Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wizard of Oz-style water.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Air

Because air is always correct.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Time and let her old age work against her?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Matilda's Final Task
In which we have a lovely conversation with our old friend Matilda where nobody ends up in a stew pot, do a few good deeds, and reenact our favorite John Candy film. No, not that one. Not that one either. The one where Eugene Levy does a bunch of space cocaine. ...He did what in one of the American Pie sequels?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I wasn't expecting that to be the actual way to kill her. I guess Hideo Kojima wasn't the first one to make "Let the person die of old age" be a solution to dealing with an old character.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Randalor posted:

Huh, I wasn't expecting that to be the actual way to kill her. I guess Hideo Kojima wasn't the first one to make "Let the person die of old age" be a solution to dealing with an old character.
I interpret it more as us breaking all the time-cheating enchantments she'd woven over the years, essentially unraveling her power instantly by permitting time to flow as it should once more. Granted, aging something is a power the Talisman has displayed twice, and every other time it just freezes everything, but this once I guess it did exactly what you figured it would do.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Bugs, Berries, And Other Wildlife
In which we pollute a river, then touch some insects inappropriately. Life, ah, finds a way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ew

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If your decided solution is 'stroke the abdomen', you really shouldn't be using that size comparison, game.

Pretty nice-looking T-Rex, I must admit.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: It's Still Kinda Racist If They're Catmen
In which we experience yet another vision quest, then get a chance to be a hero. If only we knew which side to be a hero for.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

something about pterodactyl-riding insects attacking an apparently crossbow-armed airship feels like a real missed opportunity for a standard trope. all these years, and has this theme been revisited? maybe it has

i guess the insects might be the good guys this time???

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Will using 'mind' on the battle tell us more about what's going on, or does it count as an attack?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

inscrutable horse posted:

Will using 'mind' on the battle tell us more about what's going on, or does it count as an attack?
I'll give you that one for free: The battle's too chaotic and we're too far away to get any sense of useful information from the Mind/Spirit powers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

i guess the insects might be the good guys this time???

If I recall correctly, they worship the First Cause, which is at least not the Mad One. I don't remember anyone being mentioned previously as riding airships or using crossbows, so who knows what the other side is. But my guess is a highly technological species is unlikely to worship the Lady.

My guesses as to outcomes for our various talisman options:

Fire: re-enacts the Hindenburg disaster, regardless of which side you try to use it on.
Cold: seems unlikely to do much. Might interfere with the pterodactyls.
Wind: fucks both sides up.
Earth: it's a sky fight. What do you think this is gonna do?
Time: is too short of duration to alter things much, plus we may not be able to stop time for anyone but ourselves.
Spirit/Mind: Nakar already said these do nothing.
Lightning: kills some pterodactyls if used against them, or does the Hindenburg again if used on the blimp.

So I'd say lightning the blimp.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Do destroy the blimp, preferably using the almighty element of air.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm hoping we can meet up with some insects and see if they're actually all Aristotelian philosophers, so blimp-smiting sounds like fun.

Whether this is a terrible idea seems like it would rely on whether the First Cause is the Unmoved Mover of all order in the universe, or if it also was the cause of the primal chaos as well. If the former, they worship the power behind all the gods, and if the latter, they may view us as unwanted meddlers in the great cosmic scheme.

... it's also interesting to see that the logic puzzles answers are showing up here. This implies that when we were jousting earlier it was on Zebras.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ManxomeBromide posted:

... it's also interesting to see that the logic puzzles answers are showing up here. This implies that when we were jousting earlier it was on Zebras.

which makes everyone in retrospect even more badass, Zebras absolutely did not brook any attempts at domesticating them.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I wonder why the cat shaman is wearing a zebra mask. It's like if a person went around wearing a mask of a can of spam.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Not really? Human cultures revered conventional foody animals all the time.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Not really? Human cultures revered conventional foody animals all the time.

Some still do.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: A Wizard Knight Intervenes In A Battle Between Pterodactyl-Riding Insects And Airship-Piloting Lizardmen, And This Is Getting A Bit Long But I Really Couldn't Leave Any Of That Out
In which... that happens. The thing I just said.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Aw, I'm sad, I would've hoped for some peace with the bugs or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm from Cesauriensis and I say kill 'em all

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I'm from Cesauriensis and I say kill 'em all

Cesaurienso Delenda Est

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Herpetarium
In which we meet with the wisest lizard wizards, do a bit of environmental cleanup, and finally meet someone who doesn't practice a weird religion. She's still weird, mind, but at least her religion isn't.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm impressed at the amount of writing for various obviously wrong options.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One of these days I'd like to see a story where the protagonist finds the Human City and goes to meet the Council of Humans to get aid on their quest.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'd allow Mass Effect as an example of that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It's a dumb observation, but I think it's cute the lizardfolk have holes in their saddles for their tails.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love that the guard lizard is just the fancy drinks lizard with a sword lazily slapped over his drink.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I love that the guard lizard is just the fancy drinks lizard with a sword lazily slapped over his drink.

just :lol: if your sword hand is not also, simultaneously, your cocktail hand

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Sugar Cravings
In which we lose a footrace with a city, make a new friend or two, and embark on a quest to steal the greatest treasure of all.

SatansOnion posted:

It's really the only civilized way.

I guess the prohibition on alcohol for followers of the Mad One was a memo the Sapiensaurs never got, because they love them their highballs. Even Belisaurius was drinking, in the middle of an air battle no less. Let's just hope he wasn't piloting at the time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SatansOnion posted:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Level Three: Sugar Cravings
In which we lose a footrace with a city, make a new friend or two, and embark on a quest to steal the greatest treasure of all.

This update is amazing. :allears:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

After the genericness of the first maze and the...problems of the second, the third is truly weird in a delightful way.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This update is amazing. :allears:

Definitely my favourite so far.

Nakar posted:

Off we go to the castle of a wizard to steal chocolate cake so a roach-car hybrid can help us chase a skittish floating city.

:allears: Gotta hand it to this game, that is definitely mad.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I love this update! So weird, in all the right ways!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: A Wizard (Of The Kitchen)
In which we infiltrate the second or third castle of our adventure, learn what makes Wicksmear's cake so irresistible to giant insects, and purchase the last clues we'll be needing before visiting the Lair of the Prime Mother. Or at least I hope they're the last clues we need, because there aren't any more to find.

I know it's been quite a drought, but fear not: We won't be getting past the Prime Mother without a nice juicy puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Does anything happen if you try to take the wizard's spellcookbook instead of the cake? Or is it just a generic "the wizard is pissed!" message?

• Locked thread