Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

this is gonna be the most one sided vote ever

Which side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Those are good last words.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Started playing God of War two days ago and I am hooooked!! :D

God of War (PS4) and Destiny 2 (PC). Two games I did not think I would be hugely into at all but completely am!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GUI posted:

Can't wait for the goonball and goonbarf funkopops.

Shmorky funko was a rather unfortunate choice

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I kept biting my tongue and cheek in my sleep :mad:

How's everybody else doing this morning?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm dividing a box of 1000 connectors into 48-count bags. :suicide:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Moral dilemma. Battlefront 2 is in the 14.99 bargain bin now. Is this the point where picking it up for the SP campaign is worth it and ok, even though I hate the lootbox trashfire EA created?

Also PS4 or PC? Graphics are nicer on PC but on the offchance I want MP PS4 has the more stable community I guess...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skypie posted:

I'm dividing a box of 1000 connectors into 48-count bags. :suicide:

What are connectors? And do you have to sort them by something in particular or is it just "take 48 out of this box, put them into a bag"?

Maybe you could find a scale and figure out the weight of 48 connectors and then just grab however many you'd need that way, or try splitting the boxes into smaller amounts first so that you can divide the work up into 4 quarters or something and take a breather between each quarter?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

watch Nintendo start a race war

FirstAidKite posted:

I used to bite my cheeks a lot when I got nervous, but when I got braces and couldn't do it anymore I began doing it to my lips. Wish I could quit this but I often find myself only tasting some blood and going "Oh, I did it again..."

And right now I'm thinking what else I could eat for breakfast since the yogurt I had left from yesterday wasn't enough. Then play something, I guess.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What are connectors? And do you have to sort them by something in particular or is it just "take 48 out of this box, put them into a bag"?

Maybe you could find a scale and figure out the weight of 48 connectors and then just grab however many you'd need that way, or try splitting the boxes into smaller amounts first so that you can divide the work up into 4 quarters or something and take a breather between each quarter?

They're insulation displacement connectors. Basically, they're made so I can take up to three wires, insert them into an opening, and use a pair of pliers to smash down a cap. The cap has bladed "knives" that pierce the insulation of the wire, thus making a solid electrical joint for the wires inside.

I don't HAVE to sort them at all, strictly speaking, but they came in a box of 1000 and were just loose inside the box. I had these ordered specifically for some work I'm doing on old light fixtures and I don't want to lug a 1000-count box around. A 48 count bag is enough for me to do 12-24 lights at once, depending on the size of the light.

I suppose I could try to weigh out the bags but I'm actually not sure we have a scale anywhere in the shop so I'm just putting on YouTube videos and filling bags.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I vote for Octopus!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

VideoGames posted:

I vote for Octopus!

This is the correct vote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
always preferred the octolings’ eye markings even if their hairstyle selection is lacking

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

And right now I'm thinking what else I could eat for breakfast since the yogurt I had left from yesterday wasn't enough. Then play something, I guess.

Time to eat some oatmeal!! Oatmeal is good.

Skypie posted:

They're insulation displacement connectors. Basically, they're made so I can take up to three wires, insert them into an opening, and use a pair of pliers to smash down a cap. The cap has bladed "knives" that pierce the insulation of the wire, thus making a solid electrical joint for the wires inside.

I don't HAVE to sort them at all, strictly speaking, but they came in a box of 1000 and were just loose inside the box. I had these ordered specifically for some work I'm doing on old light fixtures and I don't want to lug a 1000-count box around. A 48 count bag is enough for me to do 12-24 lights at once, depending on the size of the light.

I suppose I could try to weigh out the bags but I'm actually not sure we have a scale anywhere in the shop so I'm just putting on YouTube videos and filling bags.

Oh poo poo those things. Oof.

Well hopefully you're able to find something good to listen to on youtube and also remember to take breaks when you need to! It's important to be able to rest your mind when dealing with stuff that's as tedious as that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

always preferred the octolings’ eye markings even if their hairstyle selection is lacking

:same:

I'm rocking the octo mohawk right now but I'd love more Octoling hairstyles. Nintendo's going to keep supporting Splatoon through the end of the year at least so maybe there'll be a couple more added eventually.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Time to eat some oatmeal!! Oatmeal is good.

Oh poo poo those things. Oof.

Well hopefully you're able to find something good to listen to on youtube and also remember to take breaks when you need to! It's important to be able to rest your mind when dealing with stuff that's as tedious as that.

Yeah. Fortunately, my boss is very much in a "let's not get too wrapped up in anything" mood for the week. Partly because it's a holiday week and partly because we are the only two dayside guys in right now. The other two are both on vacation.

Yesterday I sat up in my office and worked on custom monsters for my D&D campaign between calls

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cool, what kind of custom monsters? Like, just doing stat sheets for them or making figs too or what?

I've always wanted to DM a game but I've never been able to commit to it. There's this really dumb official my little pony tabletop game that my fiancee wants me to DM for her and whoever else she can rope in for it, and it seems fairly simple to DM, but :effort:

Same reason I've been having trouble GMing Gratuitous Anime Gimmick (a tabletop rpg a goon made). I know what I want to do but I can't get myself to bother with writing down all of the required stuff for GMing it and it just comes across as a lot of extra effort to get everybody together in a discord channel at one time for a session. I even had a decent idea for a GAG campaign where it would start off relatively normal but then a few sessions in I would have some event happen that gives everybody a jojo stand ability in order to get them wrapped up into the actual meat of the story, but past that idea I haven't actually come up with anything to get people hooked or keep it interesting.

I've been tempted to just make a thread in the trad games pen & paper area to run a game there but eh

lot of it just comes down to :effort:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Squidlings and octolings look alike to me. I know that may be controversial but I really can't tell the difference.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it just me or is this contract so permissive it seems more or less meaningless? I guess the purchase is where most of the "fun" is so once that's over there's not much left but to buy more.

If the contract is a negotiated compromise, just imagine how much he was spending on pops beforehand

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no fan of the inkantation is a foe of mine. i dont see species

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i oct for votopus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I vote for squidbillies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All cephalopods are my friends

i'm gonna play octopus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The correct choice is "nautilus"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1unm0LS10ao

:siren:Games Thread Playlist:siren:

I said come in! posted:

By the way Games chat thread,

I got married yesterday. :toot:
Congrats! I hope you make each other super happy!

VideoGames posted:

Congratulations to everyone! I send you all my love :)
I like your av. Your flirtation with a Nier av was... troubling.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 3, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool, what kind of custom monsters? Like, just doing stat sheets for them or making figs too or what?

I've always wanted to DM a game but I've never been able to commit to it. There's this really dumb official my little pony tabletop game that my fiancee wants me to DM for her and whoever else she can rope in for it, and it seems fairly simple to DM, but :effort:

Same reason I've been having trouble GMing Gratuitous Anime Gimmick (a tabletop rpg a goon made). I know what I want to do but I can't get myself to bother with writing down all of the required stuff for GMing it and it just comes across as a lot of extra effort to get everybody together in a discord channel at one time for a session. I even had a decent idea for a GAG campaign where it would start off relatively normal but then a few sessions in I would have some event happen that gives everybody a jojo stand ability in order to get them wrapped up into the actual meat of the story, but past that idea I haven't actually come up with anything to get people hooked or keep it interesting.

I've been tempted to just make a thread in the trad games pen & paper area to run a game there but eh

lot of it just comes down to :effort:

Stat sheets mostly, I don't have the artistic faculties for making figures. I don't like that 5e has a bunch of monsters that, despite being tagged as "medium" difficulty encounters per the XP budgets, will outright gib squishier party members.

Doing custom monsters allows me to tweak the stats a little to arrive at the same challenge level but with maybe less chance of slaughtering the party with an above average roll.

Also, if you wanna do something like you suggested, just make it some goofy tournament. A buddy of mine used Fight! to run a game. The plot was "you're all gonna fight in a tournament. Winner gets a wish!" It had kinda generic god NPCs like Ares or Gaia, but the fights were incredibly goofy. My character had a 3-round duel with Solid Snake, and at one point, three of us had to team up to fight Albert Wesker. I was a shapeshifting monk, someone was a sphinx, and another person was a demon from the Disgaea games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I like your av. Your flirtation with a Nier av was... troubling.

I do love my many kirbies, but I also absolutely adored Nier.

I still have it represented because I was not expecting to feel as much as I did from a video game. :D Best of both worlds!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FirstAidKite presents: the dark tournament

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm so used to Martinet voicing every Bros. that whenever they use someone else because they need to have voiced exposition in Japanese it sounds bizarre.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

where's the evil peach, beach. and the evil bowser, dowser

Late but when they were designing Waluigi they also wanted to make a Peach equivalent named Wapeachy but Miyamoto didn't want to see what he assumed would a hideous lady added to the lineup and shot down the idea. I swear I am not making this up

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hopper posted:

Moral dilemma. Battlefront 2 is in the 14.99 bargain bin now. Is this the point where picking it up for the SP campaign is worth it and ok, even though I hate the lootbox trashfire EA created?

Also PS4 or PC? Graphics are nicer on PC but on the offchance I want MP PS4 has the more stable community I guess...

No. It’s so bad. Horrible campaign that’s a Star Wars mad libs. Go replay Titanfall 2 or Syndicate 2012.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also Sega are making August a busy month

Yakuza 0 Steam - August 1
Shenmue 1 & 2 - August 21
Yakuza Kiwami 2 PS4 - August 28

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna ask a question here because I feel like maybe I'm being unreasonable here, or at least being stupid.

So KCB wants to get laser eye surgery and that's going to be somewhere around 4k minimum. We don't have that cash right now but she got approved for a credit card specifically for this eye surgery and she can afford the $300 down payment and, on top of that, the doctor is willing to overlook the downpayment and just tack that on to the rest of the bill. She says she really wants this right now because she feels ugly with her glasses and she has trouble getting her contacts in without them causing her trouble and she just feels terrible all the time because of her glasses.

I'm worried because I've heard from others that the post-op eyedrops are super expensive and, like I said, it's not money we have right now. Sure she has a credit card confirmed and a payment plan set up, but I feel like it would be better for her to wait a couple of months so that I can get my disability money backpay in which will hopefully be a large enough sum to cover any bills and hopefully her eye surgery. As it is, she believes she can handle paying the initial downpayment for the surgery, as well as covering the credit card debt which has 2 year 0% financing as long as she covers the minimum payments.

She also is planning to enroll in some online college courses and those are going to be several hundreds of dollars as well. I just feel like she would be better off waiting until september or whenever I'd get my backpay instead of putting herself into debt right now. I feel like... yeah, having the laser eye surgery would be nice, sure, but I feel like it's the kind of superfluous thing that she should be able to wait on and not have to rush into and it just seems like a lot of debt to be putting yourself into all at once by getting laser eye surgery as well as enrolling in online courses on top of wanting to make a trip to lancaster for a festival, a trip that'll cost around ~$150 to make most likely, and the potentially several hundreds of dollars the post-op eyedrops will cost, and taking care of the car to make sure it is in proper running condition and getting any repairs it needs, and with all of that stuff happening I feel like she should be able to hold off on the eye surgery for a couple of months until I can get my money so that I can just pay for her surgery entirely rather than having that debt hanging over us and requiring her to dish out extra month over the course of the months leading up to me getting my backpay.

Sorry for the wall of text. yeah this is the games chat thread, it's stupid for me to ask this here, but I want to ask because I feel like maybe I'm just being stupid about this whole thing. The decision is ultimately her's and I told her that I'll support her on whatever decision she makes, but I also told her my thoughts on why I think it'd be a bad idea and why I think waiting would be a good idea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

going $4k in debt for elective cosmetic surgery is, in this gamer's opinion, a bad idea

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

homeless snail posted:

going $4k in debt for elective cosmetic surgery is, in this gamer's opinion, a bad idea

Agreed. If at all possible don't go into debt like this that you don't have the money for.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm too cold of a person and too much of a cheapskate to not say "Just buy some pretty glasses and save the money" but you can't tell how a person really feels about their appearance and how much it matters to them just by reading a post. This one is all on you, FAK, my bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you invest the $4k in amiibo you could triple your money by 2040

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

If you invest the $4k in amiibo you could triple your money by 2040
going $4k in debt for amiibos is, in this gamer's opinion, a good idea

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't blast lasers in your eyes, blast lasers out of them imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
glasses are insanely attractive, in this bespectacled goon's opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
You might try looking at some other similar procedures. A guy I work with just had eye surgery but it wasn't Lasik and he said it's helped a lot although the recovery can cause some double vision issues for an extended time while the retina heals.

I dunno how much it costs but it's worth looking into options

• Locked thread