Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm the person that's played SS2 dozens of times but never used psi powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

There's some pretty cool stuff in there, including abilities you can't replicate any other way like wall creation, teleportation, lifeleech, and mines. And while the manual doesn't really make this clear, you can hotkey them; F1-F5 let you select tiers and shift-F# let you hotkey individual powers. It's a somewhat janky(ier than normal) way of playing through the game, but it's quite different from non-psi play, especially if you fully commit to psi-only, and can be a lot of fun.

I'm kind of surprised you've never used them at all; even if you're not investing heavily in psi, you can very cheaply pick up a few useful utility powers that will serve any character well. Off the top of my head, there's telekinesis, long-lasting AGI and CYB buffs, and alarm shutdown in tier 1, and tier 2 gets you healing, a long-lasting STR buff, and a fire aura that deals with worms/bugs for you and makes you immune to explosions.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm sure I've tried them out a time or two but it just always seems like a huge investment to get any of the useful ones, and carrying around the psi device takes up space where a gun can go.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

P.S when I say everything, just remember.... I mean EVERYTHING! :ohdear:

except those god drat busted up doors

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

dogstile posted:

Stun + Shotgun is my go to.

Mainly because its really satisfying, it taking approx gently caress all resources is icing on the cake.

I wish you could make turrets less poo poo though. My biggest issue with the game was that once i'd set up turrets all over the lobby, without a doubt i'd come back and they'd all just be knocked over. Let me gloo them to the floor!

I think all turrets automatically break if you leave them open when you leave a zone. The trick if you're being really diligent about them is to fold them all up before you leave but that's effort.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RichterIX posted:

I think all turrets automatically break if you leave them open when you leave a zone. The trick if you're being really diligent about them is to fold them all up before you leave but that's effort.

They definitely don't, because sometimes you'll come back and hear (or see!) them firing at Typhon, or just chilling out. I don't know if there's any sort of simulation layer there or if it just rolls the dice for each turret you leave behind.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ToxicFrog posted:

They definitely don't, because sometimes you'll come back and hear (or see!) them firing at Typhon, or just chilling out. I don't know if there's any sort of simulation layer there or if it just rolls the dice for each turret you leave behind.

I must have had extraordinarily bad luck, which isn't unusual!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think its less to do with bad luck. The turrets are super fragile and will break almost instantly. The game definitely does some behind the scenes stuff for npc battles

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

In SS2, most psi powers compensate for something else you can do somewhere else. Anti-degradation spell for guns, hacking telepathically, etc. PREY is different.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report Day 6

I beat Prey. I liked the game but imo the finale had wayyy too much running back and forth through the same areas.

The ending though wow. I had a hunch but I guess I was correct.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I am new game plusing Prey and I have noticed Poltergeists actually can harm you now. They can be pretty creepy, but they would levitate me and that was basically it. It was basically a joke last game. Now, one actually killed me and then hurt me again when I fought it again. I guess it was a bug they fixed?

Unfortunately, leverage still is lovely for me. Forty percent of the time it just makes the enemies shift around it and cause no damage even if I catch them off guard. I seem to be the only person to have this complaint. Also, the finding people missions are bugging out for me now. Tracking bracelets show Jean whats her name through the floor at the lowest point of the reactor area. I have tried activating another guys bracelet at the security office and it immediately cancels.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When I pressed the button to purge the Typhon I was amazed at how extremely straightforward the act was, given how goddamn convoluted it took to get to that point. How short would the game be if not for the barriers that occur in every stage like Bioshock 1? Alex pauses the tape, you have to resume the tape. The main lift isn't working so you have to go to Psychotronics, to GUTS, to Deep Storage. But Deep Storage is locked, so you have get an audio-file from Quarters. You retrieve your key from Deep storage, only to be blown into space and have the power cut out by Alex. You then turn the power back on and confront Alex, only for the station to be invaded by some guy call Dahl who was probably foreshadowed but honestly comes the gently caress out of nowhere. You neutralise Dahl, confront Alex, and pick your final quest.

Longer games like Fallout and the Witcher 3 avoid this sense of stymying because you accomplish your starting goal by the midpoint, before being given a second much larger goal.

Arkane have stepped up their actor's performance a notch. The Alex Yu we encounter does come across as genuinely sincere and remorseful, while at same time thuggish and loathsome, which is more than can be said about the cast of Dishonored.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 3, 2018

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
When bodies have been recycled the tracking quest will automatically complete since there is no bracelet to track.

Also humans freed from Telepath control will leave the map after you rescue them and subsequently leave the level. Which can prevent you from finding them.

The engineer Jean is found within the vent located inside the broken freight elevator in the reactor. Have you gone in there?

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I still haven't seen a Poltergeist in Mooncrash since I go the Psychoscope. And it's still the last thing I need to scan to get all the skills. Do they spawn in any particular location and/or corruption level?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When I pressed the button to purge the Typhon I was amazed at how extremely straightforward the act was, given how goddamn convoluted it took to get to that point. How short would the game be if not for the barriers that occur in every stage like Bioshock 1? Alex pauses the tape, you have to resume the tape. The main lift isn't working so you have to go to Psychotronics, to GUTS, to Deep Storage. But Deep Storage is locked, so you have get an audio-file from Quarters. You retrieve your key from Deep storage, only to be blown into space and have the power cut out by Alex. You then turn the power back on and confront Alex, only for the station to be invaded by some guy call Dahl who was probably foreshadowed but honestly comes the gently caress out of nowhere. You neutralise Dahl, confront Alex, and pick your final quest.

Longer games like Fallout and the Witcher 3 avoid this sense of stymying because you accomplish your starting goal by the midpoint, before being given a second much larger goal.

Arkane have stepped up their actor's performance a notch. The Alex Yu we encounter does come across as genuinely sincere and remorseful, while at same time thuggish and loathsome, which is more than can be said about the cast of Dishonored.

I mean, have you met System Shock 2 :v: ?

(then again, System Shock 1 did do it more your way)

e: "Hi you're on floor 2, come meet me on floor 4.
You don't yet have code for elevator, find this person for the code.
This person turns out to be in an area you don't have the keycard for, go find it.
Oh, I guess you have the elevator code now, but the elevator is unpowered, go to floor 1 first to power it.
The place where you can power the elevator is on lockdown because of a radiation leak.To fix the leak you need a code known by a person in Cargo Bay 2.
Cargo bay 2 is locked, the card is in cargo bay 1..."

Some time and a bunch of backtracking later:

"Hurray, you can use the elevator... Oops the elevator shaft is blocked, get off on floor 3 and explore the whole thing for 8 items of interest that will let you move past it. Will this actually be enough? Who knows."

Dancer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 4, 2018

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Nion posted:

I still haven't seen a Poltergeist in Mooncrash since I go the Psychoscope. And it's still the last thing I need to scan to get all the skills. Do they spawn in any particular location and/or corruption level?

They spawn in the showers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've seen them (in a manner of speaking) at the Typhon observation / cell control area of Pytheas Labs and in the part of Moonworks where the broken mass driver lift is located.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I usually run into Mooncrash Poltergeists near the ground-level entrance to the control center in the middle of the Crater, almost always on corruption level 2+ but I'm pretty sure I ran into them on corruption 1 too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat I'm bad at this game

im constantly low on healing

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

eonwe posted:

drat I'm bad at this game

im constantly low on healing

Prey and Mooncrash both have harsh inverse difficulty curves. You'll go from struggling constantly to being a psi-slinging world-class shooter who moves almost as fast as Doomguy. Healing in the early game is a lot of food, and a few medkits, and a lot of "ohgodohgodohgod"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And standing in a bathroom, barricaded in with Gloo, desperately sipping from the faucets while a Nightmare lurks outside.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dancer posted:

I mean, have you met System Shock 2 :v: ?

(then again, System Shock 1 did do it more your way)

SS2 definitely has a lot of obstacles and detours, but it also gives you a succession of major objectives. When you're going to meet Polito, you end up with detours and prerequisite objectives five or six deep at times, but once you do meet her you're not even halfway through the game and you get new overarching goals:

- meet Polito
- hack the sim units and activate the distress beacon
- undock the ships
- kill the Many
- kill SHODAN

In contrast, Prey has "watch the recording left by your predecessor" for the first few hours, and then it gets replaced with "destroy and/or save Talos" for the rest of the game. I can definitely see how that could lead to a sense of frustration that you aren't really getting any closer to your objective as you keep tripping over more and more obstacles.

To some extent, all of these games are "here's a major objective, now here's a rapidly expanding list of obstacles and sub-objectives that prevent you from just going straight to your destination and doing the thing", but I think Prey definitely has the fewest major objectives and probably the highest obstacle:objective ratio.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

While I eventually warmed up to what it ended up being, what it could've been but wasn't was one of my biggest disappointments with this game on release. I loved the surrealism at the beginning and Yu's conflicting personalities, but it's completely abandoned early on and the plot ends up being much more straight-forward than it lets on to the point where it even explains itself to you at the end.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The backtracking soured me a bit because you had to do so much of it for the last couple hours and I decided not to even bother engaging enemies at that point.

Imo they shouldve cut down the backtracking in the last part and try to wrap up the story after you've visited the important locations at least once.

I kinda liked that while all the moral choices you make are completely binary, it makes sense in context because that's what they are testing with the Typhon. Still I think the multiple personality plot was a lot more interesting in concept. Shame it didn't quite deliver since it was actually pretty eye opening once I realized Morgan didn't just have 2 personalities but like... 4 or even more. Now thats a dilemma

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 4, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The backtracking does suck but by that point in the game I was a time slowing ninja with a shotgun that could run and gun my way to any objective in the station in a few minutes.

Like I think by that point more of my playtime was spent watching loading screens

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Do turrets not fire on the moonshark?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they definitely do

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BobKnob posted:

Do turrets not fire on the moonshark?

They definitely do. This is gonna sound stupidly obvious but is your turret facing the Moonshark? Mine will sometimes be pointing at the wrong side-angle and seemingly not register its presence.

On a tangentially related note, a fully modded Vijay is a loving beast. Triggering Combat Focus and dancing around a Moonshark blasting it with an Elite Shotgun is soooooo satisfying.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I've seen the turret ignore the Moonshark if the turret is placed on top of some rocks. The (very slight) difference in elevation seems to occasionally mess with the targeting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Best way to deal with Moonshark is three level-three Psychoshocks from the Director. Easy peasy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol I just bypassed a destroyed staircase entirely by accident because a Poltergeist threw me into the air, right before it finished burning to death from a Superthermal. Thanks buddy!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just started playing this. Are there any particular skills that are great/terrible? Being able to just hulk out and throw all the furniture everywhere seems fun but if it's actually useless then I won't bother picking that skill up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leverage is mostly useful for pulling heavy debris out of doorways. It's hard to actually kill things with thrown objects.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just started playing this. Are there any particular skills that are great/terrible? Being able to just hulk out and throw all the furniture everywhere seems fun but if it's actually useless then I won't bother picking that skill up.
I thought it was nice to have because I found myself short on ammo and weapons but relatively healthy in terms of excess neuromods, so I liked having it for ammo-free combat early on. It helped that it let you move a bit too. Another bonus: the first rank of it lets you throw explosive cannisters hard enough that they explode immediately, which makes them a lot more useful as environmental weapons. The 3rd tier of it was a lot less useful in terms of combat efficacy, because generally the things that you can throw with it are so large that actually throwing them cleanly can be a bit rough. The return definitely wasn't there for fully upgrading it.

Combat Focus is an amazing skill that should be picked up early. I generally liked picking up the various scavenging efficiency ones like Necropsy, Improved Recycling, and the Engineering one that gives you extra stuff from Operators, but I can tell you that I haven't done the math on whether that's actually a good investment or not. Probably not, because you'll eventually break the game's difficulty over your knee and making the early game harder but the late game easier isn't actually necessary. The +inventory ones are also nice to have, along with various ways to access new doors.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mods that make consumable resources more efficient are very good to get early on since it will give you more materials for the entire game. If you like using guns then things that make guns better not only makes individual encounters easier, it means all recycled resources that go toward guns (namely bullets) just became that much more efficient and now you have more resources for other stuff.

I really enjoyed the buffed movement speed and Leverage and such but just making combat options better is probably the best early game investment. That said Prey isn't really that hard if you aren't cranking up the difficulty so ymmv.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The tentacles absolutely crush the moonshark if you can lure the shark next to them or if you have tentacle spore to throw at it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So, uh, a few hours of gameplay ago there was a thing where Basilisk forgot to turn her mic off, but I got distracted and missed it, and now it seems like it was important? Please can someone spoil me on what was said because I'm missing some part of the story here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

So, uh, a few hours of gameplay ago there was a thing where Basilisk forgot to turn her mic off, but I got distracted and missed it, and now it seems like it was important? Please can someone spoil me on what was said because I'm missing some part of the story here.

Basilisk is as expendable as you are, and her supervisors think she's spending too much time talking to Peter. Also, Basilisk and Teddy dance around the fact that Peter is almost certainly going to die, but she checks that Peter's family is going to be taken care of.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A kind goon MSPainted my avatar, and it reminded me of a Typhon.

Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ravenfood posted:

Basilisk is as expendable as you are, and her supervisors think she's spending too much time talking to Peter. Also, Basilisk and Teddy dance around the fact that Peter is almost certainly going to die, but she checks that Peter's family is going to be taken care of.

Thanks. I mean, it still doesn't answer 90% of my questions as to what's going on inside the simulation but at least the outside of it is fleshing itself out.