Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Blizzard has the advantage of an unrestricted view of player behavior. So if Dungeon B is getting 300% more traffic than Dungeon A, it doesn't matter how many top 1% players say A is just better, when B is actually where players spend time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m kind of on the edge of starting a long-running Dungeon World campaign cause I do want to try going the distance, but getting enough people together regularly is like pulling teeth. :shepicide: Players have a tendency to skip for the night, show up late, drop out, not be good fits, etc. I’ve been sticking to oneshots and the like specifically because us millennials are terrible at commitment and attendance...among a couple other issues. One day I’ll get to do a campaign.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
How to get people to try things other than D&D came to mind fairly recently when I posted my previous rant after the group I was in carefully ignored any attempts to pitch Strike! and then jumped instantly on a D&D game when it was offered by someone else (heaven forbid we try anything I'd feel initially uncomfortable GMing, so much for practice making perfect (grumble grumble snip))

What a friend did point out to me at the time is that when people say "I don't really care what system we play.." they don't mean that. They mean "I want to play a system we already know.", because learning a new system would be :effort: and, since they don't care, they have no reason to make it. (Which is much better that what I'd previously assumed, which was "they don't care what system we play, so I'm the problem.")

But the problem is that like it or not, there are factors other than network effect which make D&D popular, which indies could address and don't - usually to do with organic feel-based properties of the rules. The fact that there's a different "feel" to playing a wizard than playing a fighter is important, and while they're unbalanced, relatively few systems try to retain that feel difference while balancing them - and if they do, they inevitably do it the exact same way D&D did. The fact that there's a Strength or Intelligence or whatever number that goes up apart from text blocks is important. The fact that there's standard adventures is important.

Video games generally do acknowledge this much better (I remember reading that Bejeweled, the old puzzle game, spent a fair while deciding that the objects in the game should be jewels and found that people enjoyed it more just because they were)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad my group just goes along with whatever system I suggest to them

Serf
May 5, 2011

I do most of my gaming online now, so assembling a group is just a matter of posting a recruit thread here or finding an online community for the game I want to run and making a post there. I do remember after my group stopped playing when we graduated I used to look at the corkboard over at the LGS and it was nothing but D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder. I keep looking whenever I go in and now it is nothing but D&D 5e and Pathfinder, with one lonely game of Vampire.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, the solution is don't play or run D&D or D&D-likes, and pitch games that are not those things to your group, and if no one in the group is interested in playing or running things that are not D&D, find another group. There's no other way forward than for people to individually choose to push non-D&D games.

hyphz posted:

But the problem is that like it or not, there are factors other than network effect which make D&D popular, which indies could address and don't - usually to do with organic feel-based properties of the rules. The fact that there's a different "feel" to playing a wizard than playing a fighter is important, and while they're unbalanced, relatively few systems try to retain that feel difference while balancing them - and if they do, they inevitably do it the exact same way D&D did. The fact that there's a Strength or Intelligence or whatever number that goes up apart from text blocks is important. The fact that there's standard adventures is important.

There are plenty of games that maintain meaningful differences between characters that aren't "fighter" and "wizard" classes, or that have published adventures, so I don't think this point is in any way true.

The only people who specifically want wizards and fighters and STR and INT are people who want to play D&D specifically for some reason or another, and those people generally fall into two categories:
  1. people who have played D&D and want something with stats/classes/levels/feats/etc. because they enjoyed those things;
  2. people who have never played a roleplaying before but have only heard about D&D and are consequently assuming that a roleplaying game has to have stats/classes/levels/feats/etc.
For the former, you can run something that is like D&D but better-designed, and for the latter you can run literally anything else after you explain to them that D&D isn't the only RPG, because there's probably something they're more interested in than elven wizards and dwarven fighters battling orcs (and if there isn't, see a.).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny because the people who realize need to pay attention to high-quality production values and marketing are folks like Paizo and Monte Cook, so you do end up with moderately popular RPG alternatives such as ... Numenera and Pathfinder!!!

That also comes from having a real actual company built up. And they got the fans to support that.... by being big names in 3e D&D first.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Spiteski posted:

I think part of that is intentional, no? Like, trying to capture the massive market by appealing to the DnD masses with nifty taglines "It's like DnD, but with BETTER ROLEPLAYING" or, "Imagine DnD but good!"
Easier to sell that than to sell "It's like DnD, but it's sci fi, and it's not using a D20, and instead of attacking hit points, you just do stunts that have verbose outcomes" or whatever else. Too much 'other' just makes people turn off.
Eh, I'd argue that some of the most popular stuff besides D&D is almost defined in opposition to it, while there are literally hundreds of games that tried to be "D&D but fixed" or "different from D&D but not too different" and flopped miserably.

Blockhouse posted:

"I'm not saying it's bad just that D&D being popular makes me sad"

y'all are weird about D&D
I can enjoy megabudget blockbusters and realize it's bad that the entire film industry is based around them.

Edit: And also recognize that they contain superficial features I enjoy but are fundamentally a loving wreck most of the time.

moths posted:

Blizzard has the advantage of an unrestricted view of player behavior. So if Dungeon B is getting 300% more traffic than Dungeon A, it doesn't matter how many top 1% players say A is just better, when B is actually where players spend time.
Video game designers also have the benefit of being able to see objectively how a design element has consequences that may or may not be what they intended. If something is badly balanced or produces the opposite of the intended behaviour, it's usually hard to argue against that. In tabletop you can always argue that it's up to the people at the table to make the game do what it's supposed to do.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In terms of what is played on Roll20, the most popular RPGs after D&D all have at least two and usually all of the following characteristics:

- they're high-crunch games
- with extremely recognizable settings
- that also have the advantage of being old / having name recognition

Fantasy Grounds is (apparently) very similar except that they have a surprisingly large Savage Worlds playerbase.

Physical sales according to ICv2 are also similar, except with an even stronger emphasis on "recognizable settings" -- Star Wars and Lord of the Rings pop up a lot.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

It is good, or at least most of the editions that aren't 3rd or 5th that is

Nobody's playing those, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In terms of what is played on Roll20, the most popular RPGs after D&D all have at least two and usually all of the following characteristics:

- with extremely recognizable settings
- that also have the advantage of being old / having name recognition

Fantasy Grounds is (apparently) very similar except that they have a surprisingly large Savage Worlds playerbase.

One thing I've noticed is that Savage Worlds has a very active community. I follow their G+ community and there are daily posts, oftentimes a dozen or more, which is huge in comparison to the non-D&D communities I follow.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's probably an anglosphere thing bc if anything I have trouble convincing people to play 4e and 3.5/5E if anything are just as popular as like loving Iron Kingdoms

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure how important that truly is in terms of figuring out overall trends based on roll20 data, since it's impossible to play e.g. D&D online without a VTT but you don't really need one for non-crunchy/-tactical games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Actually, is WHFRP big in the UK? I assume so since it's the birthplace of that franchise

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not sure how important that truly is in terms of figuring out overall trends based on roll20 data, since it's impossible to play e.g. D&D online without a VTT but you don't really need one for non-crunchy/-tactical games.

It probably matters quite a bit, which is why I went back and looked for something on physical sales as well.

Unfortunately surveying what people play in Discord channels and PBP doesn't really have an easy hook, but let me see about DriveThruRPG sales.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My point is that roll20 is naturally going to skew more heavily towards crunchy games because it's a tool that you need to run crunchy games online, but not to run stuff that doesn't require a grid.

Doesn't change that D&D and D&D-derivatives are the most popular thing in the hobby, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DriveThruRPG top sellers list:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/top_100.php

tl;dr -- Mostly Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, OSR stuff, RuneQuest, Star Trek, World of Darkness, Genesys, along with a couple of especially well-known light RPGs (Dungeon World is right up there along with Blades in the Dark.)

There's probably a lot of churn as new titles come out, and obviously systems with a lot of books stand out more than ones that are one-and-done, but there you are.

Lemon-Lime posted:

My point is that roll20 is naturally going to skew more heavily towards crunchy games because it's a tool that you need to run crunchy games online, but not to run stuff that doesn't require a grid.

Doesn't change that D&D and D&D-derivatives are the most popular thing in the hobby, of course.

Sorry, what I meant by that was that what you pointed out about Roll20 probably makes a big difference -- I misread the phrasing of your post, I think.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Plutonis posted:

Actually, is WHFRP big in the UK? I assume so since it's the birthplace of that franchise

Not in my experience. There was a moment where it was a thing but it really is pretty challenging to get people out of the comfort zone of DnD.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sorry but the most famous online RPG site is called roll20 and we're wondering if it's really D&D that is seen as the default RPG

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

Not in my experience. There was a moment where it was a thing but it really is pretty challenging to get people out of the comfort zone of DnD.

There's also the problem that there's no current edition of WFRP - WFRP2 is 15 years old and you need pirated PDFs or to get lucky and find a second-hand copy in good condition, and 3 is even worse because you need to find a big/expensive box with custom components that only saw a limited print run because FFG.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's also the problem that there's no current edition of WFRP - WFRP2 is 15 years old and you need pirated PDFs or to get lucky and find a second-hand copy in good condition

Humble Bundle put out a collection of official WHFR2 pdfs about a year ago, so someone is presumably selling them still.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just want to find a WFRP 2e core pdf with bookmarks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol. Another Games Workshop success story.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's also the problem that there's no current edition of WFRP - WFRP2 is 15 years old and you need pirated PDFs or to get lucky and find a second-hand copy in good condition, and 3 is even worse because you need to find a big/expensive box with custom components that only saw a limited print run because FFG.

Good news! Cubicle 7 is releasing WFRP2E PDFs on Drivethrurpg nice and legal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Foglet posted:

But enough about some of the most vocal figures in the so called OSR movement.

Just because some of the people in the OSR movement are assholes doesn't mean everyone involved is one

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody's playing those, though.

Depends on whether we count OSR/Retroclones in that regard, cause if we do I'd say there's a decent amount

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Humble Bundle put out a collection of official WHFR2 pdfs about a year ago, so someone is presumably selling them still.

GimpInBlack posted:

Good news! Cubicle 7 is releasing WFRP2E PDFs on Drivethrurpg nice and legal.

Good point, I forgot C7 got the rights to republish WFRP2 PDFs when they got rights to make WFRP4.

That makes obtaining WFRP2 less hard, at least, though you're still asking people to devote time/money to a 15 year old game with no ongoing support, which absolutely does matter when it comes to getting new people to run it (as opposed to getting people who've played WFRP2 before to run WFRP2).

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I’m kind of on the edge of starting a long-running Dungeon World campaign cause I do want to try going the distance, but getting enough people together regularly is like pulling teeth. :shepicide: Players have a tendency to skip for the night, show up late, drop out, not be good fits, etc. I’ve been sticking to oneshots and the like specifically because us millennials are terrible at commitment and attendance...among a couple other issues. One day I’ll get to do a campaign.

I play in an online weekly long running DW campaign and DM a long running weekly in-person 5E campaign (I know, I know). Here's a couple of tips I would give if you want to set up a on-going campaign

1) If possible recruit a couple of extra people over the number you are actually targeting for the campaign. Then when people have life happen you still have a quorum to play. Worse case everyone shows up and you have to tweak encounters on the fly a bit, which isn't too hard for most systems.

2) Choose one: Find out what night of the week and start time works for the most people and lock it down so it becomes a regularly scheduled thing for them. OR use something like whenisgood.com to schedule sessions a month in advance. This option is much harder to make work, YMMV. The key is make your sessions something people can plan around well in advance of the actual sessions.

3) If there is going to be a break in the regular game because you GM has a newborn, is getting burned out, or whatever have a plan for someone else to run a minicampaign or some oneshots once in awhile. It gives your GM a break and everyone else a low pressure way to try out that system they've been reading up on. Don't let your regularly scheduled sessions get cancelled entirely or you will have to restart building "schedule momentum" from scratch.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

drrockso20 posted:

Depends on whether we count OSR/Retroclones in that regard, cause if we do I'd say there's a decent amount

"Nobody's playing 3.5 or 4e anymore."
'Ah, yes, but if we expand our definition of those absolute concepts, I'm sure we'll find something useful.'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sion posted:

"Nobody's playing 3.5 or 4e anymore."
'Ah, yes, but if we expand our definition of those absolute concepts, I'm sure we'll find something useful.'

You're twisting my words around and I don't like that

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Just because some of the people in the OSR movement are assholes doesn't mean everyone involved is one

Maybe you shouldn't choose to associate yourself with a "movement" where a not-insignificant amount of the highly visible voices are a collection of people who want to drag the hobby back 30-40 years in terms of both design sensibilities and demographics?

Just go "I like AD&D" instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe you shouldn't choose to associate yourself with a "movement" where a not-insignificant amount of the highly visible voices are a collection of people who want to drag the hobby back 30-40 years in terms of both design sensibilities and demographics?

Do you have a need to be such an rear end in a top hat all the time? I didn't like most of the retro clones I played until now but I don't make this kind of judgement.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

If I did that there wouldn't be a single thing I like I'd be able to continue associating with, every form of hobby and media has it's assholes, and in most of them it's just an obnoxious minority who are that way

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It’s just a genre, not a movement.

Anyway, gently caress I want to play a decent sci-fi game. Anything good that isn’t PbtA

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyway, gently caress I want to play a decent sci-fi game. Anything good that isn’t PbtA

battle Century G

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When it’s faster to list the people who claim the label of OSR and aren’t racist and/or sex pests the label might be a problem, actually.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's fair to point out that one particular gaming niche has sheltered a particularly reactionary wing of hateful people or remained quiet about its existence over openly condemning or disowning them. They're not solely responsible for its ongoing existence, of course, and plenty of industry people working in other systems or companies have been just as willing to silence and dismiss concerns brought to them. It would be best for people in that niche to speak out, but it's a problem nobody wants to confront.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also don't call membership in a consumer group a 'movement' ffs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Fragged Empire is great

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm currently eyeing Stars Without Number. The Revised edition seems pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Can I get a sci-fi game with an actual setting? I don’t really care for system neutral stuff or bland stuff like Fragged Empire or SWN. Never really liked setting agnostic stuff in general.