Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I never knew before this thread that birds could be so cuddly with other birds outside their species, it's super heartwarming. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I think it's safe to say Nicky is doing just fine. She just got buddy buddy with me so she could hop on and use me as a bridge to investigate the Very Interesting sunscreen on the table. And also throw keys on the floor. They were too close to her new friend sunscreen bottle, I think.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

"Pet me pet me pet me pet me PET ME!"

Last night I had one of those lovely never ending night terrors about my own mortality and Serra's. It was one of those typical pet owner dreams of horrifically losing your pet, multiplied by PTSD and OCD.

I don't think I smiled today until seeing that. Thank you kindly!

I am soooo glad you said that. I woke up this morning with the strong feeling that Cricket was gone :( I dreamed that she was sick or hurt, and needed me but I wasn't there to help her, and I "heard" her fall from her perch onto the floor of the cage. I woke up and went, omg....so told myself it was a dream and not to be silly. I went and did my normal routine and got her breakfast together like I do every morning.

I opened the door to her room and went "Good Morning sleepyhead!"

Nothing.

I stood there for a minute, and said "Silly bird, trying to scare me...I said Good Morning!!"

Nothing. Just silence. No shuffling, no beak grinding, nothing at all. Silence.

I walked over to the desk, and put her stuff down, and then I walk over to her cage and go "Cricket? You aren't going to say hello this morning? Silly bird!" All the time I have a lump in my belly getting stronger all the time. I stop at her cage and start to rip off her covers, afraid of what I am going to see...tears starting to pop.... and the cover comes off and I hear "PEEKABOO!! HEY BABY!"

She scared the CRAP out of me :( I wasn't sure if I was dreaming it or not but apparently, I was awake....she just decided to be a brat and make me think she had something happen to her. She has been kissing on me all morning.... god I should be so ARGHHHH at her but all I can do is kiss her back.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Yeah, anxiety dreams are normal for things you care about. But I swear birds can tell when we are anxious and toy with us! Hope you're feeling better.

I met a parrot that kept calling to me, "Heeeewwwwwwo! Heeeewwwwwooooo!" so I decided to risk my ear. I still have said ear.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh I love the candy corn beaks on eclectus boys :3:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Captain Log posted:

But I swear birds can tell when we are anxious and toy with us!

And be super apologetic about it because they didn't mean to actually scare you.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love this comic

http://birdstrips.com/47.html

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013

Reminded me of this.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just now noticed that it’s the bird telling itself no :monocle:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I don't know if it's supposed to be taken as the grey saying "No." is it just repeating the word and has it thinking that because it heard the word "No.", it's not allowed to do whatever it's currently doing whenever it decided to say "No.", but it's funnier to me that way.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sekkira posted:

I don't know if it's supposed to be taken as the grey saying "No." is it just repeating the word and has it thinking that because it heard the word "No.", it's not allowed to do whatever it's currently doing whenever it decided to say "No.", but it's funnier to me that way.

I love Ripley :love: and I have an answer to this! I think I started following Ripley after I saw this comic somewhere

quote:

Ripley has a very good grasp of the word “touch” and we often use it as a command word to get him to try to be less afraid of new things or to ask his permission to pet him. He knows if we ask him to “touch” a person or object, he’ll be praised for gently tapping his beak against it. He also knows exactly what we mean when we ask him not to touch something,

Today I yelled at him for biting the wall and he did probably the pettiest thing I’ve ever seen him do: he went around touching stuff in the room and saying “no” and staring at me to make sure I was watching him do it.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig88ZtM5gRg

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

well, it's better than a toaster

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"can I talk to you for a second"
"good orange, eh?"
"yes, thank you for the productive meeting, back to work"
"agreed"

https://twitter.com/honamii1226/status/957831451080245248

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crouton got THE CONE THE CYLINDER COVERED IN ELASTOPLAST. She was kept in overnight to make sure she didn't react too badly but was happily eating and doing bird things and being well behaved. She is now back home reunited with Galbedir. The only damage done is to her dignity.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nice neck, longneck

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

nice neck, longneck

E X T E N D B I R D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You will pay for this indignity, hooman.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

What’s the longest time y’all have boarded your birds? I’m going to be temp assigned to Boston for 7 weeks before I move to NYC and I’m stressing about it. I don’t want to board them for so long but it would just be unfeasible to move them twice :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton got THE CONE THE CYLINDER COVERED IN ELASTOPLAST. She was kept in overnight to make sure she didn't react too badly but was happily eating and doing bird things and being well behaved. She is now back home reunited with Galbedir. The only damage done is to her dignity.

On the one hand, poor birb.

On the other hand that is absolutely goddamned hilarious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bird in a neck brace!

Here's a question. What can I do for a bird who has pinfeathers on his head and neck but also is highly defensive of his personal space and won't allow either me or the other bird to get close enough to help? That doesn't look comfortable.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

Bird in a neck brace!

Here's a question. What can I do for a bird who has pinfeathers on his head and neck but also is highly defensive of his personal space and won't allow either me or the other bird to get close enough to help? That doesn't look comfortable.

Baths and showers are helpful, and there are preening toys that let them rub themselves to remove pins. Also persistence and gentle encouragement to allow you to help haha

Oh god I looked up boarding costs for 7 weeks and now I'm thinking I'll fly them with me? I'm stressing super bad about this haha. Has anyone flown with birds here?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

Baths and showers are helpful, and there are preening toys that let them rub themselves to remove pins. Also persistence and gentle encouragement to allow you to help haha

Oh god I looked up boarding costs for 7 weeks and now I'm thinking I'll fly them with me? I'm stressing super bad about this haha. Has anyone flown with birds here?

Flying with birds is easy-peasy with most airlines. I've done it on a few occasions: once with my bonded pair of cockatiels, once with Ama, most recently with Ama and Charlie.

Call the airline you're flying with and make a reservation. It's usually ~100, 125 dollars to take a pet carrier in-cabin. You'll need to buy a carrier that fits their dimension requirements, which should be listed on their website. Most airlines seem to only allow one cat or one dog per carrier, and one carrier per passenger, but they permit two birds per carrier if they both fit comfortably.

Since my cockatiels were bonded they just chilled in the same carrier unseparated. For Amadeus and Charlemagne I had a large soft-sided carrier, and a second, smaller soft-sided carrier that could wedge securely inside the first one. Charlie was in the embedded carrier and Ama was in the open space remaining in the big one. They both had plenty of room, some snacks, and could see and talk to each other.

When you go through security they'll take you into a side room and you'll need to take the birds out so that they can scan the carriers, so be prepared for that. I thought Charlie was going to be super jumpy and/or bitey for this part but he seemed nervous but okay since Ama and I were there. He just sat on my hand and gave the TSA lady extreme side-eye.

On the actual plane they'll want you to stick the carrier under the seat in front of you, so if you have another carry-on be sure you'll have room to fit it in a bin. The bird carrier needs to stay under the seat for the whole flight, but there was nobody in the seat next to me on the most recent flight so I cheated for part of it :cool:

Flyin' in style.

Also, in my experience, TSA agents are slightly annoyed by the extra steps a carton full of birds entails, but flight attendants are totally charmed :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 3, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also, in my experience, TSA agents are slightly annoyed by the extra steps a carton full of birds entails, but flight attendants are totally charmed :lol:

So what you're saying is always bring your birds

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I have also flown with birds, the experience was fine. We flew Syracuse -> Seattle in 2015 on United I think. Their only requirement was pet ticket ($125/bird) and carriers that fit under the seat, 1 pet per person. TSA in Syracuse didn't make us take the birds out but they could have. They thought the birds were cute but SYR is a smallish not busy airport.

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 3, 2018

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Flying with birds is easy-peasy with most airlines. I've done it on a few occasions: once with my bonded pair of cockatiels, once with Ama, most recently with Ama and Charlie.

Call the airline you're flying with and make a reservation. It's usually ~100, 125 dollars to take a pet carrier in-cabin. You'll need to buy a carrier that fits their dimension requirements, which should be listed on their website. Most airlines seem to only allow one cat or one dog per carrier, and one carrier per passenger, but they permit two birds per carrier if they both fit comfortably.

Since my cockatiels were bonded they just chilled in the same carrier unseparated. For Amadeus and Charlemagne I had a large soft-sided carrier, and a second, smaller soft-sided carrier that could wedge securely inside the first one. Charlie was in the embedded carrier and Ama was in the open space remaining in the big one. They both had plenty of room, some snacks, and could see and talk to each other.

When you go through security they'll take you into a side room and you'll need to take the birds out so that they can scan the carriers, so be prepared for that. I thought Charlie was going to be super jumpy and/or bitey for this part but he seemed nervous but okay since Ama and I were there. He just sat on my hand and gave the TSA lady extreme side-eye.

On the actual plane they'll want you to stick the carrier under the seat in front of you, so if you have another carry-on be sure you'll have room to fit it in a bin. The bird carrier needs to stay under the seat for the whole flight, but there was nobody in the seat next to me on the most recent flight so I cheated for part of it :cool:

Flyin' in style.

Pip pip pip posted:

I have also flown with birds, the experience was fine. We flew Syracuse -> Seattle in 2015 on United I think. Their only requirement was pet ticket ($125/bird) and carriers that fit under the seat, 1 pet per person. TSA in Syracuse didn't make us take the birds out but they could have. They thought the birds were cute but SYR is a smallish not busy airport.

Ok woosh. I got super stressed for a bit haha. I'm thinking I'm going to get this carrier for my Nanday (size of a sun conure basically) and GCC. https://www.celltei.com/products/in-cabin-airline-travel-bird-carrier-standard-size.html
They travelled together before (14 hour drive woooo) and were totally fine, they are very friendly/chill with eachother. Debating if this will be big enough.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Before you buy, I would call the airline to make sure they don't have extra requirements - when I flew, it was 1 pet per carrier, 1 pet per passenger. LAB had a different experience than this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pip pip pip posted:

Before you buy, I would call the airline to make sure they don't have extra requirements - when I flew, it was 1 pet per carrier, 1 pet per passenger. LAB had a different experience than this.

I'm actually really surprised by this, by the way, if it was United whomever made your reservations misinterpreted their policies and double-charged you. Their website explicitly states two birds are allowed per carrier -- it's been like that at least since 2009.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pip pip pip posted:

I called United after you posted this, and it's ok to have 2 birds per cage but it is $125 per ticket, so $250 for round trip. I'm mostly surprised that so few carriers allow in-cabin birds. The idea of my birds being in the cargo hold makes me a bit sick with anxiety.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You will pay for this indignity, hooman.

actually he kind of looks like he's down for it

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm actually really surprised by this, by the way, if it was United whomever made your reservations misinterpreted their policies and double-charged you. Their website explicitly states two birds are allowed per carrier -- it's been like that at least since 2009.

Welp, Nugget would have been super pissed to share a carrier with Ozzy anyway. Maybe it was a different airline. I remember reading the website and it was pretty explicit re:1 pet per carrier. There was an exception for very young animals.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

omg :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
That birb brace is the funniest drat thing I've seen in weeks. What the hell is elastoplast? Cast material?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/1gS6ZH3.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

"This treat doesn't work!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

That birb brace is the funniest drat thing I've seen in weeks. What the hell is elastoplast? Cast material?

Elastoplast is a band-aid made of fabric basically. I assume it's around the hard plastic of the collar so it doesn't cut or otherwise irritate her.

It's also bird flesh coloured so when I first caught sight of her out of the corner of my eye I had a shock as I thought something had gone horribly wrong and they'd had to shave her neck.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Hi bird crazies thread! I'm pretty new to bird ownership, but that didn't stop my bf and I getting a galah. Alfi asks 'what are you doing?' all the time and loves scritches and chewing on everything.
https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/1014649482649034752

He's a rehome. His last owner said that he reminded her of her newly deceased princess parrot, so she had to find a new home for him. His left wing is broken, and has been so for over 6 months. We took him to the vet yesterday and it turns out that there's no fixing his wing, unfortunately. Maybe if he'd been taken to the vet when the injury happened they would've been able to set it correctly but I get the impression he hadn't ever been to the vet about it.

My bf also has two GCCs from his previous relationship. They're lovely, but they also barely tolerate me. Midi (regular GCC) has attacked my face twice. I've been trying to be friendly (feeding him, talking to him, and just generally hanging around) but no dice. :( Maru on the other hand (pineapplecinnamon) is currently hormonal but is kind of cool with me, but she hates hands.
https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/987154093452902400

They're all so cute though :3:

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 5, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
A galah is my white whale bird. :3: So adorable! You've found the right place for advice!

Also, I have some hysterical bird videos but my iphone won't export. :angry:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

yoshesque posted:

Hi bird crazies thread! I'm pretty new to bird ownership, but that didn't stop my bf and I getting a galah. Alfi asks 'what are you doing?' all the time and loves scritches and chewing on everything.
https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/1014649482649034752

He's a rehome. His last owner said that he reminded her of her newly deceased princess parrot, so she had to find a new home for him. His left wing is broken, and has been so for over 6 months. We took him to the vet yesterday and it turns out that there's no fixing his wing, unfortunately. Maybe if he'd been taken to the vet when the injury happened they would've been able to set it correctly but I get the impression he hadn't ever been to the vet about it.

My bf also has two GCCs from his previous relationship. They're lovely, but they also barely tolerate me. Midi (regular GCC) has attacked my face twice. I've been trying to be friendly (feeding him, talking to him, and just generally hanging around) but no dice. :( Maru on the other hand (pineapple) is currently hormonal but is kind of cool with me, but she hates hands.
https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/987154093452902400

They're all so cute though :3:

I'm glad Alfi was able to find a good home with you! That's incredibly sad about his wing and just getting neglected like that. Cockatoos are such terrors and sweethearts all in one, and then you've got the lovely twosome (so handsome!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

A galah is my white whale bird. :3: So adorable! You've found the right place for advice!

move to australia, scatter some seed in your front yard, and just wait...