Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Perfectly Safe posted:

No, it's clearly not a waste of time because you can say "Rein, please can you just walk in with your shield up"

"Rein, you're shielding nothing" seems to go over well too. Situational awareness in the front is harder than it is in the back, and not all of them look around to see who's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

flakeloaf posted:

"Rein, you're shielding nothing" seems to go over well too. Situational awareness in the front is harder than it is in the back, and not all of them look around to see who's left.

Yes, and this is a thing that I'm generally trying to improve on when I'm playing support - telling the Rein what's going on and specifically saying "the whole team's behind you" or at least "I'm with you". I play a bit of Rein and swinging the camera is awkward and you don't want to look away if you're facing off against an enemy Rein anyway.

Moira has a similar issue in that she has to lock eyes with whatever she's dealing with - none of the other supports have to do this. It's hardly surprising that Moira players specifically get a bit tunnel-visioned at times.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

Obviously I'm talking about people engaging in consistent behaviours that are problematic. Not getting healing at all from your main heal is problematic. Your main tank endlessly suiciding is problematic. We're not talking about the "oh, Moira's using right click instead if healing me I shall shout into my mic", or "Rein did a bad charge I shall accuse him of throwing".

You should be able to have grown-up communications with your team and deal with this sort of thing.

e: it's not worth arguing, we're clearly on different wavelengths here.

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 2, 2018

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Perfectly Safe posted:

Moira has a similar issue in that she has to lock eyes with whatever she's dealing with - none of the other supports have to do this. It's hardly surprising that Moira players specifically get a bit tunnel-visioned at times.

Worth noting that this is way worse for Ana.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The issue of whether or not one's input is actually valid is what I was talking about in my other post. Toxic stuff like "you're throwing! you're dumb! kys!" is obviously off the table.

I agree with you that no matter what's happening in the game, you should be able to talk about it in a constructive manner. That's what endos and LFG promote. But with your specific examples, i.e. healers and tanks not doing their jobs, I never got anywhere with those particular comments in my experience. Usually it's met with an "Actually, I am doing my job. The real problem is X."

My experience is quite the opposite. Sometimes people are trying out new heroes in comp for the first time and don't really know how to interact with the team. Sometimes they're of the mind that they have to do it all on their own. Sometimes they know their own hero really well but don't know enough about the heroes they're playing with. Certain characters get really tunnel-visioned just based on how they operate. People generally respond to input ok (somewhere in the range of grudging to grateful). Sometimes they say it's actually X, and sometimes they have a point. You can sort this stuff out. It is far better than not saying anything for fear of criticising someone, which was my original point. In any case, we'll have to agree to differ on the practicality of commenting on the behaviour of other members of the team because we've had different experiences for whatever reason. Might be level or something, who knows.

Nothing to see here, move along :toughguy:

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

You're wasting your time if you do that. You're the same SR as the people you're complaining about. You're making just as many mistakes as they are. Instead of asking them to do different things, focus on your own game. You'll get way more value out of doing that because game to game your teammates will change.

Excuse me but the "you're the same SR" line is bullshit. If you're Diamond or upwards you deserved whatever high rank you've got but in the bottom tiers it's mostly luck of the draw on the matchmaking. I've got two accounts, one of them in Plat and the other in low silver running on Bronze after a miserable 10 placements loss run, so whether you consider my "true" SR level as a Plat or near Bronze player, I most assuredly am not on the same level of the people I'm playing with on one of these accounts. Also, if SR was such a great skill equalizer you wouldn't routinely get so many one sided team stompings.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Perfectly Safe posted:

No, it's clearly not a waste of time because you can say "Rein, please can you just walk in with your shield up" and, you know, he'll do it and you'll win rather than lose. Effective communication with the rest of your team is one of the things that you can do to improve your game. It's not all just getting better at shootymans.

There's absolutely nothing's stopping you from working on your own game at the same time, in any case.

It really depends on the communication. Telling someone how to play their class is generally a mistake. You're not going to know better than they do how to play the class. For example, I just played 160 games of Rein last season at Diamond. If some Mercy main tries to tell me what to do, they're probably gonna be wrong. I've got way more experience playing Rein than they do. The only way they might have more knowledge than me in that case would be is if they're a smurf.

Good communication for me is more general things like Doomfist flanking at [x] or hey Rein please hold shield a second while I rez Genji.

Bad communication would be telling people when to ult (pointless unless you're an actual good shot caller, and most people below GM aren't), or hey guys let's all go into the left room on Anubis even though they have a Junkrat. Obviously there's a few exceptions there such as if you're tossing a Grav and you have Hanzo ult you should probably call it out as you toss Grav, etc.

Basically, I'd say don't shot call unless you're exceptional at it. Trust that people know the basics about how to play their class. If they don't, you won't fix them in one game anyways. Telling Rein to just press w and walk forward is imo not the best shot call to make because if the Rein isn't walking forward there's usually (unless you're at a low SR) a good reason for that such as he needs more support from dps/heals to get through the choke without dying.

Max Awfuls posted:

Excuse me but the "you're the same SR" line is bullshit. If you're Diamond or upwards you deserved whatever high rank you've got but in the bottom tiers it's mostly luck of the draw on the matchmaking. I've got two accounts, one of them in Plat and the other in low silver running on Bronze after a miserable 10 placements loss run, so whether you consider my "true" SR level as a Plat or near Bronze player, I most assuredly am not on the same level of the people I'm playing with on one of these accounts. Also, if SR was such a great skill equalizer you wouldn't routinely get so many one sided team stompings.

Bad luck is possible at any SR. I had a 2-11 run last season when I was just about to hit Masters. Was I 2-11 levels of bad? Probably not, some of that was just bad luck.

And even a GM smurf at plat is still probably only gonna win something like 70% of their matches. That means 3/10 games someone of Blinky's ability is still gonna lose in a Plat game. But if Blinky plays enough games, he'll get to GM no matter how unlucky he gets with matchmaking because his skill level is such that he'll win enough games to get there.

If you're closer to a Plat level player than a Bronze, you'll climb. It's inevitable. It might take a good amount of games because bad luck with the matchmaker can be a thing, but over time it would stabilize.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

My experience is quite the opposite. Sometimes people are trying out new heroes in comp for the first time and don't really know how to interact with the team. Sometimes they're of the mind that they have to do it all on their own. Sometimes they know their own hero really well but don't know enough about the heroes they're playing with. Certain characters get really tunnel-visioned just based on how they operate. People generally respond to input ok (somewhere in the range of grudging to grateful). Sometimes they say it's actually X, and sometimes they have a point. You can sort this stuff out. It is far better than not saying anything for fear of criticising someone, which was my original point. In any case, we'll have to agree to differ on the practicality of commenting on the behaviour of other members of the team because we've had different experiences for whatever reason. Might be level or something, who knows.

Nothing to see here, move along :toughguy:

poo poo, I got pretty owned. Here's your Sportsmanship endo.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Ginette Reno posted:

It really depends on the communication. Telling someone how to play their class is generally a mistake. You're not going to know better than they do how to play the class. For example, I just played 160 games of Rein last season at Diamond. If some Mercy main tries to tell me what to do, they're probably gonna be wrong. I've got way more experience playing Rein than they do. The only way they might have more knowledge than me in that case would be is if they're a smurf.

Yeah, you're playing at a level at which it would be very unlikely to run into a player who was just constantly suiciding, I imagine. I also suspect that you would actually say something if someone was plunging in to their deaths repeatedly and not changing their behaviour, although you'd have the benefit of pretty much knowing that it was a troll/thrower and not someone who thought that they just weren't getting enough healing.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

poo poo, I got pretty owned. Here's your Sportsmanship endo.

You can have Good Teammate but know that you were my third pick and the other choice was suicide Rein.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yeah, you're playing at a level at which it would be very unlikely to run into a player who was just constantly suiciding, I imagine. I also suspect that you would actually say something if someone was plunging in to their deaths repeatedly and not changing their behaviour, although you'd have the benefit of pretty much knowing that it was a troll/thrower and not someone who thought that they just weren't getting enough healing.

I will concede that at lower SRs it's harder to see if people are throwing or just really bad.

The good news is the other team is usually going to be making just as many throw plays, so it does balance out no matter what SR you're at. If you can make just a few less mistakes, you can win enough games to climb.

This is true regardless of the SR you are.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think with Pharah they need to change it so her concussive missile is more useful, either by massively reducing it's cooldown or by making it more effective at it's job, whether that's through making it push harder, cover a larger radius, or even have it fire multiple shots

Cause right now it's probably one of the most underwhelming abilities in the game

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
12 seconds feels like a lifetime in this game anymore

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

dropping yourself into the enemy team and immediately dying is fun?

I don't think cratering yourself to avoid hitscan is even particularly useful. you should be playing around cover in the air in the first place, so if you need to drop fast to safety then you already hosed up. you're also wasting the active you used to get into the air, so now you're stuck on the ground waiting for it to come back. it's not like they won't know where you are either since pharah's slow
Well...yeah. That's kind of the point. Where did you get the idea it'd be anything other than a "oh poo poo I really hosed up time to get out of here" button? Nobody was saying anything else. I don't know about you, but I gently caress up at this game, because I'm not perfect. I'm not saying it'd be balanced, I'm saying I'd like it. Or reduce the cooldown on concshot so I can use that to move laterally more often too, that'd be cool.

flakeloaf posted:

Being able to give a "Tough Opponent" commendation to opposing players wouldn't be the worst thing.
Yeah, I kept wanting to give someone who shut me down well a little commendation too, but I guess that's more about their technical skill rather than their teamwork or w/e.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

As a personal rule, if I'm ever messing around in QP I automatically give an endo to anyone who played a main tank. Playing a main tank with a herd of cats and an off healer is a fool's errand, but you have to respect their doggedness. god bless 'em

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hammond is the best thing Blizzard has done in a decade if only for the nerd rage about him. He's also fun as hell.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I kept wanting to give someone who shut me down well a little commendation too, but I guess that's more about their technical skill rather than their teamwork or w/e.

Same... I don't think it would be the worst thing to make "Shot Caller" an acceptable enemy commendation to give, because there were a few games where it was very clear who was making the plays that got poo poo done for them.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Ginette Reno posted:

I will concede that at lower SRs it's harder to see if people are throwing or just really bad.

The good news is the other team is usually going to be making just as many throw plays, so it does balance out no matter what SR you're at. If you can make just a few less mistakes, you can win enough games to climb.

This is true regardless of the SR you are.

And if you can reduce the throw plays on your own team by just saying something rather than thinking "well, he probably knows what he's doing" then you can win more matches.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Honest question, are you GM or higher? Do you have coaching experience? Do you do pugs? Unless you have an in-depth and extensive knowledge of how the game should be played, who are you to speak in such broad hypotheticals?

My dude I get that being told that you’re doing dumb poo poo in a match isn’t fun but a person does not need to have a loving resume to tell someone “hey this thing you’re doing is really not helping”.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

being nice to people is easy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

My dude I get that being told that you’re doing dumb poo poo in a match isn’t fun but a person does not need to have a loving resume to tell someone “hey this thing you’re doing is really not helping”.

When I make a group for LFG, every player is required to submit a 5 page essay (single spaced) about advanced Overwatch theory. Those who fail to do so, well, *chuckles softly while hitting the Report for Gameplay Sabotage button*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

When I make a group for LFG, every player is required to submit a 5 page essay (single spaced) about advanced Overwatch theory. Those who fail to do so, well, *chuckles softly while hitting the Report for Gameplay Sabotage button*

Will you accept 5 pages of “Just click heads 4Head”

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

flakeloaf posted:

Being able to give a "Tough Opponent" commendation to opposing players wouldn't be the worst thing.

Nope. Being tough doesn't mean they were nice or cool, which is what commendations are for.

Imagine the following scenario: you get killed over and over by a Widowmaker on the other team, but even so your team manages to get the win. You send Widow a tough opponent commendation. What you don't know is that in voice chat on the other team, the Widow spent the whole match screaming that no one was on the point while she was getting kills, calling everyone gay, and announcing that the team was trash.

That widow already does get a reward, if she's actually good. Her SR goes up, or in qp she wins more matches and gets more xp!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Nope. Being tough doesn't mean they were nice or cool, which is what commendations are for.

Imagine the following scenario: you get killed over and over by a Widowmaker on the other team, but even so your team manages to get the win. You send Widow a tough opponent commendation. What you don't know is that in voice chat on the other team, the Widow spent the whole match screaming that no one was on the point while she was getting kills, calling everyone gay, and announcing that the team was trash.

That widow already does get a reward, if she's actually good. Her SR goes up, or in qp she wins more matches and gets more xp!

This argument doesn't make much sense when you consider the fact that you already can give the enemy team commendations and this would apply equally to that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

thexerox123 posted:

This argument doesn't make much sense when you consider the fact that you already can give the enemy team commendations and this would apply equally to that.

So give them the sportsmanship commendation if you think they were tough & enjoy. I'd wager most people are not going to give the enemy team commendations unless there is a specific commendation suiting them (ex. "tough opponent").

It's about rewarding good behavior, not sick frags (you have card votes for that alongside the stuff already mentioned).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

How is sportsmanship even supposed to be a thing across enemy teams in this game?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Sometimes people are funny or lighthearted about the match in chat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Sometimes people are funny or lighthearted about the match in chat.

I play on Xbox, so any type of commendation other than that would make more sense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/8vgwy7/blizzard_we_need_to_talk_everyone_is_calling_your/

I really like the suggestion to go with the French pun and rename him his mech to "Balldozer". That just straight up sounds Junkertown in a way that "Wrecking Ball" doesn't, and sticks closer to Roadhog/Junkrat.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

turtlecrunch posted:

A good point.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

thexerox123 posted:

How is sportsmanship even supposed to be a thing across enemy teams in this game?

Well, if they're sportsmanlike in their match comms. If they congratulate you on the win and a good game if it was, indeed, a good game. If they commiserate over a leaver. Some people really do treat it like a fun game, which is nice and good and may be worth encouraging if you've got an endorsement to spare. It's the only endorsement that you can really give the enemy team.

That is sportsmanship in pretty much all games - gracious in defeat and victory. Don't give it to the guy who slams "ez" into match chat. That guy's a dick.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I like how the characters feel like a mix of both DoTA and Team Fortress. Like the turret guy is obviously the engineer, while Junkrat seems like a mix of the demo and of the suicidal goblin character from DoTA. Cultural appropriation.

Speaking of which, one of Symmetra's dresses is a qipao, and as far as I can tell she's Indian. Where's the leftist outrage?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hello there everyone. I haven’t played Overwatch for a year and then found out that Symmetra had another rework. Tried her out and my love and obsession for her was reborn to new levels. This is my story. I am trash, but at least I’ll have fun being trash.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

Hello there everyone. I haven’t played Overwatch for a year and then found out that Symmetra had another rework. Tried her out and my love and obsession for her was reborn to new levels. This is my story. I am trash, but at least I’ll have fun being trash.

One Symmetra main dies, another is born.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

I like how the characters feel like a mix of both DoTA and Team Fortress. Like the turret guy is obviously the engineer, while Junkrat seems like a mix of the demo and of the suicidal goblin character from DoTA. Cultural appropriation.

Speaking of which, one of Symmetra's dresses is a qipao, and as far as I can tell she's Indian. Where's the leftist outrage?

This kind of posting is obnoxious and unnecessary. Please do not.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
le troll face striks again xd xd xd

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

le troll face striks again xd xd xd

I am so mad you cannot even see the sun for how bright my face is shining!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Mmm, I see, good points good points. But have you considered my gaping rear end in a top hat?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's reportable? When people actually raised a stink about pharah's native american costumes until they made her egyptian-native american in the lore?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think wearing a Chinese-style dress falls under "cultural exchange" in a way that a rocket launcher shaped like a totem pole does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
This is what this thread's about now.