Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh by the way, if anyone wanted to know what Lud-in-the-Mist was like if it was truly great rather than merely good, you should read Man Without Qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh by the way, if anyone wanted to know what Lud-in-the-Mist was like if it was truly great rather than merely good, you should read Man Without Qualities.

Lampsman have you ever read The Worm Ouroboros, it's actually pretty cool for a fantasy book because it was written in 1920 by a british public servant who was a scholar of old Norse in his spare time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well why us it named after a Greek concept, you dunce?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I think he might have heard of the greeks as well maybe..

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
In conclusion, Alan Moore is a man of contrasts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Watchmen is bad

That's my hot Alan Moore take

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Nice obit / retrospective on Harlan Ellison:

https://newrepublic.com/article/149489/harlan-ellisons-death-raises-metoo-quandary posted:

To be sure, even in his best work, Ellison was a limited writer with a narrow emotional and tonal range. He could do rage, terror, and alienation very well, with hectoring and loud stories that mirrored the 1960s countercultural rage at the establishment. But there was little in Ellison’s work of empathy, friendship or love. He had no gift for conveying delicate shades of feeling. It’s not surprising that Doctorow speaks of loving Ellison’s work as an adolescent. In general, Ellison is a writer whose readership leans heavily on people who read him as a teen and often outgrew him. As Tim Hodler of The Comics Journal noted, Ellison “was a perfect writer to discover in middle school or junior high.”

Ouch. Because my teen years were when I was into Ellison. You can get into terrible fantasy novels about dragons and prophecies or you feel superior and get into angry young man fiction, and I did the second.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i stick the sword up my rear end and any man who can draw it is the once and future king of the book barn

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

Ouch. Because my teen years were when I was into Ellison. You can get into terrible fantasy novels about dragons and prophecies or you feel superior and get into angry young man fiction, and I did the second.

that piece makes more sense when you realize it was written by sentient bowel of unflavoured oatmeal jeet heer

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Clipperton posted:

that piece makes more sense when you realize it was written by sentient bowel of unflavoured oatmeal jeet heer

It's a good piece and he's correct

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nonathlon posted:

i've read exactly one short story collection from ellison but lmao heaven forbid that something lacks love or empathy

what a jag-off

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I understand that goons shun it in art.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

i've read exactly one short story collection from ellison but lmao heaven forbid that something lacks love or empathy

what a jag-off

heer was very concerned about upholding nazis' right to not get punched back when that was the issue du jour, he's about as wet as they come

also he's flat-out wrong, try reading "jeffty is five" and tell me there's no love or empathy in Ellison's stuff. jfc

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have no specific insights into the emotional or moral core behind his work but everything I read by him was really bad and I don't care that he's dead

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There is a general sci-fi thread, you know.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Clipperton posted:

sentient bowel
Very tempting name change.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Very tempting name change.

not intentional but i stand by it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
botl do harlan ellison next

Oxxidation posted:

what a jag-off

if an artist's emotional palette is limited to one emotion he is probably not a good artist

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 4, 2018

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

if an artist's emotional palette is limited to one emotion he is probably not a good artist

Someone name-checked "Jeffty is Five" above, which I'd forgotten about and is a sentimental and sad story, while being a good story.

But still, there's an awful lot of angry men in Ellison's work, given to scathing monologues, like every character is Holden Caulfield grown up, and somehow not avoided by everyone for being really uptight and pissed off all the time.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

But still, there's an awful lot of angry men in Ellison's work, given to scathing monologues, like every character is Holden Caulfield grown up, and somehow not avoided by everyone for being really uptight and pissed off all the time.

On the other hand, Kercher Crowstairs in "All The Lies That Are My Life" is Ellison in all but name, and Crowstairs is a monstrous pain in the rear end to everyone who knows him with very few redeeming features besides his talent.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Clipperton posted:

On the other hand, Kercher Crowstairs in "All The Lies That Are My Life" is Ellison in all but name, and Crowstairs is a monstrous pain in the rear end to everyone who knows him with very few redeeming features besides his talent.

Fair point. Although (from old memory) he does get a huge number of women, is smarter and more quick-tongued than anyone and everyone is in awe of his talent. Which takes a little shine off the honesty.

Reading Lud-in-the-mist at the moment. It's a bit slow and the writing is mannered but certainly no worse than Lord of the Rings.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nonathlon posted:

certainly no worse than Lord of the Rings.

damning praise lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you do any genre fiction in this thread that isn't sci-fi or fantasy? Would you do a Raymond Chandler book or one of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, for instance? I think that might be interesting to read.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why not, though? Surely there must be plenty of things to say about, say (off the top of my head), Red Dragon or The Black Dahlia or Rum Punch? Why single out the sci-fi and fantasy stuff?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ideological purity.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why not, though? Surely there must be plenty of things to say about, say (off the top of my head), Red Dragon or The Black Dahlia or Rum Punch? Why single out the sci-fi and fantasy stuff?

because goons don't obsess about any of that poo poo half as much as they do about sci-fi and fantasy and it is desperately necessary to provide some kind of counterbalance to that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just think crime novels and detective stories are more interesting and entertaining than most science-fiction and fantasy. :shrug:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
No one cares. BotL isn’t here to cater to your whims.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oh do an 'urban fantasy' novel

I've never read any so no suggestions, what do goons like??

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

because goons don't obsess about any of that poo poo half as much as they do about sci-fi and fantasy and it is desperately necessary to provide some kind of counterbalance to that

thank u for ur service

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Deliver us from goonlords.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
You know what would be perfect for the BotL treatment? Harry Turtledove.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CountFosco posted:

You know what would be perfect for the BotL treatment? Harry Turtledove.

I think Turtledove falls into the Ready Player One category where it's already the conventional wisdom here that his books are bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

my bony fealty posted:

Oh do an 'urban fantasy' novel

I've never read any so no suggestions, what do goons like??

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 7, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

less laughter posted:

No one cares. BotL isn’t here to cater to your whims.

I didn't think I was suggesting otherwise.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You click on a thread with the words sci-fi and fantasy in the title and then post:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just think crime novels and detective stories are more interesting and entertaining than most science-fiction and fantasy. :shrug:

So you’re just trolling and derailing the thread. Please don’t, it’s not appreciated.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
also hannibal lecter and all that poo poo is boring as hell. its not even fun to make fun of. at least i can laugh at the seven sages of crystal magic or whatever

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's a good piece and he's correct

It's not even a criticism of Ellison! Even if you like his work, it's absolutely fair to say that he has limited emotional range.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My favourite reviews of the thread have been the positive ones, but I do think its in part because its refreshing seeing Botl not actively trying to be a oval office.