of pace, it's those two girls rescuing the guy

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hate-Senpai posted:

https://imgur.com/a/rVEw73F

That little bit of thigh pudge on girl Byakuya though