Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Zoro playing JezzBall with Pica's statue was pretty cool.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my major gripe with sanji is his gimmick was way, way, way too over the top for a while

also chopper is probably my least favorite strawhat but holy poo poo oda please give him more moments to shine

every other character is Extremely Good And Also My Husband

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

This thread makes me feel like I have super low standards because very little bothers me in One Piece. I know most of the criticism comes from a place of love and the fun of analyzing a great story, but most of these things don’t occur to me until I look at various forums.

And yes, that includes the birdcage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's odd that he hasn't learned Rankyaku yet. Is Oda deliberately avoiding it because he doesn't want Sanji's fighting style to become too much like Zoro's?

Hell Memories is kinda that, tbh. Also the strawhats haven’t finished getting stronger yet between Usopp becoming woke, Nami seducing Zeus and Luffy taking his mantra to the next level, it’s not inconceivable that Sanji’ll master most of the seven arts besides Bullet Finger just by pushing himself enough as a non-fruit user.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mumbling posted:

This thread makes me feel like I have super low standards because very little bothers me in One Piece. I know most of the criticism comes from a place of love and the fun of analyzing a great story, but most of these things don’t occur to me until I look at various forums.

tbh one piece is my favorite Thing, ever, probably. i still think it has issues but its like just so amazing otherwise.

the absolute sense of wonder and worldbuilding is rivaled by few series, but i also love punchy people and ensemble casts. one piece is the only thing thats got it all for me.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Last Celebration posted:

Hell Memories is kinda that, tbh. Also the strawhats haven’t finished getting stronger yet between Usopp becoming woke, Nami seducing Zeus and Luffy taking his mantra to the next level, it’s not inconceivable that Sanji’ll master most of the seven arts besides Bullet Finger just by pushing himself enough as a non-fruit user.

Sanji has a Sentai suit he hasn't used yet. Never forget this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

anime was right posted:

my major gripe with sanji is his gimmick was way, way, way too over the top for a while

also chopper is probably my least favorite strawhat but holy poo poo oda please give him more moments to shine

every other character is Extremely Good And Also My Husband
one of my least favorite characters in media is the arrogant mascot character who is actually useless but won't ever admit it and it's what i worried chopper would be

chopper is exact opposite of that and I love him. I still laugh whenever oda does Chopper Doesn't Know How To Hide gag

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 3, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mumbling posted:

This thread makes me feel like I have super low standards because very little bothers me in One Piece. I know most of the criticism comes from a place of love and the fun of analyzing a great story, but most of these things dont occur to me until I look at various forums.

Same. Even the biggest complaints from this thread are mostly just nitpicks to me, particularly compared to other comics I've read which can have very real problems in their writing and presentation.

The real complaints about One Piece are all around the other media it's produced. Games, movies, anime, they're the ones that have big issues worth complaining about.

The manga itself? It's not perfect but I'll be damned if I can name anything better.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
theres one enormous thing i hate about one piece but i give oda a soft pass because japan is like 30 years behind on every social issue.

everything else is yeah, kinda minor gripes. i think a lot of it dwells on the weekly nature of things and oda basically set up a world with so much bullshit that from time to time that bullshit kinda defies suspension of disbelief.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I miss the combo attacks the crew used to use everyone's gotten to strong :(

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Asura is ... not very well explained, and rarely if ever comes up again.

I liked the ending of Zoro vs. Pica, and Kaku got to show off a lot of cool moves, but I do think it's fair to say that there isn't much variety in Zoro's fighting style, and his tendency to be paired with other swordsmen for fights limits the variety of his opponents' fighting styles.

Sanji's fighting style isn't actually much more interesting in theory, but Oda deals with this reasonably well by giving him goofy gimmick fights where he clowns on male opponents with weird powers or gets clowned on by female opponents with weird powers. The only drawn-out even fights I remember Sanji getting are Bon Kurei and Jabra. Bon Kurei mostly works, in part because it's still a gimmick fight in some ways, but Sanji vs. Jabra is fairly boring.

The most fun Straw Hat to see fight is Usopp, because he's always using weird tricks to fight someone stronger. Nami should be fun for similar reasons, but in practice it often feels like she only wins because her opponent isn't trying very hard (Ms. Doublefinger is the biggest offender here).

Some of best Zoro fights are on Skypiea. Zoro vs Brahm and Zoro vs Ohm are real entertaining because it isn’t just a contest of strength. He has to figure out how to reach them when they have both mobility and dangerous weapons which he absolutely can’t get hit by. It looks even better animated because seeing Brahm jump around is just bloody cool to watch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro cutting Monet was cool af

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mumbling posted:

This is me.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

anime was right posted:

theres one enormous thing i hate about one piece but i give oda a soft pass because japan is like 30 years behind on every social issue.

everything else is yeah, kinda minor gripes. i think a lot of it dwells on the weekly nature of things and oda basically set up a world with so much bullshit that from time to time that bullshit kinda defies suspension of disbelief.

is it the okama because that makes me shift in my seat but normally oda is pretty great with social issues, fishman island was a huge MLK/malcolm x analogue that i didnt expect in a shounen jump manga

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Zoro cutting Monet was cool af

Zoro has had much more interesting combat moments in the new world in general; Monet, Pica and now his badass dagger slice are all cool moments that use his strength in more interesting ways than just hitting someone really hard with fancy visuals.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I do feel that we're due for a foe that really pushes him to his limits though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Zoro has had much more interesting combat moments in the new world in general; Monet, Pica and now his badass dagger slice are all cool moments that use his strength in more interesting ways than just hitting someone really hard with fancy visuals.

Also cutting Hodi underwater :zoro:

Mulderman posted:

I do feel that we're due for a foe that really pushes him to his limits though.

Couldn't agree more and Wano better have a bunch of awesome Zoro moments and him revealing a new ability/style technique thing.

I also hope we get more of those Member of The Strawhat Pirates: X chapters and they're a theme like "The Xth" ones

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anime was right posted:

ya oda went a little too far with it from the okama island stuff through to fishman island. part of it is that he had no mr prince moments for at least as long, so sanji was mostly just a bad joke for a while

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
wano is definitely gonna have us see zoro getting sonned by someone who is straight up outskilling him they'll be physically weaker than him and he'll pick up on a technique to overcome them maybe multi-sword iaido techniques are coming.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the shogun is going to be able to cut through zoros cuts or something batshit of the sorts

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd be interested in one of the "normal" human crew getting their hands on a devil fruit and adding it to their arsenal. I don't think we've seen that process explored in detail in the manga, learning the fruit powers and such, especially not from someone with an already high skill level.

I think Usopp would be fun with a fruit power and would come up with the most ways to exploit it. Zoro or Sanji with a fruit power added to their ridiculous strength would be wild too. I think it's one of the few power-up methods that would seem like a real surprise this far in, and while I like that the crew has their own unique skills and traits I think that even though it comes with a huge drawback for a pirate it kind of stretches belief to have them all know that superpowers are a bite away and they never seem to show any interest in them.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I believe Franky and Sanji have already said they prefer to be able to swim, maybe Zoro too

Edit: would it even work on Franky? Didn't Kuma lose his paw paw powers after his compete cyborgization?

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 3, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

NowonSA posted:

I'd be interested in one of the "normal" human crew getting their hands on a devil fruit and adding it to their arsenal. I don't think we've seen that process explored in detail in the manga, learning the fruit powers and such, especially not from someone with an already high skill level.

I think Usopp would be fun with a fruit power and would come up with the most ways to exploit it. Zoro or Sanji with a fruit power added to their ridiculous strength would be wild too. I think it's one of the few power-up methods that would seem like a real surprise this far in, and while I like that the crew has their own unique skills and traits I think that even though it comes with a huge drawback for a pirate it kind of stretches belief to have them all know that superpowers are a bite away and they never seem to show any interest in them.

We did have Kaku and Kalifa eating the fruit just before their battle with the strawhats. But those were highly capable fighters before eating the fruit. So them figuring out how to adapt it into their fighting style makes sense. I don't think any of the establishing cast is going to obtain a fruit power. They all seem pretty set in their way.
Sanji has that Germa suit
Franky can upgrade himself
Usopp has his Pop Greens
Nami just got Zeus

And I feel a DF would take away from Zoro's goal of becoming the ultimate swordsman.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Mostly I feel like it would suit Usopp. It's just too much of a really funny and fun situation to have him eat a good fruit and do something insane like legitimately beat Zoro in a sparring match with it, but with a trick that would only work once, or start adding the fruit tricks to his existing arsenal.

Basically the existing formula of everyone on the crew having a few moments to shine in any given arc, whether in battle or not, definitely works, but I'm eager to see someone get a more dynamic power-up. All the time-skip power jumps were really cool, and stuff like Chekov's Raid Suit and Zeus charming is certainly a big step in the right direction, but they're basically acknowledged as at the level of the Yonkou now, so I guess now I'm hoping for Usopp to get a fruit power that you might not necessarily expect him to get, and then to develop that into being something super effective just because he's pretty much the top strategy guy in the crew right now, as far as I know.

Oh and P.S. bring back Trafalgar Law and have him cruise around with Luffy all the time thanks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
my favorite straw hat is luffy, due to him always fighting his best for his friends

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

my favorite straw hat is luffy, due to him always fighting his best for his friends
same, love that guy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did Carrot de-graving to avoid Zoro's sword ever get fully explained? Was it to do with her Sulon ability?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I think that was more of a matter of being a bunny mink.
Minks have enhanced capabilities based on their animal counterpart. So Carrot is just really agile. I guess she was bunny hopping.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

I believe Franky and Sanji have already said they prefer to be able to swim, maybe Zoro too

Edit: would it even work on Franky? Didn't Kuma lose his paw paw powers after his compete cyborgization?

I don't think Zoro cares about being able to swim, but his goal is to become the strongest swordsman, so I don't think he's interested in incorporating non-swordsmanship powers into his fighting style.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The opening chords of Momentary Life ran through my head when I saw Zoro being sentenced to execution. I feel like I should save it for the fight with the big bad evil guy of the arc, though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just did a read through of the series up to Thriller, and boy howdy it's better than I remembered. So many small, small moments between the arcs like running into Wapol before Drum, or Sanji fighting Mr.2. Or the whole Jaya island up to Skypiea. Heck, I recall hating Skypiea, but even that's not too bad on a re-read.

One fun thing to me is that it really sticks out how well the fights are laid out to relative strengths. Like, the crew doesn't really get the poo poo kicked out of them until Arlong, and afterwards there's usually something holding them back. Basically, there's very little super sayian transformations going on, but rather the environment/situation dictates why the Straw hats might be struggling.

It always bothered me a lot in Bleach that the fights seemed to always go:

- hero vs. villain
- hero has upperhand
- villain transforms into their real form!
- hero is at the end of their rope!
- ah but hero has a secret new technique!
- hero wins, smiles, passes out

...and in this series that does happen, but the 'transform' or 'technique' bit is usually insight or a situational thing– like Luffy beating lightening man with that giant ball of gold attached to his arm. It's usually not just pulled out of their rear end, basically.

tl;dr: I'm just saying I appreciate the extra thought put into the fights, and how it feels significantly more natural. Even if OP does on occasion follow that pattern pretty closely.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

The opening chords of Momentary Life ran through my head when I saw Zoro being sentenced to execution. I feel like I should save it for the fight with the big bad evil guy of the arc, though.

no. momentary life is pretty good for a warming act.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im afraid Oda wont do anything interesting with Zoro since he still has that promise to never lose thing.
And itd feel weird if he did lose to someone who isnt a big storyline player.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if anyone gets a fruit it should be usopp’s kabuto

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im afraid Oda wont do anything interesting with Zoro since he still has that promise to never lose thing.
And itd feel weird if he did lose to someone who isnt a big storyline player.

As I've pointed out, Zoro has lost since then.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

He doesn't have to lose. But It'll be nice to see a fight like the one with Daz Bones or Kaku again. Zoro being pushed to his limits and surpassing those during battle.

oddium posted:

if anyone gets a fruit it should be usopp’s kabuto

This is a good idea.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

iirc his losses since Baratie have been:
- vs. Arlong
- vs. Enel
- vs. Kuma (at Thriller Bark and Sabaody)

But he hasn't lost against another swordsman, so I think his promise still technically stands.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

I always took this promise to mean that he wont lose in a swordfight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

- vs. Arlong
- vs. Enel

But he hasn't lost against another swordsman, so I think his promise still technically stands.

he lost to cp9 with luffy on water 7 too. maybe other times as well but idk

it does probably mean swordsmen only, if only because otherwise that promise was broken like a day after he made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

- vs. Arlong
- vs. Enel

But he specifically refused to fight Crocodile because he would lose, and Crocodile isn't a swordsman.