Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's going to be pretty surreal watching an entire factory pop out of someone's pocket when they place their camp down but it's very good to know that it won't be blown up while you are away from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I legit have no idea what kind of game fallout 76 wants to be

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zelder posted:

Way to out your account Todd

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Rinkles posted:

And what about vehicles or mounts?
No. It's exactly like Fallout.

What part of Fallout was this not part of, exactly?

I'm also very confused by the game being pitched as 'so large you'll hardly ever run into anyone!' but in the same vein also expecting you to help flesh out the world and provide others with quests (apparently?) and also play wasteland merchant. For people you're never expected to run into. Also every time someone logs off all their poo poo vanishes so you'll forever be running around trying to find a store that doesn't pop out of existence like a mirage when you're in the middle of buying poo poo.

The more I read about this game the less I have any idea of what it's supposed to be. Just include the private server poo poo already and get it over with, Todd!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

:/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zelder posted:

Agreed. It's a cliche now for players to complain that a game needed another few months of development - I feel like the concept of Fallout 76 needed another few months of development.

I'm all for giving the team the benefit of the doubt, and for allowing games to be what they will be, but it mostly seems like a mess of contradictory ideas and incomplete mechanics.

They need to polish up an alpha and create a long in-game demo video of what they intend the game experience to actually be like, since their interviews are not helping.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 3, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fallout 4, but there's no quests and occasionally you get lightly hassled by another player, unless you're level 4, or perhaps you're using stealth skills to hide your location, and also I guess you can just fast travel away (but they can fast travel to you too), but they can only kill you once so it's fine

And then someone drops a nuke on you. What even is this game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The more I read about this game the less I have any idea of what it's supposed to be.

I don't think Bethesda does either. Every interview has had at least two moments where they seem to just throw up their hands and admit that they're not entirely sure what the next step is or how something will work in practice.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It definitely seems like some of the devs think it basically should be a free-for-all like nullsec Eve Online, and others are like, "our players don't actually want that, what are you doing?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zelder posted:

Fallout 4, but there's no quests and occasionally you get lightly hassled by another player, unless you're level 4, or perhaps you're using stealth skills to hide your location, and also I guess you can just fast travel away (but they can fast travel to you too), but they can only kill you once so it's fine

And then someone drops a nuke on you. What even is this game

If you're level 4 would you just...survive the nuke?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It doesn't look like you can actually drop nukes on the players themselves just specific locations from the preview clips shown. So wait until someone is dungeon crawling and open a hellmouth on them for them to exit the dungeon into.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr Hootington posted:

It doesn't look like you can actually drop nukes on the players themselves just specific locations from the preview clips shown. So wait until someone is dungeon crawling and open a hellmouth on them for them to exit the dungeon into.

Sure, but what happens if that someone is level 3 and bumbled into the region? I bumble places all the time in Fallout.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Sure, but what happens if that someone is level 3 and bumbled into the region? I bumble places all the time in Fallout.

The New Vegas expierence everyone loves lives on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Well a nuked area apparently IS the hell dungeon you want to do with friends to get good gear so you actually want to to nuke poo poo first just so you can scavenge it.

I really have no idea what this game wants to be. So you can set up a robot shop and craft weapons to sell? Just how easy will it be to completely break the economy? Can I set up mules to just farm materials then go back to my merchant for max profit? What’s the point of an economy in a survival crafting setting? Will everything just slowly shift from survival to just raiding (PVE and PVP) once everyone has gear and poo poo?

Is this game secretly a remake of Dark Age of Camelot???

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fallout New Vegas: Nice short tutorial time to explore! *cazador swoops in and gibs player* Very good game!

Fallout 76: Nice the tutorial is done and now time to explore! *Mothman swoops in and gibs player* Very bad game!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I cant wait to find out you are level 5 after completing the tutorial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I really don't know if I'd buy this unless it was discounted I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to watch someone else play it just to figure out what the gently caress it is.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So there won't be quests but the game has quest items that you can't sell

Getting a real bad No Man's Sky vibe here

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They’ve been very clear that there will be quests, you’ll just get them from robots or terminals or whatever and not NPC people

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also can buildings/settlements be tied to only one person? So no group building shenanigans?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also can buildings/settlements be tied to only one person? So no group building shenanigans?

If they are smart (lol), they will have a permissions system for your settlement.

I know other players can "damage" and "destroy" parts of your settlements, but I wonder if they can "loot" it too. It would be a real pain in the rear end to go dungeon crawling and discover when dropping off the new loot at home all your duct tape is gone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

If they are smart (lol), they will have a permissions system for your settlement.

I know other players can "damage" and "destroy" parts of your settlements, but I wonder if they can "loot" it too. It would be a real pain in the rear end to go dungeon crawling and discover when dropping off the new loot at home all your duct tape is gone.

Pretty sure they can't, just like they can't loot what's on you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure they can't, just like they can't loot what's on you.

Your right. It will be rewarded caps for busting up some poor saps house.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Double post

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Well I'm not too worried, sometimes games can sound messy in the planning phase. I'm sure they have plenty of time to iron out these questions before the game releases in *monocle shoots across the room* NOVEMBER?!?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It will probably be a huge mess on release then be a lot better a year later when people figure out how to do private servers with mods.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rinkles posted:

Some new F76 details that you can peruse at your own convenience, like players being immune to other players til level 5 (via reset era via reddit via multiplayer.it)

Is there a link to this in an article somewhere? I don't know what reset era is besides a forum of some sort.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kanos posted:

Is there a link to this in an article somewhere? I don't know what reset era is besides a forum of some sort.

Translated from Italian

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/todd-howard-fallout-76-the-elder-scrolls-6-starfield.html

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Fallout New Vegas: Nice short tutorial time to explore! *cazador swoops in and gibs player* Very good game!

Fallout 76: Nice the tutorial is done and now time to explore! *Mothman swoops in and gibs player* Very bad game!

New Vegas tells you really specifically not to go that way unless you're prepared for a much harder time. You get told by one or two NPCs in Goodsprings, you pass by signs, and finally an NPC in Sloan runs right up to you and interrupts your travel to tell you that you're going to get Deathclawed if you keep it up. If you get gibbed by cazadors and Deathclaws right after you start, it's your own drat fault.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rinkles posted:

Some new F76 details that you can peruse at your own convenience, like players being immune to other players til level 5 (via reset era via reddit via multiplayer.it)

lmao this sounds horrendously bad

like, holy poo poo this is even worse than i expected

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

New Vegas tells you really specifically not to go that way unless you're prepared for a much harder time. You get told by one or two NPCs in Goodsprings, you pass by signs, and finally an NPC in Sloan runs right up to you and interrupts your travel to tell you that you're going to get Deathclawed if you keep it up. If you get gibbed by cazadors and Deathclaws right after you start, it's your own drat fault.

Thanks for clarifying that FNV isnt an open world game, but an on rails shooter.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Thanks for clarifying that FNV isnt an open world game, but an on rails shooter.

:rolleyes:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

i don't think even in the most generous description of an open world game means you can do any content whenever you feel like

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I think they said before that there will be a warning before an area gets nuked, so you'll have an opportunity to gtfo. I don't think nukes are meant to be griefing tools.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I think they said before that there will be a warning before an area gets nuked, so you'll have an opportunity to gtfo. I don't think nukes are meant to be griefing tools.

Which is a huge bummer. Don't get me wrong, I think that dropping a nuke on an area to get better loot and materials is almost absurdly against the major themes of Fallout, but if we're gonna throw that out, at least let me drop nukes on other people.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fallout 76 is fine folks, settle down

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zelder posted:

I think that dropping a nuke on an area to get better loot and materials is almost absurdly against the major themes of Fallout

what

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zelder posted:

Which is a huge bummer. Don't get me wrong, I think that dropping a nuke on an area to get better loot and materials is almost absurdly against the major themes of Fallout, but if we're gonna throw that out, at least let me drop nukes on other people.

Yeah, the nukes seem like another huge example of Bethesda not really locking down what kind of game it was they wanted to make (which isn't to say whatever they end up creating won't be fun). They're mostly just there to be super cool, and I agree that it's not great thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Zelder posted:

i don't think even in the most generous description of an open world game means you can do any content whenever you feel like

Which is why people bumbling into an area as a level 3 character isn't a big deal. You will learn where not to go.

All things in Fallout games since Fallout RTS are noncanon and poo poo in my head.

Excpet Fallout New Vegas. Because the choices in the story!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 3, 2018