Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

EvilMerlin posted:

Yes, but I don't think its going to be that detailed. Just check to see if there is enough air. It should be (I hope) a simple "is there enough of this? Yes/No, if no then do you have an atmo suit? If no, start dying" etc.

Did you serve on radioactive sewer pipes? Boomers?

Attack boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Pro griefers will use up all the air in a room so the NPCs die. Good luck turning in that box.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The fans have saved Star Citizen by the power of avoiding all critical reasoning!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Golli posted:

Attack boat

My best bud served on boomers for 9 years. Crazy SOB.

People think I'm crazy for teaching Afghani's and Iraqi's to fly to defend their own country, you Navy pukes on radioactive sewer pipes are loving nuts.

Ookie cookies included.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Hav posted:

I know simulations, and I know how far they are from a simulation, while trying to use simulation language.

Heat signature has a mechanic based around breaking spaceship windows to gain entry, kill people and exit any given spacecraft. They aren't modelling volumes, they're attaching particular scripts to entities based on the window breaking, which is a viable mechanic of the game.

In Star Citizen, if someone can lock the doors open, you'll wear a suit, leading to the minor inconvenience of wearing said suit.

They're using a developer to theorycraft a theorycraft onto a theorycraft, leading to this recursive poo poo fractal of stories that don't actually fit into the wider narrative, and leading to a tree structure of dependencies on every drat server-tick.

Personally, I'd use an integer for 'breathable atmosphere' pressure and leave it at that.

Yeah, this. Those atmosphere emitters don't work all of the time, otherwise they'd overpressure, so they have a maximum rate of pressurisation, what happens if I open three compartments neighboring, etc. "That's just Boyle's law", boom, temperature.

It's needlessly complex for something that will barely add gameplay, when they should be thinking up more mission structures to stop the faithful chewing their ankles in frustration. Hardly anyone plays Arma for a reason. Call of Dutys print money for a reason.

People buy space flight games for space flight, not sitting in bars alone.

Star Citizer: A recursive poo poo fractal of stories

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It must have sucked for 3000 stream dude when he woke up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The tide is turning I continue to say as 1 weeks of positive feedback inevitably become 11 weeks of justified criticism as CIG continue to spin their wheels and develop content only for people that spend $150

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Golli posted:

He's trolling Chris (and us too apparently).

I'm still wondering about this EMERGENCY ARGON SUPPLY

They''ve never actually mentioned any exciting trace gas gameplay. Was this just a sly troll from the Reclaimer art team to Chris?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

EvilMerlin posted:

Yes, but I don't think its going to be that detailed. Just check to see if there is enough air. It should be (I hope) a simple "is there enough of this? Yes/No, if no then do you have an atmo suit? If no, start dying" etc.

"It should be" "I hope". I think I found several fatal flaws in your argument there, buddy. :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You guys have to remember that many of these guys are not actually looking for a game. The just want to belong to something and have some friends.

As such, no matter how loving dull and lifeless the actual game is, they'll probably sincerely love it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/StarCitizenTrac/status/1014166322530299905

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Hav posted:

Shrouds of the avatar appears to be going through an accelerated arc of this.

Thanks for the info, out of curiosity is there a good write up somewhere about this shrouds thing? That's the game where everything is for sale right?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snack Bitch posted:

Pro griefers will use up all the air in a room so the NPCs die. Good luck turning in that box.

When dance parties and fire extinguishers turn lethal.

My God, they're pre-countering Starfleet Dental, those monsters.

Shroud chat:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835737 - SCAM Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785234 - MMO HMO Thread

Pixelate posted:

They''ve never actually mentioned any exciting trace gas gameplay. Was this just a sly troll from the Reclaimer art team to Chris?

There was a screen mockup that included various gas mixes including argon, which is trace under most circumstances, and displaces 'breathable' gases while doing bugger-all. So someone riffed off the 'emergency argon' supply there. Someone probably has it archived.

There are a thousand dumb injokes floating around.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 3, 2018

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

I've seen some retarded pay 2 win excuses in my lifetime but I think this is the one true retarded excuse.

A loving personwall? Is he serious right now?

It's not a paywall because somebody might gift it to you. It's a giftwall. Which is German for "poisonwall."

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Nothing to do with your post but thought this Crab Tank might catch your fancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na530jGHOtI

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

big nipples big life posted:

It must have sucked for 3000 stream dude when he woke up.

Whoa, it had 3000 viewers? I now feel confident in the game's future - Star Citizen is saved!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Holy poo poo! someone needs to apply this to Doom-guy's health bar like right now. :five:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Daztek posted:

Analytics informs us that the average questing player is making around 1,700 aUEC/day, and the average session of those players is 30-40 minutes. We liked the balance of working for about 3 days to upgrade a piece of gear, based on our own experiences playing MMOs and the rate we'd upgrade.

What

I mean even if we're being charitable and its only 30-40min x 3 days that's still and hour and half of loving gaming to get a better gun?

Who the gently caress are these people, who enjoys gaming like this. Like at the worst I remember 5-8hr WoW sessions for like the best of the best of Mage items, but that was 1 loving item in the entire game (maybe there is more now). And even than I remember thinking 'never again game, never again'

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

There is basically no reason you would ever need a supply of Argon. It is completely unreactive, and its main use is in industrial manufacturing processes where it can be pumped into an area to replace oxygen and prevent various chemical reactions. Sometimes it's used in medical grade lasers, and sometimes in industrial fire extinguishers, for basically the same reason.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

There is basically no reason you would ever need a supply of Argon. It is completely unreactive, and its main use is in industrial manufacturing processes where it can be pumped into an area to replace oxygen and prevent various chemical reactions. Sometimes it's used in medical grade lasers, and sometimes in industrial fire extinguishers, for basically the same reason.

And its not as cool sounding as Xenon. Suck it Argon, nobody likes you. gently caress off over there with Neon.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

What

I mean even if we're being charitable and its only 30-40min x 3 days that's still and hour and half of loving gaming to get a better gun?

Who the gently caress are these people, who enjoys gaming like this. Like at the worst I remember 5-8hr WoW sessions for like the best of the best of Mage items, but that was 1 loving item in the entire game (maybe there is more now). And even than I remember thinking 'never again game, never again'

Now imagine them balancing the entire economy, and figuring out how long ships are going to take to grind for.

The entire idea of a functioning in-game economy was hosed the second they started selling ships for hundreds of dollars.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Erenthal posted:

Now imagine them balancing the entire economy, and figuring out how long ships are going to take to grind for.

nevermind the entire economy, I don't understand how these people who supposedly consume this stuff daily because there is no game so lets theorycraft, how they read this poo poo and go 'ya that sounds right'

It's almost like the shotgun approach of infodumpin that CIG does is designed not to educate it's users, but obfuscate the fact that these people have no idea what they're doing. I mean there can't be more than a handful of citizens who actually read all this poo poo, watch all the videos, keep up with this theorycrafting fever dream.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Are there any game mechanics that actually allow a borrowing of a ship?

Can anyone just drive any spawned ship?

What is preventing someone from stealing a ship?

Can anyone but the pilot participate in mining in any way?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
are we the citizens?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

was that tweet run through Google Translate or something? Wtf is it even saying?

Daztek posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/feedback-economy/1294525

"Missiles have a lot of discussion as to whether they should be as expensive as a real-life missile or cheap so that players can use them more frequently. While we continue to discuss this internally, we'll probably keep missiles the way they are."

lol doesn't a single missile cost the equivalent of ~$70 real life dollars worth of UEC purchases?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
ITT people arguing about SC gas atmosphere compositions as if that will ever be a thing...

When we all know that if CIG ever continues development that far it will be a simple room check- if players in the room exceed X number, a "suffocation countdown" starts...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hav posted:

I know simulations, and I know how far they are from a simulation, while trying to use simulation language.

Heat signature has a mechanic based around breaking spaceship windows to gain entry, kill people and exit any given spacecraft. They aren't modelling volumes, they're attaching particular scripts to entities based on the window breaking, which is a viable mechanic of the game.

In Star Citizen, if someone can lock the doors open, you'll wear a suit, leading to the minor inconvenience of wearing said suit.

They're using a developer to theorycraft a theorycraft onto a theorycraft, leading to this recursive poo poo fractal of stories that don't actually fit into the wider narrative, and leading to a tree structure of dependencies on every drat server-tick.

I think you got me wrong. I meant: you don't understand game development *nudge *nudge

e: as in: everybody who has a different approach to fixing a problem than CIG, obviously doesn't understand game development, according to shitizens

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

I think you got me wrong. I meant: you don't understand game development *nudge *nudge

e: as in: everybody who has a different approach to fixing a problem than CIG, obviously doesn't understand game development, according to shitizens

I know, you puckish rogue, I was just continuing my ranty soapbox.

{{{hugs}}}

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

ITT people arguing about SC gas atmosphere compositions as if that will ever be a thing...

When we all know that if CIG ever continues development that far it will be a simple room check- if players in the room exceed X number, a "suffocation countdown" starts...

If a Citizen farts in an Idris, does it make any sound?

And we're more pointing out that the sweater-load of wool is coming for a ride if you keep tugging on that one bright idea. Theorycrafting the bullshit takes seconds; debugging and testing take hours. We're doing a bunch of the seconds work because a bunch of us have done (are avoiding) debugging and testing of something quick.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 3, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

There was a screen mockup that included various gas mixes including argon, which is trace under most circumstances, and displaces 'breathable' gases while doing bugger-all. So someone riffed off the 'emergency argon' supply there. Someone probably has it archived.

There are a thousand dumb injokes floating around.

Wait, Daz mocked this up?

Now I'm so confused. WHO IS THE PUPPETMASTER!?

---

That Emergency Argon pic is 'real' though. As in it's in-game. It's realer than real.

Sarsapariller posted:

Let's be generous and say they're going use argon to put out chemical reactions in the otherwise useless glowy furnace thing on the Reclaimer. And so begins the joining up of game design dots. To finally form the giant wobbly penis that is Chris's magnum opus...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pixelate posted:

no, that's a real cig screenshot

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

No, that's from CiG, but the point is that it's not very likely that any of those things are actually _real_, which is why I call it a mockup. That was produced a while back, and they're still talking emitters and consumers. it's one of the reasons I've been interested in doors, because doors define volumes. Errant doors almost entirely fail to define volumes. Same for the lethal door cousin, the ramp.

I thought there was another image with a button marked 'Argon supply', but I may be wrong/drunk/Goon.

SoftNum posted:

Can dreams? Yes. Sign here.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 3, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : and after all,you're my person waaaa-lllll!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Agony Aunt posted:

You know guys, i'm going to be so sad when this show is over. Whether its down to CIG releasing something awesome (ok, not likely) or it goes tits up.

The only hope for continued comedy is if they release something half-arsed and the faithful continue to proclaim it to be the best thing ever. That could keep the chuckles coming.

Potentially sad days ahead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7He6Xh7X0&t=126s

I've been saying the same thing, which is why I kept hoping that CIG wouldn't go under because of the Crytek lawsuit, because

1. It would end all the comedy.
2. It would give Crook Robbers an out in the form of "well, we tried, but Crytek started a witch hunt and ended our awesome development preventing us from making spaceship games great again".

This is going to end one day, though, one way or the other, and I propose we keep this subforum alive by (aside from discussing other horrible kickstarting projects) also starting to cover other lovely game development. Like the Takedown: Red Sabre debacle, complete with hilarious video of TotalBiscuit (RIP) praising it pre-release. Like that dude who made Paranautical Activity (out soon on Switch!) who threatened to kill Gabe Newell because Steam failed to acknowledge that his game was out of early access quickly enough or something.

Anyway, all that crap is in the past, but endless idiocy is happening every day! Let's pluck the choicest fruit and revel in its stupidity!

There's a loving treasure trove out there. Star Citizen is a god drat motherlode, yes, but we'll find something new to sustain us.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Like literally dozens of other features promised over the years, it was not and never will be developed beyond what it took to make that lone screenshot/brief ATV overview. And if I was working at CIG I'd do the same thing—just enough superficial work to mock up a screenie that pleases C-Robbz, only to wait for his ADD to kick in and move onto another nonsensical feature. My personal favorite of those was the "juke system," where he promised unique animations blending between three different movement speeds and eight different directions, taking into account terrain, obstacles, and momentum. He spent twenty minutes raving about how great that would be in ~2015, and it hasn't been mentioned again, AFAIK.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
jerk mechanics however,,,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted, I may have missed something. Could someone do Hobo bear.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted, I may have missed something. Could someone do Hobo bear.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Has anybody heard anything about X4? Apparently that is coming out this year and might be a fun massive space game after the disappointment of X Rebirth.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mp5 posted:

Has anybody heard anything about X4? Apparently that is coming out this year and might be a fun massive space game after the disappointment of X Rebirth.

Star Citizen: The Afterbirth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SoftNum posted:

I was wondering the same thing. I thought any kind of ship lending mechanics weren't implemented yet? Can you actually do this now?