Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

warsow posted:

5 hours of childcare daily Monday through Friday for free isn’t that bad.

And they will learn the language and culture of their new home country, which the kids would theoretically pass onto their parents through osmosis?

Sounds pretty sane and reasonable.

:shrug:

In case this isn’t a hot take...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_boarding_schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

warsow posted:

And they will learn the language and culture of their new home country, which the kids would theoretically pass onto their parents through osmosis?

gently caress you, and read the article you dumbass. If joking, have fun, I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

warsow posted:

That'd be nice, if we didn't have a legacy of what actually happens when countries do this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

warsow posted:

It is all good and reasonable, until you get to the mandatory part.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And the part where it's gated by where you live.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think the travel regs find this kind of thing legal.

https://twitter.com/eliseviebeck/status/1014142015758577664?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

warsow posted:

Defend your lovely opinion or admit this is a hot take or I'm loving crushing you.

Dead Reckoning wannabes take note.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Didn't they just elect Rob Ford's brother to a position of power.

Yes and ex-PM Harper was visiting the US yesterday or today to totally not discuss how trump will lift tariffs the second Canada elects a conservative PM (which is I bet a 80%)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I don't think the travel regs find this kind of thing legal.

https://twitter.com/eliseviebeck/status/1014142015758577664?s=19
Does the swamp seem drained to you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Comcast mobile, thanks to no net neutrality restrictions, is now only streaming in 480p and is throttling unlimited data plans to 600kbps and will only allow full speed data in the per-gig plans that run at $12/gig.

Coming soon to your wireless carrier and your home internet! Thanks, obama!

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

And the part where it's gated by where you live.

The whole intent behind this is to break up the ghettos and remove the “separate but equal” plurality that exists in Denmark. Not increase the divide between immigrant/refugee and Native Dane.

Phone posting so I can’t embed the link.
http://time.com/5328347/denmark-ghettos-policies/

While that will draw more comparisons to Canadian Indian Schools, those schools were designed to strip children of their identities and religion, change their names, place them in foster families, and depopulate native lands and reservations.

To say that is equal to educating a diaspora on the culture and language of their new land to increase cohesion is a bit heavy handed.

Maybe it really is a sinister plot, and then I was hella wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Comcast mobile, thanks to no net neutrality restrictions, is now only streaming in 480p and is throttling unlimited data plans to 600kbps and will only allow full speed data in the per-gig plans that run at $12/gig.

:stare: I knew it would be bad, but that's REALLY bad.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lmao :capitalism:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/comcast-starts-throttling-mobile-video-will-charge-extra-for-hd-streams/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Don't know why I'm gloating, I'm paying $120 a month for my phone for 6 gigs a month cause canadian mobile is hosed

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

warsow posted:

The whole intent behind this is to break up the ghettos and remove the “separate but equal” plurality that exists in Denmark. Not increase the divide between immigrant/refugee and Native Dane.

Phone posting so I can’t embed the link.
http://time.com/5328347/denmark-ghettos-policies/

While that will draw more comparisons to Canadian Indian Schools, those schools were designed to strip children of their identities and religion, change their names, place them in foster families, and depopulate native lands and reservations.

To say that is equal to educating a diaspora on the culture and language of their new land to increase cohesion is a bit heavy handed.

Maybe it really is a sinister plot, and then I was hella wrong.

Gee, now it sounds much better after reading the Time article you linked (linking Time should be probatable as well, but that's for another time)

quote:

While it’s not the first time the government has tried to abolish “ghettos,” the latest raft of laws mean the government will specifically target these areas—proactively enforcing rules aimed at integrating non-Western, predominantly Muslim immigrants into Danish society.

Many of the country’s 500,000 non-Western immigrants—largely from Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan and Somalia—live in these so-called ghettos. There, politicians say, “Danishness” is threatened by the prevalence of other languages and cultural traditions.

To many immigrants, the plans feel like a thinly-veiled way of telling them they are not welcome in Denmark. Hardline policy on immigration has become the new political consensus; even the typically pro-immigration Social Democrat party, Denmark’s largest opposition party, has supported the government’s anti-ghetto plans in an effort to win back voters deserting the party over immigration concerns.

One of the most contentious aspects of the plans is the forced enrolment of children from “ghetto” areas in classes from the age of 1 that teach “Danish values” and the Danish language. Such classes would run for a minimum of 30 hours per week, according to government plans.

While Danish parents are not obliged to enrol their own children, parents in “ghettos” who fail to do so could have their child benefit payments stopped by municipalities.

Under the new plans, crimes such as vandalism or theft will be punished twice as harshly if they occur within ghetto boundaries as opposed to outside them. For crimes that already have high penalties, the punishment will be increased by one third. And if a crime is normally punished with a fine, imprisonment can be levied if it occurs inside a ghetto. The plans also state that more police will be deployed to the streets of the areas under most pressure.

Gosh, now this all sounds cheerful and wonderful!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Comcast is an mvno so they’re trying to reduce cost to compete with the other cheap mvnos. T-mobile tried this probably for the same reasons and backed off. T-mobile while an mno relied extensively on roaming agreements (at&t mainly until recently ) and competes heavily on price.

I doubt AT&T and Verizon would do this soon unless they form a cartel or something and give up trying to compete with each other for consumer networks. Which I mean 2018 and all but they hate each other.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Verizon already limits videos to 720p (I think?) and throttles mobile hotspot usage to 600kbps so they're nearly there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Lol at Comcast saying these changes are good for consumers because at 480p you can watch more video before using up all of your monthly data!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Verizon is part of the reason net neutrality became a thing, because they were trying this poo poo all throughout the 2000s. Remember not being able to access any music service except their own lovely overpriced one? Yeah. I was glad I got to break my contract with them (thanks, orders!).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sprint sucks, but at least when I do get throttled its usually not that bad.

Glad I was able to get Charter in my area, lovely as they are, they are no Comcast (yet).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I use GoogleFi and pay on average $45/mo, up to a maximum of about $96.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This should be interesting. All I shell out to Comcast is for home internet now. We'll see if that changes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

This should be interesting. All I shell out to Comcast is for home internet now. We'll see if that changes.

Me too. My internet bill with them is 45/mo flat. Bought my own modem to lower the cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Verizon is part of the reason net neutrality became a thing, because they were trying this poo poo all throughout the 2000s. Remember not being able to access any music service except their own lovely overpriced one? Yeah. I was glad I got to break my contract with them (thanks, orders!).

Net neutrality was all about the source of the content though, they can however set speeds on entire types of data. So they can limit all streaming video but they can't just limit youtube and exempt netflix or something.

Its moot though because net neutrality is dead.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Defend your lovely opinion or admit this is a hot take or I'm loving crushing you.

Dead Reckoning wannabes take note.

Yeah, how dare someone have a different opinion in what's now a nihilist tankie echo chamber.

If you move to another country you at least learn the language and local laws. At least they're not doing what the Greeks did with that ship. The Danish reaction to this is at least understandable. How would you deal with a large immigrant population you have to let in that won't integrate?

Americans would be losing their poo poo if we had the refugee issues EU countries do. What do you think we would do, open a new front on the war on drugs, war on poverty or an x-th front of GWOT? gently caress, it would at least be another trail of tears. Probably crossed with desert storms highway of death.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Steezo posted:

Yeah, how dare someone have a different opinion in what's now a nihilist tankie echo chamber.

If you move to another country you at least learn the language and local laws. At least they're not doing what the Greeks did with that ship. The Danish reaction to this is at least understandable. How would you deal with a large immigrant population you have to let in that won't integrate?

Americans would be losing their poo poo if we had the refugee issues EU countries do. What do you think we would do, open a new front on the war on drugs, war on poverty or an x-th front of GWOT? gently caress, it would at least be another trail of tears. Probably crossed with desert storms highway of death.

We do have a refugee crisis, and we're responding by first permanently orphaning thousands of kids, and now permanent family detention camps.

I don't disagree entirely with your optimistic view. A lot of places do not have good histories with such actions, and I hope the danes also just treat this as a social program moreso than ethnic cleansing.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Steezo posted:

:allears:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Steezo posted:

How about you go back to making whiny non-actionable reports?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure the guy is European, so I don't quite think he falls into the DR white redneck apologist bucket. For a lot of European countries, cultural and language knowledge is a prerequisite for normal citizenship, so I can understand why he doesn't have a problem with it.

However, since the policy is basically targeting a specific class of people and was drafted by a right-wing party in a country that was notoriously complicit with the Nazis, welp.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

We do have a refugee crisis, and we're responding by first permanently orphaning thousands of kids, and now permanent family detention camps.

Were not at the highway of death part but if this gets to where CBP can't do the humanitarian part of their job, a lot of the intercepts they do need medical attention, or at least some water, I'm worried it will give Andrew Jackson a run for his money.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:qq: oThEr ViEwPoInTs ArE vAlUaBlE :qq:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:lol:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

If you're not too busy chasing combat vets out or fostering actual treason or election fraud, sure.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/LexiBelc/status/1014138568527241222?s=19

https://thenib.com/i-was-fired-for-criticizing-trump

Solid poo poo here, was waiting for his next cartoons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steezo posted:

:laffo:

quote:

Americans would be losing their poo poo if we had the refugee issues EU countries do.

but I think you're right about this part!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Steezo posted:

If you're not too busy chasing combat vets out or fostering actual treason or election fraud, sure.

:allears:

"actual treason"

:laffo:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Steezo posted:

:qqsay:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Steezo posted:

What is being pushed out is defense of racist policies and racist speech in the name of "hearing every side". My tolerance is low after a string of bad faith posting. Take a walk, take a deep breath, come back later.

The rest of you move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steezo posted:

God, Facebook vets are just the worst

• Locked thread