Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

double nine posted:

:argh: why :argh: won't :argh: you :argh: drop :argh: a :argh: lizard :argh: staff :argh::bang::bang:bang:

drat that's not a guaranteed drop? What platform are you on? I can probably give you one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ I've been stuck on Vendrick enough times that the 2 knights have stopped spawning. What the gently caress. This guy is not this hard but I am seemingly incapable of strafing to the right and poking him to death.

When I get frustrated I chase too much. The way I remember the fight he can only really hit you if you've chased him to the wall and when he turns to hit you you have nowhere to go. Maybe back up if its getting tight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, I finally beat him after bitching about it on the internet. Pretty much every time I died it was because we got too close to a wall and it made it extremely hard to see what was happening and I would get caught in his legs or something like that. When I finally beat him I made sure to back up and get him to chase me back to the middle of the room any time that happened. Now I'm not sure what to do next. I've done the giant memories but I've never done the dlc so I'm thinking of doing at least the first dlc before I do anything else.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

you're in for a treat, the DS2 dlc is I think the best content in all of the dark souls games.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
From a MY IMMERSION perspective is it better to do the DLCs as part of the main story or save them for after?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fifteen of Many posted:

From a MY IMMERSION perspective is it better to do the DLCs as part of the main story or save them for after?

Doesn’t really matter but probably after Undead Crypt but before end of game.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Fifteen of Many posted:

They're leveled such that you should probably wait until Undead Crypt or so before you start trying to seriously tackle them, and it makes sense from the story too that once you meet Vendrick you'd go off in search of past monarchs. I usually run around inside them a bit as I unlock them, though, cause they've got some good loot and usually I'm able to deal with the enemies up until I start hitting boss encounters.

Or those giant dudes with lava shoulders in Brume Tower.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

skasion posted:

Doesn’t really matter but probably after Undead Crypt but before end of game.

This. Getting the plot item from Dragon shrine later is useful for some bonus content.

Typical order would be Sunken King -> Old Iron King -> Ivory King

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Huh, I guess there's not much else for me to do except the DLC and the final boss. It feels a little abrupt, like I think I must have missed the Darkdiver guy in Drangleic because I've never gotten into the Chasm of the Dark. There are also a bunch of locked doors in Aldia's keep that seemed to hunt that I wasn't done with that area?

e: I just dipped my toes into Shulva City and uh, I hope this gets better because it's super underwhelming from something that someone just described as some of the best content across all Souls games. Like I hated some of the poo poo sandwiches that the DS3 dlc gave you but it was mostly visually stunning and distinct from the main game. Shulva City is just a bunch of grey, treacherous drops, and more of the worst poison in all the Souls games.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 2, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

double nine posted:

:argh: why :argh: won't :argh: you :argh: drop :argh: a :argh: lizard :argh: staff :argh::bang::bang:bang:

Just grab the Staff of Wisdom from Tseldora. Or if you're not on SotFS dehumanize yourself and face to Archdrake Staff.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Chasm of the Abyss

You have to pester Not-Gandalf three times.
Once in the shaded ruins. Drop down a hole to his area.

Second time in the Gulch. You have to get the key from the two giants chilling in the sub-basement of the gulch and open the stone door. (It is next and a drop down those giant worm/centipede things popping out of those holes)

Third time is in Drangleic Castle in the puzzle room with the locked door, stone soldiers and ruin sentinels. Third-left room has a hole where you can fall down. Don't worry there is a bonfire down there.

Aldia's Keep side areas

I guess you mean the doors in the corridor with the many cages? Light all the torches in the keep. Meet many new red friends. Get key item for doors.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OutofSight posted:

Chasm of the Abyss

You have to pester Not-Gandalf three times.
Once in the shaded ruins. Drop down a hole to his area.

Second time in the Gulch. You have to get the key from the two giants chilling in the sub-basement of the gulch and open the stone door. (It is next and a drop down those giant worm/centipede things popping out of those holes)

Third time is in Drangleic Castle in the puzzle room with the locked door, stone soldiers and ruin sentinels. Third-left room has a hole where you can fall down. Don't worry there is a bonfire down there.

Aldia's Keep side areas

I guess you mean the doors in the corridor with the many cages? Light all the torches in the keep. Meet many new red friends. Get key item for doors.

Ah thank you. I followed the advice of all the soap stones saying "don't you dare!" in Aldia's so I never got all that.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

We can't all like the same things, maybe it will grow on you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Of course I go through an entire playthrough of the game without a single human invasion, but I get halfway through tediously clearing out the room in Drangleic with all the stone soldiers and Ruin Sentinels and some shitlord who I can't loving damage pops in to wreck my poo poo. Congrats, dude.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

DrNutt posted:

e: I just dipped my toes into Shulva City and uh, I hope this gets better because it's super underwhelming from something that someone just described as some of the best content across all Souls games. Like I hated some of the poo poo sandwiches that the DS3 dlc gave you but it was mostly visually stunning and distinct from the main game. Shulva City is just a bunch of grey, treacherous drops, and more of the worst poison in all the Souls games.

The art- and level design in the dlc areas can be quite nice and distinct. You will get some nice (insert saints_riot voice here) "VERTICALITY" (not just instant death drops) in Shulva and the Old Iron King stuff later for example.

But all dlc levels has some gimmick, which you like or not and influences the appreciation of a first playthrough for this content.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Shulva is great, I will admit it only starts really going once you are inside the temple.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think Shulva is amazing Zelda Souls but it doesn't look great, yeah. The other two DLCs will blow you away visually and both have a lot of "hot drat this owns" moments. There's not that much standout stuff in Shulva in comparison, but I still think it's better than most maingame areas. It also has one eh (imho) and one pretty awesome boss whereas Brume has arguably the best boss of the game and one that's a close second, and Eleum Loyce has one okay boss and one that's loving amazing. Again, Shulva is just fine and fun to play but the other two kinda overshadow it.

(I realize that I left out one boss each but we don't talk about those and their areas)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’m back from out of town and fired up where I left off and let me just say “THAT LAST ROOM BEFORE DEMON OF SONG :dogbutton:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's a second Pursuer?! :mad:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:laugh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hahahahahaha gently caress

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, I still have to go back and do the DLC, but I gotta say as much as I love this game and think it's probably my favorite Souls game, it's ending is kind of lovely and abrupt, and pretty unsatisfying. Even the addition of the final FINAL boss after Nashandra was sort of a let down (and I lost the 150k souls from the first two boss fights because of his lovely OHKO move) because it wasn't particularly challenging, mostly just annoying.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Undead Crypts please no ring bells skeletons please

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

I think Shulva is amazing Zelda Souls but it doesn't look great, yeah. The other two DLCs will blow you away visually and both have a lot of "hot drat this owns" moments. There's not that much standout stuff in Shulva in comparison, but I still think it's better than most maingame areas. It also has one eh (imho) and one pretty awesome boss whereas Brume has arguably the best boss of the game and one that's a close second, and Eleum Loyce has one okay boss and one that's loving amazing. Again, Shulva is just fine and fun to play but the other two kinda overshadow it.

(I realize that I left out one boss each but we don't talk about those and their areas)

Give me gank squad or give give me death.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Well yeah, he wouldn't be much of a pursuer if he only caught up with you once :buddy:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The games are definitely designed for multiple mob combat, it's just the next tier of puzzle in stamina action combat game

Basically once you're skilled at it it's a ton of fun. If the way multi mob combat works in these games isn't appealing to you that's fair. But you do it a whole ton in all these games and mmm it feels so good when you can cut through the crowds of relentless assholes with ease (I love ds2 so much 😙)

This is totally a "git gud" post, I know

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I like Shulva a lot better now that I discovered the switches but why does every loving basic enemy here need like a million poise? Seems like a lovely way to increase difficulty.

Oh my loving god gently caress these phantom knights.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 3, 2018

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

hahahahahaha gently caress
Yeah that video you did was sort of more appropriate than you could've known at the time.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I love multiple mob combat in these games, I just find it a bit annoying in this one. It really feels like you need a fully fleshed out character to enjoy the combat here, which provably explains the effort put into newgame +

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I do get the sense that 2 is meant to be fully enjoyed with a complete and varied toolset, at least during one's first playthrough where you're still learning how enemies work and where they're placed

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Man I like Shulva a lot better now that I discovered the switches but why does every loving basic enemy here need like a million poise? Seems like a lovely way to increase difficulty.

Oh my loving god gently caress these phantom knights.
They've got enough poise to withstand a two-handed UGS hit or two, but not the same from a greathammer. Grab the Stone Ring and equip it, as it gives +30 poise damage for every hit.

As for those phantom knights, look around in the environment. See what you can break.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NGDBSS posted:

As for those phantom knights, look around in the environment. See what you can break.

Yeah, eventually I found that room but overall I thought that was one of the worst sections of a Souls game I've ever played. Those guys will follow you forever, and once you smash their armor they hit even harder and have a bigger moveset. Then you finally get through that slog and you instantly have to deal with a room full of respawning miniboss style enemies.

Oh and pyromancer fucko with a billion hp and pyromancies that can knock off 75 percent of your health easily.

Between this and the DS3 dlc I am beginning to think that From develops their DLC specifically for the masochists who found the vanilla game's too easy.

I will say that my tune has changed a lot regarding SotFS though. At first I hated the changes to vanilla and went back to that for awhile. But then I forced myself to go back and try again, and I think that overall the changes are for the best, though it changes the game to be more front loaded in difficulty. Vanilla DS2 starts fairly easy and ramps up the challenge in the later areas, where SotFS tends to have a harder beginning but a much more gradual and consistent difficulty curve.

On to the Dragon's Rest but I am going in blind and am not super looking forward to this if the first part of the DLC was any indication.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
His name is Jester Thomas and he's your good pal.

This one's me

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Thomas is so loving dedicated to mocking you with his first gesture that he literally won't attack until he finishes the gesture

you can see where this goes if you consider that hitting him real good interrupts the gesture

Also, did you find the hidden Bonfire? That's a dick move imho.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Simply Simon posted:

Thomas is so loving dedicated to mocking you with his first gesture that he literally won't attack until he finishes the gesture

you can see where this goes if you consider that hitting him real good interrupts the gesture

Also, did you find the hidden Bonfire? That's a dick move imho.

Thomas was a fairly good troll but what happened is the first time I just hauled rear end past everything like a god drat Benny Hill sketch and made it all the way down to those fat T-Rexs, and hauled rear end past them, and lit the bonfire down there. Then I threw myself at them from that bonfire for a bit until I got frustrated. Then I looked up where the hidden bonfire was and methodically made my way through that area. I ended up killing like three of the phantom knights with fire weapons and just killed the rest after I found the room with all the armor.

I dunno. It just wasn't very fun and felt like it didn't really have anything to do with being gud, it was just tedious and forced you to pixel hunt for hidden switches (while constantly being assaulted by ghosts).

God help anyone who ran to the armor room dragging all the ghosts with them, I'm sure dealing with like 6 of those things at once is a good time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you kite them around the armor room they have a tendency to fall in the big holes and die.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DrNutt posted:

Oh and pyromancer fucko with a billion hp and pyromancies that can knock off 75 percent of your health easily.

He doesn't do nearly as much damage if you're soaking wet, and there's a ton of water right outside. Combine that with any decent fire resist gear and/or flash sweat and you'll be nigh invulnerable.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I faced Jester Thomas I had sprinted past all those ghost knights all the way down to the T-Rex Tadpole door, saw those things out there (along with a message that said "boss ahead" so I figured it might be an actual boss), promptly turned around and booked it all the way back to the room with all the poison bugs, which I had already cleared. Thomas was the only one that followed me down there so it was a relatively straightforward battle. Once I got to the second floor of the spike room I had an easier time, since I pulled all the ghosts from the armour room and they all fell off the bridge, allowing me to destroy their armour and pick them off from safety. A good DLC in my opinion. Clearly built around using somewhat non-traditional battle tactics (as opposed to just fighting things one-on-one, especially considering you can barely event hurt half the enemies at first), but I kind of like that about it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bogart posted:

His name is Jester Thomas and he's your good pal.

This one's me

You can cheese the jester. He does a taunt when he "invades" you. If you attack him it will cancel his taunt and he will keep trying to do it. He won't attack you until he has done the emote.

I am loving the dlc more than the best game. I am at the frozen last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, I know. I've platted this game twice. ;) Dude is still able to gently caress you up, and it feels like a drat betrayal after cooping Mytha as many times as I did.

Ivory king has the best set piece in the game imo. Tip for the new player: once the nature of the map changes, explore it all again from the start.