Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a lot of debate over Caracalla's actions, though I've never seen anyone argue they were good for the empire. I have never actually heard of this honestiores/humiliores thing before so I can't address it, though the fact that it's never come up in the absurd amount of time I've spent studying this stuff makes me suspect it isn't considered that important.

Anyway, I didn't say there was no incentive after that. Just that it lost one of its main benefits.

honestiore/humiliore is obscure but not wholly unimportant - honestiores is the broader category that the 'senatorial' and 'equite' classes fall into, and so probably for a while military service continued to be attractive because that really is quite the jump in status for a farmer's son. the quality of the roman armies was still high for a while after caracalla, after all. but once the veterans outnumbered the actual senatorial/equites, and the crisis screwed up the whole social fabric, it seems to have shaken out such that nobody particularly gave a drat about the distinction any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think part of why Caracalla is still debated so much is the Crisis comes along so soon after that it's hard to say how his reforms would've shaken out without the part where the empire falls to pieces for decades.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the wealthy essentially abandoned their civic duties - military, infrastructure, etc. - during the crisis of the third century in favor of building their self-sufficient proto-manors because the economy was mega-screwed at the time, and nobody ever managed to convince them to pick those duties back up

Yeah and I remember from the History of Rome, the reason the rich had originally assumed all those civic duties - and the associated expenses - is that that was how you advanced your political career. As the army and Imperial bureaucracy gradually took more and more of political functions away from the old aristocratic classes, they lost their incentive to participate in the civic life of the empire.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also not to pick on Christians, they also are a factor here too, the church assumed a lot of duties formerly filled by rich bastards wanting to look good to the people. Then they also gobbled up lots of land too in essentially the medieval version of rich bastards today setting up "charity" foundations that are essentially just tax shelters with little charity done. Except in this time you turn your manor into a monastery, put your cousin Ioannes in charge as abbott and bam now the Emperor can't tax your farm.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think the Roman tendency to integrate people and hand out citizenship is overblown, at least during the Republic. The Social War was started by cities that had been under Roman control for centuries and they still didn't have citizenship. That would be like if Iowa still didn't have statehood and its residents weren't US citizens. Later on they do get more free with it obviously.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
When people talk about the Roman ideology of integration, they are referring to a specific ideology which entirely postdated the social war and was probably largely inspired by its outcome. When Caesar brought men from modern Lombardy into the senate, the senators sneered at them as a bunch of pants-wearing scum. Within 150 years a man from Spain held absolute rule over the whole Roman world and was declared “the best ruler” by decree of the senate. That’s what people are talking about.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I think the Roman tendency to integrate people and hand out citizenship is overblown, at least during the Republic. The Social War was started by cities that had been under Roman control for centuries and they still didn't have citizenship. That would be like if Iowa still didn't have statehood and its residents weren't US citizens. Later on they do get more free with it obviously.

I mean, this is a problem for almost any aspect of discussing Roman society... any generalized statements only apply to a small portion of the history. Hence why Rome has a reputation for being both unstable (because people are thinking of the crisis years, or the civil wars around the end of the Republic) and very stable (because people are thinking of the centuries in between). Likewise, the famed Roman integration was fairly lacking in the Republic, as you note, but is definitely a key aspect of the later empire.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Within 150 years a man from Spain held absolute rule over the whole Roman world and was declared “the best ruler” by decree of the senate. That’s what people are talking about.

It's true, but the Trajan thing also can be overstated. Trajan was from Hispania, but he was also from an Italian family. He was the descendant of soldiers in Scipio's army, born in a colony set up for Scipio's Italian auxiliaries.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Jack2142 posted:

Another thing is how relatively inclusive they were from the outset on bringing people into the fold by expanding citizenship or offering it in exchange for service etc. Also establishing colonies that maintained loyalty to Rome whereas the old Greek and Phoenician ones broke away and formed their own identities.

Inclusive from the outset by expanding citizenship? Isn't that what the Social Wars were about? Because they refused to extend citizenship to the Latin league and Samnites? Or are we just talking about the Empire?

*edit: comment already answered

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 26, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dalael posted:

Inclusive from the outset by expanding citizenship? Isn't that what the Social Wars were about? Because they refused to extend citizenship to the Latin league and Samnites? Or are we just talking about the Empire?

*edit: comment already answered

To be fair the Romans did seem to extend Pre-Social War varying degrees of citizenship to client states. Which while not maybe the most inclusive, at least did bring them into the "Roman" system. Also as mentioned when a group of Roman Soldiers like Trajan's ancestors established a colony in Spain, they stayed Roman citizens and still held ties to and saw themselves as Romans. You don't really see that happening for Greek or Phoenician colonies maintaining that degree of continuity with their founding city. They generally tended to go off their own direction...

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I feel really dumb for asking this but, does the Sphynx trully have a tail? Saw this on imgur today and it had never occured to me that it does. I have never ever seen a picture of the sphynx from behind before. Is this a troll?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dalael posted:

I feel really dumb for asking this but, does the Sphynx trully have a tail? Saw this on imgur today and it had never occured to me that it does. I have never ever seen a picture of the sphynx from behind before. Is this a troll?

I played Assassins creed origins and i can tell you that it does. It also has a small hole under the tail that takes you to the first civilization bunker.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Did the legionaries becoming honestiore start with Caracalla? It seems like it would be destabilizing. I presume ones children would retain the rank. How many legionaries would make it to retirement?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I was wondering about legionary retirement earlier- did you reasonably expect to survive your 20 years (iirc?) service?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I was wondering about legionary retirement earlier- did you reasonably expect to survive your 20 years (iirc?) service?

25 years in the high empire. Most legionaries did survive their term, or settling veterans wouldn’t have been such a persistent issue in the late republic. Legionary colony towns can be found virtually all over Roman Europe anyhow. It was the military, so people did get killed and sometimes very many got killed at a time, but most legionaries weren’t going off to war for most of their term. You were hardly as safe as modern citizen of a first world country, but the same could be said of any Roman subject.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
carthago delenda est

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-01-23-ancient-carthaginians-really-did-sacrifice-their-children

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Is it just me, or does this article make a ton of presumptions about Punic society and history that are unwarranted?

Cool fact tho

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Amgard posted:

Is it just me, or does this article make a ton of presumptions about Punic society and history that are unwarranted?
the gently caress they going to do, phone them?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I always knew Cabiria was a documentary.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Crosspostin’

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Some artifacts purchased by Hobby Lobby and returned to Iraq come from an ancient Sumerian city — and indicate life there was "pretty good," an expert says.":

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/28/6235...ontent=20180628

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep. There's a certain amount of guesswork for obvious reasons but it seems like a solid majority of legionaries made it to retirement. You weren't in battle all that often, and a victorious ancient battle meant fairly minimal deaths on your side. Even losing usually means the majority of your army survives. Legionaries had the best available medical care of the era, so your chance of surviving injury was the best you could hope for. From skeletal remains legionaries appeared to be pretty healthy, well-fed and not particularly prone to disease--the Roman appreciation of sanitation played a role here, I presume. There are also a lot of documented periods when providing discharge bonuses for veterans was a serious problem for the state, which is further evidence plenty of soldiers were making it to the end of their service. Other circumstantial evidence comes from the fact that the auxilia do not seem to have had problems recruiting, which suggests the men signing up believed they would make it to retirement. I don't think there would've been a rush to sign up if you thought there was a good chance you'd end up dead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

skasion posted:

Crosspostin’

I know what they're going for but isn't ripae 'of the river bank' (or dative, or plural) here? :shobon:

Edit: I note it's what Google Translate suggests for bank though. Don't trust Google Translate kids!

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mutuavit is also not a used form of mutuari I think. If it weren't a deponent verb it could be 3. person perfect indicative but there's already a finite verb there.

I did enjoy it a lot. I tried to make a Greek version but my artistic skills aren't up to the task of making it good.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

I know what they're going for but isn't ripae 'of the river bank' (or dative, or plural) here? :shobon:

Edit: I note it's what Google Translate suggests for bank though. Don't trust Google Translate kids!
bank is argent-somethingorother

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Grevling fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are those loss

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Why are those flutes strapped to the guy's head?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Power Khan posted:

Why are those flutes strapped to the guy's head?

the greek double flute was hard to play and some of them were strapped to the head to reduce strain on the musician

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aulos

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I'll never understand why people were so skeptical at the idea that the Carthaginians did horrible things. History shows that humans have the capacity to do horrible things. We can believe that a Transylvanian lord impaled people but we can't imagine that Carthaginian society sacrificed children?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's because almost every ancient piece of writing about Carthage is from the perspective of the Romans. They made poo poo up about foreigners constantly.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

CountFosco posted:

I'll never understand why people were so skeptical at the idea that the Carthaginians did horrible things. History shows that humans have the capacity to do horrible things. We can believe that a Transylvanian lord impaled people but we can't imagine that Carthaginian society sacrificed children?

Imagine if all we had to reconstruct WWII-era Japan was American propaganda from the 40's. They obviously would have been some kind of bad dudes, but I would forgive people for being a little skeptical that they were all buck toothed, glasses wearing saboteurs who bumble around and eat babies.

It's obviously not 100% accurate but all our sources on Carthage are from Rome and they're not exactly going to be charitable to their mortal enemies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the phoenician religion was pretty closely tied to ancient judaism

yahweh and baal are semi-interchangeable during the really early days, and only as the two cultures differentiated did they solidify as two distinctly separate deities. anybody thinking about the plausibility of phoenician (and thus carthaginian) child sacrifice should probably consider things like the near-sacrifice of isaac, which is a very incongruent story for the modern abrahamic religions but could hold a very different meaning in the face of a neighboring culture that does regularly sacrifice children. maybe abraham even goes through with it in a lost phoenician version of the story?

anyway while the romans loved a good slander i'm hesitant to write it off entirely

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
It's argued (convincingly, to my eyes) in Carthage Must Be Destroyed that they probably stuck to sacrificing stillborn or otherwise dead children as an everyday sort of thing but resorted to live sacrifices in times of crisis because you wanted to make extra sure the gods were pleased

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Imagine if all we had to reconstruct WWII-era Japan was American propaganda from the 40's. They obviously would have been some kind of bad dudes, but I would forgive people for being a little skeptical that they were all buck toothed, glasses wearing saboteurs who bumble around and eat babies.

To continue the analogy, archaeologists then dug up a bunch of WWII era japanese graveyards and found they were full of spectacles, buck-toothed skulls, and copies of To Serve Man, but people still argued it was just a coincidence

peer posted:

It's argued (convincingly, to my eyes) in Carthage Must Be Destroyed that they probably stuck to sacrificing stillborn or otherwise dead children as an everyday sort of thing but resorted to live sacrifices in times of crisis because you wanted to make extra sure the gods were pleased

You can read the paper directly here: https://doi.org/10.15184/aqy.2016.270

They refute that theory pretty convincingly - Smith's arguments are basically wishful thinking.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 3, 2018

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Tunicate posted:

To continue the analogy, archaeologists then dug up a bunch of WWII era japanese graveyards and found they were full of spectacles, buck-toothed skulls, and copies of To Serve Man, but people still argued it was just a coincidence

You can read the paper directly here: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1977220904/fulltextPDF/1FF892CFB6D24947PQ/1?accountid=14244

They refute that theory pretty convincingly - Smith's arguments are basically wishful thinking.

That link doesn’t work, doesn’t even show the article name.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I remember one of the texts in my Near Eastern religion class argued that the various old testament reports of neighboring peoples (and apostate Israelites) sacrificing children must be untrue, and went on to basically suggest that them having written this in the old testament was directly equivalent to later blood libel against the Jews in Europe and elsewhere. It was really a bit of a weird read; it felt like they were maybe just a bit overeager to suggest that the Jews deserved ill treatment.
There has certainly been a traditional association between Carthaginian child sacrifice and the Moloch sacrifices described in the old testament; that said, I don't know that that's a very modern idea.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

9-Volt Assault posted:

That link doesn’t work, doesn’t even show the article name.

edited with DOI link. Friggin' google scholar

this might go direct unless it fucks up again

https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...t_sacrifice.pdf

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Scarodactyl posted:

I remember one of the texts in my Near Eastern religion class argued that the various old testament reports of neighboring peoples (and apostate Israelites) sacrificing children must be untrue, and went on to basically suggest that them having written this in the old testament was directly equivalent to later blood libel against the Jews in Europe and elsewhere. It was really a bit of a weird read; it felt like they were maybe just a bit overeager to suggest that the Jews deserved ill treatment.
There has certainly been a traditional association between Carthaginian child sacrifice and the Moloch sacrifices described in the old testament; that said, I don't know that that's a very modern idea.
there's a guy out there who is either a historian or anthropologist who believes that every single early-modern account of cannibalism is false. it's all either slander or hearsay according to him. all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's me. Don't ask where my slight tremor came from or why everything I own is made of leather.