Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i love death games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

i love death games

It is my favorite trashy manga genre. The "kami-sama no iu toori" series (there are two that take place in the same story with different protagonists) are extremely entertaining.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

I'm still at the beginning of Ashen Hawk but I'm liking it thread and want continue to like it. Please let it be good.

I cleared most of the endings except side stories and it's better than PBB. Jed is a good MC and is def up there w/Cardia. The beginning is a bit draggy though with checking the town map.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still plugging away at Alternative, I feel like there was a bit too much uh 'Spirit of Japan' stuff going on with the coup d'tat plot but the graduation scene got me good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Muv-Luv is in general a little uncomfortably nationalistic at times. I feel it generally does a good job at exploring it through the eyes of someone who is mostly not down with that ideology but it's definitely still there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's been a while since I played MLA, but I thought the coup guys were in the wrong and ultimately the game sides with the need for international co-operation?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's been a while since I played MLA, but I thought the coup guys were in the wrong and ultimately the game sides with the need for international co-operation?

Eh, basically the game condemns their methods but says their intentions were pure, and that they sparked a new wave of pride in Japan, although you're right that it does continue to say that international cooperation is the only way forward. Honestly it could be worse and they do very much make it seem a complicated issue with no easy answers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

depends on whether they call it "co-operation" or "co-prosperity"

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

I cleared most of the endings except side stories and it's better than PBB. Jed is a good MC and is def up there w/Cardia. The beginning is a bit draggy though with checking the town map.

The beginning is def all over the place in terms of pacing but I can't say I even disliked it (quite the contrary!) purely because I loved literally everyone and their interactions with Jed and also because the interviews game me a real jrpg feel. I get that these short stories are optional but in a VN people need to pace them better or allow for viewing at any time (like black butterfly did). I'm still in chapter 2 but that would be my only complaint so far and as I said above I ended up not even minding it. I have No IDEA what people were going on about it being worse than BB. There's so much work put into making these characters tic and one of the problems with BB is that sometimes their personalities were deeply connected to that one incident; while in here they appear to have tons of things going on, so I'm happy that you're saying it's going to pay off well.
Also love the art and love the music. This team needs to make more games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

The beginning is def all over the place in terms of pacing but I can't say I even disliked it (quite the contrary!) purely because I loved literally everyone and their interactions with Jed and also because the interviews game me a real jrpg feel. I get that these short stories are optional but in a VN people need to pace them better or allow for viewing at any time (like black butterfly did). I'm still in chapter 2 but that would be my only complaint so far and as I said above I ended up not even minding it. I have No IDEA what people were going on about it being worse than BB. There's so much work put into making these characters tic and one of the problems with BB is that sometimes their personalities were deeply connected to that one incident; while in here they appear to have tons of things going on, so I'm happy that you're saying it's going to pay off well.
Also love the art and love the music. This team needs to make more games.

It is weird how ppl say it's not good as PBB since I thought there were a lot of problematic moments there. I can tell everyone improved a lot on the sprites, art, and even writing smoothed out a bit since the 1st game. The main issue w/PAH would be how they handled the True Ending vs other endings. We don't know if they will add a 3rd game to the series but I have hope.

btw: I'm hyped for AX which means new localization announcements too.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Does anyone know anything about WILL: A Wonderful World? It looks interesting.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

I was actually looking for the trailer of that the other day without remembering the name. I thought it was a Sekai Project translation, which explains why I couldn't find it. I'm curious about it as well.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
A Light in the Dark is a VN that came out recently from a Taiwanese studio, and I loved it.

(Full disclosure: I worked on the game as a QA tester, so I might have some emotional attachment to it, but I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was good.)

At the start of the game you awaken tied up in a lovely apartment with a strange woman kicking you in the stomach, and things pretty much get worse for you from there. The art is beautiful and contributes greatly to the game's dark, stressful atmosphere, and the music is mostly quiet and low-key but really comes into its own for tense moments. The game mechanics help to build the sense of tension too, with important choices being put on a timer and the game picking for you if you don't make a decision in time. There are significant adventure game elements, with sections of downtime when you can investigate your surroundings to search for a means of escape, or try to talk to your kidnappers about various topics to build a rapport with them or learn about their motives. Your initial goal is to escape alive, but as the game goes on and you learn more details about the situation you're in, you might find yourself wanting to uncover the deeper truth behind your kidnapping and do something about it.

It's kinda short, but there's a ton of choices and several very different endings, so it's designed to be replayed at least a few times. I have 24 hours in it on Steam, so you can consider that an upper bound on playtime from someone exhaustively playing and replaying every route and trying out every option.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 4, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

I've only played about five minutes before I head out to work today but it's already off to a fairly promising start

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I just finished Ashen Hawk. I think the overall story was good but the love interests were almost all bad.

Two of them are your cousins, one of whom is a serial killer. One is the ghost of your uncle. One is the ghost of a hawk? wtf

But I liked Lugus.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While this is true, the shogun is portrayed almost 100% positively, like some avatar of perfect morality and selflessness, and (as mentioned) the coup guys are still portrayed as having good intentions and legitimate concerns. This is in contrast with the Americans who are generally portrayed as lovely/bad with the exception of a few Good Ones. Of course, I don't have the slightest issue with portraying America as being self-interested/bad, since that's pretty accurate, but it's more the contrast between that and the super-idealized way the shogun and Japan are portrayed that's strange (even when Japan does bad, it's has good intentions - which happens to be very similar to the narrative frequently used about WW2 in real life).

It also feels like part of the "moral of that story" is that Takeru has things to learn about ~yamato damashii~ from Meiya.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm a few hours into Will: A Wonderful World and I'm loving it so far. I like the characters and the unique mechanics. My biggest drawback is that, since I want to explore all of the possible routes, often I just brute force the options rather than try to be clever. I hope in the future there will be enough possibilities where that isn't possible.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

I just finished Ashen Hawk. I think the overall story was good but the love interests were almost all bad.

Two of them are your cousins, one of whom is a serial killer. One is the ghost of your uncle. One is the ghost of a hawk? wtf

But I liked Lugus.

Yeahhh about that I groaned since the writers could have handled it 100+ different ways and still make sense :japan:

As soon as I realized everyone was related to Jed I just wanted to end the game right there. Ludgus is good but all the other endings were just unsatisfactory due to how everyone is dead and slowly falling into the abyss. Also, the HS reincarnation moment was awk as hell as I thought everyone was older.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Alder posted:

Yeahhh about that I groaned since the writers could have handled it 100+ different ways and still make sense :japan:

As soon as I realized everyone was related to Jed I just wanted to end the game right there. Ludgus is good but all the other endings were just unsatisfactory due to how everyone is dead and slowly falling into the abyss. Also, the HS reincarnation moment was awk as hell as I thought everyone was older.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the happy ending of going to high school with your dad. ugh

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
You guys here with your spoiler tags on ashen hawk after saying the LIs turn out to be bad and I'm just dying on chapter 2 still. I'm enjoying the game pls don't tell me it becomes bad.

I'm fully expecting Hugh from the descriptions alone to be controversial and I have a feeling about Lavan. however I hope it's like, good storylines controversial LIs and not... scarlet or amnesia kinds of bad LIs

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Meallan posted:

You guys here with your spoiler tags on ashen hawk after saying the LIs turn out to be bad and I'm just dying on chapter 2 still. I'm enjoying the game pls don't tell me it becomes bad.

I'm fully expecting Hugh from the descriptions alone to be controversial and I have a feeling about Lavan. however I hope it's like, good storylines controversial LIs and not... scarlet or amnesia kinds of bad LIs

They are bad in a different way, but you should probably just keep going and see for yourself. The game is really short so once you get to the details we spoiled, you can make an informed decision on whether to get all the endings.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that went bad quick...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

It's closer to low romance so your LI end up being limited in the story. I love all her interactions with the characters and they add to the great exp.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Well that went bad quick...

don't worry he eventually goe sback and undoes all the bad and sad stuff that happens trust me

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

suddenly everyone in Will: A Wonderful World is being sold into sex slavery or drug slavery and I'm not sure how to feel about this one anymore

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

suddenly everyone in Will: A Wonderful World is being sold into sex slavery or drug slavery and I'm not sure how to feel about this one anymore
I can answer that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Odd the steam reviews never mentioned this factoid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It does seem like all the horrible poo poo will go somewhere eventually.

just lol if the "**** plots" screen was meant to be an actual serious heads-up though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You want to **** 2B don't you

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Wow, I've read about 10 hours of Will: A Wonderful World, and I have to say I'm enjoying it, although the VN definately has some issues.

Some of the issues it has (possible minor spoilers):
  • Occasional sloppy writing, particularly in reusing certain elements over and over
  • Sometimes it feels like it wants to be overly edgy in a somewhat juvenile way
  • Mild homophobia and transphobia

Good things
  • Likable characters
  • Good music
  • Using its mechanics to convey morals (spoilery details below the list)
  • Using its mechanics to make you laugh
  • Occasional particularly good writing (especially the light, humorous stories)

The spoiler point below contains major spoilers (for about 10 hours of play time):

One of the thing that just blew my mind was how it used its mechanics to tell a moral. Getting only S endings to situations leads to suboptimal final outcomes. I've never seen mechanics tell a moral before. Holy poo poo.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 4, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

dmboogie posted:

Please keep us updated in case it somehow goes terribly wrong in the end! this seems exactly my jam but I've got other stuff to play through so I wouldn't buy it right away, anyways
Good news: it didn't. Thumbs up all around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which VN started off the whole parallel universes thing that's pretty much a media cliche at this point anyway?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
YU-NO might be the first one I can think of but I'm not sure on how influential it was.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
IIRC Yu-no was the highest rated game ever on EGS up to just a few years ago. It can probably be assumed to be decently influential.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh huh apparently that's getting an anime this year.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

thark posted:

IIRC Yu-no was the highest rated game ever on EGS up to just a few years ago. It can probably be assumed to be decently influential.

Ah..yes, probably, then :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Equally, I think we can all agree that most games that involve time loops are cribbing from the classic film Koi wa Deja Vu.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Finally started Fate Morgana yesterday. Made it through the first door and am a good way into the second, and drat this game is doing things. I'm still not quite sure what those things are, but I'm definitely thankful to the goon who gifted me a copy!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Psychedelica of The Ashen Hawk Review: http://ec2-54-84-239-207.compute-1.amazonaws.com/psychedelia-of-the-ashen-hawk-review/

I wish more ppl played otome so I can find fellow fans to obsess over anime BFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:smith: