Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

The Fool posted:

What are the chances that I'd actually receive the 'gifts' without spending more than $300 of my time?

You'll get the gifts. The reps usually have them on hand.

These offers are not uncommon. Stuff I've been offered this year beyond standard vendor lunches, dinners, or happy hours are luxury movie theater showings, free pair of custom running shoes, a putter, and a Columbia jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gifts are super verboten where I'm at. :smith:

Our biggest supplier sends a basket of chocolates every year and even that causes a stink, whoever receives it is required to put it in the break room for everyone to take a sample.

It's all to avoid the appearance of favoritism, one of the few things that sucks about being government paid.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

Our biggest supplier sends a basket of chocolates every year and even that causes a stink, whoever receives it is required to put it in the break room for everyone to take a sample.

It's all to avoid the appearance of favoritism, one of the few things that sucks about being government paid.

We’re private and do that. Every gift that isn’t perishable is saved for a raffle at the end of the year.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Oh hi thread, been a minute.

I've been in a pod since April but this came up today. Pissing me off:

1) End users who file 1 ticket with 4 different problems:
Linda's voicemail is broken, Jenn needs access to a and b fileshares, Charlie can't print in color

1a) The system that is so lovely they look at me like I just demanded their firstborn child when I explain that that needed to be three separate tickets.

2) The system that is also so lovely that I can't subtask or split out those issues.

3) The person who got that ticket, did just the voicemail request, and force-closed the ticket. Not resolved, closed. This may have been their passive-aggressive way of enforcing 1a), but goddamn, they just caused a shitstorm...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The end user is just trying to be courteous by consolidating their issues. Not every action is malicious.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The end user is just trying to be courteous by consolidating their issues. Not every action is malicious.

No, even when you explicitly state 'each issue, for each person, must be in a separate ticket' they still try to sneak 5 things into one ticket because it saves them time, not you time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Out sick for the last two days of last week, come back today and there are over 500 emails in my inbox :negative:

Out on a week of PTO- 6,500 unread emails.

Right-click. Mark all as read. :feelsgood:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Out on a week of PTO- 6,500 unread emails.

Right-click. Mark all as read. :feelsgood:

Yeah, I’m on stay-cation this week and I *dread* my inbox size when I get back. I mean, I don’t expect 6K+, but I get about 200 or so “legit” emails a day after I filter out all the automated reports and whatever marketing campaigns manage to sneak past spam filters.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

Oh hi thread, been a minute.

I've been in a pod since April but this came up today. Pissing me off:

1) End users who file 1 ticket with 4 different problems:
Linda's voicemail is broken, Jenn needs access to a and b fileshares, Charlie can't print in color

1a) The system that is so lovely they look at me like I just demanded their firstborn child when I explain that that needed to be three separate tickets.

2) The system that is also so lovely that I can't subtask or split out those issues.

3) The person who got that ticket, did just the voicemail request, and force-closed the ticket. Not resolved, closed. This may have been their passive-aggressive way of enforcing 1a), but goddamn, they just caused a shitstorm...

Can you just make three new tickets with problems 2 through 4, and when problem 1 gets fixed, close the first ticket and write "<Problem 1 resolution>. Created tickets x, y, and z to track the other issues separately" in the notes?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If you do it for them they will probably take no action in the future and repeat the same steps.

I usually play it as for fastest service, open a ticket for issues as soon as possible, to ensure they can be sent to the correct support persons.

If they are nice I can open on the customers behalf. If they stack in 5 things and put “also I’m leaving for vacation in -8 minutes” or “need this asap” then yeah, nah, gotta open up a new one. System only lets it go into one queue and category.

If your system is bullshit and requires the user to enter a lot of tedium instead of the help desk or yourself then fix that.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Currently pissing me off: I took my current job of 'Backend developer' several months ago on the premise that I'd be working on, y'know, backend projects. Turns out that while the company has a ticket system there isn't any kind of dedicated 'helpdesk', so tickets get assigned to any developer.

What this means is I often spend half - more than half of my day, every day, doing support for:
  • projects that don't have documentation
  • projects that don't have handovers from previous developers
  • projects I have had no training for
It's a huge waste of my time, the client's time and the company's time. I've brought this up to my manager and in my review only to get vague and noncommittal responses like "That's just how it is here", "Everybody's busy" and "We'll get something sorted out". When I vent to my colleagues they just kinda groan "oh, that project" or "yeah, that's how most of the tickets are".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

GREETINGS FROM DENMARK!

We have a huuge nationally-covered-by-every-media legal case where one vendor ("Atea") has been involved in bribing IT-chiefs in a municipality with expensive vacations, wine and dinners. The case has now ended with prison for multiple people, and a $millions fine for the company.

..and this mail from our city manager (badly translated by me)

quote:

Dear Managers,

The large focus on the Atea-case makes me want to ensure that all has been informed that in [our] municipality we have a clear stance regarding gifts from vendors of services or good to the municipality.

We will never receive gifts, samples of goods, services, or similar from vendors. This includes Summer Break, Christmas, etc. Gifts must be returned with a friendly explanation of our policy on this. When Christmas draws nearer we'll further communicate with every vendor to repeat this policy.

We have implemented this easy and clear practice to protect our reputation as unbribable and free us from suspicion of such in regards to professional and/or political decisions.

The same policy is in effect for individual employees. Special guidelines have been made in regards to gifts from citizens to social workers (like in-home-aids and -nurses). Gifts from citizens must be handled with grace to respect the citizen, and then registered with HR.

Deviation from the set policy will be viewed with [great seriousness] and may have consequences for continued employment.

[Directors] will be able to answer questions regarding their specific areas.

Best regards
City Manager

My first question to my own manager: Does this include a box of Christmas candy? Yes. No more candy. No more anything!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Truly we live in the worst timeline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crowley posted:

GREETINGS FROM DENMARK!

We have a huuge nationally-covered-by-every-media legal case where one vendor ("Atea") has been involved in bribing IT-chiefs in a municipality with expensive vacations, wine and dinners. The case has now ended with prison for multiple people, and a $millions fine for the company.

..and this mail from our city manager (badly translated by me)

My first question to my own manager: Does this include a box of Christmas candy? Yes. No more candy. No more anything!

I can kinda see the logic in this, even they really are taking no chances at all it seems; It's not so much as you getting a $10 variety box of candy at Christmas, so much as someone bending that rule higher up the food chain with something like a $300 box of obscenely-expensive chocolates as a purely-innocuous gift and in no way a minor bribe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think we are allowed something like $60 per vendor per year according to the ethics policy. Most people just turn it all down because it's a PITA to keep track of everything.

I think it's basically setup to allow a lunch a quarter or something and nothing beyond that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah the UK Civil Service has very strict rules on this with an explicit exception for accepting cups of tea. Not even kidding.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Considering we're the only country that has(had?) the rule about tanks all coming equipped with a tea maker i'm not surprised.

Tea is sacred.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Partycat posted:

If you do it for them they will probably take no action in the future and repeat the same steps.
Yep. If it's a one-off thing I don't mind taking care of it, but if there's a habitual offender I reply "I'm assisting with the first issue listed and then closing this ticket. Please file additional tickets as needed for the rest of the issues."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dogstile posted:

Considering we're the only country that has(had?) the rule about tanks all coming equipped with a tea maker i'm not surprised.

Tea is sacred.

As a weird American who drinks literal liters of tea a day (hot, not sweetened in any way, splash of milk, actual good loose-leaf from Upton Tea), I'd like to agree with you. On the other hand as someone who hates the British, go boil your head in Boveril you limey wanker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Applied for a job on Indeed.com last Monday. Got an email on Wednesday from them, introducing himself and asked for some times to do a phone interview in the next few days. Replied that night, never heard anything back. Sure it's 4th of July week in :911: so I didn't think much of it.

Got a phone call at 10:05 am today. "Hey it's so-and-so from such-and-such, wondering if you were going to make our 10:00 am call or what. I'll try calling again later."

The gently caress? Called back, he said he sent out some calendar invite, said I hadn't heard back and was wondering about that... So he checks his stuff out, and sure enough for whatever reason he didn't send me anything.

We talked about the job for 20-25 minutes, he likes what he sees in my skills and job history, it's in the area... I asked how up to date they are with hardware/software and he said they're almost fully on Windows Server 2016 and are on VMware 6.5, and then I mention I have walked into jobs where they are running VMware 3.5 and have EOL Netapps. I told him how when they opened their new location, one my helpdesk guys said they had a really nice office with an actual server room (we went over there for a tour). We also have them test/demo some of our products (we're in different industries but members of the local manufacturing association and chamber etc). He then said he met with our marketing and IT staff (a year or two before I was hired) and "to say they were behind on things would be an understatement" and laughed a bit.

In-person interview next week one day. Fingers crossed.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

dogstile posted:

Tea is sacred.

This rule came about due to World War 2. Post-war studies showed that a rather large percentage of British tank-crew member deaths resulted from the crew being outside of the tank using a campfire to boil water for their tea. As tea is such a national institution they couldn't ban the practice, so they developed a way to boil the water inside the tanks instead.

American Abrams tanks can be equipped with a similar device, designed to both heat MREs and boil water for coffee.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PremiumSupport posted:

This rule came about due to World War 2. Post-war studies showed that a rather large percentage of British tank-crew member deaths resulted from the crew being outside of the tank using a campfire to boil water for their tea. As tea is such a national institution they couldn't ban the practice, so they developed a way to boil the water inside the tanks instead.

American Abrams tanks can be equipped with a similar device, designed to both heat MREs and boil water for coffee.

It's a $40,000 hot plate

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

tactlessbastard posted:

It's a $40,000 hot plate

Yeah but I want my tankers awake

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

:peanut: :yotj:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Applied for a job on Indeed.com last Monday. Got an email on Wednesday from them, introducing himself and asked for some times to do a phone interview in the next few days. Replied that night, never heard anything back. Sure it's 4th of July week in :911: so I didn't think much of it.

Got a phone call at 10:05 am today. "Hey it's so-and-so from such-and-such, wondering if you were going to make our 10:00 am call or what. I'll try calling again later."

The gently caress? Called back, he said he sent out some calendar invite, said I hadn't heard back and was wondering about that... So he checks his stuff out, and sure enough for whatever reason he didn't send me anything.

We talked about the job for 20-25 minutes, he likes what he sees in my skills and job history, it's in the area... I asked how up to date they are with hardware/software and he said they're almost fully on Windows Server 2016 and are on VMware 6.5, and then I mention I have walked into jobs where they are running VMware 3.5 and have EOL Netapps. I told him how when they opened their new location, one my helpdesk guys said they had a really nice office with an actual server room (we went over there for a tour). We also have them test/demo some of our products (we're in different industries but members of the local manufacturing association and chamber etc). He then said he met with our marketing and IT staff (a year or two before I was hired) and "to say they were behind on things would be an understatement" and laughed a bit.

We're rooting for you, Bob. Other than that small part of all of us that is going to miss your stories. And pictures.

My God, those pictures.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

And alive? :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

When deployed to a war zone the 40k hotplate is replaced with $300 worth of meth and metallica's "ride the lightning"

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Zebra printers are pissing me off.

It seems like every single Zebra in my office has decided it doesn't want to print more than half a page before giving up and blinking an angry red. After pretty much giving up on the first one, a different printer had the same issue. Go out to the warehouse, check the driver, update firmware, replace driver, try another driver... nothing works. Try every type of remedy I can search for, spend about an hour and a half on this printer. After restoring to factory settings (again), I start using the feed button to get to print a configuration status. What does print comes out smeared, which is weird.

So I open it up and take a look at the roll of toner. There's not an inch of the roll left. Another minute to find a replacement roll and it's printing like a beauty.

So printers are pissing me off, but not as much as I am.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

As a weird American who drinks literal liters of tea a day (hot, not sweetened in any way, splash of milk, actual good loose-leaf from Upton Tea), I'd like to agree with you. On the other hand as someone who hates the British, go boil your head in Boveril you limey wanker.

I'd think of an clever comeback but i've got a literal trump card that I can use ;)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

I'd think of an clever comeback but i've got a literal trump card that I can use ;)

Easy now. Wouldn't want to Brexit anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are few things more annoying than people who have the final say on something not committing one way or the other. Currently in a discussion with somebody about making some changes, and this person is ultimately responsible for the site in question. Questions such as "is this service still being used" are just met with answers like "it shouldn't be, no" or "I don't think they use that any more". For fucks sake, your job is to know. We can't even get as far as putting a plan together if you don't know what you want.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

There are few things more annoying than people who have the final say on something not committing one way or the other. Currently in a discussion with somebody about making some changes, and this person is ultimately responsible for the site in question. Questions such as "is this service still being used" are just met with answers like "it shouldn't be, no" or "I don't think they use that any more". For fucks sake, your job is to know. We can't even get as far as putting a plan together if you don't know what you want.

He told you the answer, you just didn't interpret it correctly. Both of the things he said mean, "It is still used and if we push a breaking change they will blow up our support lines or call the highest level executives they have direct access to (lol I'm kidding it's both of those)."

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Thanks Ants posted:

We require manager and executive approval for changes with a certain risk level or higher. Literally, the Change Manager will tell them that the responsibility falls on them and the leaders will be held accountable to know the changes that their teams are implementing.

If a major Incident is caused by the change, then that executive is required to be on the bridge to coordinate the resolution. All communications to the business need to be directly approved by them. The same executive is required to text the CTO every 20 - 30 minutes with an update even if it's nothing.

Our processes attempt to create accountability among leaders to prevent bullshit like this. It's not always perfect, but the leaders quickly get called out on comments like above.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It always tends to come up in discussion with "oh they do still need that but only for a few more weeks, they're moving off that platform. Let's just put something in temporarily".

Nothing is ever temporary, it sticks around for a minimum of ten times longer than first predicted.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress that.

"We are going to unplug this device at noon on Wednesday, and will send out notification once it's done. If you experience any new issues with <thing> after the notification is sent out, open a ticket. If we do not hear about any valid problems related to this device, we are taking it to the crusher at 5pm on Friday."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

gently caress that.

"We are going to unplug this device at noon on Wednesday, and will send out notification once it's done. If you experience any new issues with <thing> after the notification is sent out, open a ticket. If we do not hear about any valid problems related to this device, we are taking it to the crusher at 5pm on Friday."

'have you checked my undocumented pet project that I installed three years ago and never checked up on? I'm pretty sure it uses this device and there could be mission critical processes relying on it. Let's push off the shutdown until we can really nail this down, I'm thinking sometime in September. 2023.'

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

'have you checked my undocumented pet project that I installed three years ago and never checked up on? I'm pretty sure it uses this device and there could be mission critical processes relying on it. Let's push off the shutdown until we can really nail this down, I'm thinking sometime in September. 2023.'
How do you know about all the FoxPro and Oracle Forms 6i apps we still run? :ohdear:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I replaced an access point in my bosses house last night. Did it during working hours, his home is set up like any other business site so whatever.

Two hours later his internet provider starts having issues and his wife thinks i've broken it.

It's also his birthday.

I'm loving cursed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dogstile posted:

I replaced an access point in my bosses house last night. Did it during working hours, his home is set up like any other business site so whatever.

Two hours later his internet provider starts having issues and his wife thinks i've broken it.

It's also his birthday.

I'm loving cursed.

Yet another reason to never work on anyone's personal stuff, whether during or outside work. Somehow, some way, they'll find a way to break it and blame you later. I learned that lesson the hard way with my last 2 jobs and play dumb now, or tell them I won't touch it unless they pay me a ridiculous sum of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually told them if they want to double check they're welcome to hire a contractor to come out and tell them the same thing i'm telling them.

Even said i'd put my money where my mouth is and pay for it if I was wrong. Day later and I was right (they didn't hire the contractor) so yay for me.

Caring for that house is actually part of my work contract, so sadly I can't say "I don't do outside of work jobs" to it.