Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She will squeeze a thing she has in her pocket so hard it becomes a black hole. As it is a tiny mass, it will immediately evaporate into a puff of hawking radiation of energy equivalent to the original mass as dictated by E=mc2. As she is entirely non-penetrative to energy, by cupping her hands around this she should be able the direct the burst as a rocketry impulse to jet her back to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So... She can hadoken?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Everybody always wants me to throw a fireball but that's not right that's not real life.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The good old astronaut with a wrench problem.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

:effort:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
Someone who knows things make a mod for FTL which adds a Jones event.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Hodgepodge posted:

Someone who knows things make a mod for FTL which adds a Jones event.

it gets you a rockman crewmember

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If Jones can generate immeasurable amounts of force with her fingertips, she could just pull a pebble out of her pocket and flick it away from her at tremendous velocity. She'd probably land hundreds of miles downfield, but long walks are her specialty.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Looks like Ys is taking things well!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, he's in good spirits!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mr coyote I dont feel so good

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Well this creepiness bodes well for the next few pages of this thread arguing about Ysengrim and the nature of his relationship with Annie.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If she just went straight up she's going to come straight back down without some prograde dV expenditure.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I bet the bonus page will be Jones in space.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Flashforward to 6 months later :v:

1I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How much do you wanna bet that this is when the 2 week break starts. :v:

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Nah. Gotta be end of the next, this one wasn't quite long enough.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
At first I thought his speech bubble was partially obscured by the trees, which already would have been kind of weird, but instead it's shattering. Disintegrating? What would laughter like that even sound like?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

At first I thought his speech bubble was partially obscured by the trees, which already would have been kind of weird, but instead it's shattering. Disintegrating? What would laughter like that even sound like?

Imagine a cellphone next to a loudspeaker and I think you have a similar effect.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm picturing multiple voices laughing at once, trying to sound cheerful but just coming off as demonic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Brittle.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
He's going to steal her memories isn't he

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well this creepiness bodes well for the next few pages of this thread arguing about Ysengrim and the nature of his relationship with Annie.

We don't have to worry about whether he is creepy anymore, I guess.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BrightWing posted:

He's going to steal her memories isn't he

Take out all the good memories of Tony and the Court, leave all the bad ones, then send her back.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dr Subterfuge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Crimson Harvest posted:

If she just went straight up she's going to come straight back down without some prograde dV expenditure.

The Earth's going to rotate under her, so she'll end up a bit to the west. Depending on how high up she went, she might end up doing the best cannonball the world's ever seen, right into St. George's Channel/the North Atlantic.

I'm kinda wondering what early warning systems around the world are making of the strange, human-sized radar return they're seeing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hremsfeld posted:

The Earth's going to rotate under her, so she'll end up a bit to the west. Depending on how high up she went, she might end up doing the best cannonball the world's ever seen, right into St. George's Channel/the North Atlantic.

I'm kinda wondering what early warning systems around the world are making of the strange, human-sized radar return they're seeing.

She's still got her sideways momentum from the rotation, so I'm not sure it works this way but I can't be arsed to do the math to verify. Orbital mechanics gets complex fast.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somebody whos big into ksp launch a kerbal into space unaided and tell us what the answer is

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a sparkledog did it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bruceski posted:

She's still got her sideways momentum from the rotation, so I'm not sure it works this way but I can't be arsed to do the math to verify. Orbital mechanics gets complex fast.

It's the Coriolis effect. She's got the right amount of sideways momentum for Earth's surface; now that her radius to the center of the earth is a bit bigger, her sideways velocity is too slow to keep up with the ground beneath her.

Of course, I see no reason why she should have gone straight up anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point. Also, it doesn't even look like she went up that far.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tollymain posted:

somebody whos big into ksp launch a kerbal into space unaided and tell us what the answer is

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Gunnerkrigg Court Thread (KSP appreciation station)

First, I parked a buggy a few yards from the launchpad, in order to show how far sideways you'll go by going straight up.

Next, I hastily threw together something approximating a rocket using parts I found laying by the side of the road laboriously designed and assembled the finest rocket ever seen.

Valentina had to exit the capsule, climb up a ladder at a suboptimal angle, and then go in through the door built into the fairing in order to get to the test vehicle, but then we were all set to go!

Liftoff and clearing the tower; despite the modded autopilot program (to simulate Jones, who also is a robot) set to point straight up, there was some wobble at launch which gave about one and a quarter m/s horizontal velocity. Some slight pitch-down after this gets rid of it.

Climbing; despite the the perfectly vertical ascent track and having gotten rid of the horizontal velocity before, Valentina's getting quite a bit more as Kerbin continues to turn below her.

Valentina's orbital trajectory is affected by the 175m/s she got from the rotation of Kerbin on its surface, hence the projected trajectory showing her as landing out in sea, but that tracker doesn't factor in Kerbin's rotation, since that's usually entirely irrelevant when you're in orbit.

Space in KSP is at the 70km line, so now all that's left is to come back down.

After popping the fairing, Valentina's doing just fine on her external command lawnchair.

Ejecting the launch stage on the way back down gave us some spin, and there isn't exactly an attitude control system built into this thing.

So, I'll have to improvise.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get a good shot of actually nudging the deathtrap landing system, but there's no time to recreate it for the camera, since I'm already about 18km into the atmosphere and falling fast.

Fast enough for compression-heating to really get going.

Valentina makes it through only slightly toasty, deploys her parachutes, lands, gets off the lander, and plants the celebratory marker flag.

After that short hop, Valentina ended up about 30 kilometers west of the launchpad

Mission accomplished.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a good post

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jones in spaaace

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i love these dead gay forums, i love Valentina and i love you too, Hremsfeld.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hremsfeld posted:

Mission accomplished.

:five: :five: :kazooieass: :vince:

This is why I spent my 10bux on these forums :allears:

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

Would the fact that UK is far north from the equator influence the distance? Gunnerkrigg is in UK after all, isn't?

Also :five:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's the Coriolis effect. She's got the right amount of sideways momentum for Earth's surface; now that her radius to the center of the earth is a bit bigger, her sideways velocity is too slow to keep up with the ground beneath her.

Of course, I see no reason why she should have gone straight up anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point. Also, it doesn't even look like she went up that far.

Ah, of course. It felt like I was neglecting something big but couldn't put my finger on what. I need to flex my physics muscles more often, I used to be able to do all that stuff in my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hipster Rooster posted:

Would the fact that UK is far north from the equator influence the distance? Gunnerkrigg is in UK after all, isn't?

Also :five:

It would influence the distance, but not the general result.